What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Do You Think? Beyond the Nexus

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,277 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    What's with the Uniform choices? The crew that went missing recently doesn't use the Odyssey uniform and the one that went missing previously is wearing the WoK uniform long after it stopped being worn.
    the Wrath of Khan uniform or at least a variant of it was used in 2330s when Forrestal went missing.

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,277 Arc User
    My question is, who was that black dude in the episode? Is he someone that appeared in Trek television or movies before?
    assuming you've not kidding, the "black dude" was one of the main characters in Star Trek:the Next Generation and the associated movies (from Generations to Nemesis).
  • Options
    wwwwoodywwwwoody Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    My question is, who was that black dude in the episode? Is he someone that appeared in Trek television or movies before?
    assuming you've not kidding, the "black dude" was one of the main characters in Star Trek:the Next Generation and the associated movies (from Generations to Nemesis).

He means the villain of the piece, the literally black dude.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Disappointed I'm afraid. The overall feel was short, cramped and rushed. If anything it played more like a Foundry mission more than anything else.

For better or worse, it did match the feel of season 1 TNG.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    An enjoyable episode, over too soon.

Kudos to the art team on the Galaxy interior -- I spotted a number of in-jokes on Deck 10, probably more that I missed. ;)
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    spiritborn wrote: »
    What's with the Uniform choices? The crew that went missing recently doesn't use the Odyssey uniform and the one that went missing previously is wearing the WoK uniform long after it stopped being worn.
    the Wrath of Khan uniform or at least a variant of it was used in 2330s when Forrestal went missing.
    Aye, that was cleared up earlier in the thread; I wasn't paying attention to the Forrestal and mistook it for a Galaxy Class.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    Nice little mission, short and sweet! I enjoyed it!
    I think I found a bug with the reward, though. My Nausicaan is Lt Commander lvl 11, and the new console dropped at Mark IV, but the system won't let me slot it, it says "your character isn't qualified for this item" or something like that. Working as intended?
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I have to mention: my BOFF and Geordi got stuck in the holodeck room because they would not follow me out the door into the corridor.

BOFFs and NPC Characters stuck and not following seems to be a feature of doorways in missions I have been doing, lately. I am not sure why this happens. But it is annoying.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    interesting mission... Short but sweet.... The two room accolades were meh but OK... Especially given I have many accolades I cant complete due to various changes since the F2P conversion.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    I found it pretty interesting and maybe a lead up to what is to come with season 14. I do have to agree introducing character as a villian with no known back story (other than being trapped in the nexus for eons) about him is leaving alot of holes that might be or might not be filled.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    Good episode, if a bit short. Love the Barclay reference.
    themarie wrote: »
    So where is the rest of the episode? It seems like "most" of it is missing. I'm hoping against hope that there was a mistake and an incomplete episode was uploaded... I rushed home from my day to play this? I was expecting quite a bit more.

This was basically an excuse to sell the Galaxy Class interior wasn't it? As bad as previous episodes where we get to test-fly a premium ship as a major plot point. I get that you need to push the cash-store transactions but you could have built an actual episode to do so.

This was little more than something that was whipped up in a few hours, with a celeb VO thrown in to make up for the lack of content.

Disappointed.

NO stars out of five possible.
    The cost of making bridge interiors cost about as much as the cost to make any other ground map for missions. So no, it wasn't an "excuse", it was a reason. They need to put their non-lockbox-related bridges into missions or they lose money.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    The character as a villain then nebishes out in the end. Oh wow, there are cute little puppy dogs out there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    After replaying I'm still lost on how a starship lasted over 70 years in the Nexus.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I have not seen my Boffs or the NPCs get stuck in doorways in my 2 playthroughs thus far (they do in Facility 4028 though).

i've seen these NPCs jumping at the opening between the map segments in order to get into the holodeck and out of the holodeck.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,666 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    After replaying I'm still lost on how a starship lasted over 70 years in the Nexus.

Same way Kirk lasted over 70 years in the Nexus.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Protein Bars and Energy Drinks. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK6qwW9tgOw

For all we know, the ship's crew may think they only left ESD of the 24th century about 2 hours ago.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Voice actors performed well I thought. Solid effort. I took special notice of the Vulcan and human security guard voice overs, they had excellent delivery. And great video game voices in general.

Was really nice to see and hear Levar again. I thought he recaptured Geordi's nuances without a hitch. "Professional" is the word that comes to mind when describing his performance. Must've been a real pleasure for the audio team to work with such a pro.

Story/mission; Everything felt a little too condensed to create any real drama or leave any meaningful impact. The Villain was typical TOS/TNG hamfest (which isn't a bad thing necessarily) but maybe a little boring. Given we didn't have much time to learn about who or what he was.
    I don't mind these shorter mission though, and I realize it's hard to build drama in such a short window. On the other hand one has to consider that's it's just the introductory mission for Levar's appearance, so expecting a masterpiece is a little over the top.
    Basically, they got us in, acquainted with Levar, pewpew some bad guys, look at the pretty interiors and get a feel for what's to come for s14.

Even though I found the story depth a little thin, it worked well enough for my needs and as an introduction to Geordi's appearance.

Environments; Again, we see the STO env. team hitting above their weight. The Galaxy interior exceeded all (my) expectations by leaps and bounds.

My favorite part of doing this mission was (the fan service stuff) walking through the galaxy engineering deck, ten forward and bridge, and recognizing the familiar sights, and admiring all the attention to detail, and feeling like my character was really aboard the ol' Galaxy.
    Next time I run the mission I'll be taking plenty of screenshots.

Mission rewards were pretty neat also. I like the TNG assault phaser we got.

So overall, I'd give the story and mission mechanics a 6.5/10. It did it's job. but fell a short of anything meaningful or dramatic. Bit thin on the villain background and such, but adequate.
    Served its purpose of introducing Geordi into the STO universe.

Voice Acting: 9/10
    Environments: 10/10

Thanks, looking forward to the next one and s14.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

Same way Kirk lasted over 70 years in the Nexus.

People can enter the Nexus...starships get torn apart. I would think especially the ones before Geordi worked on the Nexus Shield Macguffins
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I liked the episode. Yes it was shorter than I expected, but I also didn't expect anything new at all until Season 14 launched. So this was a pleasant surprise.

I like to speculate over things that are in new episodes and this episode gave me a lot of fuel for the Speculation Engine that is my mind.

Could we see a T6 Ambassador Cruiser in the not too distant future? (Which would be a good time to add in a T6 Vor'cha and something T6 for Roms)

Is the baddie in this mish somehow tied in with the overarching story we're in the middle of with the Tzenkethi or is it a baddie related to someone/something we've seen before in Trek history?

Just how far are the Devs willing to go with this reintroduction of the Nexus?

I think for me, most of the fun is seeing what we're given and then just letting my mind wander the twisted side roads of the "what if" highway.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Season 14 even more now. Especially with more Geordi on the way as well.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,990 Arc User
    Very nice, thanks for the 24th Century rifles, I might have my entire assault team armed with them now
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
      amosov78 wrote: »

I can't remember, how many years had the Forrestal been missing in the Nexus?

It is mentioned that the Forrestal went missing in 2322. We don't know exactly when the WoK uniform changed to the WoK with no undershirt like the one worn by the Enterprise C crew and Picard when he was Captain of the Stargazer so I have no problem with that.
      Dahar Master Qor'aS
    • Options
      mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      trygvar13 wrote: »
      amosov78 wrote: »

I can't remember, how many years had the Forrestal been missing in the Nexus?

It is mentioned that the Forrestal went missing in 2322. We don't know exactly when the WoK uniform changed to the WoK with no undershirt like the one worn by the Enterprise C crew and Picard when he was Captain of the Stargazer so I have no problem with that.

WoK uniforms lasted from 2275 to 2352, those start and end years are estimates within a few years of each other.
      TNG uniforms, lasted from 2353 to 2367.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • Options
      annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
      anodynes wrote: »
      A Caitian Captain named Kythki is another problem. Here's every interaction between her and a human: "Right away, Captain Kitty... errr, Kythki."

When she asked for help, I said out loud "sure thing, kitty-kitty, on our way..."

And when she shot at us, during the battle I was saying "Bad kitty, no! Bad!"

I wonder if anyone else does that sort of thing. I mean she's a cat, we all talk to cats when nobody else is around to hear us, right? It's not just me... is it?
      I talk to my cats regardless of who else is around :D The Turkish Angora is the most vocal in terms of responses, with a variety of sounds, where the Tabby simply mews at any acknowledgement or contact, and the Calico is fairly silent :sunglasses:

you realise being owned by more than two cats qualifies you as the neighborhood "Crazy cat lady"
      We Want Vic Fontaine
    • Options
      ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
      It was correctly made, but really short and almost feeling anecdotal for a Feature Episode, especially compared to Brushfire. All in all, it didn't felt as much a proper episode as an excuse to have Levar Burton voice Geordi.

The main bad guy was interesting nonetheless, even though he surely does not get a whole lot of screen time.

Also, what happened to that Caitian Captain who hailed us onboard the Madison? She is nowhere to be seen on the bridge during the final battle...