test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TRIBBLE MAINTENANCE AND RELEASE NOTES - MARCH 15, 2017

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Shield healing and exotic damage is acutally not purely a science thing.
    Emergency Power to Shields and Extend Shields are shield healing powers as well.
    And Aceton Beam and Eject Warp Plasma should be exotic damage as well.
    I believe Needs of the Many and Overwhelm Shields also provide shield healing. (The former only to your allies.)

"Aceton Beam and Eject Warp Plasma" are presently exotic damage and benifit from EPG points..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,234 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    It just opens up new options for you, and it brings back old options that you can add to the ones you already have.
    Not for me its ruining the playstyles I like torpedoes and offering nothing new.

I don't know what's going on with your torps, but my torps are working even better.

I play like they do in the TV show which is as Captain I tell my tactical officer to prepare a torpedo spread on my mark. Then I fly in at range on full impulse and at the right tactical moment go mark and the tactical officer responds with the pre prepared orders. It’s fun and just like what they do in the TV show. Only now after I get to that tactical moment the tactical officer forgets to fire. Which both ruins the fun, flow and experience of combat. The secondary problem is the torps I use have longer cooldowns then that 10seconds. So I can tell the tactical officer to fire a torpedo spread at the next available moment, that moment arrive and he forgets to fire causing me to lose my single torpedo spread so I have to wait another 30 seconds.

That's why I don't like this torpedo change.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Watch them

You lost me there. Why would I torture myself watching that?

• asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    With the changes to how cannons fire making alot of people find that going back to dual heavies over dual cannons, maybe making a shift to dual cannons to have them have a higher firing arc (not 90 degrees but maybe 65-75 degrees) could make them more appealing a choice. Also such a change would mean that you could slot dual cannons on a slower turning ship without needing to waste slots on turn rate boosting consoles, but still could slot turn rate boosts f you wished to have the more burst oriented dual heavies on that same ship.

I have always found extend shield kinda weird, but quite useful as a healer. Though I have always wonder if it might serve a better purpose as a form of healer/tank ability if it were reworked to function more as a toggle. Like that you could toggle it on a target within 10 km of you, and it would transfer a portion of healing done to your own ship's shields to the toggled target, while also giving them a sort of secondary shielding type effect as well. Maybe allow it that if they heal their own shields it heals the user's shields first. and maybe that damage done to a target with extend shields on it is divided between both player's.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    I noticed that the AoE for Tyken and GW was only 3Km on my engineer on tribble.
    Can someone with a dedicated science build (high investment in control and particle) check the AoE?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Emergency Power to Shields and Extend Shields are shield healing powers as well.
    I believe Needs of the Many and Overwhelm Shields also provide shield healing. (The former only to your allies.)

"Aceton Beam and Eject Warp Plasma" are presently exotic damage and benifit from EPG points..

Yes, there are other skills that can be affected by Deflector Overload besides those from science. Though not to push EPtS or ES aside too lightly - I would think those are situational abilities that one would not pop off a prior overload for. So AB and EWP warrant some more scrutiny. But going back to how this change makes the science class unique, no other captain's ability is 'useful' only if you pick a certain BOff layout. A layout that isn't necessarily supportable in all ships. Pretty much no matter how you layout a ship, an engineer or tactical captain has abilities that will always benefit it, just as SubNuc always had a benefit. The one counter example I can think of is an all universal ship (BoP) that you'll unlikely not slot a single tactical BOff in, in which case Tactical Initiative does you absolutely nothing. Given this new Deflector Overload I can come up with plenty of loadouts on plenty of ships that would not be affected by DO at all. Admitted I don't think any ship should go without a shield heal of some sorts, but again since shield healing is usually situational the forethought of using DO prior to a heal could be more of a hindrance than a benefit (unless its effects last in the minutes - doubtful).

I think it's a bad idea to replace the captain ability SubNuc with something not as generalized as all the other captain abilities and that it would deter me from making a science captain in lieu of the other classes.
    questerius wrote: »
    Can someone with a dedicated science build (high investment in control and particle) check the AoE?

That's what happens when people "fix" science abilites. They too often break.

• crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer

Tyken's Rift has been 3km since long before I changed it.

Gravity Well I has also been 3km base radius since long before I looked at the power. Ranks II and III have larger base radii, and all 3 ranks still scale up with your Control Expertise.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Copy characters to Tribble is not working. Has it been blocked?

I got mine to work.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I play a Science character in a Resolute. Deflector Overcharge is not going to do anything for me.

"But, what about Aceton Beam? You even have a trait for it!"
    Yeah... and 2 science console slots. Every two minutes I can drop a mediocre Aceton Beam. The trait is especially strange since I don't have any means to "group up" enemies to make use of it. Thankfully, the patch allows me to use it on Gorn Science Vessels, so at least someone makes use of the trait

"But, it boosts heals!"
    I have 5 Engineering consoles and 3 Engineering BoFFs. I have never said "You know what I need? More heals!". I have lots of passive boosts/consoles to healing that work as soon as my powers are off cooldown as opposed to a power that super-charges healing once every 2 minutes.

I guess I'm just playing STO wrong. Science characters should not be in a Resolute.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User

Tyken's Rift has been 3km since long before I changed it.

Gravity Well I has also been 3km base radius since long before I looked at the power. Ranks II and III have larger base radii, and all 3 ranks still scale up with your Control Expertise.

Thanks for the reply. Was under the impression that it was a larger AoE (5-10Km) for Tyken due to it being a drain ability and not a control ability. Was this change made with the skill revamp?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    Well than if some player feel that deflector overload is just not up to spec compared to apa, actually kind feel this would be fine as a boff ability at lt com myself, than how would you think they should alter it to make it more comparable to apa?
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    Well a +50% to all science related powers would be a good way to do it, given there's nothing really wrong with the principle so much as the execution. Realistically though it still needs to be coupled with an adjustment to APA to make it a conventional damage boost only rather than an all damage boost.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @fftt

I have more Sci characters than any other career, none fly Sci ships, and I almost never use Hazard Emitters and flat out don't use Polarize Hull at all.

And I have to ask, how much would you be using Deflector Overload on your non-sci ships? Would it be more useful than SubNuc? And if it's not clear - I'm not against sci captains losing SubNuc, it's just that I think the Deflector Overload replacement is useful *almost* exclusively to science ships. Yes, yes, yes there are exceptions with shield healing boosts and what not, but I'm not the first to feel that DO "pigeon holes" science captains to science ships. Maybe there's something to it?

asuran14 wrote: »
    Well than if some player feel that deflector overload is just not up to spec compared to apa, actually kind feel this would be fine as a boff ability at lt com myself, than how would you think they should alter it to make it more comparable to apa?
    It should not matter what class you play or what ship you fly.

Every class should have a button that lets you be amazing for 15-20 seconds that works in anyship.

Tacs get APA and that is awesome! Now, Engineers get a boost to Max/Current power and they can reduce weapon drain. That isn't quite as good as APA, but it is close. If they tweak it, it could be a solid contender.

Deflector Overload should be the awesome button for Science characters. It needs to affect more than blue powers. It should affect several types of red and yellow powers too.
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Well a +50% to all science related powers would be a good way to do it, given there's nothing really wrong with the principle so much as the execution. Realistically though it still needs to be coupled with an adjustment to APA to make it a conventional damage boost only rather than an all damage boost.

I can agree with some of that, but in the end I doubt we would see them completely remove the damage boost to exotic damage from apa. Even with a 50% boost to science related powers it would be too narrow as I see it, since apa an even eps are pretty well blanket buffs, and so their value is not tied to a ship's boff layouts (in this way a heavy science boff layout gains much more than a lighter science layout).
    edited March 2017

Every ship has weapons - probably the biggest game progresser there is - you can't go wrong with APA. DO however... Well I've already listed my reason why I think you *can* go wrong with it. I've actually thought about it being a BOff ability myself, kind'a like the science version of APO, but Cryptic must be going somewhere with the removal of SubNuc as a captain ability and have their reasons.

EDIT: Their even
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    it will affect them once they start making more red and yellow (i sound like i'm talking about freaking pokemon games here..). powers that scale off DrainX/CtrlX/EPG/etc.

and it's not like they aren't constantly releasing new ones every other month​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    redvenge wrote: »
    It should not matter what class you play or what ship you fly.

Every class should have a button that lets you be amazing for 15-20 seconds that works in anyship.

Tacs get APA and that is awesome! Now, Engineers get a boost to Max/Current power and they can reduce weapon drain. That isn't quite as good as APA, but it is close. If they tweak it, it could be a solid contender.

Deflector Overload should be the awesome button for Science characters. It needs to affect more than blue powers. It should affect several types of red and yellow powers too.

As I have said with eps it would be nice if it boosted the bonus gained from your sub-systems power level for the duration, or a shorter duration if that is too much,and I have other ideas on how eps could be changes to make it contend with apa on more equal grounds yet that is nto for here right now.

I agree as I said above apa, and even eps are blanket buffs, as such it would make sense to make overload deflector a more blanket buffing ability. Right now it does affect a few engineering abilities (like aceton beam, vent plasma, as well as the heals), but tactical I see as the issue since it buffs it seems quite a small number of them.
    it will affect them once they start making more red and yellow (i sound like i'm talking about freaking pokemon games here..). powers that scale off DrainX/CtrlX/EPG/etc.

and it's not like they aren't constantly releasing new ones every other month​​
    Which red powers have they released in the last year that work off of any science skill? They just changed Target Subsystems to work, but I think that is the only one. For yellow powers we have Aceton Beam and Eject Warp Plasma. When did they release those?

New specializations won't help, unless I really am using the wrong ship.

Are you saying "don't worry! all your concerns will be answered in the next lockbox!"? That's not really very reassuring.

The problem is Deflector Overload got the short end of the stick because he arbitrarily decided drain and control wouldn't get the same treatment as part gens and shield heals. Seems he decided to slap down the two ones I posted minmax forums posts, so I decided to post a part gens one today to demonstrate the ridiculous amount of part gens % damage boosts available on top of skill maxing.

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Drain_Expertise

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Control_Expertise

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Shield_Restoration (not complete, does not list Temporal shield heals).

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Exotic_Particle_Generator (note that it effects drain infection so you character gets extra benefit from overcharge deflectors on drain powers if you have drain infection trained. )

So yeah, not a lot of tac powers except subsystem targeting, but otherwise a good variety, especially with science, temporal, and enigeering powers, but also with a variety of consoles.
    I also add photonic fleet has been given a buff and that does benefit from any tac power that either boost team damage or reduces the targets damage resistance or reduces the damage the target deals.
  • megumiyonmegumiyon Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Tribble has been updated to: ST.75.20170306c.4

[*] Carrier Pets:
    • All Player Carrier Pets are now immune to Warp Core Breaches
    • All Player Carrier Pets now have "Layered Defenses III"; which is an immunity to one torpedo every 30 seconds
    • Carrier pets now have significantly increased damage, hitpoints, power draining, shield healing, and shield draining

@crypticspartan#0627 - Hangar Pets still seem incapable of keeping up with the mother craft while at full impulse.
    lucho80 wrote: »

The problem is Deflector Overload got the short end of the stick because he arbitrarily decided drain and control wouldn't get the same treatment as part gens and shield heals. Seems he decided to slap down the two ones I posted minmax forums posts, so I decided to post a part gens one today to demonstrate the ridiculous amount of part gens % damage boosts available on top of skill maxing.

Yeah it seems it was actually developed as a boff ability, since as a lt com or commander ability it would actually be quite good, but than switched with sub-nuc beam to give science something like apa in the buff department. Yet what could be done to prop it up, and give it more value across all ship boff-layouts is the question though. Still trying to figure out what could be a good suggestion for how it could have more overall value in a meaningful way, without feeling like a copy-paste of apa.
    megumiyon wrote: »
    Tribble has been updated to: ST.75.20170306c.4

[*] Carrier Pets:
    • All Player Carrier Pets are now immune to Warp Core Breaches
    • All Player Carrier Pets now have "Layered Defenses III"; which is an immunity to one torpedo every 30 seconds
    • Carrier pets now have significantly increased damage, hitpoints, power draining, shield healing, and shield draining

@crypticspartan#0627 - Hangar Pets still seem incapable of keeping up with the mother craft while at full impulse.

Yeah I am also wondering how much work might it be to just make it that when you hit your "Launch" hanger-pet ability, that it will teleport any active pets beyond a certain distance to the mothership, or jsut despawn those outside that distance an summon new ones.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    [/quote]
    lordgyor wrote: »
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Drain_Expertise

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Control_Expertise

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Shield_Restoration (not complete, does not list Temporal shield heals).

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Exotic_Particle_Generator (note that it effects drain infection so you character gets extra benefit from overcharge deflectors on drain powers if you have drain infection trained. )

So yeah, not a lot of tac powers except subsystem targeting, but otherwise a good variety, especially with science, temporal, and enigeering powers, but also with a variety of consoles.

Those pages took some time to complete..Ill add the temporal heals..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

A Valiant class ship is a very tac heavy class, with a commander tac and lt.

But you make absolutely make good use of both DO and Photonic Fleet.

TSS Weapons I, Attack Pattern Beta I, TSS Shields III, Torpedo Spread III, Tac Team I, Focus Fire II (may have the name wrong), Mine Pattern I Beta.

Enigeering Team I, Emergency Power to Shields II.

Science Team, Tycan's Rift, Tractor Beam, Tacyon Beam.

Plasma Emission Torpedo (the plasma it unleashes benifits from exotic particle generators) which in turn benifits from Torpedo Spread III.

You have 7 powers that benifit from DO, 8 with Plasma Emission Torpedo+Torpedo Spread III and several that make Photonic Fleet, such as Attack Pattern Beta better by making the target more vulenerible to their attacks.

And this is one of the least sci friendly ships at T6 in the game.

So no science officers aren't forced to fly science ships. Do they get more out of them? Yes, but tacs can squeeze out more from tac ships. You trade raw power for versatility when you choose a ship class against type, and versatility for raw power when you chose a ship that fits the same type. Its almost like multiclassing.
  • seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @fftt

I have more Sci characters than any other career, none fly Sci ships, and I almost never use Hazard Emitters and flat out don't use Polarize Hull at all.

I can understand Polarise Hull, but no Hazard Emitters? That seems off to me; a blue hull heal, and cleanse of effects. Maybe it's because I've fought Borg so much, where the thing is required to deal with the Shield Neutraliser and Plasma Burn. How do you deal with it?
    TSS Weapons I, Attack Pattern Beta I, TSS Shields III, Torpedo Spread III, Tac Team I, Focus Fire II (may have the name wrong), Mine Pattern I Beta.

Enigeering Team I, Emergency Power to Shields II.

Science Team, Tycan's Rift, Tractor Beam, Tacyon Beam.

You have 7 powers that benifit from DO, 8 with Plasma Emission Torpedo+Torpedo Spread III and several that make Photonic Fleet, such as Attack Pattern Beta better by making the target more vulenerible to their attacks.
    Deflector Overload does not affect any Attack Pattern. It affects Subsystem Targetting and heals. If you want to spec in drains, it's nice. If not, well, you get nothing out of it. It's like saying Attack Pattern Alpha only affects Phasers and Photons. Lots of build variety there.

It doesn't really matter that it affects heals. It's a nice bonus, but overall... meh. I did not need it before this update. It's a 50% bonus healing every 2 minutes. What I need is a bit more "oomph" to murder the enemies of the Federation/Klingon Empire/Romulan Republic.
    So no science officers aren't forced to fly science ships. Do they get more out of them? Yes, but tacs can squeeze out more from tac ships. You trade raw power for versatility when you choose a ship class against type, and versatility for raw power when you chose a ship that fits the same type. Its almost like multiclassing.
    This is a concept that has no place in STO as it is presented. If you can pilot an Undine Bioship, there is no reason EVERY class cannot have amazing moment in EVERY ship. 15-20 seconds every 2 minutes is not asking alot.