test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Voth Fortress in The Breach is Ridiculous

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Yea... without the cloud, the actual V'Ger ship was still large enough to swallow the Enterprise like she was a workbee.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea... without the cloud, the actual V'Ger ship was still large enough to swallow the Enterprise like she was a workbee.

A worker bee compared to a Starfleet ship would be noticable. it would be more on the scale that the Enterprise was like a spec of dust compared to the size of Voyager 6's craft.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Voth_Fortress_Ship_size_comparison.jpg?version=2c54c85fb8b806ee13e6e33ebeb7e165

Note the Cube there for reference on the Fortress...

All we know for certain... is that the Voth like to build BIG. Which is fine. They're an ancient species, they have the technical knowhow to build big. Hell... that Fortress Ship is probably a step towards their own Dyson Sphere.

You know when you can see the whole fortress ship like that it actually looks cool. They should totally make that the T6 bulwark skin, a scaled down fortress with the flowing plasma.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I've always felt it was dumb that we were destroying these gigantic vessels with millions of beings on board like it was no big deal. Destroying one of these things is the next worst thing to destroying a planet and this mission takes it far too lightly.

My headcanon changes the final dialogue to say "Disabling this massive vessel has taken it completely out of action, and created a serious disruption to Voth operations that is of great strategic benefit to the Alliance. Beyond even the lengthy repair time, the damage done will force the Voth to divert a large amount of resources and personnel both for the repair effort and for the protection of the immobilized vessel. This is a major strategic victory, and you are to be commended."
    Isn't that what actually happens? The ship isn't destroyed, it's still there at the end. It even shows up again in Borg Disconnected (or else the voth have more than one).
    I'd love to see some tidbit in a mission where we visit the Voth post-war and we're hosted on an immobile fortress ship encrusted in a massive reconstruction scaffold with work crews flitting everywhere. The thing is right where we left it, it was too big to tow so they had to basically construct an ad-hoc drydock around it on the spot. The project is still ongoing, with an offhand remark that the progress has sped up considerably now that they don't have to split their resources between rebuilding and sustaining a war effort.
    Even if they could tow it, there'd be no way to get it out of the Sphere without transwarp or interphase, because it's too big to fit through the doors.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I've always felt it was dumb that we were destroying these gigantic vessels with millions of beings on board like it was no big deal. Destroying one of these things is the next worst thing to destroying a planet and this mission takes it far too lightly.
    It's like all the contractors, janitors, and other staff that went BOOM along with the Death Star. Because that's what this mission is, STO's very own Attack the Death Star mission.

Except we don't destroy the Fortress.

In the original unabridged version, we seal off a number of its hangars, trapping a veritable fleet inside, slightly deplete it's Dreadnought fleet, and disable two power sources in it.

We leave the ship intact, and the ships we trapped in the hangars are even protected from the second reactor flooding the connecting chambers. It still has power online after the attack and its unlikely to have taken serious casualties, and the damage done is outright stated in mission dialog to be a stall - hopefully long enough without reinforcements in the space and ground zones to secure vital objectives.
  • Options
    kingmoloch99kingmoloch99 Member Posts: 9 Arc User

My headcanon changes the final dialogue to say "Disabling this massive vessel has taken it completely out of action, and created a serious disruption to Voth operations that is of great strategic benefit to the Alliance. Beyond even the lengthy repair time, the damage done will force the Voth to divert a large amount of resources and personnel both for the repair effort and for the protection of the immobilized vessel. This is a major strategic victory, and you are to be commended."

It just makes more sense that way, for one that the Federation wouldn't allow a vessel with millions of people aboard to be destroyed completely, thus killing them all, they'd consider it a war crime akin to a planetary bombardment. Secondly, it's more realistic to think that it's virtually impossible to entirely destroy such a truly massive structure, and what we actually accomplish is to destroy the main power generators and send feedback through the whole power system that blows relays, fries major systems like weapons and shields, and burns and ruptures large portions of the power distribution grid. The thing will be virtually dead in space, running on backup power and not able to sustain much more than life support and structural integrity. It can't move, can't fight, and can't defend itself. The amount of repair work required will be staggering, and force the Voth to either leave it with a protection force and nothing else or commit a huge amount of resources and personnel to work on it. Either way, it's not going to be anything but a strategic drain anytime soon. Hell, it's possible they're -still- working on the project even now long after hostilities have by and large ended.

I'd love to see some tidbit in a mission where we visit the Voth post-war and we're hosted on an immobile fortress ship encrusted in a massive reconstruction scaffold with work crews flitting everywhere. The thing is right where we left it, it was too big to tow so they had to basically construct an ad-hoc drydock around it on the spot. The project is still ongoing, with an offhand remark that the progress has sped up considerably now that they don't have to split their resources between rebuilding and sustaining a war effort.

It just makes so much more sense that way.

In my head, you are now writing the canon for this gambling simulator. Please continue? Please?

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    newnja wrote: »
    I agree, it doesn't look realistic, not even a little.

This is the product of a very advanced, ancient society....with thousands, if not millions of years of existence.....

....I am sure they'd know how to make something like this.

And what about that giant bowling balls of doom in Star Wars?

And PLEASE, define "Realistic".

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Like I said earlier... the Voth are probably one step down from being able to make their own Dyson Spheres.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Like I said earlier... the Voth are probably one step down from being able to make their own Dyson Spheres.

Maybe they do like Freeman's original idea like a ring structure around a star....or a mini like Babylon 5, did see land mass inside.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Um... look at those picture again. They look NOTHING like either the Citadel or the Fortress ship. Also it is listed at only 11 kilometers long. The Fortress Ship is clearly MUCH larger. The closest match would be the Citadel Dreads. But that is certainly not either one.

320x240.jpg
    vs
    800px-VothCitadelDreadnought.jpg?version=b95d5c5628d58ef140b562c1766217d3

Voth_Fortress_Ship_size_comparison.jpg?version=2c54c85fb8b806ee13e6e33ebeb7e165

Note the Cube there for reference on the Fortress...

All we know for certain... is that the Voth like to build BIG. Which is fine. They're an ancient species, they have the technical knowhow to build big. Hell... that Fortress Ship is probably a step towards their own Dyson Sphere.

I'm not even completely convinced that image of the fortress ship is correct: granted it's been a while since I did a Breach run, but I recall having teammates only halfway down the ship from me at most and yet being marked as ~100 km away.

It just makes more sense that way, for one that the Federation wouldn't allow a vessel with millions of people aboard to be destroyed completely, thus killing them all, they'd consider it a war crime akin to a planetary bombardment. Secondly, it's more realistic to think that it's virtually impossible to entirely destroy such a truly massive structure, and what we actually accomplish is to destroy the main power generators and send feedback through the whole power system that blows relays, fries major systems like weapons and shields, and burns and ruptures large portions of the power distribution grid. The thing will be virtually dead in space, running on backup power and not able to sustain much more than life support and structural integrity. It can't move, can't fight, and can't defend itself. The amount of repair work required will be staggering, and force the Voth to either leave it with a protection force and nothing else or commit a huge amount of resources and personnel to work on it. Either way, it's not going to be anything but a strategic drain anytime soon. Hell, it's possible they're -still- working on the project even now long after hostilities have by and large ended.

It just makes so much more sense that way.

The fundamental flaw in your argument is the same as that of the idiots who think the Federation commits genocide more generally in this game: those "millions of people" happen to be active-duty military personnel who are shooting very big guns at you.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    rGVhc.jpg
    Well... Green Sector is pretty green...
  • Options
    rGVhc.jpg
    Well... Green Sector is pretty green...

Land mass and bodies of water. This would be like an early Dyson like structure.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    On a much smaller scale yea. B5 was only 5 miles long, and that's not the entire interior. Just the portion known as Green Sector, which was the more diplomatic section of the station.
    d7c04352117184da25943c1ff83484ad.jpg
    Best interior map I could find with a quick Google search.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    We know the Voth do have dirt side colonies. So, no, the Fortress ship is NOT their primary population center...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    If I had to guess... destroy doesn't always mean total destruction. If it is damaged beyond repair... that could also be considered destroyed. Basically... we're trying to sink her rather that blow her up.

The USS Arizona and many other ships lost in WW2 are still relatively intact. Just... wrecked to the point they can't be used. Only reason Arizona wasn't refloated and repaired was because of the kind of damage she sustained. I think the attack on Pearl Harbor literally "broke her back" and made it impossible to repair.

So... even if we just gutted the Fortress ship instead of blowing her up completely, we removed that asset from the Voth.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Just glad Trek now has a couple GIANT ships. When you see those pictures of ship sizes across various space shows/games, Trek mostly has tiny little ships! :D
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    When anything in the Star Trek universe sounds ridiculous, consider the Dyson sphere. A Dyson sphere is 186 million miles in diameter and has 500,000,000 times the surface area of earth (mathematical estimates).

In honor of Star Wars day, and because Wars fans think death stars intimidate the Star Trek universe, just how many 400 kilometer Death stars (largest estimate) could fit in a Dyson sphere? Well, if you turned the death stars into cubes so there wouldn't be any space in between them 52.7 quadrillion.

• Dyson sphere volume: 4/3 * 3.14 * 93milion^3 = 3,367,574,640,000,000,000,000,000 cubic miles of room.

• Death star volume: 4/3 * 3.14 * 248^3 = 63,859,193 cubic miles.

• Death stars that could fit in a Dyson sphere = 52,734,375,000,000,000

*disclaimer: I'm tired so the math might be wrong. I don't even have a guess to the comparison. Might be grains of sand compared to the earth.
  • Options
    Just glad Trek now has a couple GIANT ships. When you see those pictures of ship sizes across various space shows/games, Trek mostly has tiny little ships! :D

Well... you gotta consider that the factions in Star Trek are not galaxy spanning empires. They only occupy small regions of the galaxy. The largest by territory is probably the Dominion and the Borg Collective.

When a faction controls a LARGE swath of the galaxy, like say the Galactic Empire, they can afford to build big. But when you only have about 150 member worlds and a portion of one quadrant... not so much.
  • Options

Well... you gotta consider that the factions in Star Trek are not galaxy spanning empires. They only occupy small regions of the galaxy. The largest by territory is probably the Dominion and the Borg Collective.

When a faction controls a LARGE swath of the galaxy, like say the Galactic Empire, they can afford to build big. But when you only have about 150 member worlds and a portion of one quadrant... not so much.

Well, Rd Dwarf is 5 miles long, more or less, and she was not exactly the latest model.....sometimes a big ship can just be a gigantic red trash can with no breaks.

But other sci fi has mega huge stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJRfABxL4R8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4GaPcLgOs

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Earth Spacedock itself is three klicks tall from dome to stem, and then there's Yorktown Station from Star Trek Beyond which, I can't be bothered to Google for official numbers given they're probably as inconsistently scaled as the KT!Enterprise, but it's gotta be several kilometers in diameter. Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, too, is huge. So, huge space structures are hardly an outlandish concept for Star Trek's core group of nations.

The point of a Dyson sphere (or Dyson swarm, as Professor Freeman Dyson originally envisioned) isn't just bigness for the sake of bigness, it's bigness for the sake of power generation: the sphere is meant to capture most or all of the energy radiated by the star, and stars are enormous--you could fit 1.3 million Earths in the volume of Sol, which is a dwarf star. And somebody mentioned the Death Star earlier: that was as big as it was because it had to accommodate a certain primary weapon and a reactor that could pump out roughly the same amount of energy the Sun puts out over 8,000 years, and all the supporting infrastructure and crew facilities for same. It's roughly spherical because a sphere is the most volume-efficient shape possible. Form follows function.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i guarantee you lucas was probably thinking of none of that when he made the death star a sphere...he likely did it purely because he wanted something that could be mistaken for a moon​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I believe the topic was centered around ships though. While large stations are pretty common in Star Trek, I mean ESD is the same class of station as many other starbases we have seen in canon, large scale starships the size of even the Voth Citadel are few and far between.

