test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Event is broken. Modification phase only adding to engine bonus!!

2»

Comments

• englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    You know, somehow I won twice out of four trials by just collecting one engine, one hull, and one stabilizer. I cranked them up during the improvement phase as best I could, and then launched. I didn't even see that there were numerical values attached (where would I have looked, and why would I have assumed that a trivial bit of fun like this would involve chasing numbers?) but I got the hologram anyway.

Unless the OP didn't get the hologram and other stuff, then I don't understand the basis of the complaint--unless the complaint is just for the sake of complaining, which I suspect it is.

The Basis of the complaint was the OP reading to much into the Buffs that appear under his name during the event on the map, it has been confirmed further up in this thread that those bear no relevance to the outcome the only thing that matters is what is on the right of the screen, the green blue purple parts is all.
    I am also guilty of reading to much into them stats and trying to figure out if they bare any effect on the outcome until this thread was posted.
    I can categorically say they do not as i tested as much after the Dev replied saying the only thing that matters is the colour of the parts, i ran around the map and collected all purple parts and stopped and done nothing in the waveform mini game and won.

You are completely right it is a bit of fun with a prize for having a bit of fun, none the less i have enjoyed playing this regardless.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    englishnod wrote: »
    You know, somehow I won twice out of four trials by just collecting one engine, one hull, and one stabilizer. I cranked them up during the improvement phase as best I could, and then launched. I didn't even see that there were numerical values attached (where would I have looked, and why would I have assumed that a trivial bit of fun like this would involve chasing numbers?) but I got the hologram anyway.

Unless the OP didn't get the hologram and other stuff, then I don't understand the basis of the complaint--unless the complaint is just for the sake of complaining, which I suspect it is.

The Basis of the complaint was the OP reading to much into the Buffs that appear under his name during the event on the map, it has been confirmed further up in this thread that those bear no relevance to the outcome the only thing that matters is what is on the right of the screen, the green blue purple parts is all.
    I am also guilty of reading to much into them stats and trying to figure out if they bare any effect on the outcome until this thread was posted.
    I can categorically say they do not as i tested as much after the Dev replied saying the only thing that matters is the colour of the parts, i ran around the map and collected all purple parts and stopped and done nothing in the waveform mini game and won.

You are completely right it is a bit of fun with a prize for having a bit of fun, none the less i have enjoyed playing this regardless.

As it turns out, i suspect the parts' quality to have little to no impact at all on the final outcome. I've notably been in an event where most of us had a full purple set of parts, yet all five rockets ended up exploding at about ten meters high after taking off... Sure was a fail of epic proportions, and we all had a good laugh XD
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

As it turns out, i suspect the parts' quality to have little to no impact at all on the final outcome. I've notably been in an event where most of us had a full purple set of parts, yet all five rockets ended up exploding at about ten meters high after taking off... Sure was a fail of epic proportions, and we all had a good laugh XD

I am starting to feel left out here, I am probably one of a handfull of people if not the only one who wants to see a full purple rocket explode on the launch pad yet to see this and everyone else has seen it happen :disappointed: i could well imagine how amusing that is when all rockets fail together.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    If the conditions are so straightforward, it's odd how often I've seen a blue stabilizer outscore an all purple rocket. Which takes absolutely none of the fun out of it; it just makes me curious about the hidden mechanics.

Exactly, this happened to me yesterday, I finally got all purple parts but blue had a blue stabilizer and won by 18 meters. I was face palming.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

blitzy4 wrote: »
    If the conditions are so straightforward, it's odd how often I've seen a blue stabilizer outscore an all purple rocket. Which takes absolutely none of the fun out of it; it just makes me curious about the hidden mechanics.

Exactly, this happened to me yesterday, I finally got all purple parts but blue had a blue stabilizer and won by 18 meters. I was face palming.

well as i understand it from what the Dev has posted how the system works and it also having an element of random, my conclusion is that if you had all green parts it will have a set range of distance from A to B based on a calculation of the coloured parts you have and then random takes over in that range that was calculated, the same apply's for blue and purple whole sets.

so a purple purple blue set would have a chance of going to the maximum of its calculation and the all purple set could be at the bottom of its calculation set, letting the purple purple blue beat the all purple if the two combinations overlap.
    This is all my own assumption of how the system works and how i have interpreted the Devs explanation of the system.
    Of course i could be completely wrong lol
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    arabatur wrote: »
    You dont need your rocket to win the rocket contest to get the reward so what difference does it make at all?

Also, please stop talking in memes like 'broken"

^This.

You don't need to do anything but AFK the entire event, because you still get all the rewards. It would be so much easier if Cryptic just gave all the goodies to your character at log in, seeing as they have neither the ability or desire to police this event.
    I don't get some people's desire to "police" other people's fun.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    The event was fun, I dont care about AFK players, I didnt AFK once but after days of doing it on every alt I came close :-) I say leave as is.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I haven't had a problem getting all three of my parts to increase quality the whole week.

Oh, and I don't care about AFK players either. If they want to stand there and do nothing that's fine. It doesn't affect my outcome.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    jheinig wrote: »
    That's correct. The amount of randomness in such a case should be minimal (unless you are unlucky enough for your rocket to explode on the pad.)

Good to know,
    Good job on the map i like it :smile:

I shall now strive to get an all purple rocket to explode on the pad , should be an achievement for that hint hint next year!

I've had an all purple rocket to explode on me several times LOL
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    echatty wrote: »
    I haven't had a problem getting all three of my parts to increase quality the whole week.

Oh, and I don't care about AFK players either. If they want to stand there and do nothing that's fine. It doesn't affect my outcome.

i could not agree more with you, this has been fun and is something different from the usual pew pew events, i hope some of these new planned competitive pve queues will have set up like this.
    edited April 2017
    Thank you. I've not AFK'd the event the whole week and have had a blast with all my characters.

Thankfully, just now, when I got a SNR and then had to shut down the window (see my new thread) When I got back to it, it still gave me rewards. So I am happy I didn't have to redo it.

The SNR happened during collection phase too.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Okay, when I did this just now I noticed that only my engine score increased during adjustment. Big deal. My rocket and the Blue rocket were very close (I 'lost' by 1 point)

The only 'real' bug I've encountered is that sometimes the event doesn't recognize that you found a part. I found an excellent engine part and it didn't tell me I found it. Whenever this happens, I've fixed it by running to another pile and 'finding' another engine (or whatever part I was hunting) and it then registers. If I find an inferior part, it doesn't matter, it will register the superior part found. Even if the part you find is superior to the part that didn't register. Therefore it isn't an event-breaking bug.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Collection phase is rng based

Modification stage is rng based

Launch phase is rng based

There's nothing in it that will make people actually care about how the numbers relate to anything since a full purple rocket can easily get beaten by a green one with no hull because of the rng.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    There's nothing in it that will make people actually care about how the numbers relate to anything since a full purple rocket can easily get beaten by a green one with no hull because of the rng.

A rocket of lesser quality beating one of higher happens regularily - but not as often and not as extreme as people seem to think. Start explosions aside, I am quite certain that an all purple will always beat an all green. (Although there seems indeed to be a bug to blue Stabilizers compared to an all purple)
    You dont need your rocket to win the rocket contest to get the reward so what difference does it make at all?

I wonder why it is so surprising to many that some people actually care about completing a mission as stated, and that in a possibly in-game "best" way, instead of just measuring the goodies they get.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    aftulus wrote: »
    How the heck has nobody but me noticed this either. This is pathetic! It is so irritating when nobody listens to you and looks at you like your crazy when they are all completely lazy and can't notice simple things!!!! You can't even get a simple conversation going and nobody cares about being informed!
    Um because not everyone is an anal-retentive min/maxer who has to figure out how to win an event that just supposed to be a fun little diversion with a small reward for time spent running around an outdoor zone.

Hell, they probably DESIGNED it the way they did so you could decide to run around the zone (if your so inclined) to see everything they put in the zone (which you really can't/don't see if you spend all the time scrounging for parts.)

Not everything in the game is designed as something you can measure your epeen against. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    It wasn't fun. It was boring. They should have put a little more work to give people something to do besides collect a few parts. There needs to actually be something to these events.

You could have run around the course regardless. they could have still made somethig out of it so those who wanted to try could try to do well in it. That is what is missing. One day people like you will have to deal with the reality of this type of thing and realize people putting the work into things is the only reason you have anything.

So drop your attitude. Your idiotic insults are against thing you don't even understand. And against the very reason you have game to play and where games came from. And where computers came from and your house and car and all the things you need day to day to live. If you don't know how to make those things you have no business giving lip to anyone let alone people who do.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    OP...you've had the bad attitude from the start. Others are simply responding to that tone, exclamation points and all.

How the heck has nobody but me noticed this either. This is pathetic! It is so irritating when nobody listens to you and looks at you like your crazy when they are all completely lazy and can't notice simple things!!!! You can't even get a simple conversation going and nobody cares about being informed!
  • syriliansyrilian Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    As far as I could tell those numbers dictate how many adjustments could be made. They certainly didn't seem to effect the height in any way for me.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    The only issue I had with the event is this...

For me, it was a fun diversion from the normal gaming session. If the actual color quality of the Hull, Engine, & Stabilizer really didn't affect the overall performance of the rocket (remember, it can still explode at any time, even on the launch pad), then why even display the rarities?

Maybe it had too much RNG at the launchpad?

Then again, that is part of the allure of the event. You simply did not know what was going to happen... but it certainly didn't affect the reward.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    It never worked well for me. Out of twenty runs I only got one first place and the only reason for that was everyone else was afk. The rest of the time all of my purple rockets would preform miserably. Par for the course was a height of 19 and afkers flying higher than mine with multiple spider attacks and workbench fires in the same instances. Heck in one instance my Fed Engineer built two rockets. Apparently a player did not beam into a workbench and that workbench was assigned to me too. The fake rocket was built all purple the same as mine. My primary rocket flew 168 and the fake rocket went 19. These are just some of my weird observations in this event. I did have fun and did not afk at any time but the rng gods were really rotten to me. There might be things wrong with this event but at least Cryptic tried.
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    The info going in made it sound like you were supposed to put work into making the rocket and how well it did... It makes it sound alot like what you do matters. Hence it would seem logical to assume so and try. I don't know why they didn't do that. It's not much harder to design. This very subject coming up brings up a way to even do it. It would make no difference but give some people the chance to do well and see how high they can get their rocket making it a little more fun. And people could even sit there and do nothing like now. In fact they could do so even more purposely to make it blow up(or try to make your rocket land on things.). All it would do is give people more to do with pretty minimal work. I had no inkling anything was RNG based based on the text. It completely gave me the notion every part of this was based on player effort and the point was to figure out how to do the best you could...
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    One buzzkill in every event. BFD OP really you get your reward no matter how high or long it flies. But no it doesn't matter to you or people like you that just pee and moan and suck the fun out of things.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    I, for one, enjoyed the event. I only had a chance to play it twice, but it was fun. I don't care if I win or lose. It was an amusing mini-game on a nice map that I could run around with my beagle. I hope to see it come up again next year (preferably with a chance to complete this Event Project then).

On a side note, the local television station here used play 'Magic Carpet Ride' on ads for TNG back when the show was still putting out new episodes. That made its inclusion in the film that much more funny.
    I enjoyed the event as well. Didn't AFK any of it, though once everyone else did. Didn't bother me a bit that my rocket was the only one that didn't explode.

The OP is being a bit oversensitive or something. It was just a fun diversion and the OP is taking it way too seriously.

It was fun and a good reason not to play any story missions for a week.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll fix it for next ye... yeah, too lazy to even finish that lie. :D
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.