test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you think? Melting Pot

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They heard that GPL was being nerfed so they switched to Credits. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    or their local currency is called credits, or contains the word credits​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Maybe the crystals are actually lobi and they're just a munch of hired mercs being paid by the ferengi to keep the prices stupidly high on the lobi store.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I wonder who's putting those eggs there....and I can picture mama going: "OW OW OW OW OW OW!!!!!!!!!"

I mean look at those things.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    No. Please not T'ket. Not so soon. We had 10 seasons of Iconians already, 3 would be too short a break.

Unfortunately that chapter in the Iconian story was not completed, for the most part a lot of the details have been tied off but T'Ket is one of the last remaining threads along with the Hur'q and we still don't know if the Servitor races accepted the order to stand down in their entirity or partially.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    So these crystals are actually eggs. But what about those murals on the walls at Draconis that showed the surviving Starfleet officers from K13 doing something with them?
    They looked like they were breeding them or using them as a power source maybe?

Some more info is needed first before we just assume they are boring old bugs. Plus what made them hatch in the first place, nobody is questioning that yet. All those planets where the “infestation” was found must have been swarming with crystalline eggs if they are as deadly as the Tzeks think they are.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    thirteendays31thirteendays31 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    It would be nice if it was playable. But the game is pretty much always down for the few hours I am home before I go to work. Seriously.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    "I've got 50 credits that says _____(forget the name of the Tzenkethi here) looses his scales again."

Wait... ummm... so the Tzenkethi use credits? Sine when? *headscratch* Did I miss something here?

And why shouldn't they? After all it's the universal translator translating. It may actually mean the same thing credits mean, it may just be used as a general term for "local currency", it may be actual credits they also use when trading, maybe covertly, with the rest of the universe... or it may just be an acceptable break from reality.

But don't forget that people in e.g. Zimbabwe would bet "dollars" and not mean US dollars.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    So these crystals are actually eggs. But what about those murals on the walls at Draconis that showed the surviving Starfleet officers from K13 doing something with them?
    They looked like they were breeding them or using them as a power source maybe?

Some more info is needed first before we just assume they are boring old bugs. Plus what made them hatch in the first place, nobody is questioning that yet. All those planets where the “infestation” was found must have been swarming with crystalline eggs if they are as deadly as the Tzeks think they are.

Valid points. But this also leaves the questions:

Are the Tzenkethi's protomatter bombs the correct answer?

Or do these bugs exist because of the protomatter bombs?

Perhaps, protomatter doesn't kill them, but returns them to a state of dormancy?

Perhaps, they see us as the infestation?

So this could be one of those cause an effect related areas. A byproduct of the Tzenkethi, or Lukari, developing protomatter in the way that they did.

As to what caused them to hatch? Well, from what we saw, there was plenty of things to go by in the episode. One factor being a plentiful source of food nearby. Though, the bugs didn't seem to keen on eating the flora around them. There is also radiation to consider here.

The one thing about this that really sticks out to me is Quinn. "We aren't sure they're actually hostile." This dude needs to learn the definition of hostile. As I wanted to reply, "You can't get any more hostile than them wanting to kill and eat you." Because if you can't define that as hostile, then how can you define the bluegill as hostile?

As to what the K13 personnel did. That's another good question. Which leads to, as you said, breeding with them, or perhaps as a power source.

If they were breeding with them, well people tend to have some pretty off the wall fetishes in that area. So that is plausible. It could also explain the bipedal images in the mural. Perhaps the Tzenkethi are a byproduct of this?

Though, they may have been doing something else. Using them as a food source? This is also plausible. And again, could explain the bipedal images. Or perhaps its that these bugs, mutate in a manner dependent on the DNA they ingest?

As far as a power source... I'm not sure I can go with that one. I mean, if you go by what we know of the "egg", our sensors can't even detect they're a life form. They're just a chunk of crystal. Though, perhaps the eggshell itself can be used as part of a power source? This could be plausible, given they are crystalline in nature.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The one thing about this that really sticks out to me is Quinn. "We aren't sure they're actually hostile." This dude needs to learn the definition of hostile. As I wanted to reply, "You can't get any more hostile than them wanting to kill and eat you." Because if you can't define that as hostile, then how can you define the bluegill as hostile?
    We can't even be sure they're intelligent at this point. They could be just dangerous animals. Well, dangerous to civilians anyway, they didn't seem much of a threat to an armed away team.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    If they'd just nuked a moon why did they send down two people to deal with a much bigger planet rather than stay in orbit and drop another bomb.

There were only a handful of bugs on the planet. The moon, on the other hand, was composed 55% of those crystals. A "nuke" was the only option there.

Alternatively, they may have only had one torpedo and had to resort to conventional weapons for the planet itself.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    The fact of the matter is... we know nothing about these bugs that the Tzenkethi are hunting down.

There has to be a reason the Tzenkethi are doing these attacks. For all we know, the Tzenkethi see these bugs like some kind of plague or galactic level threat like the Flood in Halo. And the fact that these crystals have been found (or can be assumed to have been found) on so many planets and moons across so many systems of the Alpha Quadrant...

Something put them there. The question is... what?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is... we know nothing about these bugs that the Tzenkethi are hunting down.

There has to be a reason the Tzenkethi are doing these attacks. For all we know, the Tzenkethi see these bugs like some kind of plague or galactic level threat like the Flood in Halo. And the fact that these crystals have been found (or can be assumed to have been found) on so many planets and moons across so many systems of the Alpha Quadrant...

Something put them there. The question is... what?

They are like what Klingons think of Tribbles? :o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Well the season is called Emergence for a reason, so i'm guessing these creatures will start popping up all over the place if something causes them to hatch.
    Our scans never even showed they were living, they just looked like crystals like dilithium or something, so a power source of some sort is the first thought of many people for good reason. But if they are really "eggs" and have been seeded over the whole galaxy then that is some serious nasty business we are about to be stuck into. Also, if scans show them to be crystaline until they hatch then could they be merely a portal to this dimension for the "hatchlings" rather than actually holding them directly?
    They seemed to hatch after the protomater was used nearby, coincidence or response to a threat?
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    You mean like the Horta eggs?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    *waves hand in Jedi mind trick style* It's all just a bad trip inside the Nexus.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Do you mean 'Those aren't the crystals, that you're looking for'. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    We can't even be sure they're intelligent at this point. They could be just dangerous animals. Well, dangerous to civilians anyway, they didn't seem much of a threat to an armed away team.
    They were hatchlings. Most things aren't dangerous when newborn babies. There is a clue as to the scope of the threat though. the bugs DON'T use the animal faction logo. They have their own unique logo.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    just think of what the zerg are like...a few freshly-hatched zerglings aren't much of a threat - the entire swarm can kill BILLIONS in less than a day striking at multiple worlds, as they did at the start of the second great war

and come to think of it...there are a LOT of parallels between the tzenkethi's actions and the protoss in the early days - both are initially hostile to us humans, both purify infested worlds with little care for collateral damage, both end up having a small group end up being sympathetic to the ones they're wiping out along with the bugs, and try an alternative means of combating the threat without going straight for scorched earth​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Another question here. Just something that came to mind.

But.. ummm.. are we suppose to forget that the Tzenkethi have committed mass genocide in their crusade to destroy said bugs?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Don't use THAT word!!!
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Don't use THAT word!!!

It's a valid question, if you look at everything they have done. There isn't any other way to describe it. Millions of people dead, whole civilizations and planets destroyed. Are we suppose to just shrug and chalk all this up as collateral damage?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Check your posts in the Considering STO Thread.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Our scans never even showed they were living, they just looked like crystals like dilithium or something, so a power source of some sort is the first thought of many people for good reason.

The reason being that the blogs and Mirrors and Smoke explicitly stated that some species were using them as a power source. It's an established fact.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Check your posts in the Considering STO Thread.

That was because we had went off topic. I was going to ask this, there. But remembered this was where it belongs. Because this is why we went to war with the Tzenkethi in the first place. This episode leaves one asking that. Because in the episode they destroy a moon, then beam down and are suddenly friendly. Then the ending doesn't even mention any of this, like it didn't even matter.

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    When Harmony Gold ported Macross into Robotech, they had a very interesting idea revolving around the Invid Flower of Life. When placed in a force field matrix that prevents it from sprouting and growing, it expends a massive amount of energy which can be harvested for use. This power source was extremely potent, and they used the concept as the central point of conflict for all three series which they dubbed the "Robotech Wars".

Perhaps the crystals, when prevented from hatching, can be a similar energy source? But if you **** it up, you end up hip deep in killer flesh eating bugs that devour everything and everyone like locusts and then spore themselves to other planets. Bad news.

If they are usable as a power source in their dormant state. It could lend some plausibility to the idea of it. But as we saw in this episode, finding a way to keep them in that state, might pose a bit of a problem.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Ok, another thing that bugs me about this episode.

As we know the Kentari and Lukari have begun working on this colony. Starfleet and the Alliance has been helping with it. And we're being sent to help get things moving forward. All right so far so good.

Now what bugs me here is how things go with it. You show up in the Dranuur System, which is unknown and has no strategic relevance. Alright, no worries there. So you go about scanning the anomaly, getting the core sample, sending a probe to the moon. This, again, is how it should be. But can someone tell me, how is it that in the time that I've done all this to find out more about the system, which apparently has a colony on it that neither Kuramaake or Geordie know about. That, they've some how managed to build a fully functional, kintari/lukari hybrid technology colony building, complete with hydro-electric power production?

Then you beam down to this miraculously appearing colony and Kuramaake and Geordie suddenly know everything about it. Leaving you with just inspecting everything.

But WAIT! It gets better.

Not only have they managed to build this colony, without knowing anything about the system, i.e. never bothered to scan it. But they also, somehow managed to get to the moon, grab some crystals(that they didn't know was there to begin with) and bring them back to the colony science lab?

Are all my characters living in a temporal anomaly? Where in the 10 minutes it takes me to scan, get the sample, launch the probe and get into transporter range, they managed to build this. Because I'm seeing at least a year's worth of work in the colony I'm beaming down to.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    I thought the colony was already there and we were just visiting to help them with some of the survey and building work? That’s the impression I got at least.

I never got the impression the timeline was confused or anything.
    SulMatuul.png