test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE MAINTENANCE AND RELEASE NOTES - MARCH 15, 2017

Comments

• Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Well than if some player feel that deflector overload is just not up to spec compared to apa, actually kind feel this would be fine as a boff ability at lt com myself, than how would you think they should alter it to make it more comparable to apa?
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    Well a +50% to all science related powers would be a good way to do it, given there's nothing really wrong with the principle so much as the execution. Realistically though it still needs to be coupled with an adjustment to APA to make it a conventional damage boost only rather than an all damage boost.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @fftt

I have more Sci characters than any other career, none fly Sci ships, and I almost never use Hazard Emitters and flat out don't use Polarize Hull at all.

And I have to ask, how much would you be using Deflector Overload on your non-sci ships? Would it be more useful than SubNuc? And if it's not clear - I'm not against sci captains losing SubNuc, it's just that I think the Deflector Overload replacement is useful *almost* exclusively to science ships. Yes, yes, yes there are exceptions with shield healing boosts and what not, but I'm not the first to feel that DO "pigeon holes" science captains to science ships. Maybe there's something to it?

• Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    Well than if some player feel that deflector overload is just not up to spec compared to apa, actually kind feel this would be fine as a boff ability at lt com myself, than how would you think they should alter it to make it more comparable to apa?
    It should not matter what class you play or what ship you fly.

Every class should have a button that lets you be amazing for 15-20 seconds that works in anyship.

Tacs get APA and that is awesome! Now, Engineers get a boost to Max/Current power and they can reduce weapon drain. That isn't quite as good as APA, but it is close. If they tweak it, it could be a solid contender.

Deflector Overload should be the awesome button for Science characters. It needs to affect more than blue powers. It should affect several types of red and yellow powers too.
  • Options
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Well a +50% to all science related powers would be a good way to do it, given there's nothing really wrong with the principle so much as the execution. Realistically though it still needs to be coupled with an adjustment to APA to make it a conventional damage boost only rather than an all damage boost.

I can agree with some of that, but in the end I doubt we would see them completely remove the damage boost to exotic damage from apa. Even with a 50% boost to science related powers it would be too narrow as I see it, since apa an even eps are pretty well blanket buffs, and so their value is not tied to a ship's boff layouts (in this way a heavy science boff layout gains much more than a lighter science layout).
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Every ship has weapons - probably the biggest game progresser there is - you can't go wrong with APA. DO however... Well I've already listed my reason why I think you *can* go wrong with it. I've actually thought about it being a BOff ability myself, kind'a like the science version of APO, but Cryptic must be going somewhere with the removal of SubNuc as a captain ability and have their reasons.

EDIT: Their even
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    it will affect them once they start making more red and yellow (i sound like i'm talking about freaking pokemon games here..). powers that scale off DrainX/CtrlX/EPG/etc.

and it's not like they aren't constantly releasing new ones every other month​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    redvenge wrote: »
    It should not matter what class you play or what ship you fly.

Every class should have a button that lets you be amazing for 15-20 seconds that works in anyship.

Tacs get APA and that is awesome! Now, Engineers get a boost to Max/Current power and they can reduce weapon drain. That isn't quite as good as APA, but it is close. If they tweak it, it could be a solid contender.

Deflector Overload should be the awesome button for Science characters. It needs to affect more than blue powers. It should affect several types of red and yellow powers too.

As I have said with eps it would be nice if it boosted the bonus gained from your sub-systems power level for the duration, or a shorter duration if that is too much,and I have other ideas on how eps could be changes to make it contend with apa on more equal grounds yet that is nto for here right now.

I agree as I said above apa, and even eps are blanket buffs, as such it would make sense to make overload deflector a more blanket buffing ability. Right now it does affect a few engineering abilities (like aceton beam, vent plasma, as well as the heals), but tactical I see as the issue since it buffs it seems quite a small number of them.
  • Options
    it will affect them once they start making more red and yellow (i sound like i'm talking about freaking pokemon games here..). powers that scale off DrainX/CtrlX/EPG/etc.

and it's not like they aren't constantly releasing new ones every other month​​
    Which red powers have they released in the last year that work off of any science skill? They just changed Target Subsystems to work, but I think that is the only one. For yellow powers we have Aceton Beam and Eject Warp Plasma. When did they release those?

New specializations won't help, unless I really am using the wrong ship.

Are you saying "don't worry! all your concerns will be answered in the next lockbox!"? That's not really very reassuring.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

The problem is Deflector Overload got the short end of the stick because he arbitrarily decided drain and control wouldn't get the same treatment as part gens and shield heals. Seems he decided to slap down the two ones I posted minmax forums posts, so I decided to post a part gens one today to demonstrate the ridiculous amount of part gens % damage boosts available on top of skill maxing.

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Drain_Expertise

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Control_Expertise

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Shield_Restoration (not complete, does not list Temporal shield heals).

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Exotic_Particle_Generator (note that it effects drain infection so you character gets extra benefit from overcharge deflectors on drain powers if you have drain infection trained. )

So yeah, not a lot of tac powers except subsystem targeting, but otherwise a good variety, especially with science, temporal, and enigeering powers, but also with a variety of consoles.
  • Options
    I also add photonic fleet has been given a buff and that does benefit from any tac power that either boost team damage or reduces the targets damage resistance or reduces the damage the target deals.
  • Options
    megumiyonmegumiyon Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Tribble has been updated to: ST.75.20170306c.4

[*] Carrier Pets:
    • All Player Carrier Pets are now immune to Warp Core Breaches
    • All Player Carrier Pets now have "Layered Defenses III"; which is an immunity to one torpedo every 30 seconds
    • Carrier pets now have significantly increased damage, hitpoints, power draining, shield healing, and shield draining

@crypticspartan#0627 - Hangar Pets still seem incapable of keeping up with the mother craft while at full impulse.
  • Options
    lucho80 wrote: »

The problem is Deflector Overload got the short end of the stick because he arbitrarily decided drain and control wouldn't get the same treatment as part gens and shield heals. Seems he decided to slap down the two ones I posted minmax forums posts, so I decided to post a part gens one today to demonstrate the ridiculous amount of part gens % damage boosts available on top of skill maxing.

Yeah it seems it was actually developed as a boff ability, since as a lt com or commander ability it would actually be quite good, but than switched with sub-nuc beam to give science something like apa in the buff department. Yet what could be done to prop it up, and give it more value across all ship boff-layouts is the question though. Still trying to figure out what could be a good suggestion for how it could have more overall value in a meaningful way, without feeling like a copy-paste of apa.
  • Options
    megumiyon wrote: »
    Tribble has been updated to: ST.75.20170306c.4

[*] Carrier Pets:
    • All Player Carrier Pets are now immune to Warp Core Breaches
    • All Player Carrier Pets now have "Layered Defenses III"; which is an immunity to one torpedo every 30 seconds
    • Carrier pets now have significantly increased damage, hitpoints, power draining, shield healing, and shield draining

@crypticspartan#0627 - Hangar Pets still seem incapable of keeping up with the mother craft while at full impulse.

Yeah I am also wondering how much work might it be to just make it that when you hit your "Launch" hanger-pet ability, that it will teleport any active pets beyond a certain distance to the mothership, or jsut despawn those outside that distance an summon new ones.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    [/quote]
    lordgyor wrote: »
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Drain_Expertise

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Control_Expertise

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Shield_Restoration (not complete, does not list Temporal shield heals).

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Exotic_Particle_Generator (note that it effects drain infection so you character gets extra benefit from overcharge deflectors on drain powers if you have drain infection trained. )

So yeah, not a lot of tac powers except subsystem targeting, but otherwise a good variety, especially with science, temporal, and enigeering powers, but also with a variety of consoles.

Those pages took some time to complete..Ill add the temporal heals..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    A Valiant class ship is a very tac heavy class, with a commander tac and lt.

But you make absolutely make good use of both DO and Photonic Fleet.

TSS Weapons I, Attack Pattern Beta I, TSS Shields III, Torpedo Spread III, Tac Team I, Focus Fire II (may have the name wrong), Mine Pattern I Beta.

Enigeering Team I, Emergency Power to Shields II.

Science Team, Tycan's Rift, Tractor Beam, Tacyon Beam.

Plasma Emission Torpedo (the plasma it unleashes benifits from exotic particle generators) which in turn benifits from Torpedo Spread III.

You have 7 powers that benifit from DO, 8 with Plasma Emission Torpedo+Torpedo Spread III and several that make Photonic Fleet, such as Attack Pattern Beta better by making the target more vulenerible to their attacks.

And this is one of the least sci friendly ships at T6 in the game.

So no science officers aren't forced to fly science ships. Do they get more out of them? Yes, but tacs can squeeze out more from tac ships. You trade raw power for versatility when you choose a ship class against type, and versatility for raw power when you chose a ship that fits the same type. Its almost like multiclassing.
  • Options
    seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @fftt

I have more Sci characters than any other career, none fly Sci ships, and I almost never use Hazard Emitters and flat out don't use Polarize Hull at all.

I can understand Polarise Hull, but no Hazard Emitters? That seems off to me; a blue hull heal, and cleanse of effects. Maybe it's because I've fought Borg so much, where the thing is required to deal with the Shield Neutraliser and Plasma Burn. How do you deal with it?
  • Options
    TSS Weapons I, Attack Pattern Beta I, TSS Shields III, Torpedo Spread III, Tac Team I, Focus Fire II (may have the name wrong), Mine Pattern I Beta.

Enigeering Team I, Emergency Power to Shields II.

Science Team, Tycan's Rift, Tractor Beam, Tacyon Beam.

You have 7 powers that benifit from DO, 8 with Plasma Emission Torpedo+Torpedo Spread III and several that make Photonic Fleet, such as Attack Pattern Beta better by making the target more vulenerible to their attacks.
    Deflector Overload does not affect any Attack Pattern. It affects Subsystem Targetting and heals. If you want to spec in drains, it's nice. If not, well, you get nothing out of it. It's like saying Attack Pattern Alpha only affects Phasers and Photons. Lots of build variety there.

It doesn't really matter that it affects heals. It's a nice bonus, but overall... meh. I did not need it before this update. It's a 50% bonus healing every 2 minutes. What I need is a bit more "oomph" to murder the enemies of the Federation/Klingon Empire/Romulan Republic.
    So no science officers aren't forced to fly science ships. Do they get more out of them? Yes, but tacs can squeeze out more from tac ships. You trade raw power for versatility when you choose a ship class against type, and versatility for raw power when you chose a ship that fits the same type. Its almost like multiclassing.
    This is a concept that has no place in STO as it is presented. If you can pilot an Undine Bioship, there is no reason EVERY class cannot have amazing moment in EVERY ship. 15-20 seconds every 2 minutes is not asking alot.

• Options
    sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    So how do you claim the ships traits? I am so confused!
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    @crypticspartan#0627

I am curious about the Mines' new lock-on range. How does this stack with the Hot Pursuit Trait? Does the Trait double their new range or does it add the old range on top of the new one?
  • Options
    Attack Pattern Beta was to benifit photonic fleet not DO.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Weapon Specialization now gives 4% Weapon Critical Severity at 100 skill, from 6%
    Weapon Amplification now gives 40% at 100 Critical Severity skill, from 20%

This is a net buff to Inspirational Leader, yes?
    Previously each stack was giving a combined crit magnitude benefits of 2.6%. Each stack is now giving 4.4%, I think.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    so i see they're now going with the whole 1|10 crit hit/severity ratio thing now

that means they can also change the max crit severity bit on the Temporal Disentanglement Suite console from 10% to 25%, since the crit chance on it maxes at 2.5%​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    batdoodbatdood Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    This should make everyone feel better. We all know it's coming. ;)

VOctedv.jpg
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    What I need is a bit more "oomph" to murder the enemies of the Federation/Klingon Empire/Romulan Republic.

Can't keep doing the same-o, same-o, now. You want "oomph" try cannons and torps.

You can't keep all the beams going without weapons power....you need an Eng to be effective with 8 beams draining it (I remember that from a long time ago, when I first started playing).

Play with Target Subsystems!!!! Especially, Shield and Engines. I have yet to learn what Aux shut down will do...but I will test that out, eventually, too. Did not try Sub Nuke BOFF clickie...but will try it on my Eng this weekend.

And I found Deflector Overload VERY helpful, though.
    Got out of a tight spot when I aggro'ed a Fed Sci Vessel while trying to spin my cannons around to shoo some Peregrines/Shuttles/whatever-they-were away. Didn't see Sci Vessel "behind me" (camera angles and all that)...just saw the tractor on the screen (see this is why I don't PvP....no awareness). On a wild hair...I decided to hit that Deflector Overload button. Nice. Gotta think more on that, too. :)

All I can say is to remember: +Control Expertise also means you are able to RESIST control, too.....so with +50....escape is, now, possible along with a heal to shields right along with it. Come on, think people. Not just about getting your monster Sci clickies. I must go study what +Drain Expertise would do for me and what enemies use that stuff.

Someone said: Sci character HAVE to use Science ships. NO.

I had my Romulan Sci in her Phoenix box "Bug" ship (which has tons of tactical slots to play with) and had a grand time on Tribble last night. Shoot...I didn't even have BOFFs set up right on that character....I actually had to stop and go back and train them. Still had great fun.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    batdood wrote: »

I lol'd. More than once, actually. Well played. :)

• Options
    batdoodbatdood Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    batdood wrote: »

I lol'd. More than once, actually. Well played. :)

All in good fun.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I realise I'm a bit too late for this since it was already discussed on the 6th page, but I would like to add that I don't really understand the nerf to DRB either.

Subspace Vortex is still very useful, yet this is a power that you just drop off and don't worry about it anymore. DRB requires continuous targeting and can be interrupted by fast moving enemies or, for example, teleporting Undine ships or 180 degree immune Vot.

Both powers are big damage dealers but it makes little sense to me to nerf the one that requires more skill (and luck against certain enemies) to use and - especially - maintain to maximise its usefulness.