We don't see anything from the Federation rivaling the Citadel until the Universe class Enterprise-J, which is from the 26th Century. And nothing rivals the Voth Fortress at all. Not even a Borg Unimatrix or Herald Dreadnaught.

The way I see it, a Dyson Sphere (or structure) would be the height of a civilization's industrial achievement. It would be a wonder the likes of The Great Wall of China on an interstellar scale.

The Forerunners in Halo achieved similar feats with their shield worlds and smaller feats with their fortress worlds (Halo rings). The main thing to remember is that they were an ancient, powerful species. In Star Trek Online, it was the Iconians who comissioned the Solanae Sphere and maybe even the Jenolan Sphere. The Iconians were an ancient, powerful species.

Now the Voth are not as old as the Iconians (my opinion), but they've built at least 2 Fortress ships. That, by far, puts them ahead of most species we've encountered in terms of industrial might and perhaps on the road to their own Dyson.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    The Voth fortress isn't destroyed. It's not damaged beyond repair (or even seriously damaged) either if I'd had to guess.

We're firing at some hull points, specific points of a much larger hull. We then blow a hole in the ship, which is quite large, but still only of relatively small size compared to the entire ship.

Inside the ship, we merely fight some active ships and we close hangar bays. We then disable the power cores.

So, in the end, we have damaged some very minor specific points on the outside of the ship (why we do this isn't entirely clear btw), we have blown one relatively small hole and we have disabled the power systems on the inside. That's not exactly what I would consider serious damage.

If we look at other instances where Federation ships had significant structural damage, I can mainly think of the NX 01 in Minefield and the Enterprise E in Nemesis. In both instances, these ships had taken considerably more damage when you look at the hole vs. the full size of the ships, and yet they were still flying and to some extent operational, with the NX 01 only limited in its highest attainable warp speed, and the Enterprise E apparently still being able to make it back to Earth.

Probably the most significant setback is the destruction of the power core, but Federation ships have also lost those quite often without being entirely disabled. So even that may only be a minor setback, in the end.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Oh and as for the committing genocide thing: we don't even know if there are millions of Voth inside the Fortress. The whole thing could well be largely automated.

There's a cutscene with a Voth captain in the episode where a Citadel Dreadnought is destroyed by the Undine. We see maybe two or three Voth there, in a gigantic bridge. Apparently they can command an entire dreadnought with just three people.

And even if there were millions of Voth inside the Fortress, most of them are probably still there, as being able to survive shouldn't be too difficult inside a fortress which took some minor damage. None of them seemed to be near the only hole we blew in it either.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    I still say that the Voth have at least 2 Fortresses. The one we attack in the Breach, and the one we see in Borg Disconnected.

Although the setting changed when they revamped the Breach, the original incarnation had the Fortress Ship inside the Solanae Sphere. Without her power core, she'd be stranded inside the sphere. And a core that large would take A LONG TIME to replace. Now... the Fortress that warps in during Borg Disconnected... is fully functional and shows no signs of damage of any kind. Granted we're not flying through it, but still...

We know that the events in the Solanae Sphere take place at the end of 2409, and the start of the Delta arc is in 2410. Borg Disconnected can award Delta Marks. Which leads me to conclude that if the events of both queues did take place at some point... we're talking two different Fortress ships. We caught one by surprise, while the other was deployed to deal with the Borg and Undine. Something about the Borg in Borg Disconnected warrented deploying their most powerful asset. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't just plow through the Borg complex in the first place. The shields on a Fortress, along with the design and armor... would make it one helluva battering ram.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you know, i would think the voth ship that shows up in BD is a citadel...just because there is no way in hell cryptic can make an actual ship out of something that big - at that size, it's a static object​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.