test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

VOTE for STO - Best F2P MMO 2017 - Daily vote

Comments

• pirebpireb Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I'm sorry what? STO (one of the most predatory and pay to win games currently available on PC) for best f2p mmo?

I'm going to assume that this thread is an elaborate joke and i'm just too stupid to get it.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Yeah, OK, I went and voted for STO.

STO is like that GF who drives you CRAZY, but you can't live without her. I keep coming back. Sigh.
  • potentialbff#9168 potentialbff Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I'll be honest. This is NOT the best MMO of 2017, or any year. But I like this game and I play it because it's Trek. It's possible to both like and enjoy something while at the same time not pretending it's "best".
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I'll be honest. This is NOT the best MMO of 2017, or any year. But I like this game and I play it because it's Trek. It's possible to both like and enjoy something while at the same time not pretending it's "best".

No-one is saying it's the best MMO. The poll is 'Best F2P MMO'.

Ok. I still feel the exact same way. I don't think this is the "best" F2P MMO. But I don't play a game because it's the "best", I play it because it happens to be what I personally enjoy. I don't mind admitting other games might be better in many regards.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »

No-one is saying it's the best MMO. The poll is 'Best F2P MMO'.

Ok. I still feel the exact same way. I don't think this is the "best" F2P MMO. But I don't play a game because it's the "best", I play it because it happens to be what I personally enjoy. I don't mind admitting other games might be better in many regards.

Have you played other F2P games? This is basically the only game that is truely F2P. Which in my book makes it best...not on the merit of how good it is, but because it is the ONLY option really if you want to play a MMO for truely free. NW can be as well I suppose...but their version of the dil exchange is kinda borked so that makes it less so. GW2 shouldn't even be on that list as you need to buy the game to play it...which isn't F2P...it just means there is no sub costs. If we are going by that standard, BDO should be on the list as well...and that game is WAY prettier than anything on the list.

We are clearly interpreting the question differently. You interpret it this way:

"Which F2P MMO has the best business model"?

I interpret it this way:

"Which F2P MMO is the best game"?

By my interpretation, my comments stand. I don't think STO is the best F2P game for many reasons. But it's also the one I play, also for many reasons.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    SWTOR is dying on it's behind. They managed annoy an entire country with the mergers (Australia), the business model is terrible (demo version or sub is your choice there) and the engine is far worse than STOs (alpha build Hero engine because rush out the door).

That and it turned into a job far quicker than I liked.

STO is something I can pay barely any attention to and still get stuff done. However it has many issues and even though it's the only "MMO" I can tolerate nowadays, I can't vote for it due to said issues. It is very definitely the only true F2P setup though.
    Never thought I'd see somebody defend an EA product so rabidly. You do know EA's history right, I mean not even long ago they annihilated another studio who were working on a Star Wars game. SWTOR is just on stealth maintenance mode now, being bled for all it's worth. EA won't release the resources for BW to do anything worthwhile for it, they'll keep it around just as a low upkeep revenue generator. It's effectively dead though, playerbase be damned.

If there's any red showing up on the financials at some point out comes the plug, it's the EA way. Either way it had nowhere near enough ability to retain my subscription and seeing as subbing is the only way to make the game tolerable.........bye, bye SWTOR, it was a nice 5 months.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    I voted for STO.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    Oh here we go. Proof. Proof. Proof. Writing is on the wall fella, not a big deal if you don't want to read it.

Look at EA's track record. They can and will burn it at any time they choose with a far lower threshold than other companies. i don't care either way as I won't be playing it again. if I'm wrong and the game survives until we actually have lightsabers, yippee. If I'm right, well, smell ya later I guess SWTOR.

Oh and guy, maybe you should try reading instead. At no point did I "bash it like a sad person", you, however did defend it like it was one of your children.....

I'm just not going to play it anymore. Have fun if you choose to however.

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Guy's lets keep things on point with this discussion related to the voting for STO. I'm granting you guys a bit of leeway because multiple mmos are involved in this voting process besides just STO. Having passion about one's position is fine, and everyone is free to debate provided it is kept civil. Do not make me take this leeway back and lock the discussion.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • tunicate515#4416 tunicate515 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I voted!

For GW2.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    judging by shinobi1027's comments, an arguement there about TOR is like an arguement with somtaarkhar, totally pointless since they will always think of themselves as right and you as wrong.

so yeah, moving on.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
This discussion has been closed.