What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Do You Think? Beyond the Nexus

Comments

• Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    A Caitian Captain named Kythki is another problem. Here's every interaction between her and a human: "Right away, Captain Kitty... errr, Kythki."

When she asked for help, I said out loud "sure thing, kitty-kitty, on our way..."

And when she shot at us, during the battle I was saying "Bad kitty, no! Bad!"

I wonder if anyone else does that sort of thing. I mean she's a cat, we all talk to cats when nobody else is around to hear us, right? It's not just me... is it?
    I talk to my cats regardless of who else is around :D The Turkish Angora is the most vocal in terms of responses, with a variety of sounds, where the Tabby simply mews at any acknowledgement or contact, and the Calico is fairly silent :sunglasses:

you realise being owned by more than two cats qualifies you as the neighborhood "Crazy cat lady"
    Did I say 'my cats'?? I, er, meant wifey's cats... Yes, that's what I meant; definitely her cats... :blush:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    It was correctly made, but really short and almost feeling anecdotal for a Feature Episode, especially compared to Brushfire. All in all, it didn't felt as much a proper episode as an excuse to have Levar Burton voice Geordi.

The main bad guy was interesting nonetheless, even though he surely does not get a whole lot of screen time.

Also, what happened to that Caitian Captain who hailed us onboard the Madison? She is nowhere to be seen on the bridge during the final battle...
    The door to the head doesn't open, maybe it's locked from the inside ;)

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Looks like we have an emergency Maintenance tomorrow. They were defaulting Galaxy Bridges to the incomplete new one. Will go back to Origin after the patch.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    This was a nice intro mission to S14. A teaser, if you will. It lacked the punch of the one before it with Martok in it. Now there's an STO Episode with all the all the weapons full charged and rockin' an' rollin'. This one was more like chasing Bad Leeta around on Bad Bajor (Waitaminnit! There's a Good Bajor? lol) Levar Burton is ingame. He's doing the fan service thing very well. And it was fun to play. Only real drawback was it was over so quickly. I am hoping we get to see more of him more often. I'd like it a lot if Geordi LaForge was one of the centerpiece NPCs of S14. Be a real shame if Cryptic spent all that VO money and time just for one ten minute mission, wouldn't it?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    It was correctly made, but really short and almost feeling anecdotal for a Feature Episode, especially compared to Brushfire. All in all, it didn't felt as much a proper episode as an excuse to have Levar Burton voice Geordi.

The main bad guy was interesting nonetheless, even though he surely does not get a whole lot of screen time.

Also, what happened to that Caitian Captain who hailed us onboard the Madison? She is nowhere to be seen on the bridge during the final battle...
    The door to the head doesn't open, maybe it's locked from the inside ;)

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about her too. Such a pretty kitty, I hope she's ok. I'm mad at her for clawing my furniture I mean missing the litterbox I mean shooting at us, but I still want to pet her and feed her catnip treats. Weaponized cuteness is more potent than any psionic weapon, I say.

Also, I don't think it matters -what- a Caitian is named, to humans they're ALL "Kitty". Including the males. I imagine humans falling to pieces over them is considered both a blessing and a curse...
    :D:D

I'm sure Kitty came out again when Khaj'buur released his claim :D:D

• Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    This would be great as an introductory mission to an arc, but feels light for a full featured episode. I'd have liked a little more noting Geordi's personal connection to the Nexus.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    The episode was terrible... the only good thing about it was that it ended quickly. I give it 2/5.

The Nexus is there and we can't go in??? What a wasted opportunity to do something super cool, instead you did nothing.

Geordi LaForge didn't even have any "Techno-babble" to say... who writes this junk?

Stop wasting your money on these voice actors and hire a real science fiction writer. These stories are for 10 year olds. I am sure you can find some old trek writers to write something.

Where's Data already?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    My biggest problem with it is that it didn't NEED Geordi LaForge. That could have been ANYONE doing what he did. There wasn't anything Geordi about that character's role in the mission.

I would have expected them to come up with a story that actually NEEDED LaForge in it if they were going to bring in LeVar Burton to play Geordi again. I suggested elsewhere that perhaps if they had used the USS HERA as one of the ships (Geordi's mother was "lost" when the HERA went missing, back in TNG), it might have been more appropriate to include LaForge.

The problem is applying that to the Nexus, the Hera was lost 2370, the Nexus came through 2371 and there could of been a lot of light years covering the Veridian system near the Amagosa star and the Marijne System, the USS Hera was a Nebula class ship as well, so it would of been difficult to go through space to reach the Nexus unnoticed and why would Silva La Forge and her crew of Vulcans want to go into the Nexus for a year in advance?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I will reserve judgment until I see how (or if) this episode plays a part in the greater scheme of things. Taken on its own it has all the qualities and/or issues already mentioned. While very practical for grinding it through multiple characters it leaves me somewhat empty, not unlike a quick grap of junk food to quell your hungry feeling. It somehow works, but it doesn't really feel fulfilling.

I've encountered the "too stupid to use a door boff" phenomenon a lot lately while replaying older episodes, this happened to me couple of times here before. But since all combats except for 10 forward will beam your boff in regardless of position it isn't that relevant - and that combat is also quite easy to do alone. The only somewhat challenging part is the latter waves on the engineering deck due to sheer numbers. Which is fine since I can just choose any old boff who doesn't see much of away missions and only has dropped gear and no real abilities for this mission, not only the same four over and over again. That is one part I actually enjoy, picking an underused boff.

The ship interior has already been lauded and rightfully so. The (for Fed ships new?) scramble ability during the first space flight should get a mention - unfortunately the ship will still not survive the first or second volley. I also liked the help you got on the bridge fight, not because you needed it, but because for once NPCs don't wait for you to do all their work.

All in all "meh". What was there was kind of enjoyable, but it wasn't much and it lacked the feel of a challenge both gameplay wise and story wise. Too much, at least for now, came out of left field.

Some comments on other criticisms:
    Hail ship. Beam down, go to the Holodeck. Shoot three groups of enemies. Play a mini-game. Go to Ten Forward. Read some text while shooting three more groups of enemies that are defeated with one pulsewave shot. Go to Engineering. Play another mini-game. While again shooting three easy enemy groups. Go to Bridge, shoot some enemies.

Minor corrections: it starts with "Hail ship. Disable ship. Beam down, ...", and Ten Forward only has two waves of enemies, not three. Otherwise pretty accurate.
    The dominated crew have a green aura around their head, but their heads are missing. even if another lifeform had taken control of these crew members minds, their heads wouldn't disappear.

I don't have much experience with mind controlled people, but I think in our world it wouldn't be that obvious and physically strange, agreed. However, in Star Trek I've seen loads of physical changes to appearances that don't make too much sense, this doesn't really stand out in that regard. Including their return to normal after being stunned I think this makes for a nice effect, so I'll gladly suspend my disbelief here.
    wwwwoody wrote: »
    When helping Geordi with the warp core the interaction button comes up but nothing worked until standing virtually ontop of the core.

Haven't tried that, what worked for me while facing the issue of interact showing up but not reacting to f smash was moving away from the railing. It's probably standing too close to it that somehow obstructs the connection with the core.
    Reg's fantasy women were folk he knew and we as the viewers knew that he knew. Not some random salmon pink girl, would have been better to show it being the person who is in the bar later. This was a rehash of the mirrors and smoke moon segment only in a tinier space.

While they were folk we knew he knew in the respective episode, I don't find it outlandish at all that at one point in time he served with random salmon girl and included her in one of his programs. Though the idea of her being the Ocampan bar maid or somebody else from that crew (even captain Kitty) has its appeal, agreed.

And I totally fail to see a connection with mirrors and smoke.
    When our characters press 'continue' he responds with 'that's entirely possible'. What is, exactly? Unless he's continuing on his own observations which means he's talking to himself even though he has a channel open to our ship.

And why is he saying 'good to see you again' when this is the first time I'm encountering him? Unless it's explained later on in the episode, another odd thing I noticed.

Yeah, these two stood out a little negatively. And since it is the first dialogue, it somehow dampens the mood right off the bat.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    How do we know if we haven't seen him before? Not every interaction need be in a Mission. This is not really a problem. You know we have saved the Galaxy numerous times already. Geordi could have been in an audience at one of our celebrations.

You don't see your Character going to the bathroom but assume we must, unless that is one of the things that makes us great. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    My biggest problem with it is that it didn't NEED Geordi LaForge. That could have been ANYONE doing what he did. There wasn't anything Geordi about that character's role in the mission.

I would have expected them to come up with a story that actually NEEDED LaForge in it if they were going to bring in LeVar Burton to play Geordi again. I suggested elsewhere that perhaps if they had used the USS HERA as one of the ships (Geordi's mother was "lost" when the HERA went missing, back in TNG), it might have been more appropriate to include LaForge.

Forced to agree in some respects. "Expert on the Nexus" is fairly poor.

To be honest (and overlooking Real life reasoning r.e voice actors for a moment), I'd argue that in terms of experts on the nexus Starfleet should have looked to either Guinan or Jean-Luc Picard first. Sorry, but there is NO way that LaForge knows more about the Nexus than two people who've actually experienced it first-hand.

In the correct timeline La Forge indeed wouldn't have any idea about the energy ribbon as it wouldn't of hit the Veridian planet, along with the natives and those stranded on the remaining fragment of the Ent-D. It seems more shoehorned in to some character from TNG because of Generations rather than creating a new character as an expert on the Nexus.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    How do we know if we haven't seen him before? Not every interaction need be in a Mission. This is not really a problem. You know we have saved the Galaxy numerous times already. Geordi could have been in an audience at one of our celebrations.

Technically you are correct. We could have been golfing buddies for ages, with less time during the last two years. Even more probable: high ranking star fleet officers will just see each other during manoeuvres, larger briefings etc. But whenever things like this happen without any explanation, it feels off. This has happened not only in computer games but also in TV series, when suddenly somebody's best buddy since 10 years appears who funnily never was mentioned before. This often coincides for TV with a jumping the shark moment.

Unless this is a plot point, it also could easily be avoided by either LaForge not knowing our captain or two sentences somewhere. Maybe a "remind me again" discussion option.

So as it stands it is kind of a bump in the episode that stops it from smooth going. It is not a plot hole or similar, but taken on its own it seems a bit sloppy.
  • Options
    gannadenegannadene Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    Contrary to what some are saying, I thought this mission is more in line with what I want from STO. The mission wasn't overly long (like most of the missions are). The voice acting from Mister Burton was spot on. It wasn't strung together with an unnecessarily complicated overarching narrative and was a self contained story. And it had a good balance of pacing.

My only complaint might be that there wasn't much point to the story itself, in terms of resolution. Unlike TNG, there was no finale scene of explanation and overall bearing for why the story was told in the first place. Which is a common problem in Cryptic stories - a lot of violence with no real point behind it, beyond some fairly thin good vs evil themes.

Personally, I wish most missions were like Star Trek episodes, and around this length.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Please let us know what you think of the latest featured episode, Beyond the Nexus, right here!

I enjoyed the mission quite a bit! It had a little bit of everything, wasn't dragged on too long, and the console reward is decent. This is honestly my preferred length for most missions. I think the only thing it felt like it was missing was a trip to the Battle Bridge after getting everything restored in Engineering to separate the ship so Georgi could take the Saucer section to safety while you fend off the enemies. I know. That's not how it was written, but it seems like a missed opportunity to add something we all want that has honestly yet to appear in any mission.
  • Options
    Just to confirm the 'stuck in doorways' thing: I didn't load it up with my Romulan before the emergency patch, but the 'stuck in doorways' is much more noticeable on this play through, than either my previous Fed or KDF runs.

Y0I9S28.jpg

This little miss refused to leave the holodeck till after Ten Forward got cleared out :open_mouth::open_mouth:

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I enjoyed the episode, but when replaying it on my KDF character I was greatly saddened by the lack of faction flavor like all too many episodes as of late.
    I mean all of a sudden I'm supposed to spare a vanquished foe?
    At the very least the option should have come up to tell the alien they will "die with honor", with LaForge protesting and stopping you, rather than just going "I'm taking you into custody"
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    I enjoyed the episode, but when replaying it on my KDF character I was greatly saddened by the lack of faction flavor like all too many episodes as of late.
    I mean all of a sudden I'm supposed to spare a vanquished foe?
    At the very least the option should have come up to tell the alien they will "die with honor", with LaForge protesting and stopping you, rather than just going "I'm taking you into custody"
    I won't say what my Orion did while in Ten Forward, but it was totally in keeping ;)

• Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Great to have LeVar Burton involved and the new Galaxy interior looks superb - great job on both counts.

Besides that, meh/10. Short, complete lack of challenge and fairly dull - I hope it was a precursor to something, but on it's own I found it very forgettable. The Nexus offers so many possibilities and options, that mission explored none of them.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2017
    garaks31 wrote: »
    ha ha "good to see you again..." time travel episode is coming! wanted to see inside nexus ... maybe next time

Yea, I was intrigued by this episode. Still I found the story well a bit short and the reason for why this Alien choose to attack seemed a bit odd.

I would have rather found a few misunderstandings & conflicts slowly escalate to bringing us closer and closer to the nexus till we find till both crews suddenly inside the nexus with an Alien who attempts to aid/impair us as we attempt to solve a mystery of his own. Since time has no meaning inside the nexus at the conclusion both crews are returned back to their own timeline.

But it seemed we never found ourselves inside it; only along the border's edge. But who knows... maybe we could still find ourselves inside the nexus at some point? Overall it was good - just thought it was a bit short.

While I thought it was nice to find us aboard an earlier version Enterprise with some nice updates to the interior. I was surprised as Ten Forward appeared smaller in contrast to what we were used to with TNG. Ten Forward look like it barely had enough room for two rows of tables prior to the windows and on TNG there certainly was more.

Not a huge issue - Just an observation. :)
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    themarie wrote: »
    This was basically an excuse to sell the Galaxy Class interior wasn't it?

Better get in now, before they tell you that it's unavailable because you already own the Galaxy Class, or whatever.

(Precedent: Intrepid interior)

• Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    To short to easy BORING!
  • Options
    Why an Ambassador Class? Maybe a set up for the introduction of a T6 with the Miracle Worker Specialization. Perhaps a T6 Vor'cha as well as well as a Romulan something as part of a Cross-faction Pack.

Anything is possible.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    The villain, at least for me, was/is somewhat glitched. He initially appears as a dude in his shorts, and then subsequently transforms into the black, sparkly being he is apparently supposed to be as the fight begins. Is he a disgruntled Risian beach goer? If so, this is a brilliant villain backstory.
  • Options
    tvirx wrote: »
    The villain, at least for me, was/is somewhat glitched. He initially appears as a dude in his shorts, and then subsequently transforms into the black, sparkly being he is apparently supposed to be as the fight begins. Is he a disgruntled Risian beach goer? If so, this is a brilliant villain backstory.

Maybe it's just Q messing with us! :D
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @ltminns said:
    > Why an Ambassador Class? Maybe a set up for the introduction of a T6 with the Miracle Worker Specialization. Perhaps a T6 Vor'cha as well as well as a Romulan something as part of a Cross-faction Pack.
    >
    > Anything is possible.

Yes please, would love a T6 Ambassador, beside the Guardian. Gimmie a T6 Kamarag with it and come up with something for Roms or just give them access to the allied ship (much how a Fed allied Rom can claim the T5 Ambassador if you claimed it in the c-store giveaway). No way it's usable but one of my favorite Trek comics featured a late original cast film era Romulan ship, looked like midway between a K'tinga and D'Deridex (said story also featured alternate timeline Worf, father of Mogh, as Science Officer aboard NCC 1701 - A).

I am also all for a T6 Ambassador and a T6 Kamarag! Unfortunately, the dev's hate the Ambassador so much, it has never been put up for sale and we will probably never see another. Even when you look at the past event ships in the Phoenix boxes, the Ambassador and Kamarag are not there.
  • Options
    I do have the T5 version unlocked for my Account. It is the only Federation T5 that can be used by Fed-aligned Romulans.

There is a Fleet T5U available but it will cost 4 Fleet Modules and an Upgrade Token.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    The longer I play it the more I realize one very positive thing about this episode. Even if it doesn't really fit into the already quite broken-down-into-several-parts storyline of the lukari, we have an episode where the fate of the universe or at least a civilization/government is not at stake. Which every now and then is a nice change of pace.