test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Removal of Federation Costume options for Jem'Hadar

The latest patch removed various federation costume options for the new Jem'Hadar characters.

I saw this and thought it annoying at first but meh, whatever. Then I realized it also removed BOUGHT pieces from the costume options.
We have access for example to the intel costume for all characters, except now the Jem'Hadar. I bought the mining gear from the Dilithium Mine fleet holding. Cannot use it with my Jem'Hadar.

This means that without a warning we can waste dilithium and fleet credit on costumes our character cannot access. Additionally for some of us we SPENT before the change.

I urge you to open the costume creator back up to the Jem'Hadar, and consider opening it up more to other characters as well. We have canon instances of Federation characters wearing Klingon Armor, and our community is BIG on the whole "Space Barbie" play.
We deserve to be able to make the costumes and look of our characters our own, whether that be making canon outfits, or making our own standards.

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    KDF'hadar never got to use any of those so the Fed'hadar having them was a bug and they fixed it.... dealwithit
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    KDF'hadar never got to use any of those so the Fed'hadar having them was a bug and they fixed it.... dealwithit

Yeah, how dare someone want a feature that potentially cost players money to stick around!

Who ever heard of the captain of a Starfleet starship with a Starfleet crew wearing a standard Starfleet outfit? I sure am glad most of us here are smart enough to know how ridiculous that sounds!
    [/sarcasm]
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    (Discussion of moderation removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    Pretty sure the cross faction options like the intel are SUPPOSED to be available. Also I don't see why non faction specific outfits like the miner, Krenim, and Dyson would be removed as well.

We should probably know by next Thursday if that particular axe was unintentional.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited June 2018

It's not for the uniforms that the tread dissapears is for the insistence of gender issues with the Jem'hadar, anyway, we need acces to some parts or other uniforms for a lot of chars..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    gaevsman wrote: »

It's not for the uniforms that the tread dissapears is for the insistence of gender issues with the Jem'hadar, anyway, we need acces to some parts or other uniforms for a lot of chars..

The removal of costume options is disappointing, but I doubt they will go back on it. Customization is a large part of player experience and I generally oppose any decision that removes that customization unless there is an obvious story or setting related reason why it can't happen. Allowing Jem'Hadar access to a mining outfit is a perfect example of an option that didn't need to be removed.

Unless there is a game or story breaking reason, customization options should not be removed. Again, though it won't matter, it's clear that Cryptic is not accepting any 'feedback' on this issue. You'll probably have to discuss it further over on reddit since discussions aren't commonly allowed on this site under the current 'regime.'
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2018
    I said it before, and I'll say it again.

I believe Cryptic overdid it a bit here, even locking out cross-faction outfits like the Intel Uniforms (which cleary states in its C-Store description that it is available to all captains).

I can understand locking out traditional Faction-specific uniforms, but the cross-faction ones? Not cool. :(

Edit: My bad, the C-Store says "every character on an account", not "all captains".
    Post edited by orion0029 on
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Nothing needed to be removed. No customization option ever ever needs to be removed for any reason.

Bad move.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Nothing needed to be removed. No customization option ever ever needs to be removed for any reason.

Bad move.

Starfleet uniforms being used by characters who aren't in Starfleet needed to be removed. Anything that is able to be used by every other faction should be able to be used by Jems as well.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    anodynes wrote: »

Bad move.

Starfleet uniforms being used by characters who aren't in Starfleet needed to be removed.
    No, they didn't.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User

Bad move.

Starfleet uniforms being used by characters who aren't in Starfleet needed to be removed. Anything that is able to be used by every other faction should be able to be used by Jems as well.

Why though? What actual justification is there for taking away the Starfleet uniforms, aside from "hurr durr exclusivity"? If a Jem'Hadar is flying a Galaxy class starship, with a crew compliment of Starfleet and enlisted Federation officers, allied with the Federation to the point where they have all the rights and freedoms of said Federation, why in Q's name would they not be allowed to wear a Starfleet uniform?
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    In-Universe, I think it's supossed to be illegal to wear a Starfleet uniform if you're not a Starfleet Officer.

Real World, I have no idea why the uniforms would be any different than the rest of the stuff that doesn't quite follow the show.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    orion0029 wrote: »
    I said it before, and I'll say it again.

I believe Cryptic overdid it a bit here, even locking out cross-faction outfits like the Intel Uniforms (which cleary states in its C-Store description that it is available to all captains).

I can understand locking out traditional Faction-specific uniforms, but the cross-faction ones? Not cool. :(

^^ Very much this! An astute and sensible analysis!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Unless there is a game or story breaking reason, customization options should not be removed. Again, though it won't matter, it's clear that Cryptic is not accepting any 'feedback' on this issue. You'll probably have to discuss it further over on reddit since discussions aren't commonly allowed on this site under the current 'regime.'

Same!

I run the risk of getting censored too, but, in the most general of terms, I do not appreciate topics declared an 'F.C.T', merely because someone doesn't like what they're hearing. An F.C.T, and feel free to correct me, was meant to block off endlessly recurring questions, to which known answers already exist. This costume thingy is an entirely new issue altogether.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    tyler002 wrote: »
    In-Universe, I think it's supossed to be illegal to wear a Starfleet uniform if you're not a Starfleet Officer.
    And the Dominion, of course, is oh so devoted to following Federation laws to the letter. B)
    Real World, I have no idea why the uniforms would be any different than the rest of the stuff that doesn't quite follow the show.
    It's all totally arbitrary. Starfleet characters can wear jem'hadar clothes, why not the reverse?
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

Bad move.

Why though? What actual justification is there for taking away the Starfleet uniforms, aside from "hurr durr exclusivity"? If a Jem'Hadar is flying a Galaxy class starship, with a crew compliment of Starfleet and enlisted Federation officers, allied with the Federation to the point where they have all the rights and freedoms of said Federation, why in Q's name would they not be allowed to wear a Starfleet uniform?

Bad move.

Starfleet uniforms being used by characters who aren't in Starfleet needed to be removed.
    No, they didn't.

Yes, they did. Your Jem"Hadar isn't in Starfleet. As long as that distinction remains, even if there's no real difference between what he is and a Starfleet officer as far as game mechanics goes, he shouldn't be wearing a Starfleet uniform. You might want it as an option, but that's just not a good enough justification for it. The justification for taking them away is that your Jem'Hadar who is allied to Starfleet is not in Starfleet, the same way that your Romulan who is allied to Starfleet is not in Starfleet, and therefore can't use their uniforms. There is no evidence that they have all of the rights and freedoms of Federation citizens, and even if they did, they are still not in Starfleet, therefore they should not be wearing Starfleet uniforms.

Now I would be all for them removing factions mechanically, and then allowing us to fly whatever we want and wear whatever we want, but that isn't the game that we have, and as long as the game that we have has factions, even with just minuscule distinctions between them that might as well not even be there, then the uniforms of one faction should not be shared with the others.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    Now I would be all for them removing factions mechanically, and then allowing us to fly whatever we want and wear whatever we want, but that isn't the game that we have, and as long as the game that we have has factions, even with just minuscule distinctions between them that might as well not even be there, then the uniforms of one faction should not be shared with the others.

You're sooooo missing the point, it's scary, really. :) Way I read this thread, is as most ppl saying they understand a Fed-aligned Jem can't wear a Klink uniform. All rather reasonable. But the Intel suit?! I paid for that, with the guarantee that ALL my Captains could use it. And, in fact, my Jem *could* use it -- however briefly. As I paid for a great many other cross-Faction uniforms too. Reneging on that deal is not cool (although I still entertain the hope that this was just the result of a lazy, knee-jerk 'fix').
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Bad move.

Bad move.

No, they didn't.

Yes, they did. Your Jem"Hadar isn't in Starfleet. As long as that distinction remains, even if there's no real difference between what he is and a Starfleet officer as far as game mechanics goes, he shouldn't be wearing a Starfleet uniform. You might want it as an option, but that's just not a good enough justification for it. The justification for taking them away is that your Jem'Hadar who is allied to Starfleet is not in Starfleet, the same way that your Romulan who is allied to Starfleet is not in Starfleet, and therefore can't use their uniforms. There is no evidence that they have all of the rights and freedoms of Federation citizens, and even if they did, they are still not in Starfleet, therefore they should not be wearing Starfleet uniforms.
    My humans aren't in the Dominion either, but can still dress up in the jem'hadar clothes just fine.

Our characters don't ask permission to use the clothes of all the bazillion other groups they're not members of. Why should Starfleet be any different? There is no evidence my jem'hadar cares about Starfleet's opinion as to his choice of outfit.
    I agree that each faction should be restricted to they're own uniform.. I have no problem with that. Jem'Hadar shouldn't be in Star Fleet uniforms.. I am cool with that.

The problem is removing things like the Intel Uniform that are paid items that clearly state in their description that they're available to "all captains." If they want to draw a line at faction uniforms, that's cool by me.. but outfits outside of official faction gear should be free reign.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    I agree that each faction should be restricted to they're own uniform.. I have no problem with that. Jem'Hadar shouldn't be in Star Fleet uniforms.. I am cool with that.

The problem is removing things like the Intel Uniform that are paid items that clearly state in their description that they're available to "all captains." If they want to draw a line at faction uniforms, that's cool by me.. but outfits outside of official faction gear should be free reign.

Except "all captains' was pre VIL. Either they never considered Jem'Hadar in a Intel Uniform (which doesn't make much sense anyway) or they over reacted by removing all of them from Jem'Hadar. I suspect it was easier to remove all federation costume options for Jem'Hadar, rather than selectively remove some.

That's incredibly asinine....but asinine in a way that I could imagine some SJW minded bureaucrat in Starfleet actually coming up with such a policy. I could actually see them giving a Fed-Rom or Fed'Hadar unfettered access to the Sol System, including Earth itself, not to mention strategic Starbases across the Federation, command Federation ships, lead Starfleet formations into battle, and even make political decisions for the Federation on occasion, all without blinking....but utterly getting the vapors at the idea of that same individual wearing a Starfleet uniform, even though they are functioning as a defacto Flag Officer in Starfleet. It's so ridiculous that it could actually happen.

Heck, they let just about anyone take up Federation citizenship now, according to Path of 2409, and they don't have to renounce their previous allegiances, either. Assuming the Republic allows it, a Fed-Rom could apply for citizenship and still be a Citizen of the Republic and a Flag Officer in it's Navy...I would imagine D'Tan would probably encourage it as then Starfleet couldn't legally stop you from going anywhere a Fed civilian can go....for instance, Paris....if they bother to limit a Fed-Rom or Fed'Hadar's movements, anyway....they probably don't.

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

That's incredibly asinine....but asinine in a way that I could imagine some SJW minded bureaucrat in Starfleet actually coming up with such a policy. I could actually see them giving a Fed-Rom or Fed'Hadar unfettered access to the Sol System, including Earth itself, not to mention strategic Starbases across the Federation, command Federation ships, lead Starfleet formations into battle, and even make political decisions for the Federation on occasion, all without blinking....but utterly getting the vapors at the idea of that same individual wearing a Starfleet uniform, even though they are functioning as a defacto Flag Officer in Starfleet. It's so ridiculous that it could actually happen.

Heck, they let just about anyone take up Federation citizenship now, according to Path of 2409, and they don't have to renounce their previous allegiances, either. Assuming the Republic allows it, a Fed-Rom could apply for citizenship and still be a Citizen of the Republic and a Flag Officer in it's Navy...I would imagine D'Tan would probably encourage it as then Starfleet couldn't legally stop you from going anywhere a Fed civilian can go....for instance, Paris....if they bother to limit a Fed-Rom or Fed'Hadar's movements, anyway....they probably don't.

Excuse me, nations don't let military personnel of other nations (legitimately) wear their uniforms in real life, either. My dad's a former US Navy officer. He did an exchange tour with the Royal Australian Navy when I was a kid, even earned a commendation from the RAN, but he was wearing his USN uniform the whole time just like he did when we moved back stateside. It's not "asinine", it's perfectly realistic: if you're playing a Jem or a Rom, you are not a Starfleet or KDF officer, therefore you do not get to wear the uniform.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »
    Excuse me, nations don't let military personnel of other nations (legitimately) wear their uniforms in real life, either. My dad's a former US Navy officer. He did an exchange tour with the Royal Australian Navy when I was a kid, even earned a commendation from the RAN, but he was wearing his USN uniform the whole time just like he did when we moved back stateside. It's not "asinine", it's perfectly realistic: if you're playing a Jem or a Rom, you are not a Starfleet or KDF officer, therefore you do not get to wear the uniform.

Did he command one of Her Majesty's Australian Ships on his tour? I'm guessing not. A Navy has only so many ships and many, many officers qualified to command them....a command tour is what every Cadet dreams of, they aren't going to give the few openings they have to an officer from a Ally, no matter how good they would be at it. In STO, OTOH, Romulans and Jem'Hadar can command the most modern warships thier adopted faction has available in the game's timeframe, lead entire formations of their faction into battle, and even make political decisions for their adopted faction when necessary. In today's world, that is simply not happening. Let's be real....the whole Romulan-Jem'Hadar situation is something no military would likely ever do. In STO, it is done because it's inconvenient for the devs to create full factions for the Dominion and Romulans....we all know this. I'm on X-Box so I don't know the particulars for the Jem'Hadar picking a faction, but to my Romulans it was pretty much made clear that this was a permanent assignment....they will be Starfleet (or KDF) Flag Officers in all but name until they retire to their stake on Mol'Rihan or die in action. Personally, I cannot imagine how anyone in Starfleet Command would think giving the codes to access Sol System to a Romulan, much less a Jem'Hadar, is a good idea. Or commanding a modern starship of theirs, either. But it's canon in STO, so it is what it is. And since it is....yes, giving a toon the kind of power and authority they have, then getting the vapors over them wearing a uniform that reflects the reality of their position is asinine.

• ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    1. No military allows you to wear the uniform of another nation, unless you are sent explicitly for infiltration purposes. Even the full dress of an ally. OPSEC is something that should be taken seriously. The moment you enlist in a military, you're subject to all the regulations and requirements for that military, while you're in there for your term of service.
    2. Do you really think that an ally is granted unfettered access everywhere? That Fleet Admiral Participation Pip is going to just let Hadar'ade the Honored Derp to wander and sniff around that weapon facility, offering a smile and everlasting bottle of root beer? **** no, he/she wouldn't! Despite Cryptic trying to write each faction as part of the Carebear Club, every nation has their secrets, including secrets that they wouldn't want others to know about. Even D'Tan is hiding stuff that he doesn't want to share, with his allies.

If you want to have a Starfleet'Hadar, roll an alien, have him enlisted in Starfleet. Then you can have your Fed uniform.

With that being said, I don't think that the characters should get **** totally out of neutral outfits such as Mercenary, or Intelligence Uniform.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

Did he command one of Her Majesty's Australian Ships on his tour? I'm guessing not. A Navy has only so many ships and many, many officers qualified to command them....a command tour is what every Cadet dreams of, they aren't going to give the few openings they have to an officer from a Ally, no matter how good they would be at it. In STO, OTOH, Romulans and Jem'Hadar can command the most modern warships thier adopted faction has available in the game's timeframe, lead entire formations of their faction into battle, and even make political decisions for their adopted faction when necessary. In today's world, that is simply not happening. Let's be real....the whole Romulan-Jem'Hadar situation is something no military would likely ever do. In STO, it is done because it's inconvenient for the devs to create full factions for the Dominion and Romulans....we all know this. I'm on X-Box so I don't know the particulars for the Jem'Hadar picking a faction, but to my Romulans it was pretty much made clear that this was a permanent assignment....they will be Starfleet (or KDF) Flag Officers in all but name until they retire to their stake on Mol'Rihan or die in action. Personally, I cannot imagine how anyone in Starfleet Command would think giving the codes to access Sol System to a Romulan, much less a Jem'Hadar, is a good idea. Or commanding a modern starship of theirs, either. But it's canon in STO, so it is what it is. And since it is....yes, giving a toon the kind of power and authority they have, then getting the vapors over them wearing a uniform that reflects the reality of their position is asinine.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    With that being said, I don't think that the characters should get **** totally out of neutral outfits such as Mercenary, or Intelligence Uniform.

And that's my issue. Heck, even the KDF can't wear the Mercenary outfits! Really? Orion slavers and rebel Gorn can't wear MERCENARY outfits, they're supposed to wear uniforms?!? I've got a separatist Gorn pirate in a KDF-side pirate Fleet, and my cutthroat crew and I can't wear this supposedly civilian stuff. Well, that's unprofitable for Cryptic. I have no Fedside characters who would touch that stuff, but my Gorn would literally kill to get it. Go on, put it in as a reward for an assassination or dreadnought-jacking - I dare you!

Then again, we've never gotten the 23c. Gorn outfits we were promised, so he's not holding his breath.

Starsword, I salute your father for his service! However, I'm guessing he wasn't holding the rank of Fleet Admiral in his time with the Australian Navy, was he? He probably didn't command his own Australian flagship, am I right? The silly part isn't what our Jemmies and Roms CAN'T have of their allies' stuff, but what they CAN! But until a certain lead retires to a nursing home, thus leaving the less bigoted Devs free to put faction diversity back into the game, we're all stuck with inane and frustrating situations like this. I understand the real life sanctity and importance of uniforms. But the game we have comes down to this:

Please Mr./Ms. Member of Recently Enemy State, take my fully armed and crewed state-of-the-art flagship. and go do whatever you want with it - hell, you can even rearm it with agonizer phasers and protomatter torpedoes and go commit war atrocities with it - ...but don't wear that shirt! It's not the last part of that sentence that's silly, it's the first part.

Except "all captains' was pre VIL. Either they never considered Jem'Hadar in a Intel Uniform (which doesn't make much sense anyway) or they over reacted by removing all of them from Jem'Hadar. I suspect it was easier to remove all federation costume options for Jem'Hadar, rather than selectively remove some.

Yes, it was pre VIL but it's still advertised on the store as working for 'all captains.'

They are selling the item for money (sure, you can buy with Dilithum too) so they have a certain responsibility to keep the products 'as advertised.' If they added a faction later that now can't use the uniform then they should go back and alter the description in the C-Store. Right now, they are advertising an item for sale with a feature that it doesn't actually have.
    I suspect it was easier to remove all federation costume options for Jem'Hadar, rather than selectively remove some.

There's a term for that: laziness. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg