test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So is there nay reason to not play a Romulan now?

124»

Comments

• Options
    smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »
    [[...]
    hmmm I thought you couldnt unless they bugged that. Cause Tovan is built into the story.
    You cannot drop the Tovan candidate, bu you are no longer forced to commission him. IF you skip the tutorial.

That "you cannot because it breaks the game" nonsense was never plausible, and I believe the devs actually did never state that anyway.
    Actually, they did. The simple fact you still can't drop him would say it's plausible.
    Honestly, simply having the wrong NPC appear in a dialog box counts as "breaking the game". Obviously it's minor, and some might prefer it, but it's still "breaking the game".

Night of the Comet is broken like that. The captain in a TOS Connie has a Galaxy class bridge behind him every time the dialog comes up.

If ONLY Night of the Comet was broken like that. The objectives warn me not to change the past, but I can't complete the mission until I've completely destroyed B'Vat's ship.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    [[...]
    hmmm I thought you couldnt unless they bugged that. Cause Tovan is built into the story.
    You cannot drop the Tovan candidate, bu you are no longer forced to commission him. IF you skip the tutorial.

That "you cannot because it breaks the game" nonsense was never plausible, and I believe the devs actually did never state that anyway.
    Actually, they did. The simple fact you still can't drop him would say it's plausible.
    Honestly, simply having the wrong NPC appear in a dialog box counts as "breaking the game". Obviously it's minor, and some might prefer it, but it's still "breaking the game".

Night of the Comet is broken like that. The captain in a TOS Connie has a Galaxy class bridge behind him every time the dialog comes up.

If ONLY Night of the Comet was broken like that. The objectives warn me not to change the past, but I can't complete the mission until I've completely destroyed B'Vat's ship.
    But you could still complete the mission? See, that's not broken either. It's a minor cosmetic issue.

"Broken" means something doesn't work. You don't call a car "broken" for having a splat of pigeon droppings on it.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [[...]

IIRC you don't have to: in fact I think they reduce your reward if you actually destroy or disable any of the Klingon ships. It's a little counterintuitive but you need to kite them away from the comet and then double back.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    [[...]

IIRC you don't have to: in fact I think they reduce your reward if you actually destroy or disable any of the Klingon ships (or that was what a fleetie told me when we played the mission together). It's a little counterintuitive but you need to kite them away from the comet and then double back.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited May 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    IIRC you don't have to: in fact I think they reduce your reward if you actually destroy or disable any of the Klingon ships (or that was what a fleetie told me when we played the mission together). It's a little counterintuitive but you need to kite them away from the comet and then double back.

I've actually played Night of the Comet a lot, as it is one of my favorites. The main issue I've had with it is actually being forced to destroy the named Klingon ship just to be able to leave because apparently you're supposed to defeat all the Klingon ships. Its scripted that you don't destroy the Klingon ships during that last part, once they hit a threshold, they disable like the Ruben James at the start. But apparently... something bugged in the last one and in order to complete the mission... you have to destroy B'vat's ship after it goes active again. Used to be you could just destroy the comet after disabling everyone, wait to get out of combat, fly away from B'vat, and complete. But now... you have no choice but to destroy B'vat's ship because of the "defeat remaining Klingons" objective.

(Stay away Edit Monster)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,320 Community Moderator
    OK, the bickering needs to stop.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    I kinda' wish that they'd gone the route of keeping the KDF as the bad guys. Adding the Romulans, Cardassians (etc) is great and all, but they should have been added alongside KDF-equivalent species. The whole theme of create a Romulan/Reman then join the FED/KDF... Most players (because of content) created a Romulan/Reman (and soon to be Jem'Hadar) and joined the Federation.

Actually, there is really no more content being Fed aligned as to being KDF aligned. Once you get past the faction specific arcs it's all the same. And when it comes to faction specific, the Rom have far more missions than the Feds.
    This is kind of the point though; come end game, there is virtually no difference between any faction - so what is the point of them? Surely factions should be different, play different, feel different, and not just be a carbon copy of the other?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I would have been fully aware of it, as I was before you said it, due to the outdated and incorrect things you were saying. You were either not a player, or just dumb, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you weren't a player, all you did was confirm it.
    What exactly was it that I was incorrect about?
    OK, the bickering needs to stop.
    It will.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    you're stuck with the 50 shades of sh*t that klingons have to endure.

OMG....you cracked me up, seriousdave!!!! How many times this exact thought has gone through my head, I tell you.

Though I have to say.....as I created my Fed Klingon....Feds have lots of uniforms but nothing really appealing to me. So...maybe not so better on the other side of the fence.

OH, and as I am going through the (mostly) Jem'hadar episodes in DS9, right now. There isn't a lot of variation on Jem'hadar uniforms, are there? There might even be LESS options for them.

Hopefully they make up for it by allowing in colors....I would like to make a aqua green Jem'hadar...with magenta horns.

It would be nice if they just standardized all the tailors (Rom/Kdf) with the same colors as Fed. As for outfits, Rom are like the orphans of STO, can't even wear earrings, so it doesn't surprise me Jem'Hadar would be any different. Then again if you think about they all look pretty much the same anyway. So, no aqua green Jem'Hadar for you! :)

Hot pink Jem'Hadar with neon yellow horns and a lavender one piece.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    Yeah. You can't be a superior being of the highest intellect Ferengi.

And just why, might I ask, would you NOT want to be a Ferengi?

It's illogical as a Vulcan would say!
  • Options
    ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    It's all well and good, I just don't understand the point.

Why would I want my Romulan to fly a Fed/KDF ship? If there is one problem that Romulans don't have.. it's weak ships. It's great for admiralty.. absolutely, but nothing on the Fed or KDF side is getting me out of my Scimitar or Morrigu. Even a ship like the Vengeance still isn't going to trump the Scimitar.

The downside I see is that it will overall hurt ship sales. I have had quite a few times where I have bought the Romulan equivalent of a Fed Ship to get my Rommies the trait. Going forward, if they get access to any Fed ship, I won't be buying Romulan ships for Traits. Of course, I'm just spending dilithium anyway, so my guess is that I am not the customer type they are most focused on.

I noticed though that the announcement only lists a hand full of ships, it doesn't say they can use ANY T6 ship, so curious how exactly this is going to work.

Admiralty.

Simple and pure.

Pure targ chips!

• Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    As someone that's made the choice not to buy ships unless I will fly them and there's actual content to use them in rather than the same old same old this is looking like a pretty good thing for the future of any romulan I have on a f2p account.

Its almost a sidestep back to the account unlocks for certain ship traits.
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Is there any reason?

How about "Because you want to..."

We have to remember that the NRR is not a true faction. It is an origin story that shows the path for Romulans to become a part of the Alliance. Cryptic is more or less done with the UFP vs KDF scenario the game started off with. Which is why there has been no concerted effort on their part to do anything PvP-centric with their forward-going development. So any faction that gets added now is merely going to be an origin path explaining how, in light of canon lore, the people in that faction become part of the alliance we see forming.

I actually like it. Humanity was the centerpiece to the formation of the Federation. And now the Federation has become a centerpiece to the formation of the Alliance. Now the KDF and the UFP are still fundamentally divergent from each other, but with the galaxy threatened by powers beyond reckoning, neither can deny the need to be a part of something bigger, so long as the values they both hold to need not be compromised. The UFP will not stand in the KDF's way in matters of the Empire's cultural need to engage in battle, and the KDF will not get in the Federation's way when looking for a peaceful solution. And if the enemy chooses battle, both sides of the Alliance coin are more than capable of giving it to them.

As far as I am concerned, it shouldn't matter which ships our captains fly. We are all one big happy fleet now. New factions joining the UFP do so because they want to give peace a chance. Those who join the KDF do so because they have accepted that war is a foregone conclusion and they want to be ready when peace does not work.

The Jem'Hadar are a bit of a wild card in that reasoning, I will admit. On the one hand, they have been bred for conquest, and on the other they now have the option for a peaceful co-existence with what they have been programmed to think of as lesser beings. I think we can thank Odo for that. Going back to the Great Link, healing the founders and showing them what his life among solids was like, how he found acceptance and respect, and even love among them. Hell, his experience with Lwaxana Troi would be an eye-opener for the founders. Perhaps these insights are enough to let the Founders see things in an entirely different light, and it could lead to the Dominion being less dominating to its people. The biggest problem with the Founders is that they have had this singular mindset that they are superior to everyone else because of their ability to become whatever they want and become one with each other, which likely is why they have had problems with the solids in the past. If Anything Odo's experience could teach them it is that IDIC applies to them as much as to anyone else.

So now we have an off-shoot of the Dominion on the verge of joining the Alliance. Which could mean that as time goes by, the Dominion as a whole may become part of it. When that happens, it would be amazing to see what happens when the Alliance begins to peacefully explore another galaxy together with mixed crews on all ships...

So yeah... "Because you want to" is a good enough reason to play a Romulan, or a Jem'hadar, a Klingon, or a cardassian... or whatever species becomes part of the Alliance whether given an origin story or not.

Well the romulans played a big role in the formation of the alliance if not for the Romulan Republic and the Gateway and Dyson Sphere under their control for being in their space. The Federation, and Klingon Empire would still be at war. All three species have something in common things that made them survivors Humans, Klingons and Romulans. They have survived great tragedy and death while also gaining hope and overcoming.

The Klingon's with the destruction of Praxis with the aid of the federation helped them recover they also survived and beat the Hurq in their ancient past that made them the warrior species of today. Humans world war three and had the aid of the vulcans changed the ways things are and eventually led to the formation of the federation of planets, the romulans survived the threat of their emotions being taken away forever forming an empire. Then suffered the ultimate tragedy the Destruction of Romulus, plus the Tal Shiar selling out their own people and murdering them. With the aid of both the Klingons and the Federation the Romulan Republic was able to start out without fear and formed a new Romulus forming a republic based on values both the Federation and Klingons hold dear instead of the sneaky backstabbyness and sneakiness of their past. They all survived and through these experiences overcame a lot of challenges and then when the threats from the Delta Quaderant and Iconians started showing up.

They all realized by working together they were stronger working with each other and only by doing this has allowed all three to survive and beat impossible odds. This alliance later on will be what leads to the Galactic Union of Planets the merging of all three factions. A time of peace and prosperity for all three alliances in the coming centuries.

All three play vital roles in the alliance, the Federation the resources, the Republic the Glue, and the Klingons the culture of battle and honor that aided in playing a critical role in ending the Iconian war. Instead of killing the Iconians one Klingon Helped save them and by doing so the players save the world heart and if it was not for this there would have been no peaceful outcome to the Iconian war. If all three alliances did not work together the Iconians would have destroyed all three. The Iconians would have continued on their crusade and trillions of people across numerous worlds would have died.
  • Options
    docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    (How about we just stay out of this and hope it dies down rather than rile it back up by quoting it? Thanks. Comments moderated out in hopes of finally stopping this argument. - BMR)

With that being say I do agree that people need to learn how to play the game before badmouthing the developers. I get tried of people blaming the developers for every bad decision they decide to make in the game.

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I haven't had problems completing the mission. The key is to blow up all the space rock pieces and not engaging the Klingons. That can be easily done if you kite them a few KM off if you can't pound the space rock pieces quickly enough. Early on I kited them over 10-20KM from the space rock and zipped right on back to blow up pieces. Once all the rocks pieces are blown away the job was done. Just make sure you don't use AoE attacks near the KDF ships and keep pets on a short leash.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    (How about we just stay out of this and hope it dies down rather than rile it back up by quoting it? Thanks. Comments moderated out in hopes of finally stopping this argument. - BMR)

With that being say I do agree that people need to learn how to play the game before badmouthing the developers. I get tried of people blaming the developers for every bad decision they decide to make in the game.

Sooo... exactly who would you blame for the developers bad decisions?
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Nope. Unless you're heavily invested in your normal fed or kdf there's zero reason not to choose romulan/reman.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    mods#2547 mods Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    While I'm now also very inclined to put all my feds on the backseat once this update hits they still have one very big reason to play them. FEDs are the best space barbies. Romulans may gain the upper hand on ships but their wardrobe is horrendously minuscule, especially if you're KDF aligned because that completely wrecks your color palettes and you're stuck with the 50 shades of sh*t that klingons have to endure. Srsly, this is why I never play my kdf-roms I made ages ago.
    True. Unlocking clothes next, please. And hairstyles.

+1
    Since we are Feds roms give us at least some federation uniforms like Discovery and others , love to have the Leeta's Variant for my female rom :smile:
  • Options
    docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Nope. Unless you're heavily invested in your normal fed or kdf there's zero reason not to choose romulan/reman.

SOB's Causal Corner has a video called "Why Romulans are Awesome." He listed five reasons for investing in the Romulan faction. People should check his video out.
  • Options
    oscar1#6814 oscar1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I recently created a delta Romulan. I have several Fed, kdf, and allied reman. I was extremely annoyed that while lvl 60 and with a skip button there, I could not skip missions in the temporal arc. I have done these missions several times, why force me to do them again for each new toon? Why include a skip button if you can't skip these missions? Is this a bug?