test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Discovery Lockbox 2018

12346»

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I was really looking to have fun with the disco as I love the show. And yes I went in expecting to really hate it.
    get back into 'the grind'

Do it! You are missed bud. B)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • coqaunandos117#2576 coqaunandos117 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Oh I totally know that. I just thought that it would be fun to play the way they want you to for once. Also posting 150 keys for sale individually was not sounding fun.

What are you talking about 'selling them individually'? You can post a stack of 99 keys for sale on the exchange.
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I really like this discovery drop box. I think Cryptic did amazing on the phasers and disruptors - they are hands down the most accurate phaser beams to the show out of all in game weapons. And i would have thought theyd be most difficult to pull off!

I don't think players should worry about the lack of bridge interiors... The night is young... As discovery continues we are going to see more dsc ships in game as well as a discovery mission story arch which will likely bring us a full interior.

My friend and I were postulating about tech design in dsc... We recognized the Constitution class is old... Much older than even Shenzou. It is currently 10 years before kirk takes command of Enterprise, meaning Pike is on his first 5 year voyage with Spock & number 1...

But before that Capt. April was in command of Enterprise 1701 for either 11 or 16 years.

My friend & I suggested that the flat nacelle/ art deco geometric style aesthetics of dsc ships are a half way step between TOS & The motion picture...

On the other hand, maybe these designs are a half way point between Enterprise era & TOS, so starfleet took a more utilitarian/military turn. My personal theory is that the glowy jewel buttons & colorful designs of the constitution are due to the fusion of Vulcan and starfleet tech. A new agreement can happen in the next 10 years where vulcans share duotronic computer systems and the ships get less Spartan and more colorful.
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    Oh I totally know that. I just thought that it would be fun to play the way they want you to for once. Also posting 150 keys for sale individually was not sounding fun.

What are you talking about 'selling them individually'? You can post a stack of 99 keys for sale on the exchange.

And get lucky that someone buys that... too much luck involved here :)
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
    saekiith wrote: »

I sold 200 keys in about 5 mins by slightly undercutting the market. It has nothing to do with luck, just know-how.
    I sold 200 keys in about 5 mins by slightly undercutting the market. It has nothing to do with luck, just know-how.

How does undercutting the market net you any Profit?
    So either you just shoved 200 Bucks into Cryptics Pockets or you were grinding for a year or more, certainly the most counter-productive avenue.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

So sell them in the semi-standard stacks of 10. Generally, when I do my normal Ascending Price By Unit search in the exchange, the list is filled with 10 stacks. Nice and convenient to buy.

So either you just shoved 200 Bucks into Cryptics Pockets or you were grinding for a year or more, certainly the most counter-productive avenue.

My goal was not "profit", but simply to get the EC I needed to buy the Crossfield. As I said, I slightly undercut the market, selling my keys for 4.0 instead of 4.2, which resulted in a quick sale. I then took my EC and bought the Crossfield at a slightly higher price than it's going for today, but a pretty low number for day one. Whoever posted it may have underestimated it's first day value, but that worked out fine for me.
    edited January 2018
    My goal was not "profit", but simply to get the EC I needed to buy the Crossfield. As I said, I slightly undercut the market, selling my keys for 4.0 instead of 4.2, which resulted in a quick sale. I then took my EC and bought the Crossfield at a slightly higher price than it's going for today, but a pretty low number for day one. Whoever posted it may have underestimated it's first day value, but that worked out fine for me.

I wouldn't call paying 200 Bucks for a Single Ship with literally only the Base Equipment and nothing else "working out fine" but that's just me...
    kiralyn wrote: »
    So sell them in the semi-standard stacks of 10. Generally, when I do my normal Ascending Price By Unit search in the exchange, the list is filled with 10 stacks. Nice and convenient to buy.

Nope, not even when using the smalles amount of mark-up so I would only be able to buy one additional key... still sitting here and waiting.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    sad day... cannon tv series ships in lock boxes.
    I wouldn't call paying 200 Bucks for a Single Ship with literally only the Base Equipment and nothing else "working out fine" but that's just me...

Not that it's your concern, but I didn't actually spend anything. And even though I sold 200 keys, the price I was able to get the ship for was far below the average yesterday, so I had a good bit of EC left over to play with afterwards. But here is the most important part: I'm happy with my purchase. And that being the case, it doesn't bother in the least if someone else approves of it or not. That said, I also want other people to feel happy and be able to get the ships they want, so that's why I have posted the tips that I have.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    You see, Sae, you're still operating from this odd idea of "intrinsic value". Keys are worth 125 Zen each, which, since you can grind up Zen, means they're intrinsically worth nothing. The value is entirely subjective. (This is as distinct from, say, potatoes, which are of value to any omnivore - they can be used as the basis for a number of recipes, from slicing and frying to baking to simply boiling with a dash of salt. If you're hungry, a potato is infinitely more valuable than a Master Key.)

The classic statement of economics that applies here is one I've repeated many times in Chat: "The value of a thing is what that thing will bring." Keys can be purchased from Cryptic for 125 Zen, or from the Exchange for a variable amount that tends to hang somewhere around 4 to 5 million EC plus or minus. The value of a ship purchased from the Exchange is equally variable; as of last night the Crossfield was running close to 500 million EC, and the Walker around 250 mil (I didn't check the Sarcophagus, as I find it too unpleasant in appearance to bother with); other lockbox ships have run up to a billion EC, so these prices are actually pretty reasonable in comparison.

Their "value"? Depends on your preference. To me, the Sarcophagus is of no value whatsoever, as I never plan to use one even if I somehow wind up in possession of one. To someone else, it could be worth easily half a billion EC, or even some other form of exchange.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User

A vast majority of folks who use the exchange do not change the price sorting option from the default setting of "Sort by Price". Since the lowest price of a single key is lower than the overall price of the stacks, the default "Sort by Price" setting causes single keys to appear higher up on the search results than the stacks. Listing keys as singles allows sellers to price against a greatly reduced field of competition since the price per unit of stacks are effectively hidden from view of a majority of players.

Selling keys as singles is a best-by-test strategy to maximize EC return, when dealing with relatively small amounts of keys, but it comes at the cost of a higher chance of error, and a slight increase in time usage.
    /channel_join grind
    Moreover, there are a good number of players who utilize this strategy as a form of day-trading; they buy stacks of keys and immediately relist them as singles at a slightly increased price. Overall, it's not a terrible grind, it can pay much better than many other grinds people do every day (farming vendortrash, tour, PvE, etc).
    /channel_join grind
    Yeah, I understand you can sell keys individually if you want to. But the person I was replying to seemed to be implying that selling keys would take too long individually, hence my post. And while the majority may not search by unit price, the big sharks do. So if you sell a stack of 99 below market value a shark will usually grab it. Although I prefer to just use trading channel.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Same. I'm not looking for a profit, either. I am also trying to see not just keys, but some epic items on exchange...let's see how that goes. o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Undercutting the lowest priced key by 200k isn't really a slight undercut, it's more of a firesale.
    /channel_join grind
  • tunicate515#4416 tunicate515 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Undercutting the lowest priced key by 200k isn't really a slight undercut, it's more of a firesale.

Are you high or something? 200k is less than 5% of 4.2mil. Since when is less than 5% discount a "fire sale"? I guess you don't understand what that term means, because it sure as hell doesn't mean 5% off.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

Are you high or something? 200k is less than 5% of 4.2mil. Since when is less than 5% discount a "fire sale"? I guess you don't understand what that term means, because it sure as hell doesn't mean 5% off.

It's probably more than needed though. People buying singles or stacks buy the cheapest ones even if they are only 1 credit cheaper. So 4.195 instead of 4.200 will sell quickly.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    I find undercutting by even 500 EC is more than enough. Gotta get that first page listing.