test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please add in game memorial to James T Kirk

Credit to someone who posted this on reddit. But this game is supposed to be an MMORPG. The RPG part of that stands for "roleplaying game". So for roleplaying purposes, players should be able to visit and pay respects at Kirk's memorial, since he was a hero of the Federation and role model to many captains. Make it so!

Comments

• Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Too soon. Veto.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Except that William Shatner is still alive.

Also... STO can't afford the rights to his likeness.

So... nope. No reason to.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mikejf1220#5024 mikejf1220 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Except that William Shatner is still alive.

Also... STO can't afford the rights to his likeness.

So... nope. No reason to.

I'm asking for a memorial for the character of Kirk, not the actor William Shatner. Kirk is a hero in this game's story. He literally saved Earth multiple times.

Also, a memorial doesn't have a be a statue. See the memorial for the Breen attack at Starfleet academy.

Lastly, if such a memorial were put in game, no one would force you to visit it. So my request stands, whether you want it or not.
  • Options
    So has Picard and Archer.
    And technically Janeway by crippling the Borg BIG time.

And Sisko for ending the Dominion War.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    except those people are all still alive, except for archer (and we have no idea where he died)

but you still aren't getting a memorial unless cryptic adds Veridian III to the game​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Credit to someone who posted this on reddit. But this game is supposed to be an MMORPG. The RPG part of that stands for "roleplaying game". So for roleplaying purposes, players should be able to visit and pay respects at Kirk's memorial, since he was a hero of the Federation and role model to many captains. Make it so!

I find it a bit funny that this person is pleading for a Kirk memorial then ends with three words from Picard.
  • Options
    coqaunandos117#2576 coqaunandos117 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    except those people are all still alive, except for archer (and we have no idea where he died)

but you still aren't getting a memorial unless cryptic adds Veridian III to the game​​

Spock didn't die on Vulan or New Romulus, but they put memorials for him there anyway. Memorials often go in completely different places than where the person actually died or was even buried.
  • Options
    faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    New to the game but I really love this idea. It would have great potential for roleplayers, and even if you don't personally enjoy roleplaying that doesn't mean you should be opposed to other people having places to do it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Why Kirk? Why not Pike, or Garth, or Garrett (who gave her life in defense of Narendra III), or any of a hundred other influential and heroic Starfleet officers?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    Why Kirk? Why not Pike, or Garth, or Garrett (who gave her life in defense of Narendra III), or any of a hundred other influential and heroic Starfleet officers?

This is another reason. Why stop with only one?
  • Options
    fakemirage#8763 fakemirage Member Posts: 24 Arc User

Do you really not "get it" or are you just trying to be argumentative? Because if you just do just want to argue about something, don't bother reading. But if you genuinely want the answer to your question, here it is: why do you think the TOS connie was the most desired ship since launch? Because it was the first, and most iconic ship in Trek. Likewise, Kirk is the first and most iconic Captain in Trek. That being the case, it is easy to understand why someone would want to be able to visit a memorial for his character in game, especially if that person is interested in some type of roleplay or whatever their reason may be. The motivation for a Kirk memorial is obvious, and not some type of "slippery slope" when there was no other "first" Captain but him.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    They want memorials to the dead characters but not the actual actors, but the devs are only adding memorials for dead actors.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

Do you really not "get it" or are you just trying to be argumentative? Because if you just do just want to argue about something, don't bother reading. But if you genuinely want the answer to your question, here it is: why do you think the TOS connie was the most desired ship since launch? Because it was the first, and most iconic ship in Trek. Likewise, Kirk is the first and most iconic Captain in Trek. That being the case, it is easy to understand why someone would want to be able to visit a memorial for his character in game, especially if that person is interested in some type of roleplay or whatever their reason may be. The motivation for a Kirk memorial is obvious, and not some type of "slippery slope" when there was no other "first" Captain but him.

But technically Archer would be the *first* Captain...Captained the first warp 5 ship....first real Starfleet vessel out there to truly explore. Saw the birth of the Federation and was key in helping the formation...

Like it or not it is canon, and I'd say Archer was more important than Kirk was.
  • Options
    fakemirage#8763 fakemirage Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    avoozuul wrote: »
    They want memorials to the dead characters but not the actual actors, but the devs are only adding memorials for dead actors.

Nope. The actor who played Zefram Cochrane isn't dead IRL (thankfully).

lianthelia wrote: »

But technically Archer would be the *first* Captain...Captained the first warp 5 ship....first real Starfleet vessel out there to truly explore. Saw the birth of the Federation and was key in helping the formation...

Like it or not it is canon, and I'd say Archer was more important than Kirk was.

Congrats; you completely missed the entire point of my post.
  • Options

The Cochrane statue makes sense because it WAS mentioned by Geordi in First Contact. And Riker questioned him about that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlPYW_O9vY4
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2018

You must have poor reading comprehension, I am refering to the OP's want of dead characters being added to memorials, and I was explaining that the devs only add memorials for dead actors, I never said anything of the such that the actor for Zefram was dead.
  • Options
    darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    the Klingon's need statue's to the three great Klingon's of tos. for you who dont know who they are. here is the names koloth,kor, and kang. the actors played them put down the the foundation for all actors who have played klingons. and the klingons have a great hall to put them.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    weeeeell...no, that's technically not true, since while The Cage WAS the pilot, that pilot was not seen by a wide audience until long after WNMHGB had aired - so for most people back then, kirk was the first captain they ever saw​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options

lianthelia wrote: »

Congrats; you completely missed the entire point of my post.

You seem to be missing or flat out refusing to accept everyone elses point....

Just because Kirk was the first Captain that was seen on TV is a rather poor excuse for a statue when there are Captains who were much more significant that deserve monuments.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    How about no?

Kirk's fame in the Federation was nothing like it is for TOS viewers in 20th century Earth. In the Federation he was not the only captain of his time to have a galaxy-wide TV show displaying his exploits.

I can't recall seeing a monument to a single Starfleet captain in any of the TV shows, but I could easily be wrong about that.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

/Thread
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Edited: Well, well, the Arc info page for this game still does lead off with the antiquated MMORPG term. I'm surprised to see that, given that most publishers gloss over the RP part, and have for over a decade. Even the tags for each game on the Games page use the more common MMO, but I guess Arc leaves up those nods to the past. Good for them.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    You want to roleplay? Then what's your in-universe, in-character reason for wanting a memorial to one of twelve captains of 23rd-century Constitution-class ships? Particularly when you're ignoring all the historic captains who preceded him, even as commanders of the famed Enterprise?

Spock has a memorial because he sacrificed his life in a (vain, as it turned out) attempt to save ch'Rihan from the Hobus shockwave, after a life dedicated to service to the Federation and seeking peace with the Romulan Star Empire. Kirk was just another adventurous starship captain in a century that was rife with them.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The captain most likely to have a statue in-universe is Sisko, because he's a religious figure on Bajor.
  • Options
    oh, i'm sure The Sisko has a statue somewhere on bajor​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    The captain most likely to have a statue in-universe is Sisko, because he's a religious figure on Bajor.

To which Starfleet kinda looks down on a bit because of the Prime Directive. And I believe Sisko himself was not exactly thrilled with the idea of being one either. All because he found the Wormhole.
  • Options
    You want to roleplay? Then what's your in-universe, in-character reason for wanting a memorial to one of twelve captains of 23rd-century Constitution-class ships? Particularly when you're ignoring all the historic captains who preceded him, even as commanders of the famed Enterprise?

Spock has a memorial because he sacrificed his life in a (vain, as it turned out) attempt to save ch'Rihan from the Hobus shockwave, after a life dedicated to service to the Federation and seeking peace with the Romulan Star Empire. Kirk was just another adventurous starship captain in a century that was rife with them.

I mean not saying he didn't do anything special, but lets be honest he probably had the least remarkable career out of all of the other series captains.

This discussion has been closed.