Install Arc
Options

so it goodbye to winXP based players as of March 1, 2017

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Win XP was the most stable OS to date,

You're so off the target... you're not even on the same planet lol...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    My own solution may be a bit decadent, but at least it works: I bought a second computer just for STO. B)

DING! DING! DING! we have a winner. :)

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    greygorlandomisgreygorlandomis Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    My own solution may be a bit decadent, but at least it works: I bought a second computer just for STO. B)

Worked for them, But anyone seeking a stabler long term solution would be better served purchasing or obtaining 2nd hand from Ebay, Garage Sale, Ect,, a PS4 for that "STO gaming device"

With a Microsoft machine, your software is always one small system patch away from not functioning.. :o
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »

I would say not even in the same solar system personally
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    doctordna wrote: »
    Linux and Mac OS X users may wish to discuss what options are available to us on our respective forums as any solutions will not be found here.

Discussion started on Wine HQ here for Linux

Wine HQ for Mac OS X here

What about React OS, isn't that still kicking?

It's kicking but still far behind Windows XP last I heard. They got a lot of the basics but there's still much more needed to be reverse engineered in order to bring that up to XP's level. As they work to get it to XP's level the rest of the world has moved on Windows wise to 10 which isn't even on their radar yet.

You are almost better off installing Linux Mint or something and running STO in Play on Linux/Wine. Which by the way works quite well on my Linux Mint MSI gaming laptop.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Worked for them, But anyone seeking a stabler long term solution would be better served purchasing or obtaining 2nd hand from Ebay, Garage Sale, Ect,, a PS4 for that "STO gaming device"
    If it were possible to actually continue your game on a PS4 instead of starting over from the beginning with nothing, that would be a great solution.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Just FYI, Intel just announced their new Pentium CPUs, which this year are equipped with Hyperthreading. This is an ideal entry level gaming CPU, as it reaches 90% of the performance level of a Core i3 CPU but costs ~25% less. It also includes the same onboard GPU as the higher end Intel chips, which is to say it's not going to win any benchmark awards but it will play games like STO at usable framerates on low settings.

Here's a parts list for a sub-$400 PC that will play STO without too much effort. Add in the OS of your choice (you can get an OEM version of Windows 10 for under $30 if you know how to look) and add your old keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor, and you should be set.

Some Notes:
    * These are all pretty high rated products. You can save some money with alternate parts, but I would not recommend doing so, especially the power supply.
    * I used an entry level 240GB SSD for the build. You can use a drive from an old PC if you want to save money or want more storage, but an upgrade to even a cheap SSD is something that will completely change how you feel about computers so I recommend you keep it and use it as your boot drive and where you install your most played games.
    * The CPU is the new hotness, so it's about $20 over the list price right now. See the note below.
    * I threw in a wireless card, which you can leave out of you have one or can go wired.
    * Only used one stick of RAM so you can upgrade to 16GB later if you really wanted to.
    * If you really want to boost your game performance, for around $100 more you can throw in a RX460 or GTX1050 graphics card. This will let you run STO at medium or high settings depending on the resolution of your monitor.

LASTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:

I don't recommend ANYONE buy a system until after AMD launches their new Ryzen CPUs, supposedly within the next couple months. Prices WILL drop on CPUs once that happens. So, unless you must have a new system now, hold onto the list and wait to see what happens.
    Post edited by jaturnley on
  • Options
    lathaislathais Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    wombat140 wrote: »
    My laptop has a "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family" graphics card. According to things I've foind on a Web search, this should be compatible with DX10 and possibly DX11, but I'm getting the "Support for this video card will end..." message.

What's causing this, should this graphics card be OK? Do I maybe need to install a driver, and if so, what driver and how? I've somehow never had to do drivers before, and don't really know how. Wouldn't want to guess and muck up my graphics card somehow.

(I'm using Vista, not XP, but am intending to switch to Zorin Linux when Vista support ends in spring, assuming they get the Wine/DX10 issue sorted out by then. That way I'll also end up with a laptop with a whole lot more resources available to actually run the game.)

Vista does not support DX11 natively. It was added in a service pack. If you don't have that service pack, you may be able to find it somewhere still, but I doubt it. So it's not the card holding you back, but Windows.
  • Options
    lathaislathais Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    funnily enough a few days ago I was looking at 2nd hand laptops with windows 7 for sale in a well known pawnbrokers shop window and remember thinking I wouldn't even buy a 2nd hand machine with anything less then windows 10 installed, it would just be money down the drain IMO.

It is still possible to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This is provided for those individuals who need to use assistive technologies on the premise that the assistive tech hardware did not support Windows 10 when the free upgrade period for the general public expired.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

yes, you can upgrade to Win10. But I think part of the issue with machines with pre-installed Win7 is that most of them can only run other os that are just as old. Win10 wouldn't work on them due to hardware conflicts. Most Win10 upgrades seem to be from Win8 to Win10. Think you can upgrade to Win10 from Win7, but you have to get the middle upgrade to Win8 first. Of course that was the situation when I got my Win10 machine, but that was when Win10 was first released and it required the Win8 upgrade from Win7 first. So I just went and got a new comp instead. Don't know the current setup Microsoft is using, but they may have changed that requirement since.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the 'free' Win10 upgrade just for those with the Win8 os preinstalled on the new computer when they buy it, sort of a pre-buy win10 offer type thing? You were still buying Win10 with the comp, but you had to wait for the release date to install it, so they gave you Win8 on the system until then. I don't recall a truly free offer for the Win10 OS, although since I already had it, I may have just not paid attention to this.

No, that is just wrong. Not sure why you had to upgrade to 8 first to upgrade to 10, but that is not a thing. W10 was offered for free to users of 7/8/8.1 and is backwards compatible with hardware from that time. No reason why the laptop would not run W10, and seeing as W10 uses less resources than 7/8/8.1, may even improve game experience.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    lathais wrote: »
    My laptop has a "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family" graphics card. According to things I've foind on a Web search, this should be compatible with DX10 and possibly DX11, but I'm getting the "Support for this video card will end..." message.

What's causing this, should this graphics card be OK? Do I maybe need to install a driver, and if so, what driver and how? I've somehow never had to do drivers before, and don't really know how. Wouldn't want to guess and muck up my graphics card somehow.

(I'm using Vista, not XP, but am intending to switch to Zorin Linux when Vista support ends in spring, assuming they get the Wine/DX10 issue sorted out by then. That way I'll also end up with a laptop with a whole lot more resources available to actually run the game.)

Vista does not support DX11 natively. It was added in a service pack. If you don't have that service pack, you may be able to find it somewhere still, but I doubt it. So it's not the card holding you back, but Windows.

There is no need for wombat140 to install the DirectX 11 patch for Vista. He stated the laptop has the "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family" which was released back in 2009. That means he more or less has an Intel GMA 4500m / GMA 4500MHD graphics core in the laptop. It only supports up to DX10.

The first Intel integrated graphics core that supports DX11 is the Intel HD 4000 which was released towards the end of 2011 and it is integrated in the 3rd generation Ivy Bridge Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 CPUs.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    You are almost better off installing Linux Mint or something and running STO in Play on Linux/Wine. Which by the way works quite well on my Linux Mint MSI gaming laptop.

Do you have DX11 working on WINE with Mint?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    tom61sto wrote: »

I have a working STO...

http://i.imgur.com/RkiwQin.jpg

I know that much. As for DX11, if it works great. If not no loss cause I have a working STO.

Be nicer if Cryptic put out native binaries but I'll take what I can get for now.
  • Options
    But will you still have that working STO in April?

Who knows? One thing I do know that given the bugs in this game it's hard to say I have a working STO on Windows these days with memory leaks, crashes, and sometimes crashes that require full reinstall of the game application as well as their Arc client recently. So I figure my odds are just as good with Windows 10 as they are with Linux.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    But will you still have that working STO in April?

Who knows? One thing I do know that given the bugs in this game it's hard to say I have a working STO on Windows these days with memory leaks, crashes, and sometimes crashes that require full reinstall of the game application as well as their Arc client recently. So I figure my odds are just as good with Windows 10 as they are with Linux.
    Just for curiosity, would you say that it actually ran better on Linux (fewer memory leaks, etc.)? I'm interested since STO does not run nicely on my machine at all, although I admit that's probably the fault of low RAM and slow Internet without needing to blame memory leaks.

jaguarskx wrote: »
    lathais wrote: »

There is no need for wombat140 to install the DirectX 11 patch for Vista. He stated the laptop has the "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family" which was released back in 2009. That means he more or less has an Intel GMA 4500m / GMA 4500MHD graphics core in the laptop. It only supports up to DX10.

The first Intel integrated graphics core that supports DX11 is the Intel HD 4000 which was released towards the end of 2011 and it is integrated in the 3rd generation Ivy Bridge Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 CPUs.

Thanks for that, both of you. Actually, the Vista thing isn't a problem as I do already have SP2 installed (which according to a quick Web search is the one that allows you to run DirectX 11). And I've just found out how to check what version of DirectX a computer has installed (Start->Run-> type in "dxdiag"), and apparently mine does have DirectX 11. So it looks like it's either STO imagining things or it's the card.

Hmm, so is the upshot of that that my card won't run STO after March, after all? Or is DirectX 10 OK but not DirectX 9?
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    DirectX has two parts to it; hardware and software. Vista SP2 installed the software part of DX11. However, your integrated graphics core is limited to DX10 so the game will only run with DX10.

You should still be able to play STO in March. Only support for DX9 is being dropped. The only problem I can think is if Intel did mot fully implement DX10 in the GMA 4500 series graphic cores.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    bernatk wrote: »

I would say not even in the same solar system personally

I should have qualified that with, "In my experience."

Glad to have provided some entertainment.
  • Options
    "Just for curiosity, would you say that it actually ran better on Linux (fewer memory leaks, etc.)? I'm interested since STO does not run nicely on my machine at all, although I admit that's probably the fault of low RAM and slow Internet without needing to blame memory leaks."

Changing operating systems won't always fix performance and memory management issues. Especially if the game itself is the problem and not the underlying foundations it is set on. That being said, for what I have run it under Linux it seemed fine to me. it could always be better with native binary support instead of running through Wine.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    @jaguarskx : Thanks. Fingers crossed, then! @nimbull : Oh, of course, but my hope is that since Zorin Linux is so much lighter on resources than Windows Vista (my computer is at 50% RAM used even when it's not doing anything), that would free up a big chunk of RAM for other things. Seriously, I've tried out Zorin on a bootable DVD without actually installing it, and even running out of a DVD the computer was still clearly faster than with Vista! As for the Internet connection, it's not meant to be like that and we keep meaning to have words with our ISP about it. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Winxp was possibly microsofts best operating system,it was reliable like a big shaggy dog and would do everything you wanted,thats why it was more popular than its younger brother vista.
    It was not until win7 hit that an operating system could genuinely replace it.

I stopped using it only because it had lost support from microsoft--so i picked win7 64 bit -microsofts other good operating system,still undecided about win10 tbh.
    Still miss the big shaggy dog winxp to this day.Good times and good gaming.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    silly question, but how many people really ARE running xp? if you are on a mac can't you run win 7 with bootcamp? or run it in a virtual machine? and if you are running a PC with XP, for god's sake loosen your wallet ya cheapskate who are you, Clark Howard?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Just to provide a little perspective to those still running XP....
    I bought a $400 refurbished PC Quad Core 3.1 Ghz i5
    slapped an Nvidia 750ti into it and I'm running the game maxed out.
    The requirements for this game now that it's getting a little long in the tooth is not that high.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,514 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Just to provide a little perspective to those still running XP....
    I bought a $400 refurbished PC Quad Core 3.1 Ghz i5
    slapped an Nvidia 750ti into it and I'm running the game maxed out.
    The requirements for this game now that it's getting a little long in the tooth is not that high.

You could even buy a refurbished core 2 duo or quad systems for under $50, slap in a used 750ti and you're playing STO for under $150.

(The point of the 750ti is it will run on a good 300 watt PSU like a Dell prebuilt, it only needs power from the slot not an extra connector.)

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »

Is STO stoppin DX10 support too?

I don't think STO ever had DX10 support. If you're using a DX10 (or 10.1) card, you were running with the DX9 graphics implementation of STO.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."