Install Arc
Options

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | Theories - Spoiler Zone |

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Other
    > @neoakiraii said:
    > is it 1987 again? I'm having flashback of Fans saying TNG is not good and not Trek and the Enterprise D is ugly

That used up argument doesn't invalidate criticism, though. People who dodn't like TNG back then probably still don't, however as time progressed it might look better than before. Looking at Discovery I even start to see brief moments of not terrible in Enterprise xD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @neoakiraii said:
    > is it 1987 again? I'm having flashback of Fans saying TNG is not good and not Trek and the Enterprise D is ugly

That used up argument doesn't invalidate criticism, though. People who dodn't like TNG back then probably still don't, however as time progressed it might look better than before. Looking at Discovery I even start to see brief moments of not terrible in Enterprise xD

True enough. People might have had a problem with the style of TNG over TOS, but Discovery suffers from it not following the loose canon that TOS established. As bad as the Star Wars prequels were, at least it followed the previous movies' canon quite well. We knew Anakin Skywalker would turn into Darth Vader, Senator Palpatine would take over the Senate, the Jedi Order would be destroyed, and Luke's and Leia's mother would give birth to them before finally passing on. If it is revealed tomorrow that the events of Discovery took place in a parallel universe and they end up in the Prime Universe or in the 25th Century Prime Universe, then I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Still more character development than Kirk got in season 1 of TOS. :p
    I'd strongly disagree with that, for a number of reasons.

First of all, William Shatner was the leading man in a show made in the 1960s, and season one of TOS had 30 episodes at about 48 minutes a pop. It's Kirk's show, and it's not even close. I can give you five episodes off the top of my head that directly build his character... and even though the episodes aren't a connected serialized narrative, it is internally consistent throughout the season.
    Please do. :)

Easy. All of these episodes are critical to the development of Kirk's character, in one way or another:
    • "The Corbomite Maneuver"
    • "The Enemy Within"
    • "City On The Edge of Forever"
    • "Arena"
    • "Balance of Terror"

And I could argue more, but that seems silly to defend that Kirk is well-developed in his own series. :smile:
    Given that people are trying to say that Discovery is WORSE in that regard, I would posit that it was inevitable. Of those you listed Arena is the only one I can think of that was something beyond Kirk simply explaining his motives.
    That's funny (and a bit baffling) to me, given that I thought "Arena" was the weakest example on the list. :tongue:

"Corbomite" deals with the gambler/captain that stares down the threat of danger, while also revealing his commitment to his duty (over, say, the potential of a relationship with Janice Rand). "Balance" juxtaposes against this, with a captain that is unsure of himself at times, while also being the ultimate father figure to his crew (the wedding/funeral bookends). "Enemy Within," while not the greatest episode, explores the demons within Kirk's own psyche, and how the balance of his good and bad sides make him a good captain.

As for "City"? I seriously need to explain that as an important episode for Kirk's character?
    Enemy within I can see as character development. Corbomite and Balance though? It was just him doing stuff. Unless you had a more specific example I overlooked.
    And, again, I'd point out that my argument is that specific aspects of Burnham's character are underdeveloped (namely, her relationship with Tyler), not that season one hasn't developed Burnham's character. Those are two very different things.
    Ok that I can give you. :p But the real question is if it did enough, rather than how much it did.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Ok that I can give you. :p But the real question is if it did enough, rather than how much it did.

If that is the question, then my answer is no, they did not do enough.

And, of course, she'll get developed over time... but, I think it did a disservice to the Burnham/Tyler relationship (at least this round of it). Had they dropped the Klingon War storyline, or bumped the MU storyline to season two, they could have had PLENTY of episodes to work with Burnham's character, IMO.

Oh, yeah, add "Court Martial" to my list of Kirk episodes. :smiley:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    is it 1987 again? I'm having flashback of Fans saying TNG is not good and not Trek and the Enterprise D is ugly

Funny thing is... I thought season one of TNG is STILL widely regarded as poor.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    starkaos wrote: »
    > @neoakiraii said:

True enough. People might have had a problem with the style of TNG over TOS, but Discovery suffers from it not following the loose canon that TOS established. As bad as the Star Wars prequels were, at least it followed the previous movies' canon quite well. We knew Anakin Skywalker would turn into Darth Vader, Senator Palpatine would take over the Senate, the Jedi Order would be destroyed, and Luke's and Leia's mother would give birth to them before finally passing on. If it is revealed tomorrow that the events of Discovery took place in a parallel universe and they end up in the Prime Universe or in the 25th Century Prime Universe, then I wouldn't be surprised.

