test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

♂ why do you think they went with another male captain? ♂

i was thinking about the enterprise F in game and captain shon and i was wondering.

the "F" would be the 8th ship named enterprise. we know the "C" had a female captain.

so that means only 1 female captain out of 8 ships named enterprise.

why do you think they decided to go with another male captain for the enterprise F?

and as a bonus question why do you think they went with a male captain for the new show discovery?

so far every show but voyager has had a male captain, and they decided to do another one.

nothing wrong with it just wonderinngg what other people think.

Comments

• lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    How about the military is male dominated, and males are the dominant group interested in military things? Sure you could have a female captain but is that as realistic or as interesting? Yes there's exceptions obviously but much simpler going 'traditional'. Having a non-human captain of course is somewhat different.

As for your bonus question, have they confirmed the ST:D captain is male? The only captain's name I've heard was female - possibly a different ship though. Given the ideology being pushed by those behind the show it may be interesting to know why if they do indeed go with a permanent male captain.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I believe they drew inspiration from Shran when creating Shon, and made him male specifically for that reason. As for Discovery, idk, but they got an awesome actor for the part which is all I really care about. However, given that the main focus will supposedly be on the female first officer rather than the Captain, I wouldn't be surprised if she took command in a later season.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    Uh how do you know there was only one female captain of an Enterprise when we've only seen five of them? Two which were captained by the same man because he crashed the ship. We never saw Enterprise G-I.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Because Discovery already has a female lead.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    The J has a female Dax as it's Captain.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    And why was Shon the only alien to Captain an Enterprise-named ship?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    And why was Shon the only alien to Captain an Enterprise-named ship?

Technically, I believe Spock was captain of the Enterprise when TWOK started.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    Columbia NX-02, USS Lakota... the USS Pastuer, if we're going to count alternate futures. You could even count mirror Sato's somewhat brief de-facto command of the Defiant, and there are still several comparatively little known instances as well, and then some non-canon ones too. Captain Dax on the USS Aventine, for one. They're out there, it's probably all just a coincidence, at least from an in-universe perspective. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Yet Another White Male Human captain. Yawn.

Get creative for Prophets' sake, the Federation is more than just humans, and humans are more than just Caucasians with mismatched chromosomes.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • intraventianintraventian Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Clearly this is the work of mustache-twirling misogynists in a secluded secret base trying once again to oppress women everywhere.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2017
    Maybe they they just picked an actor they liked and that's the be all end all of it?

Edit: Almost missed this...
    How about the military is male dominated, and males are the dominant group interested in military things? Sure you could have a female captain but is that as realistic or as interesting? Yes there's exceptions obviously but much simpler going 'traditional'. Having a non-human captain of course is somewhat different.

Starfleet isn't a military and it's certainly not male dominated (excluding TOS and it's no female captains rule later retconed out). It seemed that by late TNG and most of DS9 that the writers seemed to be acting on a form of sexblind casting for characters, so you'd even get situations where disposable mooks were female which is rare on TV, especially in Sc-Fi.​​
    starswordc wrote: »

Get creative for Prophets' sake, the Federation is more than just humans, and humans are more than just Caucasians with mismatched chromosomes.

That's racist and sexist. You judge a character on their merits, not on their race or sex. That's being a decent human 101. You know nothing about the character yet to be able to dismiss them.
    If you mean you're board with seeing white males everywhere then you're in the wrong franchise. After TOS it seems Star Trek realised there was a world outside of the US and it shows.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Cuz we're men. We're men in tights. We roam around the forest looking for fights.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    As long as she's not Bajoran who cares

Also Jason Issac is not the main star of the Show I Believe a female is the lead character, and Jason Issac will probably be on the ship while the Female Commander does all the work...like how Riker did for Picard.

Also Brits are amazing and I love Jason Issac, and i could careless what gender or race someone is (except Bajorans), that's the whole point of Trek is not to focus on such trivial things, it's who can do a better job at whatever, and Jason Issac is awesome...hopefully he has better luck then he did in Event horizon
    GwaoHAD.png
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    interview with Harry Kim, apperently there were death threats sent to the production coz Janway was a woman.

startrek.com/article/straight-talk-with-voyagerundefineds-garrett-wang-part-i

Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
    edited March 2017
    artan42 wrote: »
    That's racist and sexist.
    *looks down at white cis-male English-Welsh-Scots-Dutch Protestant American self in confusion*
    artan42 wrote: »
    You judge a character on their merits, not on their race or sex. That's being a decent human 101. You know nothing about the character yet to be able to dismiss them.
    If you mean you're board with seeing white males everywhere then you're in the wrong franchise. After TOS it seems Star Trek realised there was a world outside of the US and it shows.
    You misunderstand me. While me wanting more protagonists of color in fiction is a factor (yes, I'm aware the series is supposedly going to focus on Sonequa Martin-Green as first officer, but given they already tried that format with Riker I question whether that will last), the main reason I object to it is that the majority of Earth's population is not white. For that matter, the way things are going that will be true just in North America within a couple of decades. So a setting purporting to represent Earth's future ought to have more color in it for realism's sake.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    The captain isn't the lead character, Starsword. The lead's female; further, if certain speculations are correct, the captain might have to be male because it might be Garth of Izar. (If they aren't, then it's probably completely unimportant what the gender of the captain is, so fifty-fifty, why not a man?)

As for Capt. Shon, he's Andorian, and I think STO's gone with the soft canon that Andorians have four genders, so is "he" male? Does the term even apply?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    *looks down at white cis-male English-Welsh-Scots-Dutch Protestant American self in confusion*

Sexism, discrimination based upon sex. Racism, discrimination based upon race or ethnicity. I see no side notes about needing to be of the opposite sex/race to discriminate based on those characteristics.
    ...the main reason I object to it is that the majority of Earth's population is not white. For that matter, the way things are going that will be true just in North America within a couple of decades. So a setting purporting to represent Earth's future ought to have more color in it for realism's sake.

You don't know what the rest of the crew will consist of. For all you know it will be two thirds Chinese as in real life. Also, my your logic we've got a ethnic minority as captain in that case.

Trying to apply current race/ethnic debate to the future is pointless. It's far more likely we'll all just be some sort of beige or brown in a few hundred years. The problem with futurism is you cannot predict it due to the patterns by which humans procreate being unpredictable. They might not even be any Chinese people in 200 years and the Māori may be the most populous group for all we know.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think the big deal for the Enterprise F was that it was a non-human Captain, which no Enterprise had so far. (Except perhaps temporarily.) It's not a big deal for us, because we know it's either a human with a mask, or a bunch of virtual pixels, but it seems kinda important to remind us that the Federation is not actually supposed to be just a human-fan-club.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited March 2017
    (hit "post" too soon, will retry)
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited March 2017
    @jonsills: As I explained already, I'm fully aware that the original plan for the show was to have the XO be the protagonist, I'm simply skeptical of how long that will last, for several reasons.

1. They tried that format once already: Riker, not Picard, was supposed to be the primary viewpoint character of TNG, but it didn't last the first season. Star Trek is traditionally captain-centric. I expect viewers and the camera are going to pay more attention to the guy in center chair than the XO standing off to the side.

2. According to some of the leaks, there's already been executive meddling worthy of Fox and Firefly. Bryan Fuller didn't quit, Les Moonves fired him for daring to complain that the fanbase wouldn't like the changes Moonves is insisting on, e.g. the new Klingons and ignoring canon set by TOS. That doesn't bode well for Fuller's intent to focus on Commander Rainsford.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    For the love of... Can we NOT turn the STO forums into an SJW circle jerk? I get enough of that junk on FB and twitter.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    See, this is why Nick Meyer may be right about fans not REALLY knowing what they want to see...

Most fans seems to be viewing Discovery through an old paradigm. We're so conditioned to gravitate towards the captain of a single ship. While Issacs will be playing the captain of the title ship, Discovery will not be about Issacs' character. Shoot, we could be following THREE ships instead of one, so one could argue that Discovery won't even be about the USS Discovery (at least, exclusively).

How about we reserve judgement until we actually see the show?

We could be watching something more akin to "Lower Decks: The Series" than a classic 7-person cast with captain as lead. It could be quite refreshing.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Really? Didn't take me long to figure it out, just looking at his head shot on the news articles.
    Yeah, I am sold on the show, already...at least, more interested in watching the pilot program. ;)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Doesn't Star Trek: Discovery take place 10 years before TOS? Having a non-human Starfleet Captain in that setting would feel weird considering that Starfleet crews in the TV series have been predominately human. You can't have Starfleet crews with a bunch of aliens, then have a Starfleet crew 10 years later with a token alien.

However, it feels like Star Trek: Discovery will not have a main crew, but will focus on a number of crews with maybe a couple of alien crews.