test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

a run in with a toxic player

hey everyone, today i had a run in with a toxic player when i was trying to sell two ships (a Undine Nicor Bio-Warship and a Voth Bastion Flight-Deck Cruiser) i had tryed to sell them on the exchange but they were not selling so when i go them back off the exchange i wanted to sell them so i started asking in chat if anyone would like to buy them off me? so i was asking the same price as the exchange witch is 7 million ec each and then i had someone pm me saying "thats the same price and on the exchange" and i told them "i know but no one seems to by buying off the exchange so im trying to sell them through the chat to see if i could get them sold that way" (and i wasn't spamming chat with my message i had sent the message twice in 15 mins) then i got a 2nd message from this player saying "good luck with that...cheating the player base never works". I was shocked by this? how was i cheating the player base? is it because i wasn't selling on the exchange and selling over the chat?

if anyone can tell me how i was "cheating the player base" please let me know and if Any of You that may read this have run into toxic players over the year post about it, i would like to read run ins with the toxic players on Sto

Comments

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
    Sell them on the exchange slightly below the lowest asking price, you may have a better chance
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
      Some players in STO are just idiots, plain and simple.

You weren't doing anything wrong and certainly not cheating anyone. Plus if someone wants to buy from a person in chat and doesn't check the exchange prices first then the jokes on them, because you should always see what the sensible price is anyway.
      You just picked the same price hoping to grab attention in chat as opposed to the ex, nothing wrong there, people do it all the time. Maybe lower the price slightly below the ex price to get more attention but that's not cheating.
      SulMatuul.png
    • Options
      where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
      edited July 2018
      LOL! Well, I got my laugh off of the STO Forums this morning. Thanks OP.

And, no, you are not cheating...not helping yourself, either.
      Just keep relisting, if you don't want to drop the price.
      "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    • Options
      seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      That's your idea of a 'toxic player?'

That response was pretty tame overall. I agree, you weren't doing anything dishonest or trying to cheat anyone, but it also wasn't a very good strategy.

I am saying this to help you.. I am not bashing on you. If that type if response offends you, then you really need to just stick to the exchange and stay out of Zone chat or Private Trades. That response was downright friendly compared to some of the stuff you're going to get if people think you're spamming. Again, I am not saying you were, but the community needs very little provocation before they're going to say much worse then that.

List them on the exchange, match the lowest price and give it a little time. They'll sell.
      Insert witty signature line here.
    • Options
      fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,806 Arc User
      Everything that needed to be said, has been said but I needed to post here because of something I saw. So, just to remain on topic I'll repeat what has been said: you didn't cheat, OP.

Now, on to my actual message: that is a great sig pic @theraven2378
      [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    • Options
      @fleetcaptain5, something I found on Deviant art
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,806 Arc User
        @fleetcaptain5, something I found on Deviant art

Aww! Well, it's still great :)

Deviantart too btw.
        [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
      • Options
        Back on topic, OP, be patient with the exchange. Best advice I can give ya
        NMXb2ph.png
        • Options
          postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
          Selling ships on the exchange will take a while and as for your "critic", ignore them and move on.

Not as toxic as they might have been but I can't see how they'd consider someone advertising an item for a face to face sale as cheating.
        • Options
          salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
          Generally, it's considered poor form to try and sell items via chat for the exact same price as the exchange especially if it's in a trade channel that prohibits such pricing. Generally, you want to price items a decent amount under exchange prices if you want someone to actually buy your items. So if an item was listed for 7 million on the exchange, a typical price would be to offer to sell for 6.5 million or something like that.
          When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
        • Options
          protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,991 Arc User
          Zone chat is a bit of a jungle. That wasn't toxic at all compared to what I've seen over the years including a couple of exchanges involving but not initiated by myself which would be unprintable here. At the same time have seen some really nice people trying to help others by answering their questions (if they can get a word in edgewise). Sometimes I just turn zone off for a little peace and quiet.
        • Options
          meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
          LOL. Someone telling you "that's the same price and on the exchange" is *not* being toxic.

If this was the known trading channel, and someone told you "good luck with that...cheating the player base never works," then it may not have been the nicest thing to say, ever, but I understand where they're coming from, as it's generally deemed 'not done' (by the channel's etiquette standards) to try and sell something at a higher or same price even as on Exchange: the rationale for that being, that your offer needs to be worthwhile, as it were. Otherwise, everyone would just spam the channel with their own Exchange listings. So, my guess is, that by making a 'same-as-on-Exchange' price offer, some ppl might have felt you were trying to pretend you actually had a better-than-Exchange offer (hence, felt you were cheating).

