test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Event is broken. Modification phase only adding to engine bonus!!

For the vast majority of this game and apparently devs, who don't notice this.

The event, when you pick up parts, as opposed to junk, adds a tally to a bonus under your character icon showing how many parts of each type you have collected. On top of the EHS and color in the mission tab that shows quality and which parts you have gotten, this set of bonuses tally the items you get and seemingly dictate your ultimate score.

Now what happens is this:

1. Pick up part(not junk) get a a tally towards corresponding part during collection phase. This bonus will increase in number as you get parts. It's a stacking tally under your character name and picture/icon on your hud(the one where you can right click to change outfit.).
2. And the end of the first phase(collection) you will likely have a handfull(no more than 10) stabilizer or hull and more than 10 engine.(BTW these seem to not always give the same tally as the type of part you collected.
3. At the next phase where you do the puzzle. Any junk is converted by the puzzle and increases the tally. And as most people know gives a last chance to get quality increase on your EHS portion.

The problem. In the secondphase of modification you only get increase in the engine tally no matter the part. So, you literally cannot get your rocket to max height. You need stabilizer and hull to go higher. And you cannot get more than 10/10 in those tallies in the given time.

This entire even is broken and has never worked properly. I would love to know what exactly were were supposed to get by actually maxing out the rocket altitude by getting a higher overall score of engine/hull/stabilizer if it was giving out to more than engine in the modification phase. and is there code that is it supposed to be giving out some better prize currently if we did get a greater height? Do the devs not realize this is not working or did they just scrap finishing this very simple puzzle and sabotage the results to finish it quicker. Does anyone at the company realize this is not working or finished completely. Why would we get half finished events like this. This one is insanely simple also...

I'll repeat:

The modification phase is only stacking the engine bonus so we get 40engine,10,hull,10stabilizer max! This is why we do not see more than 290 score when it clearly can go higher. This event is broken or unfinished! We should be able to get higher scores if it added to hull and stabilizer during the second phase parts modification as it says it should in the event description.

How the heck has nobody but me noticed this either. This is pathetic! It is so irritating when nobody listens to you and looks at you like your crazy when they are all completely lazy and can't notice simple things!!!! You can't even get a simple conversation going and nobody cares about being informed!

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    aftulus wrote: »
    How the heck has nobody but me noticed this either. This is pathetic! It is so irritating when nobody listens to you and looks at you like your crazy when they are all completely lazy and can't notice simple things!!!! You can't even get a simple conversation going and nobody cares about being informed!
    If "nobody listens to you and looks at you like your crazy," this here is why.
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Then don't post. You are not being productive to anything. I have every right to be angry.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Not sure what the max height is, nor do I care. In the end the rocket launches and everyone get the hologram. The fix to the max height issue is to simply "shorten" the fill bar so at 260 or whatever it appears as full.

The only part of the event take is "broken" is the fact that players can AFK the event and still get the hologram. The fix is pretty easy, at the player's assigned workbench, there is no rocket already waiting. The player needs to dig through scrap piles to get the parts to build the rocket.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    The event finishes tomorrow and won't be seen again until next year, if ever; there's not much point in pointing out an issue at this point, even if it were to actually make a difference to the mission rewards.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Consider that this may be "as intended." It doesn't matter. They were just trying to do something so they could say they did.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    The numbers for the modification do in fact only add stacks to the engine buff, and even during the gathering phase, any other part that you gather automatically adds one to the engine stack as well. Those icons are only there to show that you have each part. There's no evidence that a higher number on any of the parts has any effect on the maximum height that you achieve.
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Not sure what the max height is, nor do I care. In the end the rocket launches and everyone get the hologram. The fix to the max height issue is to simply "shorten" the fill bar so at 260 or whatever it appears as full.

The only part of the event take is "broken" is the fact that players can AFK the event and still get the hologram. The fix is pretty easy, at the player's assigned workbench, there is no rocket already waiting. The player needs to dig through scrap piles to get the parts to build the rocket.

Since it's a non-combat event, I'd say that's not even broken, especially given the prevalence of random events in every stage of the process. Who cares if someone AFKs the whole blasted thing? It has no negative effects on any of the players who do everything the "right" way, and, in fact, has the positive effect of less competition for piles, thus less waiting or running around to gather more parts for those who are doing so.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    Here's how it works:

* The height measurement is tracking an entity's value in meters above ground.
    * That entity is a flying entity, with its path information set as follows:
    * It has a base speed, which is increased by the value of the Engines of its associated player.
    * It lasts for a certain amount of time, which is increased by the value of the Hull of its associated player.
    * It moves up at an angle of approach that is modified by the Stabilizers value of its associated player.
    * There is also a chance for it to detonate on the launch pad. Sometimes launches go awry.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    jheinig wrote: »
    Here's how it works:

* It has a base speed, which is increased by the value of the Engines of its associated player.
    * It lasts for a certain amount of time, which is increased by the value of the Hull of its associated player.
    * It moves up at an angle of approach that is modified by the Stabilizers value of its associated player.
    * There is also a chance for it to detonate on the launch pad. Sometimes launches go awry.

So, to answer the OP's question, does the number of buffs that display for each of the components on your character's buff bar have any effect on the height at all? Like, does a Hull parts icon with 6 stack number on it give you a better hull value than one with 2 stack number?
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    The only way the modifier is affected is by the quality of the parts themselves (which you can see on the tracker on the right side). The icons are not relevant.
  • Options
    englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Here's how it works:

so what your saying is put everything into Hull to make it fly longer :wink: although i have done the whole collect just Hull parts and collect just Engine parts, not tried just Stabilisers but i have not seen a difference in any of the above other than just not doing the mini game part where the rocket really does not last to long :smile:
    the OP is correct in that when you get to the minigame part it really does drop everything into the engine buff only, was this by design?
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    anodynes wrote: »
    So, to answer the OP's question, does the number of buffs that display for each of the components on your character's buff bar have any effect on the height at all? Like, does a Hull parts icon with 6 stack number on it give you a better hull value than one with 2 stack number?

Presumably yes. The idea, I think, is to balance your parts search. For example: don't just scrounge engine components, because with a shorter duration and low angle it might be less competitive. That said, you still want a lot of parts, so if you spend too much time trying to even things out someone else might beat you by sheer numbers.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    englishnod wrote: »
    so what your saying is put everything into Hull to make it fly longer :wink: although i have done the whole collect just Hull parts and collect just Engine parts, not tried just Stabilisers but i have not seen a difference in any of the above other than just not doing the mini game part where the rocket really does not last to long :smile:
    the OP is correct in that when you get to the minigame part it really does drop everything into the engine buff only, was this by design?

This is incorrect. You'll note that refining a better part updates the quality of parts on your tracker on the side of the screen. The icon values are simply tracking how many parts you've gotten - it's possible that it's a mislabeled icon, but that's all.

Getting better stabilizers means your rocket flies up at a better angle and getting better engines means it lasts longer.

Basically, the internal calculations work exactly as they are explained in the briefing.
  • Options

Presumably yes. The idea, I think, is to balance your parts search. For example: don't just scrounge engine components, because with a shorter duration and low angle it might be less competitive. That said, you still want a lot of parts, so if you spend too much time trying to even things out someone else might beat you by sheer numbers.

see i am not seeing that in my testing of just collecting Hull parts or just Engine parts i let the minigame make up the the colours to be all purple quality but if those stacks matter it seems the engines one is all you need as it will be the highest regardless with the mini game sticking all the stacks on engines only
  • Options
    englishnod wrote: »

This is incorrect. You'll note that refining a better part updates the quality of parts on your tracker on the side of the screen. The icon values are simply tracking how many parts you've gotten - it's possible that it's a mislabeled icon, but that's all.

Getting better stabilizers means your rocket flies up at a better angle and getting better engines means it lasts longer.

Basically, the internal calculations work exactly as they are explained in the briefing.

I see, so all purple = best, numbers mean nothing?
    so would i be correct in thinking that if all 5 players had full purple parts then its down to RNG to the distance?
  • Options
    That's correct. The amount of randomness in such a case should be minimal (unless you are unlucky enough for your rocket to explode on the pad.)
  • Options
    That's correct. The amount of randomness in such a case should be minimal (unless you are unlucky enough for your rocket to explode on the pad.)

Good to know,
    Good job on the map i like it :smile:

I shall now strive to get an all purple rocket to explode on the pad , should be an achievement for that hint hint next year!
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User

People keep whining about it, but I love this element of randomness. If you listen to the complaints, you'd think AFKers are regularly getting the farthest distance...I've done a lot of runs and that just doesn't happen unless there's a disaster at launch.

(Does one rocket exploding potentially cause a chain reaction? I've noticed that when one blows, the others nearby usually do too. Guessing that's just a coincidence from your other detailed post, though.)
  • Options

Explode on the pad with all purple parts is exceedingly rare, too. I did the queue 68 times, nearly all with solid purple parts, and the thing exploded there all of twice. Based on that somewhat limited sample, that's a roughly 3% chance.
  • Options

Explode on the pad with all purple parts is exceedingly rare, too. I did the queue 68 times, nearly all with solid purple parts, and the thing exploded there all of twice. Based on that somewhat limited sample, that's a roughly 3% chance.

Good to know it can happen with all purples for sure, now to see if it happens to me lol
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    If the conditions are so straightforward, it's odd how often I've seen a blue stabilizer outscore an all purple rocket. Which takes absolutely none of the fun out of it; it just makes me curious about the hidden mechanics.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    If the conditions are so straightforward, it's odd how often I've seen a blue stabilizer outscore an all purple rocket. Which takes absolutely none of the fun out of it; it just makes me curious about the hidden mechanics.

yep i have seen it with a blue engine and purple hull and stabilisers but seeing as it is down to RNG there is a chance that the one blue part would be up near the top of its Random Distance and an all purple set up would be at the bottom of its Random Distance i suppose, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    This is rocket science. We need to be specific! ><

You can't just go into these sorts of subject matters without someone asking the burning questions.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    edited April 2017

I think it depends on what else they've got going on with hulls and engines. In cases like that it might be worth clicking on the player to see their stacks.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Probably why there is no true winner. They couldn't fix it, so everyone wins!
  • Options
    valarauko43valarauko43 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I think there may simply be a display bug. During my run a few minutes ago I noticed during the collection phase that I had Rocket Engines 14, Rocket Hull 5, Rocket Stabilizers 3. I started colecting hull and stabilizers at that point and watched the RE number increase to 16. During the adjustment phase the RE number increased to 25 as the other parts were showing an increase in quality. I ended with RE 25, RH 5, RS 3. Made it to 268.
  • Options
    valarauko43valarauko43 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I just did another run and noticed that the engines number is the only thing increasing during the modification phase. The information about the actual quality increases appears to be correct as in tracker says I just received an increase in hull quality fro blue to purple. The notification above my chat box tells me I just received an excellent hull part. The little number near my name says I now have moer engine parts. Not saying that anything is broken. I am having no trouble with my fun. And thanks for the event BTW.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    You dont need your rocket to win the rocket contest to get the reward so what difference does it make at all?

Also, please stop talking in memes like 'broken"

^This.

You don't need to do anything but AFK the entire event, because you still get all the rewards. It would be so much easier if Cryptic just gave all the goodies to your character at log in, seeing as they have neither the ability or desire to police this event.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    You know, somehow I won twice out of four trials by just collecting one engine, one hull, and one stabilizer. I cranked them up during the improvement phase as best I could, and then launched. I didn't even see that there were numerical values attached (where would I have looked, and why would I have assumed that a trivial bit of fun like this would involve chasing numbers?) but I got the hologram anyway.

Unless the OP didn't get the hologram and other stuff, then I don't understand the basis of the complaint--unless the complaint is just for the sake of complaining, which I suspect it is.
    boldly-watched.png