test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why in gods name do we need 10 reputations?

10 reputations is just ridiculous. I am genuinely curious as to how many more reputations they will add. 20? 30? Moreover, there is way too much useless gear and unnecessary clickfests and timesinks in this game. I have actually posted about this before but I think that was back when there were only 7 reputations, or something like that. I'll probably bring it up again when we get to 15 reputations.

Comments

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'm hoping for at least 25 more before the game goes dark. Because like most things, more is BETTER.

Each one is something to do. Each is new choices and new combinations. Don't want to do it? Don't. Not every build and captain needs every reputation track unlocked. and once you have one unlocked, the sponsorship makes them pretty trivial for the rest of your captains.
  • Options
    cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    I would not be shocked at all if we got a TOS rep system next after all TOS stuff they have given us.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    If new Ruputations mean new cool PvE maps like the ones we recently got, by all means, give me more
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    stee1maxstee1max Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Because, better metrics.
  • Options
    gjohnny1990gjohnny1990 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    nikeix wrote: »
    I'm hoping for at least 25 more before the game goes dark. Because like most things, more is BETTER.

Each one is something to do. Each is new choices and new combinations. Don't want to do it? Don't. Not every build and captain needs every reputation track unlocked. and once you have one unlocked, the sponsorship makes them pretty trivial for the rest of your captains.

Your mentally is why this game doesn't have a massive playerbase, nobody wants a rinse and repeat grindfest that you seem to be keen on.

But they keep doing it anyway so anyone actually looking for excitement rather than "I gotta get the best gear mang!" only comes back every so often to play the new story stuff then leaves again.
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    gjohnny... define "massive player base" ??? :|

BCW
  • Options
    keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    With out them you have nothing to grind for and its a f2p game got to keep adding to that grind.
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    to answer OP's question:
    to give players something to do, they are releasign new reputations

I'm sorry to break it to you but MMO's are this kind of a games that needs a continuous flow of "give players something to do" otherwise with time you get people who have completed all content of the game, has nothing to do and because of that - leave the game

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    It comes down to the fact creating a new rep, and afew new ques/battlezone cost much less, than building the amount of new interesting content. There is also the fact that the team is very small compared to many other mmos, while also being free to play alot of their time is spent creating other content that actually makes money.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    gjohnny... define "massive player base" ??? :|

BCW

Massive Player Base is code for WoW, I think.
    Though what's their reputation system equivalant? How many have they got now?

Also, the grind is what keeps people attached to the game, because there is still something to do. Regularly releasing new reputations or similar grindable content is a must for an MMO.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    dtrekkie wrote: »
    10 reputations is just ridiculous. I am genuinely curious as to how many more reputations they will add. 20? 30? Moreover, there is way too much useless gear and unnecessary clickfests and timesinks in this game. I have actually posted about this before but I think that was back when there were only 7 reputations, or something like that. I'll probably bring it up again when we get to 15 reputations.

welcome to cryptic's idea of 'fun endgame'
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Because with 10 reputations hitting rank 5 at the same time makes your dilithium coffers explode. Especially when you have rank 5 in all of them on another character and can easily sponsor another toon in grinding them out fast using only red alerts.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    Because with 10 reputations hitting rank 5 at the same time makes your dilithium coffers explode. Especially when you have rank 5 in all of them on another character and can easily sponsor another toon in grinding them out fast using only red alerts.

...and CCA and ISA. They're always good fast marks. ;)
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    bergins wrote: »
    nimbull wrote: »

...and CCA and ISA. They're always good fast marks. ;)

G2GA is pretty nice as well. Park four ships at the sweet spots in lanes and have one guy run for stragglers while the other four close rad gates and camp (not close) spawn portals.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Your mentally is why this game doesn't have a massive playerbase, nobody wants a rinse and repeat grindfest that you seem to be keen on.

Well I don't act like the rep system is the ONLY THING IN THE GAME either. It hums along in the background inviting you to log in regularly for 40 days. But clicking 4 buttons is hardly the full measure of the content that comes along with the new season. The reputation tracks are a capstone to all the other activities you do to get those marks, and compared to a number of other MMOs a 40 day time gate with extremely flexible inputs is far from the worst way I've seen a game reward steady play. Seriously, my main is knocking out the Lukari track with a daily round of the Tholian Red alert.

