test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So is there nay reason to not play a Romulan now?

vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
Roms can fly any ship in thier faction now... a T6 Defiant with battle cloak and BOFFs all SRO..
Spock.jpg

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    It's a positive change unless you're a PVP whiner, in which case you're probably playing a Romulan already.

My Rommies will keep flying their own ships, but having the choice (and access to a few extra traits) is nice.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Tovan! There is still Tovan. Until you can space him, there is still a reason!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    ok, good point. the Tovan principle
    Spock.jpg

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Sure, Jem'Hadar will probably have the same setup and they start at level 60. :tongue:

(though one could look at the story and player customization options too...just sayin')
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Romulan's can claim T6 faction ships instead of restricted to T6 Rom ships now? My admiralty on my Romulan just got sweeter. Also why would I want to fly anything other than my Scimitar on my Romulan? Fed ships don't have battle cloaks like it does.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    nimbull wrote: »
    Romulan's can claim T6 faction ships instead of restricted to T6 Rom ships now? My admiralty on my Romulan just got sweeter. Also why would I want to fly anything other than my Scimitar on my Romulan? Fed ships don't have battle cloaks like it does.

ship traits? but yeah once done you go back to a scim.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Admiralty will be supreme, too. I have to make my KDF Rom...... for got to add:
    as a Delta Recruit, of course.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    A properly fitted Romulan always was supreme, ever since they came out with LOR. And if you have the special boffs from the LOR Pack, well, even more so >:)
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Admiralty will be supreme, too. I have to make my KDF Rom...... for got to add:
    as a Delta Recruit, of course.

Quite right. In the past they would not be able to take advantage of the high end ASScards of the KDF / Fed factions, especially Fed side with the bigger selection. Granted Cryptic has closed the gap a lot between KDF / Fed ship selection at T6 compared to their old history, but it still stands, Feds have a lot of ASScards to choose from. Roms will now be able to access this, on top of their existing endgame card selections.

May your ASScarding be long and prosperous.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I don't suppose the Klingons and Federation could acquire Romulan schematics and/or manned ships as part of this exchange program, hmm?
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »

You can now actually play a Romulan without Tovan, by simply skipping the tutorial.

hmmm I thought you couldnt unless they bugged that. Cause Tovan is built into the story.
  • jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User

You can now actually play a Romulan without Tovan, by simply skipping the tutorial.

hmmm I thought you couldnt unless they bugged that. Cause Tovan is built into the story.

You can in fact, it is just a bit buggy. One of your other bridge officers ends up speaking as Tovan.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Never underestimate the power of the Green Side.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Romulan ships all have the highly useful singularity core abilities. I for one will still play my T5U d'deredix (which fills most of my screen as I haven't really looked at camera settings) because I love the ship. Its slow as hell but I love it.

I still hope for romulan starbases one day and maybe a series of episode reunifying the battered remnants of the tal shiar, the imperial romulan star empire and the republic.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    [[...]

You cannot drop the Tovan candidate, bu you are no longer forced to commission him. IF you skip the tutorial.

That "you cannot because it breaks the game" nonsense was never plausible, and I believe the devs actually did never state that anyway.

Actually, they did. The simple fact you still can't drop him would say it's plausible.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Good. i like my romulans to use their ships, but this is wonderful for admiralty and some traits… so i like it!, but what worries me... no more Romulan ships???, i hope not!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Now I feel bad for buying the reciprocity trait for one of my Romulan's from the exchange.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    I can think of one glaring detail that makes Romulans unappealing (and it's not Tovan... though yeah, it's Tovan). Romulan aliens are the most restricted alien template. I wanted to make my Kaminoan a Romulan but the best I could do was an uglier Romulan... had to instead make my Romulan mule a Zabrak and use my Kaminoan with the KDF. Sigh...
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    The people who must always play Best FotM.... sure, they'll play Rom. (assuming they weren't already).

All the other people, who pick their characters/class/ships/etc because of reasons other than Max My DPS? They'll keep picking the character/class/ship they want. /shrug
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    I like Tovan. Heck, I even made Tovan Khev as one of my captains! (And his bridge crew - Tovan Khev2, Tovan Khev3, Rinna Khev, and the Reman engineer Rinna NotKhev.)

