test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The one thing I don't see in the Space balance dead exploding ship damage.

m311m311 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
I'm still playing the story missions and some of my deaths is instant death from destroyed AI dreadnoughts, Battleships practically any ship the size of my Star Cruiser exploding next to me. They do more damage than the weapons itself.
No seriously they go right through my shield and cause me to die instantly. I don't know if this is a bug or something that needs to be looked at. Cruisers can't turn or move fast enough. I keep dying instantly for a dead ship exploding. This is stupid and it was on Normal difficulty.

Comments

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    No. It is fine and plausible.

It is called a warp core breach which basically unleashes all antimatter in the core itself plus any antimatter in storage containers that suffered damage which causes a containment breach allowing even more antimatter to react with matter.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    - Evasive maneuvers & brace for impact
    - Rock & Roll, Scratch the Paint, AP Beta temp hitpoints from pilot tree
    - Anything else that gives immunity, temp hitpoints, or temp damage resist
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    OP: as you're new to the game and no where near really working on Spec trees etc, you need to keep your distance from the enemy especially when you see you're close to killing them off. If you're too close you hit evasive maneuvers. You can also go down south in the Beta Quadrant to the Alhena system and do the "Defense Contract” mission to get some free Deuterium which does much the same thing. If you know you can't get away in time then hit that Brace for Impact.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Everything just HAS to explode, eh? Reminds me of a TV show where the obligatory car chase ends up in the obligatory car off the the cliff and explodes... problem was, the FX team had the car explode just a bit too soon. So car explodes about 2ft off the ground after falling undamaged for a good 4 seconds. :D

It would be nice to see it where a dead ship doesn't explode; it just tumbles off inert. But that would mean the game has to keep track of dead things and that's hard. :'(
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Everything just HAS to explode, eh? Reminds me of a TV show where the obligatory car chase ends up in the obligatory car off the the cliff and explodes... problem was, the FX team had the car explode just a bit too soon. So car explodes about 2ft off the ground after falling undamaged for a good 4 seconds. :D

It would be nice to see it where a dead ship doesn't explode; it just tumbles off inert. But that would mean the game has to keep track of dead things and that's hard. :'(

I would love getting diplomacy/marauder XP for disabling and capturing enemy ships, so they either surrender or get boarded and disabled like you can do in sea fight games like Empire: Total War.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    and it isn't like the mechanic isn't already in the game - ships can be set to friendly and disabled (belching green plasma) once a certainly level of hull integrity is reached; this is seen frequently through many story missions, so it just needs to be adapted into an actual mechanic

and for ships sometimes not exploding in a violent burst of antimatter, again, this already exists ingame - the voth ships don't always explode when reduced to 0% hull​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »

I would love getting diplomacy/marauder XP for disabling and capturing enemy ships, so they either surrender or get boarded and disabled like you can do in sea fight games like Empire: Total War.​​

Yeah, quite like that idea.

I mean, Starbase Incursion has the enemy saboteur's sometimes surrender - would be nice to see enemy ships do the same; always disliked the idea that every single enemy fights to the death.

Always kind of bothered me too. I feel like my character has committed mass genocide against every race in the Star Trek universe at this point. Boarding ships would be a fun mechanic or even an option to accept a ships surrender. I also can't imagine ever single enemy ship fighting to the death every single time.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Definitely not a bug. But quite annoying nonetheless, when your victory over a big enemy ship ends up being ruined just because you didn't get away fast enough.

Brace for Impact and Evasive Maneuvers are your friends in case of a warp core breach, at any rate. If i remember right, the Pilot speciality also offers a degree of invulnerability against it.
  • Options

I mean, Starbase Incursion has the enemy saboteur's sometimes surrender - would be nice to see enemy ships do the same; always disliked the idea that every single enemy fights to the death.

I just put in on reddit, maybe someone will see it pig-2.gif In my concept, disable abilities gain a certain chance to disable a ship below a certain HP threshold which then opens up the ability to "negotiate surrender" or "attempt to capture", probably best managed via "F" interaction in a certain radius around the ship. Surrendered ships would then be taken out of the battle and either initiate "abandon ship" or warp out, captured ships could get a small chance of becoming allied for some seconds before doing the same. Or they could initiate self-destruction due to failed negotiations/capture attempts. Succesfull oeprations reward diplo/marauder XP, possibly EC and commodities.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    any ship captured (through whatever means) that survives the fight should give you an appropriate 1x ASSCard​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    any ship captured (through whatever means) that survives the fight should give you an appropriate 1x ASSCard

I like the idea, but that would probably be too powerful/"exploitable". Maybe you can only hold one type of captured ship at a time so you can't pile up a bazillion?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    well, it's not like there are many maps with infinitely spawning ships that could be farmed for cards - and for the ones where there are, just make it so spawns from infinite spawn generators don't give the card, like how such ships were altered to give no XP after japorigate

alternatively, there could also be a limit to how many cards you can obtain through that method per day - somewhat like how in ESO, you can steal all the TRIBBLE you want across tamriel as long as you have the space for it, but you can only fence/launder a limited number of items per day​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    - Evasive maneuvers & brace for impact
    - Rock & Roll, Scratch the Paint, AP Beta temp hitpoints from pilot tree
    - Anything else that gives immunity, temp hitpoints, or temp damage resist

Tractor Beam Repulsors will do the trick as well.

and it isn't like the mechanic isn't already in the game - ships can be set to friendly and disabled (belching green plasma) once a certainly level of hull integrity is reached; this is seen frequently through many story missions, so it just needs to be adapted into an actual mechanic​​

Yes, it does. I have requested that Disable as a toggle alternative to destroying enemy ships a couple of times.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »

Always kind of bothered me too. I feel like my character has committed mass genocide against every race in the Star Trek universe at this point.
    Killing the soldiers of the enemy is generally not considered genocide. That is just the unavoidable ugliness of war.
    And I believe mass genocide would usually not be a thing in STO, you'd basically would have to target multiple "genos" at once to get that. Serial genocide might be possible.

Except we don't go around murdering Kazon and Vaadwaur babies and glass their planets. We go after military targets.
    Boarding ships would be a fun mechanic or even an option to accept a ships surrender. I also can't imagine ever single enemy ship fighting to the death every single time.
    Well, they might be trying to fight for too long, and not realize the next hit could trigger a warp core breach.

But i agree it would be nice if there were more situations where the enemy ship just gets disabled or surrenders. (Note however that currently all missions that have enemies do that fail t give you the kill XP, which sucks and would probably need to be adressed.)

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Killing the soldiers of the enemy is generally not considered genocide. That is just the unavoidable ugliness of war.
    And I believe mass genocide would usually not be a thing in STO, you'd basically would have to target multiple "genos" at once to get that. Serial genocide might be possible.

The 26th century Dreadnoughts made me think. There are probably a lot of persons on such a ship. Not all of them are combatants. Those ships are more or less travelling cities, communities. If you destroy it, you probably kill a lot of women and children ( women, let's say partners of what may be seen as personel, your so called soldiers) Anyway, those huge ships are hard to belief true Man-of-War. Which makes the classification, Dreadnought, questionable.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Wiping out jem hadar cloning faciilities could be considered genocide as it might lead to the exctintion of the species, with similar possible implications for the vorta.

Other than them soldiers that become soldiers thinking they'll never get shot at need to be sat down and given a basic history of any armed conflict ever.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

It is called a warp core breach which basically unleashes all antimatter in the core itself plus any antimatter in storage containers that suffered damage which causes a containment breach allowing even more antimatter to react with matter.

What I dont see and maybe Im missing it is say a Borg Cube blows, I take damage but the Borg Sphere, and such dont.

Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    fovrel wrote: »

The 26th century Dreadnoughts made me think. There are probably a lot of persons on such a ship. Not all of them are combatants. Those ships are more or less travelling cities, communities. If you destroy it, you probably kill a lot of women and children ( women, let's say partners of what may be seen as personel, your so called soldiers) Anyway, those huge ships are hard to belief true Man-of-War. Which makes the classification, Deadnought, questionable.
    Would you say that destroying a weapons factory is not acceptable because there are civilians working in it?
    Should we just surrender when an enemy straps children to his tank?

What if he puts civilians aboard giant ships and is planning to use that ship to cut off FTL travel in vast regions of space, destroying trade roudes and critical supply routes for billions of people and destroying the basis of their culture?

I think the most plausible case for genocide we have was the Iconian War (if we had eradicated the Iconians) and the Borg (since they have no concept of civilians among themselves). But then it would probably be like committing a homicide in self-defense. Ugly and regrettable, but justifiable.

In more real world terms, genocide usually means that a particular group of people is hunted down, forcefully displaced and murdered even if they are just living peacefully next to you so far.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    huijianhuijian Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »

What I dont see and maybe Im missing it is say a Borg Cube blows, I take damage but the Borg Sphere, and such dont.

maybe npc ships have "scratch the paint" pilot skill ;)
    but seriously you make good point.
    3GIYBa2.jpg?1
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

Always kind of bothered me too. I feel like my character has committed mass genocide against every race in the Star Trek universe at this point.

Except we don't go around murdering Kazon and Vaadwaur babies and glass their planets. We go after military targets.
    Boarding ships would be a fun mechanic or even an option to accept a ships surrender. I also can't imagine ever single enemy ship fighting to the death every single time.
    Well, they might be trying to fight for too long, and not realize the next hit could trigger a warp core breach.

But i agree it would be nice if there were more situations where the enemy ship just gets disabled or surrenders. (Note however that currently all missions that have enemies do that fail t give you the kill XP, which sucks and would probably need to be adressed.)

We've blown up bases and ships without knowing who's really on these installations and ships. We are ignorant of the personnel which could include civilians. It's not like we scan the ships and know they are all enemy soldiers. While I do agree that we aren't actively trying to wipe anyone out we are indirectly destroying thousands...in some cases tens and even hundreds of thousands of ships. I would love to see a counter of how many borg ships I've destroyed. I bet I've killed millions...tens of millions of borg.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    d0nomegad0nomega Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    There are no explosions in space. But people will say its okay ;)
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Also -> Polarized Hull & Auxillary to Intertial Dampners (Kinetic Resist).
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    [
    We've blown up bases and ships without knowing who's really on these installations and ships. We are ignorant of the personnel which could include civilians. It's not like we scan the ships and know they are all enemy soldiers. While I do agree that we aren't actively trying to wipe anyone out we are indirectly destroying thousands...in some cases tens and even hundreds of thousands of ships. I would love to see a counter of how many borg ships I've destroyed. I bet I've killed millions...tens of millions of borg.

While I get your point, you are assuming that each time you play a queue or go into red alert you are destroying more Borg, but that's not true. The game narrative let's you visit every place, every que, every patrol and every red alert a single time - if you revisit is there is no in-lore logic for a gameplay feature like replaying those missions. You can only destroy the Queen once, save the Starbase once and destroy every "command ship" of the Borg once. You still murder a whole lot of sapient beings on your crusade through STO, though.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    if you revisit is there is no in-lore logic for a gameplay feature like replaying those missions.

holodeck​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited March 2017
    if you revisit is there is no in-lore logic for a gameplay feature like replaying those missions.

holodeck

Possibly, but it's really not necessary to find a "explanation" in the first place, otherwise you pretend your captain and crew does nothing but play videogames all the time pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    well, yeah...what else are they going to do on those constant weeks-long trips between missions? even with a transwarp network developed, travel still takes significant time (not ingame, obviously, because time compression)​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Likely because the game is setup so that enemy ships do not damage each other; a.k.a "friendly fire". Similar to how one player's Gravity Well do not affect other players, only enemy ships.