Nope Prime universe
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    [
    starkaos wrote: »
    > @neoakiraii said:

Well, they did a pretty good job linking to the TOS stuff in the last scene of the season finale
    iRuLCK5.png
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    is it 1987 again? I'm having flashback of Fans saying TNG is not good and not Trek and the Enterprise D is ugly
    It was erratic in quality, not bad overall. It had a few REALLY good episodes, but also a few terrible ones and several that were merely meh.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    It was erratic in quality, not bad overall. It had a few REALLY good episodes, but also a few terrible ones and several that were merely meh.

It was fine with me, as a kid, I had a great time watching most of them. Guess I'm the odd one, eh?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Philippa Georgiou

It was fine with me, as a kid, I had a great time watching most of them. Guess I'm the odd one, eh?

Idk, any time I get the urge to watch TNG and happen to put on a season 1 episode, I cringe through the entire thing. I truly don't know how the show got greenlit with 'Encounter at Farpoint' as it's pilot.

Edit: noticed that auto-correct had corrected in some wrong words ...
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Any bets on who will be playing Captain Pike and Spock?

Would be interesting if they could get Zachary Quinto for Spock!

Given Quinto's relationship to Nimoy before his death, I think he's the ONLY choice. :smile:

However, I know everyone will not agree with that, and "Hollywood-be-Hollywood" may not allow it.
  • Options
    Philippa Georgiou

Idk, any time I get the urge to watch TNG and happen to put in a session 1 episode, I cringe through the entire thing. I truly don't know how the show got greenlit with 'Encounter at Farpoint' as it's pilot.

I enjoy many of them myself.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Other

Bruce Greenwood and Zachary Quinto or actors that look damn near identical to them if they had any sense as DSC is set two years prior to 09. Not that it mattered when they chose James Frain for Sarek rather than Ben Cross (or anybody who looked remotely like him or was even in the right age range) but I live in hope.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Other
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Face it guys, none of you (us) would be watching this show past the third episode if it didn't have "Star Trek" in bold letters, with plenty of reminders that CBS owns the rights shoved, not sprinkled, into every episode.

I would. It really isn't the all horrible, everything sucks show you seem to feel it is.

I keep wondering why you keep watching it if you dislike it so much.

I wonder why you keep engaging with patrickngo. His logic and rational do not match our Earth logic. He lives in a reality of his very own it's clear from his barely incoherent ramblings that the Star Trek: Discovery of his home universe is significantly different to the Star Trek: Discovery of our reality. The rest of the Star Trek franchise is similarly different where he comes from.

It's either that or he has an acute brain injury caused by rose tinted shards shredding his brain and causing compulsive lying, lack of reading comprehension, and above all, a bizarre condition to go on and on and on ad infinitum over something he just doesn't like because the simple act of not watching what you don't like is a complex and alien one to the poor fellow. He absorbs other people's negative opinions like a sponge but doesn't bother reading them himself first leading to arguments that are self-contradictory, debunked (by fans, writers, or even watching the bloody show and not YouTube reviews), or just imaginary criticisms thrown at any media nowadays (SJW takeover! Because that's people that aren't white, Mary Sue! Because the lead is female and so on).

I suppose he's to be pitied really. Having a frothy brain is a serious infliction that's often dismissed by society. If nothing else he's bringing this serious condition into the light.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

Quinto said he didnt want to do it.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    Idk, any time I get the urge to watch TNG and happen to put on a season 1 episode, I cringe through the entire thing. I truly don't know how the show got greenlit with 'Encounter at Farpoint' as it's pilot.

Edit: noticed that auto-correct had corrected in some wrong words ...
    ALL of them? One of my favorite TNG episodes EVER was in S1.