I am not a channel operator, or in any way officially associated with it; so, anyone feel free to correct me if I got it wrong; but that's how I've always understood the policy.
          3lsZz0w.jpg
        • Options
          arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
          Sell them on the exchange slightly below the lowest asking price, you may have a better chance

That has always worked for me when I wanted a relatively quick sale. I post at @ 5-10% less than what's there and normally sell within 24 hours.

LTS and loving it.
          Ariotex.png
        • Options
          markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
          or just a few EC. anything to put your entry at the top of the list.
          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          My character Tsin'xing
          Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
        • Options
          ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
          People in the Trade Channel are the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human beings I've ever known in my life. It used to be that you’d never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than in the Trade Channels before the searchlights came on and they raised the Exchange Cap to 1.5 Million EC. It looks like it also took a toll on that Fleet.
          'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
          Judge Dan Haywood
          'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
          l don't know.
          l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
          That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
          Lt. Philip J. Minns
        • Options
          casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
          First of all. People with different opinions than yours aren't "toxic". You just view things differently.

I've had my share of argues with mentally-challenged individuals here. But that doesn't change the fact that there's a great bunch of reliable and friendly folks here. I'd totally "name" them here, but since naming is forbidden, regardless of the good or bad intentions, I can't.

From my perspective, 7m for an admiralty ship is a salty price. But it's a wallet-voting industry. If someone buys, the price/product stays the same or becomes expensive/worse in quality.

You can advertise in chat, as long as on the channel there is no "anti-trade" rule enforcing the chat. There is no such thing as spamming. Spamming is usually the sign of persevering in the attempt of moving the rock and trading your stuff.

I had a discussion with an attempted scammer who had the same attitude you bring here (not implying that you're a scammer, but he wore the same sheep clothing).

The guy tried to rip-off newbie pay-users into selling them stuff for 2.5x-3.0x the market price.
          He also tried to coerce users into buying a certain doff that he'd promise to pay alot of cash for, out of roleplay reasons. (which was an obvious force-buy scam).
          And I don't think I have to write the whole list here of attempted scams the guy had on his record.

He reported me for harrasment and I had a civilized discussion with the CS department. Now he can't join any of the fleets or armadas which I'm in or which operate with us, directly or indirectly because he is a trust risk and rip-off scammer/newbie exploiter.

In order to stay safe, don't trust people who ask risky things and don't try to coerce users into any activity that might look fishy. Feel free to post your prices and advertise your stuff, but be mature and prepared to engage in conversations without calling people who say things you don't like as "toxic".
        • Options
          ltminns wrote: »
          People in the Trade Channel are the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human beings I've ever known in my life. It used to be that you’d never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than in the Trade Channels before the searchlights came on and they raised the Exchange Cap to 1.5 Million EC. It looks like it also took a toll on that Fleet.

There are actually some very generous individuals in this game, especially -- and maybe contrary to expectation -- ppl who are normally hated on, by a certain segment of the population, just because they're wealthy. You know how ppl often say, "I'm not made of money; I'm not ***"? (Naming names is not allowed here, but you know who I mean). That guy just gave me an Astika, the other day, out of the blue: merely because I was routinely mentioning (on another channel, where he resides too), that Supremacy is still something I needed for my Jem, and that I'd probably get that ship too one day. Not everyone who's wealthy is scum, or out to get you. (Not implying you were saying that, but just saying) Some ppl are simply decent folks, in their RL business affairs, as well as here in-game.
          3lsZz0w.jpg
        • Options
          or just a few EC. anything to put your entry at the top of the list.

You don't even need to do that, if you post it at the exact same price as the lowest one the newer listing is always the top one. No need to under cut unless you want a really quick sale, in fact seriously under cutting may actually cost you more because it has the potential to start a downward price war. In that situation everyone selling loses out as the prices drop.
          SulMatuul.png
        • Options
          warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
          Generally, if undercutting the market price results it a downward spiral (rather than some cunning arbitrageur buying the item and reselling at what they think it's really worth), that indicates the previous market price was too high.
        • Options
          baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
          lol, that was not even close to toxic.
          Go pro or go home
        • Options
          darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
          Unless you were spamming it every other line you didn't break any rules. You're free to ask whatever you want though most folks won't bite on a private sale if you're asking full exchange price. Usually whenever folks are looking for a private sale they're looking for it at a discount of some type. The average player is going to think "why buy it from this guy when I could just get it from the exchange." As for guy's comment regarding cheating the playerbase it was rude for certain, but not what I would consider full blown toxicity.
          "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
        • Options
          bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
          If I see someone in a zone chat trying to sell anything for the same price it goes for on the excahnge. I assume they are up to no good. That assumption is often correct.

People are not above doing things like buying 3-4 ships when there is a price gap... and then trying to quickly convince some zone noob that their limited time offer is a great deal and they should pull the trigger. That type of stuff is applauded in a game like eve but not so much in STO.

Granted in this case your talking little T5 ships that are basically throw away admiralty and in general don't sell for much anymore. So I believe you that you just wanted to move them. As others have said if that's the case list them 500k - 1mil ec lower then the cheapest on the exchange and they will sell with in an hour or so depending on the time of day.
        • Options
          bobs1111 wrote: »
          If I see someone in a zone chat trying to sell anything for the same price it goes for on the excahnge. I assume they are up to no good. That assumption is often correct.

People are not above doing things like buying 3-4 ships when there is a price gap... and then trying to quickly convince some zone noob that their limited time offer is a great deal and they should pull the trigger. That type of stuff is applauded in a game like eve but not so much in STO.

Granted in this case your talking little T5 ships that are basically throw away admiralty and in general don't sell for much anymore. So I believe you that you just wanted to move them. As others have said if that's the case list them 500k - 1mil ec lower then the cheapest on the exchange and they will sell with in an hour or so depending on the time of day.

Ummm, what are you talking about?
          If i list a ship in chat for 7M EC and on the Exchange it is going for 7M EC how am i doing anything shady? Anyone can check the exchange at any time so there's never a reason to be conned on a price of something someone is selling. I'm just not understanding how you can think someone is automatically up to no good, simply from a chat post.
          Stuff sells for what people are willing to pay, and if someone pays above Ex price or doesn't check first, well it's their own fault.
          I don't care if people post items in zone chat; makes a break from all the usual fleet recruit spam, Gorn jokes and political nastiness. ;)
          SulMatuul.png
        • Options
          lordsteve1 wrote: »

If i list a ship in chat for 7M EC and on the Exchange it is going for 7M EC how am i doing anything shady? Anyone can check the exchange at any time so there's never a reason to be conned on a price of something someone is selling. I'm just not understanding how you can think someone is automatically up to no good, simply from a chat post.
          Stuff sells for what people are willing to pay, and if someone pays above Ex price or doesn't check first, well it's their own fault.
          I don't care if people post items in zone chat; makes a break from all the usual fleet recruit spam, Gorn jokes and political nastiness. ;)

Zone chat is irrelevant (in more than 1 ways). But, FYI, the Trading Channel has a specific rule about it, which states "All deals must be better than exchange prices."
          3lsZz0w.jpg
        • Options
          warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
          Zone chat. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. :D
        • Options
          meimeitoo wrote: »

Zone chat is irrelevant (in more than 1 ways). But, FYI, the Trading Channel has a specific rule about it, which states "All deals must be better than exchange prices."

Yeah i'm aware of the rules various trade channels may have, but as this was in (i'm assuming) zone chat then there's no rules. There's also no indication the OP was doing anything to cheat anyone, or acting suspect or whatever. It might not have been the best place to post it, nor the best way to get a sale by offering ex prices, but it's not wrong in that it deserves pm's accusing them of cheating.
          SulMatuul.png
        • Options
          anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
          warpangel wrote: »
          Zone chat. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. :D

Clearly, you've never tuned into the government channel.
          Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
          Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
          Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
        • Options

I'm kinda looking at the from the opposite angle: why would someone *not* use the proper venue to try sell something? (Namely, the Exchange) Like Bob's Burg... err, bobs1111 said, a listing like that would immediately feel fishy to me. Not that I would ever say something about it, but I woud be wary, yes, and, for absolute certain, check the Exchange first (at which point I would just buy it off Exchange itself, is sort of the point).
          3lsZz0w.jpg
        This discussion has been closed.