test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

XP and DX9 no more sto! has it affected you?

Comments

• Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    nope
    Windows 7 is still very, very widely used because of its reliability on existing hardware and a lot of people cite a complete disregard for privacy.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    nope
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Serious question for the Windows 7 people. Why the heck did you stick with Win 7 when Win 10 was being given out for free?
    Believe it or not but some people are actually concerned over Microsoft stating in their license agreement that they reserve the right to read all your data, share it with anyone they want and delete anything on your computer, without your consent, that they deem illegal. Not mentioning the advertisements that now will be pushed in your face by the operating system itself...
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Serious question for the Windows 7 people. Why the heck did you stick with Win 7 when Win 10 was being given out for free?

Tis a very good question.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,373 Arc User
    Ads pushed by the OS? I've got Win10 running on three separate machines here, and none of them have "pushed ads" at any of us through the OS. (On the other hand, our ISP really, really wants us to run their proprietary system to consolidate all Internet passwords through their own One Master Password system, and I have to tell it "no" every single time I go online...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nope
    jonsills wrote: »
    Ads pushed by the OS? I've got Win10 running on three separate machines here, and none of them have "pushed ads" at any of us through the OS. (On the other hand, our ISP really, really wants us to run their proprietary system to consolidate all Internet passwords through their own One Master Password system, and I have to tell it "no" every single time I go online...)

I use Linux myself but the Internetz was full of articles like this not too long ago:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039827/windows/7-ways-windows-10-pushes-ads-at-you-and-how-to-stop-them.html

Reasonably, Microsoft have no reason to give away away their OS for free. Expect them to make you pay in one way or the other in time.
    ---
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    None of the options really apply. For some reason I've been unable to play the game since last Thursday even though I meet all the specifications.

I'm still waiting for response from Support. Strangely enough, I am able to play the game - albeit with very low settings and tremendous lag - on this small laptop that I normally use for very light tasks. My desktop computer's specifications are superior in all regards though, and I've never had trouble playing with the highest settings.

While Kael has reached out to me and support is probably doing the best they can to figure out what the problem is, realising that it's Friday means I have little hope of getting in the game before Monday :/
    I've tried almost everything: save mode, file check, even re-installed the whole game.

The only clue that I recently got is the error message saying 'Fatal error: Direct 3D driver returned error code (E_OUTOFMEMORY) while Creating hull shader'.

I've done some Googling and came across a Reddit-thread but there the solution was to force the game to use Directx9 - which isn't possible anymore. I also had no trouble running the game in Directx11 before Thursday; like I said, I meet all the specifications: graphic card, operating system, it's all fine and the game should work.

Any bit of information would be welcome.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    Can't use XP. Pish. Soon they'll be telling us that they have a problem with Vista.

Incidentally, my friend still has Windows 3. Also a copy of it still factory sealed.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    need to get a new device
    It's impacted my install on my Linux Laptop till I get a new Wine (not so much device) that supports the updates proper. A native version for Linux would make me really happy.

I've heard...

* Data harvesting that happens in Windows 10.
    * UI difference
    * Windows 7 works fine on the PC.
    * Control over installed software. (Apps like Cortana and stuff you can't remove.)
    * No forced updates that break stuff.

The privacy concerns about Windows 10 are very valid. Control over what runs on your PC is another valid point.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    nope
    risian4 wrote: »
    None of the options really apply. For some reason I've been unable to play the game since last Thursday even though I meet all the specifications.

Several people report that they had forgotten to remove the forced d3d9 option they added to the command line in the Launcher a long time ago to solve older gfx problems. Are you one of them perhaps?

---
  • Options
    I wish that was it - but I already checked that, there's no command line anymore.
  • Options
    nope
    I wish that was it - but I already checked that, there's no command line anymore.
    There is in my launcher...
    ---
  • Options
    gulxgilamarthgulxgilamarth Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    yes ,i am out

Any bit of information would be welcome.

AMD graphics by any chance?

If a newer card some have had some success with rolling back to an older driver.

• Options
    NVIDIA. But I'll see tomorrow if I can download older drivers then.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    nope
    Hasn't effected me in the least.

I have a high end PC and Laptop, both running Windows 10. Game runs at max with ease on either system.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    yes ,i am out
    Unclear what's happening with me. Running on an older Mac Pro with Radeon card. The game runs, technically, but the frame rate dropped from a consistent 30ish to something as low as 2-4 on ESD, and lower than 1 on combat maps.

I thought I'd been running DX11 successfully on the hardware, so I'm unsure why simply dropping DX9 support would affect frame rate???

PS - Running Boot Camp Win10, not emulators/VM.
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    nope
    Personally I am happy to see more and more software developers scrapping support for XP and Vista... Heck, as good as it is, they could even go as far as ending compatibility with Windows 7.

The older a piece of software, and the fewer updates are made for it, the more security issues arise, and just ONE XP machine on a network of otherwise fully upgraded and secure systems provides a big entry point for people with bad intentions.

XP WAS a great system when it was released, but it should have been put in its grave years ago... It's simply too much of a risk.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    nope

Because I didn't have internet for like 3 months and got it back the day after the offer ended.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nope
    discojer wrote: »

Because I didn't have internet for like 3 months and got it back the day after the offer ended.

Windows 10 was free for 12 months.

It's actually still free for people who use 'Accessibility options.' Thing is, you don't have to actually use, or have ever used those options. You can still upgrade to Windows 10 absolutely free by clicking this link.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    nope
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »

I use Linux myself but the Internetz was full of articles like this not too long ago:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039827/windows/7-ways-windows-10-pushes-ads-at-you-and-how-to-stop-them.html

Reasonably, Microsoft have no reason to give away away their OS for free. Expect them to make you pay in one way or the other in time.

Well, considering the free upgrade had a time limit, yes, you do have to pay...now.

If you didn't upgrade during the free time, you were either getting a new computer (with Win 10) or just stupid.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    nope
    fluffymoof wrote: »
    If you didn't upgrade during the free time, you were either getting a new computer (with Win 10) or just stupid.
    I find it hilarious and ironic that the small percentage of users that make an active and conscious choice of either MacOS or Linux as their preferred OS, due to specific needs or concerns, are labeled as "stupid" by the vast majority of Windows users who don't reflect even once over their choice of OS but only do what everyone else does. :)

---
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nope
    I find it hilarious and ironic that the small percentage of users that make an active and conscious choice of either MacOS or Linux as their preferred OS, due to specific needs or concerns, are labeled as "stupid" by the vast majority of Windows users who don't reflect even once over their choice of OS but only do what everyone else does. :)

As I type from a Mac mini running Win 10 (because it's just working better than Sierra)...

Or should I go and fire up my PowerMac G5, PM G4, or either of my two iMac G3's to type a response? Yes, I do have them. Yes, they still run. Yes, they can get online also, even under Mac OS 9. Yes, the web doesn't crash because I am online under Mac OS 9.

In other words, it is not my fault that you chose poorly when it comes to playing games. The Metal API has not saved the Mac users from the godawful, craptacular OpenGL we are forced to use under the macOS.

And nothing can save the Mac userbase from the evil performance hit that Oracle's Java doesn't bring to Windows. Back when Apple actually ported a Java package that went deeply enough into the OS, we had a great time in Java. Now granted, STO does not use the Java package at all, but I'm going on a more general usage for me.

Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to stay under my macOS partition for the rest of my life. It just isn't feasible for me, but YMMV.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    nope
    Because Windows 7 is the last good operating system Microsoft managed to make.
  • Options
    jc1240#2788 jc1240 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    yes ,i am out
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    @jc1240#2788

You may want to try installing the older AMD Catalyst Driver rather than the more recent Crimson Drivers. If you play games other than STO, then be aware that performance in those games can be affected. Below is a link to the last Catalyst Driver for Windows.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64

Thanks, I'll check it out. I did get a little more stability by enabling safe mode (one time deal it seems which is fine) and the settings were set to minimal. Ugly. Adding in a little more detail to see how much I can push it. I guess it's too much detail for the VM...or the video card. I haven't built a gaming PC since the 1990s, so I have no idea what cards are good and what aren't.
  • Options
    I'll be damned... I'm actually back in the game now on my regular PC. Had to reinstall all my drivers and the whole game but it seems to be working for now.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    nope
    bloodyriz wrote: »

Tis a very good question.​​

cuz 7 was actually better than 10? I waited as long as I could before jumping ship and I'd STILL rather run 7
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nope
    quepan wrote: »
    i beg to differ , STO white knight . ive played plenty that the minimums never changed , but the recommended did , thats fine you want to raise the bar on how good the game can perform based on new tech , but to alienate paying customers that looked at the minimum spec who at the time fit it when purchased or looked it up on steam etc . hell they haven't even changed the minimum spec on steam lol which can get them in alot of trouble with GABEN , you are held to those listed specs as a dev while recomended can fluctuate the min are set in stone for the life of the title sorry to tell you .

I bet your still pissed they took lead out of gas and paint.

Also, when you click and agree to the TOS, it states that Cryptic can change their game anyway they want without having to consult the players.

Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    therealhippotherealhippo Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    nope
    People expecting a games company to support an operating system, when even Microsoft have ceased support for it, is frankly stupid.
  • Options
    gulxgilamarthgulxgilamarth Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    yes ,i am out

Well said :)

Too much now a days Thought = Stupid where as automatically doing what many others are doing without thought = I smartz

Goes right along with "Problems with software? Software is perfect, you need upgrade hardware you financially poor sucker"

To be fair for those working on a game, when something happens, say there was not enough testing done for AMD Graphic Drivers not everyone is throwing out automatic hate, it's more of a matter of "Hey, there's a problem, can't play the game. Are you guys aware and working on it?" Which has happened and in the mean time some players have had success with different methods to get STO to realize the hardware and OS are actually correct. Further efforts to help players with MacOS POM POL or any other non "Stupid" systems and hardware.

-Gil
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    nope
    Would have killed me on my old machine, but as fate would have it that died last summer and I was forced to get a newer machine, only cost £150 and plays STO fine with great visuals.
    Just very good timing in a way, and I was out of the game for four months.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    thedarkphenoixthedarkphenoix Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    yes ,i am out
    I'm out, but I shouldn't be out. I'm on windows 10 with an Nvidia GTX970. Been playing STO using Directx11 for years, but for some reason I can't convince the launcher that I am running an obviously Dx11 capable card.

Incredibly frustrating.
    Original wave Lifetimer and Closed Beta tester.