Encounter at Farpoint: the Bandi and space jellyfish were a weird sci-fi thing, but entertaining.
    Naked Now: why???? What part of this plot makes any sense?
    Code of Honor: this episode is infamous for good reason.
    The Last Outpost: I LOVED the T'Kon portal guardian.
    Where no one has gone before: multiple levels of WTF!?!?!? As a story it's rather entertaining, but in terms of a rational narrative? oy....
    Lonely Among Us: I loved the plot with the Anticans and Selay. the weird energy creature though... one of many seen in TNG, but it was ok.
    Justice: yeah... I really wonder who built that stupid Edo guardian. It's nice that they get free terraforming, but the guardian's rules are bizarre. as a sci-fi piece on an alien civilization it works quite well.
    The Battle: Whoo we learn about Picard's past! Weird but good episode.
    Hide and Q: it's a Q episode, but one of the best of those. I especially loved the part where Q makes himself look like Data, since it's John de Lancie wearing the Data makeup. Also we get to see Wesley get stabbed. :)
    Haven: this is one of those episodes that basically has two separate plots about nearly unrelated things. The Troi story is annoying and dumb, but the Tarellian story is pretty cool. It's interesting that the planet the Tarellians approach demands that Enterprise protect them as part of their duties as Starfleet officers.
    The big goodbye: it's one of the weird holodeck stories and is kinda... there.
    Datalore: it's the episode that explains where Data came from and why he's weird even by Android standards.
    Angel One: I love it because it's an alien-of-the-week but NOT a planet of hats.
    11001001: Bynars are an interesting race.... and strangely devious... Also Minuet was a fun character as a nerdy sidenote 11001001 is the number 201 and the ascii character 201 is ╔
    Too Short a Season: Oh man, while there are some thing that I dislike here, over all it was a great "diplomacy" episode. Until I just looked this up, I'd always thought there were two actors for Jameson, but it was all Clayton Rohner
    When the Bough Breaks: one of those weird morality-ish tales about what not to do with advanced tech... I've always felt it odd that the Feds never learned ANY of this race's technical secrets.
    Home Soil: great for being an effective use of the truly alien and surreal.
    Coming of Age: weird because it's NOT a 2-part ep, but IS setup for a later ep. It's mostly Wesley and academy stuff
    Heart of Glory: I've occasionally wondered what the Talarians would do with those Klingons if they were turned over to Talar to be tried for their crimes.
    Arsenal of Freedom: The background elements created for this are something I would love to see explored in the future. Although Minosian tech is kinda ridiculous....
    Symbiosis, I generally like this, it did a really nice job of exploring an alien civilization and not just seeing a few aliens do stuff. Also, I LOVED the concept for the Ornarans. Who need wrinkly foreheads when you have super-powers?
    Skin of Evil: this is perhaps the dumbest super-alien episode ever...
    We'll always have Paris: um... another one where science goes HORRIBLY wrong....
    Conspiracy: now THIS is an episode that made me really ponder what was going on and want to rewatch it just to see if I'd missed something.
    The Neutral Zone: Theere were bad part, boring parts and dumb parts, but I love this one simply for the scene where Offenhouse says, "They haven't got a clue! They're hoping you know, but they're too arrogant to ask." the look on Picard's face is enough to make the episode worth watching.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Face it guys, none of you (us) would be watching this show past the third episode if it didn't have "Star Trek" in bold letters, with plenty of reminders that CBS owns the rights shoved, not sprinkled, into every episode.

I would. It really isn't the all horrible, everything sucks show you seem to feel it is.

I have roommates, and they watch it, the place is small, seeing it is pretty close to unavoidable, and at least it's not 'Family guy', or some reality show.

Though it's close.

So basically you're just doing stuff and occiasionally tune in while they're watching, paying less attention and making the missing stuff up in your mind to rant more, including finding it "close" to Family Guy and Reality TV. Roger.

I'm looking forward to see how L'Rell and the klingons will develop, assuming they still get some attention in the next season.
  • Options
    Other
    Artan, aren't you supposed to be ignoring me? GO AWAY, or grow some backbone and engage me directly, instead of this cowardly passive-aggressive ****.

Unfortunately the hide post feature dosn't work on mobile so due to your lack of avatar I end up reading your posts before I realise who's speaking.

And not everything is for you, I was replying to valoreah's comment, not to yours, the post was merely about you, not addressed to you.

If, one day in the far future, I accidentally come across a post from you with even the smallest grain of rationality I may consider, possibly, replying directly to you and not just talking about you.

Now if you ever get into an ion storm whilst using a transporter I look forward to seeing how you cope in our universe with out Star Trek shows. Thanks for your continuing interest though.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou

I'm looking forward to see how L'Rell and the klingons will develop, assuming they still get some attention in the next season.
    Apparently, that's the plan. Not something I expected.

Though the plan is also not to use Spock directly. I wonder how they want to pull that off, unless it's a misdirection.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    I have asked myself this same question in regards to why he bothers to play STO when he seems to hate all of it.

Some people just need something to complain about.

Here's a thought: Perhaps he wants to like it?

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg