What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forum Eating Posts?

2»

Comments

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Yah the forums eat my posts when i try and edit them. Your mistakes can not be corrected!
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Actually... its sporadic as to when it will eat posts and when it won't. I've been able to edit mistakes just fine, but every once in a while, especially with a long, thought out post, it gets eaten.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I edited a recent post, forum ate it (as expected), so I pasted my backup, gave some error about no such post. Left the topic, came back to it, pasted again, said the post is pending approval (??). Tried pasting again in the same thread, nothing shows up ever. I can however post in other topics.

That's okay, I spend too much time talking and reading about STO anyways. Other fun games and less bugged gaming forums are that way
    >
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Yah the forums eat my posts when i try and edit them. Your mistakes can not be corrected!

The problem is not so much that the forum eats your posts upon edit (after all, you can just copy the text, prior to edit), but that you can, thereafter, no long repost it (whilst blabbing about your post awaiting approval). Usually you need to change your post significantly, before you can repost it again.

Like the UI, the GM diligently collects the player feedback for these issues; but, ultimately, it's Cryptic who needs to act upon it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Never had this problem, though lately after I make a post, a few times the Comment area still contains the entire post that was already added to the Thread.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The problem is not so much that the forum eats your posts upon edit (after all, you can just copy the text, prior to edit), but that you can, thereafter, no long repost it (whilst blabbing about your post awaiting approval). Usually you need to change your post significantly, before you can repost it again.

Like the UI, the GM diligently collects the player feedback for these issues; but, ultimately, it's Cryptic who needs to act upon it.

I managed to get around it by adding a bit of gibberish and waiting a good few hours before attempting to copy-paste my original post, all because of a simple italics bracket I wanted to correct.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    For everyone confused by this issue, I explained it here:

Disappearing forum posts
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I think I know what's going on here. My guess is that the spam filter is trying to detect duplicates or near duplicates; that is, it's trying to prevent people from reposting the same content or minor variations of the same content. Of course, multiple edits of the same post all look very similar to each other and to the original post. So if you edit a post too many times, the spam filter will incorrectly flag it as spam and remove it from the forums. I'm not sure what the exact threshold is, but my posts seem to get removed after about the three edits.

To work around this issue, you can type some extra text to fool the spam filter — like this:
    EDIT: Changed formatting. Vanilla, don't eat this post.

Each time you edit the post, you have to change enough text that the spam filter thinks it's a different post. I'm not sure what exactly counts as "enough", but usually changes to formatting aren't enough.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

Disappearing forum posts
    I think I know what's going on here. My guess is that the spam filter is trying to detect duplicates or near duplicates; that is, it's trying to prevent people from reposting the same content or minor variations of the same content. Of course, multiple edits of the same post all look very similar to each other and to the original post. So if you edit a post too many times, the spam filter will incorrectly flag it as spam and remove it from the forums. I'm not sure what the exact threshold is, but my posts seem to get removed after about the three edits.

To work around this issue, you can type some extra text to fool the spam filter — like this:

Each time you edit the post, you have to change enough text that the spam filter thinks it's a different post. I'm not sure what exactly counts as "enough", but usually changes to formatting aren't enough.

and as i mentioned a while ago short posts are a lot more open to edits than longer posts are. :tongue:
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

Disappearing forum posts

and as i mentioned a while ago short posts are a lot more open to edits than longer posts are. :tongue:

to expand on the above...K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid, for those who don't know what the acronym means) and don't write freaking dissertations

especially if you have real trouble using paragraphs like quite a few people i've seen on the internet do​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Put a bit of Cayenne Pepper in it and it will never eat them again. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    We are the Vanilla forums. Your posts will be assimilated. Editing is futile.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    It's like the Tyranids from 40K have come along and consumed posts on this forum, forum posts nom nom nom
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius