test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will New Exchange CAP increase serve to increase price gouging?

starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
Already this would be the 2nd time in less than a year they are fixing the exchange CAP.
Does the community feel there should not be a CAP increase at all or will this serve to create more price gouging.

Instead of CAP increases perhaps have better trading mechanisms to ensure a "fair" trade between people. Let's hear your ideas?​​

Will New Exchange CAP increase serve to increase price gouging? 47 votes

Increase CAP to 2BILLION as per last update but no more.
10% 5 votes
Increase even further with NO CAP ceiling
10% 5 votes
NO. This will only serve to inflate the economy and create more price gouging
57% 27 votes
Leave CAP as is but only work on TRADE CAP increase to include no EC ceiling
0% 0 votes
Not sure/Other. Explain
21% 10 votes
Post edited by starcruiser#3423 on

Comments

• Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    No. It will not increase prices by more than a small margin, and then only on the high end items that are hitting the preexisting exchange cap.

Why?

The perceived value of the items will not change. What people see as worth 150m EC yesterday is not going to change to 750m EC by this evening.

The only thing this does is create a market for the promo ships and allow someone to sell it on the exchange versus trying to sell it privately and it allows the players to hold more EC than they were previously able, making the purchase of goods easier to do. You can buy it all at once instead of getting some this time, building up the funds again, and getting the rest later.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    There is no option for "it will increase competition, that will stabilize the prices", no cannot vote
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    IMO:

NO. This will only serve to inflate the economy and create more price gouging.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    storules wrote: »
    IMO:

NO. This will only serve to inflate the economy and create more price gouging.​​

So your answer is actually yes?

That poll is biased and nonsensical. A negative answer is actually a positive one, and there is no true negative answer to it.

Based on the question in the poll, the poll options are:

1) not related to the question
    2) not related to the question
    3) agree with me
    4) not related to the question
    5) wanted a fifth option.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Those items that were at the 750 Million Exchange Cap were almost all knuckleheaded scammer postings or used for extra Storage.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    I say prices are going down. There are already TOS Connies on the Exchange. That's a 300M EC drop in price right there.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    My answer, wait and see.
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    I say prices are going down. There are already TOS Connies on the Exchange. That's a 300M EC drop in price right there.

This is what should be happening, however as I post this- there are no Connies on the Exchange.

That is sort of my marker for the effect not just of the Cap increase but the Grey Market strength itself. If after a few days to settle- will Connies especially and Promo ships in general remain above the Cap and still be a Grey Market only item.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    My answer, wait and see.
    trekpuppy wrote: »

This is what should be happening, however as I post this- there are no Connies on the Exchange.

That is sort of my marker for the effect not just of the Cap increase but the Grey Market strength itself. If after a few days to settle- will Connies especially and Promo ships in general remain above the Cap and still be a Grey Market only item.

If they put it on the exchange, i'm sure they already sold fast!, i know if i have the money i'll buy one this instant!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    We'll see soon enough, but it seems likely that they'll lower prices since now it will likely be possible to better compare offerings on the exchange, instead of having to rely on chat channels and being lucky that one of the individuals that owns the ship you want is online and reading at the same time.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Since the increased cap is going to allow me to put some extreme high end goods (a T6 Connie, neat!) on the open market undercutting others slightly for quicker sale, that's increasing supply. Prices of those items will likely go DOWN slightly.

Though my contribution evidently won't be up for long.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    This poll is a monument to ignorance.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Truthbomb

Worth quoting again
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    This change will have no effect at all on items that can already be had on the Exchange. It's going to allow buyers to find items on the Exchange now that they previously had to seek via private sale. Since those sales aren't private anymore, they will be safer and more consistent in pricing. It would be silly to believe that an open market leads to price gouging. This is just basic economics.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,527 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    IMO:

So your answer is actually yes?

That poll is biased and nonsensical. A negative answer is actually a positive one, and there is no true negative answer to it.

Based on the question in the poll, the poll options are:

1) not related to the question
    2) not related to the question
    3) agree with me
    4) not related to the question
    5) wanted a fifth option.

Indeed. Bad poll is full of badness. Write a sensical poll and we'll talk.
  • Options
    I saw no selection that reflected what I thought about it. Every selection is pure nonsense.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    It would be silly to believe that an open market leads to price gouging. This is just basic economics.

Your understanding of "basic" economics is flawed.

Open Markets can be undermined when there is a single supplier or a small number of suppliers using price fixing. STO may (I'm not saying it is) be subject to that with the high end items currently due to the Pareto Distribution concentrating space wealth into a few hands.

If this has happened, we'll see the price of Promo Ships (especially the Connie as I've already mention) rise to exceed the Exchange Cap in quick order.

I say quick because the Cash Supply in STO will now increase, and that will case inflation. So in time *no matter what* the Promo Ships will again be sold above the Exchange cap.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

Truthbomb

Worth quoting again

and once more for good measure​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

Glad someone got it. Explaining economics around here often feels like tilting at windmills.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    This poll makes no sense to me. I refrain from voting.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I see no ships worth 2bil on the exchange and definitely will be a concern for price gouging. However, time will tell :)​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    My .2 slips of Latinum:

I've seen enough gouging attempts on the exchange, that I think raising the cap, will likely encourage sharks to try upping their prices further, to gouge others and further line their own pockets.

Cornering the market may not be sustainable (because new commodities can be brought onto the market) but it's still possible to corner the market short-term, and influence it that way. For example:

Starfleet Klingon tactical females (very rare quality) Last time I was able to log in, they were 35 million, they could now be more (or less) Maybe I was lucky when I scored mine for less than 20'000, maybe someone was meaning to list her for 2'000'000 or 20'000'000' hit list too soon without checking just as I happened to be searching, but there were certainly none listed below 35M when I was last able to check. So is that the sign of 'supply and demand', or is it an example of someone with a harem of Klingon lovelies, who's only prepared to sell them for 35M? And if folks are Space-Rich, with a billion ec in their account, then 35M is small potatoes, so they're willing to pay, so Big Papa Klingon, thinks he can keep charging 35M.

The result of that isn't just 'supply and demand' as some might claim, but a multi-tier economy keeping the good stuffz, out of the hands of the players who don't focus on grinding for ec or trading.

I've been able to turn a 20'000 seed into 33M purely through smart sales, taking advantage of micro-fluctuations inprice, and a little low-grade, short term market-cornering. Like that Ferengi eccentric who wants to perform an economic experiment with Lobi crystals, I'm performing an economic experiment to see just how high I can get that figure, purely through smart sales and cumulative profits (No Gouging!) rather than adding to it by just buying new keys from the Z store with real world cash to throw onto the exchange.

It's been said that rising tides lift all boats, but also pointed out, that all that does, is raise ec prices. It doesn't put more ec into the accounts of the players (and let's not forget, not everyone has the time to log in twelve hours a day to watch the exchange continuously to take advantage of short-term fluctuations in commodity prices) so a higher exchange cap could just mean moving everything further out of those player's reach... I can see why people aren't happy with the prospect of this Tantalus-esque situation, where their goal keeps moving inexplicably beyond their grasp. Higher caps doesn't give them more ec, it just facilitates people cornering a market or gouging.

Of course, each player's resources and commodities are his or her own, to price as they wish, and as some have mentoned, listing a high price doesn't necessarily guarantee a high sale price. But with the right cornering, with the right price-point, it can guarantee that price for a while, and that, is when folks are just gouging their fellow players to line their own pockets.

The trick, is knowing when to stop and rest the market. Keep the price too high for too long, and people will just stop trying to buy (which is what I suspect is happening with Starfleet Klingon fems) and the market would stagnate. As a trader, the trick is in learning the difference between a fair profit, and just gouging in the quest for the Big Score ;)

Don't forget what happened to Randolph and Mortimer Duke ;)

"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    Prices are high because the demand is outpacing the supply and there is no meaningful EC sink in game. If you want to curb "perceived" EC inflation, increase the supply of the in demand items and put in some sort of, or preferably multiple, EC sinks.

Nothing else will make any difference what so ever. An EC cap increase, Exchange price increase etc, will serve only as a short, and by short I mean less than 6 months, "stabilization" of prices before said prices start to rise again.

As economics has demonstrated throughout history, the ONLY way to lower prices universally and "permanently" is to increase supply of said in demand item. This will force competition and price slashing among those who hold said item.

Nothing else will matter. Increase the EC cap and Exchange listing cap and within a few months, the prices will be over cap again and people will be clamoring for another raise.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    corelogik wrote: »
    Prices are high because the demand is outpacing the supply and there is no meaningful EC sink in game. If you want to curb "perceived" EC inflation, increase the supply of the in demand items and put in some sort of, or preferably multiple, EC sinks.

Nothing else will make any difference what so ever. An EC cap increase, Exchange price increase etc, will serve only as a short, and by short I mean less than 6 months, "stabilization" of prices before said prices start to rise again.

As economics has demonstrated throughout history, the ONLY way to lower prices universally and "permanently" is to increase supply of said in demand item. This will force competition and price slashing among those who hold said item.

Nothing else will matter. Increase the EC cap and Exchange listing cap and within a few months, the prices will be over cap again and people will be clamoring for another raise.
    Where does one acquire boff candidates of colored rarity, outside early mission rewards? #AskingForAFriend

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    On the exchange, by doing DOFF missions that reward them (colonization chains from the nebulas), in the zen store.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    On the exchange, by doing DOFF missions that reward them (colonization chains from the nebulas), in the zen store.
    Aaaaahhh, thank you very much :) I'd only seen them on the exchange, but didn't know where else in-game they were available :) An Orion slaving ship may now be setting course for nebulas ;)

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Okay, the colonization chains reward colored DOFFs, but there are DOFF missions which have you "evaluate <science/engineer/tactical> officer. Those are BOFFs and can be found on the recruitment DOFF tab. And like I said, the Zen store sells Caitian and Aenar BOFFs.

Sorry for misleading about the colonizations, had a bit of a senior moment.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    vinny#6447 vinny Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    If, i had the Universe T6 it would now go for 2 bil plus 125 Keys thanks for the EC increase ;)
  • Options
    Okay, the colonization chains reward colored DOFFs, but there are DOFF missions which have you "evaluate <science/engineer/tactical> officer. Those are BOFFs and can be found on the recruitment DOFF tab. And like I said, the Zen store sells Caitian and Aenar BOFFs.

Sorry for misleading about the colonizations, had a bit of a senior moment.

Ahh... I've bought a few Aenar boffs from the C Store, but equally, I've never thought to look for one on the exchange :D I was meaning the regular boffs, Trills, Vulcans, Klingons etc, who were of the higher rarenesses. I received a Klingon boff my very first day, but he was only regular white quality (still a damned fine boff though, and a real embodiment of Picard's advice to never underestimate a Klingon) I've received a rare quality boff after completing a mission (I think it was the mission in the Devidian arc where you board the Cardassian vessel, but several alts later, they all start to blur into one) so I was curious how the very rare quality (but regular races) boffs were available :)

No worries, I've been getting more than a few of those myself lately ;)