test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you think? Melting Pot

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
Please post all official feedback for the new Featured Episode, Melting Pot, here!

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    No one thought to ask the Tzenkathi lady why the Tzenkathi are destroying the eggs? What species are they from? Why do the Tzenkathi fear them?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Those bugs are aggressive little critters
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      So the terrifying threat that has the Tzenkheti so scared is a bunch of bugs, less dangerous apparently than the Mind-Control-Parasite Bugs?

If I was really there, I'd press the Tzenkheti for more information.

Anyone found any canon information on the name of the species they mention?
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
      edited October 2017
      Good episode for grinding rewards - not too long, not too hard and the rewards will make good tanking gear set - i think.

Still looking for episode that will give player a rare (or very rare) unique secondary deflector...
    • Options
      tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
      Kuumaarke is annoying as usual.

I like the insect gore, but too bad you can't do the same thing with humanoids.

Good set. I like the way the game is moving towards under-used styles - such as tanking and tetryon.
    • Options
      starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
      edited October 2017
      I don't know what the story behind the bugs is, but I'm gonna go ahead and call them Doom Scorpions.
    • Options
      solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
      I came away from the mission with two conclusions: Admiral Quinn is delusional if he thinks it's not yet clear the bugs are hostile, and my next major purchase should be the biggest, worst-mileage-per-gallon SUV I can find. The eco-preaching was just a mite heavy-handed (though not quite as bad as the mission where we met the Kentari, I'll grant. Not quite).
    • Options
      nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
      wait... they are scaried of these weak little bugs... the grown ups better be Nerscylla sized or I may have to laugh at them.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    • Options
      warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
      So is the major motivation for the tzenkethi war and development of planet-killer weapons...arachnophobia?

Seriously, those bugs were no more a threat than the scorpions on Nimbus.
    • Options
      xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      saber1973a wrote: »
      Still looking for episode that will give player a rare (or very rare) unique secondary deflector...

Most certainly not going to happen anytime soon. Since we get sets and secondary deflectors are only useable on Sci ships, they wouldn't work for a large portion of the player base. Same reson I would guess we're not seeing heavy weapons as an episode reward. Or carrier pets.

For the episode itself: Great maps, as usual. Not exactly Kentari Prime or Wherever we found 2nd T'nae, but nice - especially the space map since you can do less in space.

The story: I don't think the pro environtalism stance is that bad, but I can see how others feel like that. Especially since we don't do much than look around the first half of the ground section.

The bugs: we'll have to see what they make of it. The underestimation just because of the size is IMO not (yet) justified. After all, e. g. a virus is even smaller. The danger of these enemies certainly won't be their ground combat proficiency. Though in the masses they come... I found this the only episode so far where I was using the "boffs go there" command outside of puzzle solving for combat reasons, since they easily get distracted. Especially annoying (though not that important) if your boffs get stuck behind or in the firewall once you reach the beach.

Two bugs (?) with the bugs: I haven't yet figured out why sometimes they seem to start off with 1000% resist everything - first couple of shots sometimes don't register. Also, the final group has a tendency to stray away/fall in the water, so I had to go back to the beach where they went to clean up.

Pressing the Tzenkethi about information: not possible IMO on ground, we all have a space battle to fight. At the end, when given the stern warning by Nerr Forgothername, would have been a great opportunity though.

Space fight: meh. A couple of frigates and the command ship also seemed way weaker than the one over Kentari Prime (which was a bid on the spongy side though, so that's okay).

And if I find the guy who said "I want more minigames in my missions", I'll have a word with him.

Altogether: solid, but not one of the greats.
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • Options
      zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
      edited October 2017
      warpangel wrote: »
      So is the major motivation for the tzenkethi war and development of planet-killer weapons...arachnophobia?

Seriously, those bugs were no more a threat than the scorpions on Nimbus.

Are we sure they are not the same creatures?

One possible solution that might have been over looked.
      41jwOBuW2CL._SY355_.jpg
      :#
      Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on
      f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
      Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    • Options
      lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
      I'd never have guessed those crystals were eggs, so good plot twist there Cryptic. :)

They don't seem to be overly dangerous but having said that if millions hatched they could be a problem i reckon. Reminds me of those replicator things in Stargate.
      SulMatuul.png
    • Options
      giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
      Overall I thought it was really great. One line in the first space section when you're scanning the area is weird, Kuumaarke says she wants to get a scan of a specific area, but then ignores that and just tells you to launch a probe at the moon.

Other than that small little nitpick, my problem is the same everyone else seems to have: the new bugs seem a little underwhelming for how serious the Tzenkethi make them out to be. I'm sure you guys have some hidden fact about them that makes them super evil, but I do find it odd how neither our characters, Kuumaarke, or La Forge ask what makes them such a serious threat. If it's just that they spread as fast as tribbles but arent cute, that's going to be extremely disappointing.
      So the crystals hatch out into 'orrible bug-like monsters. OK. So that's the reason the Tzenkethi have been trying to obliterate them.

So why didn't the Tzenkethi, y'know, say so?

Is there some reason they can't give an explanation? Is the phrase "hey, those crystals hatch into giant killer bugs" unpronounceable in the Tzenkethi language? Or what?

If they'd actually explained that they knew the crystals hatched into killer bugs, they might have got some cooperation in their mission to wipe the darn things out. Instead, they've been zooming around committing genocide for no readily apparent reason, and in the process stirring up resentment and armed resistance, and therefore making their own job enormously more difficult.

Is there any believable reason for this? Did the Autarch get up on the wrong side of the bed and say "guys, from now on, we shall Walk the Path of Worst Possible Public Relations"? They build starships, they're an intelligent species! Why are they acting so unbelievably stupid?
      8b6YIel.png?1
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      shevet wrote: »
      Is there any believable reason for this? Did the Autarch get up on the wrong side of the bed and say "guys, from now on, we shall Walk the Path of Worst Possible Public Relations"? They build starships, they're an intelligent species! Why are they acting so unbelievably stupid?

'our ways/methods/reasons are not the concern of outsiders' said 98% of all species ever​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options
      shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
      It makes sense to explain your ways, if the outsiders are otherwise going to stop you from following them by shooting you in the face with enormous ray guns. Just a thought.
      8b6YIel.png?1
    • Options
      tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
      xyquarze wrote: »
      Two bugs (?) with the bugs: I haven't yet figured out why sometimes they seem to start off with 1000% resist everything - first couple of shots sometimes don't register.
      That's not a bug with the Tzenkethi-killers themselves, it happens with plenty of other NPCs.
      tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    • Options
      dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
      STO Season 14: Starship Troopers edition. Kill da bugs! ;)
    • Options
      ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      Look at the upcoming week's Shield Reward. Different max values for fore, aft, and port/starboard facings. First time for this.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    • Options
      psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
      edited October 2017
      The bugs were a little underwhelming, but I can see why the Tzenkethi are afraid of them. If Dranuur's moon was composed 55% of those crystals, the bugs must be incredibly common in the quadrant. A swarm of trillions of them would be alarming, to say the least.

A chance to ask the Tzenkethi captain about the bugs would have been nice, even if she didn't want to reveal everything.

I liked the Tzenkethi banter during the fight, reminded me of the krogan from Mass Effect.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
      -Thomas Marrone
    • Options
      ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      Yeah, it was a decent episode. Whereas the Nexus FE was there to showcase the Galaxy Interior, this one showcases the Colony Holding. And of course it has the 'Obligatory Minigames' ©®™.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    • Options
      tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
      The Tzenkethi on the ground have a pair of Statler and Waldorf style jokesters. That was kinda funny. ^_^
    • Options
      jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
      anyone else getting a massive "Covenant vs Flood" vibe from this Episode? even the dialogue reminded me of Halo
      27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• Options
      captpatrick01captpatrick01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
      "So the entire reason you've been wiping out planets this whole time, was to get rid of these crystal-like eggs filled with psychotic bugs? If I had a energy credit for every time interstellar wars happened because someone was keeping their mouth shut I would've bought out the entire exchange..."

This was essentially my reaction.
    • Options
      tyler002 wrote: »
      xyquarze wrote: »
      Two bugs (?) with the bugs: I haven't yet figured out why sometimes they seem to start off with 1000% resist everything - first couple of shots sometimes don't register.
      That's not a bug with the Tzenkethi-killers themselves, it happens with plenty of other NPCs.

Indeed, but so far I've only noticed it with NPCs like the guards in Gowron's prison escape who had to have immortality to survive until the player passes by, not with newly spawned enemies like the holo Borg last episode.
    • Options
      The bugs were a little underwhelming, but I can see why the Tzenkethi are afraid of them. If Dranuur's moon was composed 55% of those crystals, the bugs must be incredibly common in the quadrant. A swarm of trillions of them would be alarming, to say the least.

The main question that needs to be answered is: how are they a threat while living on their own moon. They need to have some kind of influence on the outer world.

But yes, forgot the Tzenkethi banter, that was way nicer than expected, props for that.
    • Options
      smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
      love it and my theory regarding the crystals was right, which impressed, and surprised me XD
      dvZq2Aj.jpg