On the other hand, as you level flying Rom ships can be useful - battle cloaks for Fed ships are hard or impossible to get at low level.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It's all well and good, I just don't understand the point.

Why would I want my Romulan to fly a Fed/KDF ship? If there is one problem that Romulans don't have.. it's weak ships. It's great for admiralty.. absolutely, but nothing on the Fed or KDF side is getting me out of my Scimitar or Morrigu. Even a ship like the Vengeance still isn't going to trump the Scimitar.

The downside I see is that it will overall hurt ship sales. I have had quite a few times where I have bought the Romulan equivalent of a Fed Ship to get my Rommies the trait. Going forward, if they get access to any Fed ship, I won't be buying Romulan ships for Traits. Of course, I'm just spending dilithium anyway, so my guess is that I am not the customer type they are most focused on.

I noticed though that the announcement only lists a hand full of ships, it doesn't say they can use ANY T6 ship, so curious how exactly this is going to work.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I don't suppose the Klingons and Federation could acquire Romulan schematics and/or manned ships as part of this exchange program, hmm?
    No. If the Scimitar line of warbirds was available to Starfleet characters, it would lower sales of the Vengance (a "premium" ship). They might lift the restriction on Romulan BOffs or space traits that are specific to Romulan BOffs.

Allowing Romulans, Cardassians and Jem'hadar to use T6 Starfleet and KDF ships is just a gimmick for the recruiting event(s). It is no coincidence that these changes are happening during recruiting event(s).
  • madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    This begs the question if kdf/fed ships are better in any way. I know subsystem power is better but is that the whole story? If a romulan captain with all SRO boffs geared a kdf or fed miracle worker ship the same as a romulan one would it do more dps? Survive better? The warbird has singularity powers to help survival, it has an ambush bonus for damage. What do fed or kdf ships offer that would take a romulan out of a warbird?
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Sigh...
    Tovan is no longer there if you skip the tutorial, and the alien limitations on Romulans were dropped about 5 years ago.
    Not last time I checked. Mind, I play on console so we're a little behind on features.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    > @redvenge said:
    > disqord#9557 wrote: »
    >
    > I don't suppose the Klingons and Federation could acquire Romulan schematics and/or manned ships as part of this exchange program, hmm?
    >
    >
    >
    > No. If the Scimitar line of warbirds was available to Starfleet characters, it would lower sales of the Vengance (a "premium" ship). They might lift the restriction on Romulan BOffs or space traits that are specific to Romulan BOffs.
    >
    > Allowing Romulans, Cardassians and Jem'hadar to use T6 Starfleet and KDF ships is just a gimmick for the recruiting event(s). It is no coincidence that these changes are happening during recruiting event(s).

But that's dumb. If they wanted to keep selling ships, they'd keep making 9 packs as they are, possibly 12 packs with the Jem'Hadar, not just toss out the need to ever get more than the single faction 3 packs.

I'm all for shared ship designs, but not if it means that Romulans are the only faction worth playing. The Federation and Klingons have almost nothing exclusive from the Romulans, but the Republic can take everything they want from anyone else, despite the fact that they're already the only faction worth playing in the eyes of many.
  • jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    madmopar wrote: »
    This begs the question if kdf/fed ships are better in any way. I know subsystem power is better but is that the whole story? If a romulan captain with all SRO boffs geared a kdf or fed miracle worker ship the same as a romulan one would it do more dps? Survive better? The warbird has singularity powers to help survival, it has an ambush bonus for damage. What do fed or kdf ships offer that would take a romulan out of a warbird?

+10 all energy?

I like this change overall, but I don't think I'll end up making much use of it. I play romulan characters to mainly to fly romulan ships. I just prefer the romulan aesthetic to that of federation or klingon ships. I will happily take all the extra admiralty cards though and I might even be convinced to get some federation or klingon ships with interesting traits from the cross-faction packs that I wouldn't have gotten for just my fed or kdf characters.