That's NOT onerous or difficult. Particularly to gain access to absolutely end game quality gear.
    But they keep doing it anyway so anyone actually looking for excitement rather than "I gotta get the best gear mang!" only comes back every so often to play the new story stuff then leaves again.

Exactly what does the reputation tracks have to do with gameplay at all? They're a store front to collect your goodies from playing what most people would consider 'the actual game'. And their function is exactly the opposite of what you describe - you can play through the new content in a day (like any game) and they give you a reason to keep playing it until the next thing comes along.

Did you have some other real model being used in another game you wanted to compare it to?

• Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    You do realize that if you don't like what a reputation offers, you don't have to do the grind right? There's pretty much nothing in there that is required to play the game.

That being said, I'd be all for adding in more reputations, if they actually made them worth it, and have an impact on gameplay, either through gear or if they were all had exclusive missions that were offered like the Romulan rep (those missions didn't require any new art assets if I recall (it's been years since I did that rep), they just added on to the story). Adding in more actual content through the reputations actually makes them worth playing and less of "just another grind mechanic".
  • Options
    necaradan666necaradan666 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    How do you define 'no real justification' for having advanced queues?
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2017
    Meanwhile, I want to get my toon the T4 Lukari rep since it scales with drain skill.

By the way, even I don't actively grind the reps when they come out except on my main 2 toons. I use events like the CE and sponsorship tokens to do it on the rest of my toons.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User

I agree with this.

While I usually try to complete them all eventually, at first I just focus on the ones that are easy or most interesting to do. The Borg one can be done quickly and is more important for me because of the T3 ground ability that slows down adaptation, besides that Nukara is pretty easy thanks to CCA.

Romulan and Dyson have some useful traits too, besides that it's all toon-dependent.

If it's too much OP, just make some choices on what you want to do first. It's not like you need to have them all done by tomorrow :)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Oh and the thread title is wrong. It should read 'why in Q's name...' of course.
  • Options
    lathaislathais Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »

They do nothing. They are not really for the newbies and people who don't want to gear up or learn the game, because those will be limited to Normal anyway - by their ships' abilities. They are also not for those who perform better, and don't nudge you into becoming better either.

If they simply removed each and every Advanced queue, people would have to decide whether to do the Normal or the Elite versions. As a result, Elite would actually get played and the experience would be more like it was back when there were only the Omega STF's.

I have felt in many games that having 2 levels of difficulty is already too much, but works well enough. 3 levels just makes things far too tedious. People will either progress through each difficulty, getting bored with the same content by the time they get to the third, or they will just pick the one that has the best reward/effort ratio and stick with that. Three different "levels" of the same content is kinda silly IMO.
  • Options

I'll bite. Who out there in the big wide world of gaming do you think is doing fun endgame 'right'?

• Options

Read that sentence again and see if you can work out the logical fallacy on your own. 'Cause it's funny.

Then tell me about this non-grindy massive playerbase game that exists somewhere outside of your fantasies. I might want to check it out.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    lathais wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »

They do nothing. They are not really for the newbies and people who don't want to gear up or learn the game, because those will be limited to Normal anyway - by their ships' abilities. They are also not for those who perform better, and don't nudge you into becoming better either.

If they simply removed each and every Advanced queue, people would have to decide whether to do the Normal or the Elite versions. As a result, Elite would actually get played and the experience would be more like it was back when there were only the Omega STF's.

I have felt in many games that having 2 levels of difficulty is already too much, but works well enough. 3 levels just makes things far too tedious. People will either progress through each difficulty, getting bored with the same content by the time they get to the third, or they will just pick the one that has the best reward/effort ratio and stick with that. Three different "levels" of the same content is kinda silly IMO.

I actually like the three level system. There's normal to learn the ropes. There's advanced for somewhat more of a challenge. And there's elite to keep those guys away from my queues who somehow think that others are beneath them. (Oh, and also for some good players who like even more of a challenge)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

I'll bite. Who out there in the big wide world of gaming do you think is doing fun endgame 'right'?

Ive not seen it 'done right' yet. But there is 'better' than rep grinds.
  • Options
    flumfflumf Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Mmo's require people to play them continuously for long periods of time in order to keep the servers running. due to this repeatable content and the need to grind it is the lifeblood of mmo game-play. Without those things no mmo could survive.

Take the repeatable grind out of an mmo and people only log in when there is something new released and then take months long breaks, and only come back for a few days when the next new thing gets released. No mmo can keep running long term like this.