test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will New Exchange CAP increase serve to increase price gouging?

Comments

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I really like badmoon's moderation graphics a lot.

Put a smile on my face when i first saw one and his repertoire is happily expanding!

Perhaps I'm in the minority.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The outcome is that for whatever reason- they've built great wealth and have greatly over-priced some top end items. The answer is be aware of the actual worth of such things, and not buy them when people are selling them for too much. Make their reasons irrelevant to you.
    Feel free to spend your own time and money acquiring these top end items and sell them for what you think is the "actual worth of such things," if you think other people's prices are too high.

No thanks. The guys selling these things for insane prices would just snap them up.

^^ Precisely this! And why all the mumbo jumbo about 'supply & demand' is too simplistic, as the STO market is too easily cornered. Like I asked Iconians, the other day, y'all truly believe something like the Delta Prime Trait is worth over 300 mil!? Or Kemocite-laced Weaponry for hundreds of millions when it first came out?! Or other Traits. The Tycoons are swooping those up, drivig up the prices to insane heights, meanwhile feeding you BS lines about Inflation. At least bubblegirl2015 has the decency to to admit she's trying to take advantage of people.
    Arbitrage happens when people sell below market price. Someone recognizes that an item priced below market price, buys it and resells it at a price to market price for a profit.

Something like the Delta Prime trait is worth over 300m, if enough people are willing to pay over 300m for it that supply does not exceed demand at that price point.

You're missing her point.

Given the vast heights of wealth some players attain in this game and the high degree of rarity of some items- it's very easy for a small number of people to buy up the supply and then reach a price fix agreement. This works because many people don't determine the actual cost of the item in question and thus don't know any better and then pay it. Not a lot perhaps, but enough.

How much is this happening in STO? I don't have access to the database, if I did it would be easy to determine.

To be safe, for high ticket items- determine the actual cost. Don't buy over-priced items.
  • Options
    I can report now that prices of the new promo ship have dropped from 1b+ before the exchange was fixed to a mere 890m now that there is transparency and price competition.

Let's be more specific, The Amarie has dropped to that price level. Likely because few people want it, I haven't seen one flying around yet.

Connies are not to be seen. Enterprise-J is still at 1.2 billion. Annorax is 1.349 Billion. All very significantly above cost.

• Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »

Put a smile on my face when i first saw one and his repertoire is happily expanding!

You're in the only-ority.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options

How creative of you...perhaps you should create a giant photoshop graphic just to annoy me.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I can report now that prices of the new promo ship have dropped from 1b+ before the exchange was fixed to a mere 890m now that there is transparency and price competition.

Let's be more specific, The Amarie has dropped to that price level. Likely because few people want it, I haven't seen one flying around yet.

Connies are not to be seen. Enterprise-J is still at 1.2 billion. Annorax is 1.349 Billion. All very significantly above cost.

True, but once they release the infiniti R&D, we will get the prices down from competition... and they will release eventually
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User

How creative of you...perhaps you should create a giant photoshop graphic just to annoy me.

Yeah, we're done here. You're obviously out to troll. Good night, and thank you for playing.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    gaevsman wrote: »

True, but once they release the infiniti R&D, we will get the prices down from competition... and they will release eventually

That's the way it should work.

Enough Infinity R&D box runs and something will have to break. The primary question is how many runs will be required. And how far back a desired Promo ship has to be in order to reach a reasonable price.

And if the inflation caused by the new cash supply from the changes overtakes it before then.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I feel it will only affect high end items. And I don't care about those.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options

Yeah, we're done here. You're obviously out to troll. Good night, and thank you for playing.

Another well thought out post. I'm glad you informed me of the end of this conversation when you were the one that started said conversation.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options

Another well thought out post. I'm glad you informed me of the end of this conversation when you were the one that started said conversation.

For what it's worth, I wish the graphics were about half the height they are. But I do like them in general. Mods should have bell and whistles.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    The last time I checked there weren't any ships from R&D Promotions in the Infinity box. There's the Phoenix box, which has the T5 Bug and the Voth Bulwark, but the last time either of those were generally available was 2014.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't see the likes of the Annorax being added to the Phoenix box any time soon.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

That's my take on it too. People are simply realizing the Amarie really isn't a stellar ship. It looks pretty, though.

Anyway, literally 1 day isn't anywhere near a sufficient time to make any sensible comments about what prices will do. We'll see in a week or so, or maybe a month.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nekofury86nekofury86 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    None of the above, you may think what I'm about to say is trolling, but it's not. Decrease EC exchange cap to 500m, and completely remove player trading. I have my own reasons, and as a Vulcan, it is undoubtedly the most logical move by a light year. You wont like it I know, but it's so very true.
  • Options
    lopequil wrote: »
    The last time I checked there weren't any ships from R&D Promotions in the Infinity box.

There's an Infinity R&D Promotion box. I forget... I think it's only been ran once.

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    > @drakethewhite said:
    > lopequil wrote: »
    >
    > gaevsman wrote: »
    >
    > True, but once they release the infiniti R&D, we will get the prices down from competition... and they will release eventually
    >
    >
    >
    > The last time I checked there weren't any ships from R&D Promotions in the Infinity box.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There's an Infinity R&D Promotion box. I forget... I think it's only been ran once.

Yeah, but it will run again, they had a lot of sales from that one!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The outcome is that for whatever reason- they've built great wealth and have greatly over-priced some top end items. The answer is be aware of the actual worth of such things, and not buy them when people are selling them for too much. Make their reasons irrelevant to you.
    Feel free to spend your own time and money acquiring these top end items and sell them for what you think is the "actual worth of such things," if you think other people's prices are too high.

No thanks. The guys selling these things for insane prices would just snap them up.

^^ Precisely this! And why all the mumbo jumbo about 'supply & demand' is too simplistic, as the STO market is too easily cornered. Like I asked Iconians, the other day, y'all truly believe something like the Delta Prime Trait is worth over 300 mil!? Or Kemocite-laced Weaponry for hundreds of millions when it first came out?! Or other Traits. The Tycoons are swooping those up, drivig up the prices to insane heights, meanwhile feeding you BS lines about Inflation. At least bubblegirl2015 has the decency to to admit she's trying to take advantage of people.
    Arbitrage happens when people sell below market price. Someone recognizes that an item priced below market price, buys it and resells it at a price to market price for a profit.

Something like the Delta Prime trait is worth over 300m, if enough people are willing to pay over 300m for it that supply does not exceed demand at that price point.

Given the vast heights of wealth some players attain in this game and the high degree of rarity of some items- it's very easy for a small number of people to buy up the supply and then reach a price fix agreement. This works because many people don't determine the actual cost of the item in question and thus don't know any better and then pay it. Not a lot perhaps, but enough.

Players who don't think before buying are unlikely to have billions to pay for an item, though, unless they went to town with daddy's credit card and sold a lot of keys. Suckers are not a reliable customer base.

Buying up a large amount of goods at or even above market price with the intention of selling them vastly overpriced before the market recovers, is not a smart move. Odds are demand at such high price point will be low and others will quickly undercut them. People inevitably have stuff banked just waiting for a price increase. The would-be price fixer will either have to keep buying to keep the price up (and become the sucker buying overpriced himself) or the price will tend back toward market equilibrium (leaving him with an inventory to be sold at little if any profit, maybe even a loss).
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

That's because the Amarie is the one that's currently dropping from the event.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I was specific though?

What are ent-J and annorax/infi promo packs going for anyway?

Edit:

Ent-J ones are 19m, so 1900m - 170m - 310m = 1.4b cost to produce them, I think you made a math error when figuring out the ent-J cost.

Annorax ones are at least as expensive, so 1.34b is under cost for that one too.

The Promo packs are over cost. People who buy at that price are fools and should await the next Infinity Pack. Pointing to one over priced hoarded item to justified another over priced hoarded item is... less than being forth coming.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    J R&D packs are currently around 19m

annorax doff packs are currently around 40M​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    nekofury86 wrote: »
    None of the above, you may think what I'm about to say is trolling, but it's not. Decrease EC exchange cap to 500m, and completely remove player trading. I have my own reasons, and as a Vulcan, it is undoubtedly the most logical move by a light year. You wont like it I know, but it's so very true.
    Yup, that does make sense. Removing player trade, that kinda cuts both ways. On the one hand, people should be able to swap stuffz with their friends and other players, rather than simply giving it to them via the mailing system. But on the other hand, that's what allows for the off-exchange trades. So. I don't know. But the exchange cap, yes, I can definitely see what you're hoping it would do (drive down prices) as with each item having its 'recommended retail price' in ec value, with a 500M limit, while a gouger theoretically could list a hypospray for the same price as a Vengeance, market forces would probably play more heavily, with people less willing to pay those unreasonable prices. Good idea \\//_

"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options

I was specific though?

Edit:

Ent-J ones are 19m, so 1900m - 170m - 310m = 1.4b cost to produce them, I think you made a math error when figuring out the ent-J cost.

Annorax ones are at least as expensive, so 1.34b is under cost for that one too.

The Promo packs are over cost. People who buy at that price are fools and should await the next Infinity Pack. Pointing to one over priced hoarded item to justified another over priced hoarded item is... less than being forth coming.

How do you mean?

It was stated clearly.
  • Options

I was specific though?

Edit:

How do you mean?

It was stated clearly.

I wish you the best of luck on your quest for space riches, drake the white.

Not my quest.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You forget these guys are still smarting from the introduction of Infinity Lockboxes that drove ship prices and traits, etc. down to the waterline.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns