test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gold Spamming via FRIENDSHIP INVITATION

2»

Comments

• nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I just click the X on those windows. It leaves the request in never-accepted-or-rejected limbo, thus they can't send another.

That's an excellent tip that I'll have to remember!

• byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    I honestly wonder how they can be so prolific in a game where there's RMT built in (zen).
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Console commands?

Ya, I couldn't find a way thru the ui to remove a friend from the friendlist, so I had to use a console command to remove him. I would guess there's also a console command to disable friend invites, but I haven't looked. I had hoped someone already knew how to do it, and share the info.

To remove a friend is /Unfriend player@handle

You go to the friends page and either click the big "remove friend" button on the bottom or just right click their name and do it from the menu that pops up.

I tried that before searching- button isn't there, and right click does nothing. Guess there's a second friends page hiding somewhere, the one accessable via the gear icon in the chatbox is the only one I could find.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I honestly wonder how they can be so prolific in a game where there's RMT built in (zen).

Mainly because while zen is the premium cash shop currency there are still a ton of items that are high ec value items, namely lockbox content like traits and the insanely low droprate ships. And of course the lobi ships which require a ton of boxes to be opened to get even close to a t6.

If some are asking 1.5 billion for a ship then others will start to look at the options open to them whether they are legit and within the ToS or not.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Console commands?

Ya, I couldn't find a way thru the ui to remove a friend from the friendlist, so I had to use a console command to remove him. I would guess there's also a console command to disable friend invites, but I haven't looked. I had hoped someone already knew how to do it, and share the info.

To remove a friend is /Unfriend player@handle

You go to the friends page and either click the big "remove friend" button on the bottom or just right click their name and do it from the menu that pops up.

I tried that before searching- button isn't there, and right click does nothing. Guess there's a second friends page hiding somewhere, the one accessable via the gear icon in the chatbox is the only one I could find.

Did you click on their name in your friend list window? When you do that, the button should pop up to unfriend them. It's how I've removed friends when cleaning my list out.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Had one of those the other day. Wish Cryptic would actually do something about these. Reporting them seems to do nothing.
  • tirpider#8006 tirpider Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Had one of those the other day. Wish Cryptic would actually do something about these. Reporting them seems to do nothing.

What do you want them to do?

Make a hostile environment for friend request spammers.

• byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    It's not easy to curb RMT, they can and often do find ways to get their message out. Unfortunately anything you do invariably effects normal players as every contingency has the potential of far reaching consequences. You could set it to where you can only fully participate socially till level 20 (it's all too easy to get to level 10), stripping away the ability to use the interaction menu. Well, that would unfortunately prevent new players legitimately playing the game from the same. You could set up a quick report function (this was recently added to XIV) but you'd need a punishment for abuse of said function. Though we already do have a means of reporting players which is something we'll just have to rely on for this matter. RMT can only really be reasonably dealt with by making the game unfriendly at it's core. People have to stop buying from them. If they can't do that, then the RMT will keep finding ways.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
    Well, I see the ability of a friend request to interrupt my game, legitimate or not, as a flaw of the program.

Have the notification make the social icon flash instead of throwing a big stupid window in the dead center of the screen?

Perhaps a way to adjust where it lands on the HUD configuration?

Make friend requests in-game email only, so there is no un-needed popup.

A setting to never show friend requests that defaults to off so new folks can get the same nuisance before googling a half finished fan-run wiki to find out how to turn it on?

Lots of ways to go here without pandering to spammers by just letting them abuse your players.
  • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    For what it's worth, I've noticed a pattern in these(and via ingame mail to a lesser extent) requests, as of late...; they all seem to, somewhere in the part after the @, have a hashtag(#), followed by a 4-digit number...I've noticed quite a few of these lurking on Risa; most are in Fleets and a slight majority appear to be in foreign-language Fleets...so I've begun to pre-emptively /ignore these before they even try anything....
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
    capemike4 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I've noticed a pattern in these(and via ingame mail to a lesser extent) requests, as of late...; they all seem to, somewhere in the part after the @, have a hashtag(#), followed by a 4-digit number...I've noticed quite a few of these lurking on Risa; most are in Fleets and a slight majority appear to be in foreign-language Fleets...so I've begun to pre-emptively /ignore these before they even try anything....

The game added a # and 4 digits to the end of my user name for my in-game email. Despite my name already being unique. It didn't ask, just did it. You've been blocking actual people.
  • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    capemike4 wrote: »

The game added a # and 4 digits to the end of my user name for my in-game email. Despite my name already being unique. It didn't ask, just did it. You've been blocking actual people.

Huh...guess I better go back and check some of that! <_<;

When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
    heh, I wouldn't. But that's just me with an empty friends list. I can see where other folks might like having associates in an mmo.
    edited June 2017
    -meh not worth this-
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Ignore the initial contact than go to your friend list and ignore the second invite. Do that over and over and over .. and over again. Woooo~
    Tza0PEl.png
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    I received more than 20 invitations in less than five hours playing yesterday. Twice the popups got me killed in since they happen during dailies. They should make the invitation window not a popup. The developers should let me decide if and most importantly when I deal with others. There should also be a be a small fee associated with such requests. If the person accepts you get it back. If not they get it for you wasting their time. Just sayin'...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    There should also be a be a small fee associated with such requests. If the person accepts you get it back. If not they get it for you wasting their time. Just sayin'...
    I've proposed this as a counter for spam, and in the past, implemented it elsewhere. It works. If someone has to make a million EC deposit on friend-spamming, with it being given to the guy if rejected, the friend spam CEASES COMPLETELY, while having little to no real effect on actual players, who don't send invites that just get rejected.

And really, this is kind of the endgame from people complaining about the tells and mails...at least THOSE were inobtrusive compared to popups hijacking your screen. This is why we invented Adblock.

No doubt... I think a million is seriously a bit much but something along the line of 50k would be far more reasonable methinks.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    no, 50K is peanuts...thanks to EC hyperinflation, even a million is way too little​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.