Install Arc
Options

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] S01E03 Context is for Kings | REViEWS

Comments

• Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru (B)
    irm1963 wrote: »
    Curious where they're going with the biotech and why we've never heard of it (or Discovery) in canon, maybe they end up doing a Voyager ?

Biological components in starships and other things isn't new:

No, but the specific tech they're trying to perfect is. And completely game-changing.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Curious where they're going with the biotech and why we've never heard of it (or Discovery) in canon, maybe they end up doing a Voyager ?

Biological components in starships and other things isn't new:

No, but the specific tech they're trying to perfect is. And completely game-changing.

Ahh, you were after a specific point and and i misunderstood, sorry about that.
    It could be a game changer, but it could be an outlawed experiement that Starfleet itself doesn't know about, similar to the case with the Equinox and those lifeforms. Lorca appears to be the type to hold secrets up to when he needs to and keep certain details out of official reports. It depends how much oversight Starfleet has on Lorca. I can't imagine Starfleet would be willing to risk such experiments especially with such a major loss of life and a brand new starship. Lorca isn't your typical lockstepping captain though, his prorities are clearly different.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    it's a Novel (A+)
    It's pretty obvious it's going to go wrong somewhere down the line.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    orondis wrote: »
    Nothing is obvious.

Star Trek:Discovery is unlike any Trek previously seen. I don't think anything will go wrong with the tech. Especially if they plan on going more than one season.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru (B)
    redvenge wrote: »
    Nothing is obvious.

Star Trek:Discovery is unlike any Trek previously seen. I don't think anything will go wrong with the tech. Especially if they plan on going more than one season.

I expect it to either cause massive damage to the Discovery, or accidentally send Discovery to the Andromeda Galaxy for season 2: Voyager 2.0
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    M-5 (F)
    I would have given the two pilot episodes a 5/10. Despite the very unlikeable lead character there were still enough elements of classic Star Trek to keep me interested. But in episode 3 they really managed to turn the show into yet another generic, dystopian scify show. Remove the Starfleet deltas and the ship shapes and you wouldn't be able to identify it as Star Trek. 2/10.
    Gore, the head of security calling the prisoners 'animals' and 'garbage' and letting them fight it out among themselves without intervening, creatures that seem to be used as bioweapons, a ruthless and manipulative captain, an insubordinate lieutenant during wartime(!), destroying a highly advanced Starfleet vessel together with 300 dead bodies because "it's just a ship". I don't know what to say... It was awful.

What bothers me as well is a distinct lack of likeable and relatable characters. There was Captain Georgiou, who's now dead. And Admiral whats-his-name who's dead as well. We are three episodes in and the only character I like and who's still around is Saru, the science officer/first officer of the Discovery. Everybody else - including the lead character commander Burnham - could die in the next episode and I couldn't care less.

I haven't given up on Discovery just yet. But if they continue to go down this dark and grim path I certainly will.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Kobayashi Maru (B)
    redvenge wrote: »
    Nothing is obvious.

I expect it to either cause massive damage to the Discovery, or accidentally send Discovery to the Andromeda Galaxy for season 2: Voyager 2.0

I had similar thoughts. Timey-wimey could also eventually happen.

I don't think the "incident" will happen this season, though. Destroying the titular ship, or shoving them off to another galaxy, seems like a pretty big cliffhanger for a show that's done filming, but not guaranteed a second season (yet).

It is clear, though, that the fact that no one talks about this ship/tech in later Trek is intentional. I can already see why Spock doesn't talk about his "foster sister"-turned-Starfleet's-first-mutineer.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    it's a Novel (A+)
    starswordc wrote: »
    Okay, general thoughts.
    • I think they're handling Burnham's redemption arc reasonably well. Everyone's suspicious of her.
    • I have no idea yet what to make of Lorca. He's an intriguing character but I'm not sure what to make of his attitude, strikes me as a little Machiavellian.
    • Discovery seems to be basically a black ops vessel.

Black ops vessel indeed. Registry no. NCC-1031.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    oh lord...i can't believe i missed that when i was questioning why the shenzhou had a higher registry number than discovery when it was supposedly an earlier ship in another thread​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Next time I visit New Romulus I will look at the little epoohs in a whole new light knowing there's a combat version of them...
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    M-5 (F)
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Okay, general thoughts.
    • I think they're handling Burnham's redemption arc reasonably well. Everyone's suspicious of her.
    • I have no idea yet what to make of Lorca. He's an intriguing character but I'm not sure what to make of his attitude, strikes me as a little Machiavellian.

oh lord...i can't believe i missed that when i was questioning why the shenzhou had a higher registry number than discovery when it was supposedly an earlier ship in another thread​​

I was actually thinking the same thing. Why did Discovery have a lower registry number? I guess this is Section 31's ship, which makes TRIBBLE even less Star Trek. Oh well...
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User

They try to squeeze Section 31 in there somewhere so 10-31?
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    Kobayashi Maru (B)
    velqua wrote: »
    Okay, general thoughts.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Why did Discovery have a lower registry number? I guess this is Section 31's ship, which makes TRIBBLE even less Star Trek. Oh well...

Black Ops definitely, but I'm not entirely convinced yet that it's going to be Section 31, as these experiments appear to be approved by Starfleet. Registry 1031 could just be there as an easter egg or to throw us off.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    M-5 (F)
    velqua wrote: »
    Okay, general thoughts.

It was quite obvious really. Remember when the prisoners were led to the mess hall and one of them spots an armed soldier with a black badge.

"You ever seen a black badge before?"
    "Somehow this doesn't feel very scientific."

They really wanted you to notice.
  • Options
    i also noticed above that someone brought up
    a fungus-powered warp drive

i'm assuming that's the reason for having the TRIBBLE fungal expert aboard (by the way, does this guy have a name? i'd prefer to use that instead of constantly using attribute descriptors) so hopefully that means he WON'T end up being a token character just stuck in the show for the sake of 'muh inclusiveness!'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    M-5 (F)

i'm assuming that's the reason for having the **** fungal expert aboard (by the way, does this guy have a name? i'd prefer to use that instead of constantly using attribute descriptors) so hopefully that means he WON'T end up being a token character just stuck in the show for the sake of 'muh inclusiveness!'​​

Lieutenant Stamets. I'm not sure about this whole inclusiveness issue. Both Commander Burnham and Lieutenant Stamets didn't come across as very likable characters so far.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I don't think so.

So far, the "theme" of Star Trek: Discovery is "the ends justify the means". The Shroom Drive(tm) will probably murderize people, but Lorca will just mark them off as the "price for a safer galaxy".
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Discovery is the most cinematic Trek ever presented on television and I find the casting choices intriguing. I want to give them room to get their footing, but given the sheer amount of talent and resources poured into this show twelve years in the making; I am finding that difficult this early in their new run.

The intention seems to be to "fix" what wasn't broken to begin with and their choice in how they are introducing the lead character to us makes little sense to me? In fact, I will just say that there is NO WAY that this is a prequel to The Original Series. The tech shown thus far appears more advanced than the Picard era? I also admit that I genuinely hate the Klingon redesign. Too many other original series races that have not been heavily utilized were available for such a drastic visual reboot.

Why Paramount did not prefer to place this show as a proper prequel to the current Pine & Quinto Trek films is beyond me? Nero had reset the timeline wiping out all that we previously knew and elegantly setting Discovery on a path to freestyle as it is clearly doing? Why not have gotten on board with that idea? Makes no sense.
  • Options
    Kobayashi Maru (B)

i'm assuming that's the reason for having the **** fungal expert aboard (by the way, does this guy have a name? i'd prefer to use that instead of constantly using attribute descriptors) so hopefully that means he WON'T end up being a token character just stuck in the show for the sake of 'muh inclusiveness!'​​

Paul Stamets, after the real-world mycologist. He actually appears on the After Trek show to explain the theories behind the premise.

• Options
    Kobayashi Maru (B)
    szim wrote: »

Lieutenant Stamets. I'm not sure about this whole inclusiveness issue. Both Commander Burnham and Lieutenant Stamets didn't come across as very likable characters so far.

I actually found Stamets rather likable, he's a scientist who was conscripted into weapons development and is bitter about it. He wants to further our scientific understanding, not help an aggressive Captain wage a war.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru (B)
    My theory is that they aren't actually creating a new drive system, but trying to revolutionize transporter technology.
    I think the spores are not for conventional travel, but a method for locking on to a destination and then "beaming" the entire starship and sending the matter stream through this spore network to its end destination.
    IMO it fits pretty well with the disaster of the U.S.S. Glenn, how warped and distorted all the victims were. Reminded me an awful lot of the transporter accident in the Motion Picture.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Kobayashi Maru (B)
    Not a power source as such, quantum/panspermia theories.

Besides, that was in the american version only and true fans don't count that as canon :)
  • Options
    so, on a completely different tangent...
    did anyone happen to notice the preserver obelisk on one of the worlds burnham visited during the spore drive's small-scale test?
    ​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Okay, general thoughts.

shame the second number on that registry isn't a 4 because then it would of been a really blatant clue.

If this is a Section 31 black ops ship, i wonder if Lorca intentionally saw the chance to recruit an asset to the project by making an example of Burnham on purpose and making her such damaged goods no one else would take her and Lorca could then reroute her on a simple transport from prison to prison and intercept her inbetween? In effect Burnham fell through the cracks in the system where Starfleet wouldn't have any other choice but to accept she is missing, escaped or killed and since Starfleet won't go looking for such a criminal in the middle of a war with the Klingons it's the perfect place to put her on top of the fact that Lorca is offering her what she wants the most, to serve.

It could very well fit the idea of what Lorca wanted from the start and add to the idea he could be holding secrets.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    it's a Novel (A+)
    It certainly does seem to be section 31, especially how Lorca recruited Michael. It wasn't so much a rescue but a planned breakout, with the ship there ready.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    xceptopecxceptopec Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Red Alert (E)
    This ep is a slight improvement on the 2-parter, by all of about 2 microns in my opinion.

Burnham is not the only instantly dislikable character. The Captain has the feel and appeal of a used car salesman. The Cadet is just irritating on so many levels, though got to say, I was impressed with how well they managed to conceal exactly how much tightly curled red hair she had, when we first saw her.

On the matter of Burnham, I found it highly suspect that Starfleet would permit a convicted mutineer to wear a Delta after their court-martial. Not to forget that the Delta in the TOS ear was specific only to Enterprise, the Delta did not become the fleet insignia until some point between TOS and The Motion Picture.

Another issue with Burnham is that in just 3 episodes, it is painfully obvious that there is little by way of original ideas for the character. She appears to have been written as some bizarre amalgamation of Spock, Worf, and Tom Paris, which alas leaves the Cadet open for comparison with Harry Kim.

The secret project is strange, in so far as the script writers don't seem to have any idea of what it is supposed to be. From dialogue I picked up on 2 distinct and different possibilities, near as damn it in the same sentence. First the Captain explains what essentially equates to the Raza's blink drive in Dark Matter, but then almost immediately after describes something very similar to the slipstream routes in another Roddenbery sci-fi, Andromeda. And then the visuals appear to be somewhat akin to the Iconian portals, which Starfleet only become aware of after the Yamato and Donald Varley are lost in the 24th Century.
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Where are you getting "grimdark" from? Humans clearly evolved beyond our own differences, survived the Eugenics Wars and WWIII, the Federation was formed and Starfleet is out and about exploring the galaxy. Is that all grimdark too?

It's not first-season TNG, therefore to the screaming purists it's "grimdark" and "NOTMYTREK."
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava