test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The new Doctor is female

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,368 Arc User
    Ten did not "channel a regeneration into growing a hand" - he stated, in dialog, that he was still in the process of regenerating, and it was his hope that enough of the energy was left over to regrow the hand. If you count the War Doctor (and the Doctor him/herself doesn't, and you'd think he/she would know), that would still only be 14.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    jonsills wrote: »
    Ten did not "channel a regeneration into growing a hand" - he stated, in dialog, that he was still in the process of regenerating, and it was his hope that enough of the energy was left over to regrow the hand. If you count the War Doctor (and the Doctor him/herself doesn't, and you'd think he/she would know), that would still only be 14.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, War, 9, 10, 10 again, 11.
    That's Hartnel to Smith and that's all 13 lives. It doesn't matter if War is considered a Doctor by the rest only that he counts biologically.

12 & 13 or 1 & 2 or 14 & 15. There's not only 14 by any system.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User

You might want to rewatch it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yGSLDE_HMg
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

That's Hartnel to Smith and that's all 13 lives. It doesn't matter if War is considered a Doctor by the rest only that he counts biologically.

I haz a new counting method. War doesn't count as "The Doctor" as he is/was not considered to be "The Doctor". And 10 changed into himself, therefore not a new Doctor. Tadaaaaa - 13. :D

• Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Wow there is a lot of vitriol around the web about a woman taking over the role of the Doctor. TBH, I'm more concerned with Steven Moffat exiting the show.

That's odd, considering how many people seem to hate him and his work as well. :/
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    qjunior wrote: »
    That's odd, considering how many people seem to hate him and his work as well. :/

I didn't find his work to be all that terrible lol. It's all a matter of preference.

True, I think often times people confuse "not what I wanted to happen" with "bad". :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I haz a new counting method. War doesn't count as "The Doctor" as he is/was not considered to be "The Doctor". And 10 changed into himself, therefore not a new Doctor. Tadaaaaa - 13. :D

You may want to rewatch The Time of The Doctor, Matt Smith's incarnation will disagree with you at about 34 minutes in (and before you dispute me, I have JUST CHECKED)

That should put this argument finally to bed
  • Options

You may want to rewatch The Time of The Doctor, Matt Smith's incarnation will disagree with you at about 34 minutes in (and before you dispute me, I have JUST CHECKED)

That should put this argument finally to bed

I have no claim in this, I don't have to be right. Also I don't have access to that episode. What did he say ?
  • Options
    I was going to type out the whole scene, but here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNMz1zsDNFA

Now can we please put this silly numbering argument to bed, it's doing more harm than good
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I was going to type out the whole scene, but here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNMz1zsDNFA

Now can we please put this silly numbering argument to bed, it's doing more harm than good

Well, that is certainly interesting, but the official Doctor count counts the number of actors who played the Doctor, not incarnations or regenerations. The new Doctor will be the 13th person to play the role of the Doctor and that's why it's 13 (the War Doctor isn't counted). At least that is how Moffat explained it. Found that info by just googling it.

And yes, let's please go back to talking about the new Doctor reveal, no matter what number.
  • Options
    And yes, let's please go back to talking about the new Doctor reveal, no matter what number.

I'm really looking forward to series 11, and Jodie's first appearance in the Xmas special, can't wait to see what her first line will be
  • Options

I'm really looking forward to series 11, and Jodie's first appearance in the Xmas special, can't wait to see what her first line will be

Agreed, I also wonder how the dynamics between the new Doctor and her companions might change. Do you think they'll stick with mostly female companions or go the opposite direction or a mix even ? :)
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User

'Still not ginger.'
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options

Agreed, I also wonder how the dynamics between the new Doctor and her companions might change. Do you think they'll stick with mostly female companions or go the opposite direction or a mix even ? :)

I like it best when companions don't survive travelling with the Doctor, their death scenes are so well handled, the 8th Doctor has most of his companions die. Of the 5 mentioned in The Night of the Doctor, 4 died. Lucie's death and the Doctor's reaction to it are some of the finest moments in the history of the show
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    meh. The Tom Baker doctor was the best.

/barf

Davidson. Tom Baker's years was like Adam West's Batman... full of camp. K9 and Lelia... yeah lets run around in animal skin bikinis cause he didnt have any spare decent female clothes stored on the Tardis nor could he bother to go buy some at the next stop.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    patrickngo wrote: »
    meh. The Tom Baker doctor was the best.

/barf

Davidson. Tom Baker's years was like Adam West's Batman... full of camp. K9 and Lelia... yeah lets run around in animal skin bikinis cause he didnt have any spare decent female clothes stored on the Tardis nor could he bother to go buy some at the next stop.

Actullly, Tom's years ,which were my fav, had a lot of scary stuff in it. I liked his style, quite alien in a way.

Davidson was sorta dull to me.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,368 Arc User
    Yay, contradictory canon! Gotta love it! :smile:

I've never seen Broadchurch, but people who have assure me Whittaker is more than capable of playing the Doctor quite well.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options

I've never seen Broadchurch, but people who have assure me Whittaker is more than capable of playing the Doctor quite well.

Peter Capaldi seems to think she will do a great job as well. I refuse to prejudge a performance before seeing it anyway. And I think I never saw any of the other Doctor actors in anything before I saw them on Who, so no prejudice there either.
  • Options

Peter Capaldi seems to think she will do a great job as well. I refuse to prejudge a performance before seeing it anyway. And I think I never saw any of the other Doctor actors in anything before I saw them on Who, so no prejudice there either.

She's from Up North, same as Ecclestone, wonder whether she'll affect a Northern accent or just go with RP like Tennant
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

She's from Up North, same as Ecclestone, wonder whether she'll affect a Northern accent or just go with RP like Tennant

I hope not. Sod female role models, we need more Northern ones pig-2.gif.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > wildthyme467989 wrote: »
    >
    > qjunior wrote: »
    >
    > jonsills wrote: »
    >
    > Yay, contradictory canon! Gotta love it! :smile:
    >
    > I've never seen Broadchurch, but people who have assure me Whittaker is more than capable of playing the Doctor quite well.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Peter Capaldi seems to think she will do a great job as well. I refuse to prejudge a performance before seeing it anyway. And I think I never saw any of the other Doctor actors in anything before I saw them on Who, so no prejudice there either.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > She's from Up North, same as Ecclestone, wonder whether she'll affect a Northern accent or just go with RP like Tennant
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I hope not. Sod female role models, we need more Northern ones .​​

Lots of planets have a North
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    thay8472 wrote: »
    'Still not ginger.'

Actually... I think she'll FIRST mention having some new random body part, as the running gag has been for each regen. THEN when she gets herself together and look in a mirror she'll say something about not being a redhead.

So... what body part do you think she'll say is new this time? :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    'Still not ginger.'

Actually... I think she'll FIRST mention having some new random body part, as the running gag has been for each regen. THEN when she gets herself together and look in a mirror she'll say something about not being a redhead.

Hmmm ... I think ... first she'll notice the voice, look into a mirror ... and faint.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    'Still not ginger.'

more like this time s/he'll say a certain body part is MISSING​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Counting how many actual Doctors there are, and how many actors have played him, and how many series the show actually has, is quite difficult. :p

Whatever it is - I am looking forward. I enjoyed every Doctor so far since the "restart" of the show. A female Doctor seems like a cool idea.

I am ultimately more interested about the new stories to be told. I feel like I enjoyed the story lines during the Matt Smith era best. A new showrunner might do good. Look at how Star Trek started to decline with the same people constantly at the helm - even though they were part of making it great in the first place, at some point the creative energy just isn't there anymore.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    'Still not ginger.'

Depends... does this version remember having been portrayed by Joanna Lumley?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg