Options

Updated System Requirements for Star Trek Online

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    whitewarlock1whitewarlock1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Read the popup more closely. It's more likely that your game is currently set to use DX9, and the launcher is telling you to change it (which it will do anyway on the 15th).

Don't think so (either that or the popup is *really* poorly worded)

Capture2.jpg

it's really frustrating as to the best of my knowledge my system more than meets the requirements and I run other games in DX11.

Also as mentioned I have no option in the ingame options to choose between DX9 and DX11. As I understand it it should appear above the display mode option. This leads me to think that for some reason despite my system supporting dx11 and the gameprefs file noting this, the clients seems to think it doesnt. And I am not running any launcher commandlines at all which might explain the lack of dx11.

Capture.jpg

• Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Weird, that's where the option is on mine:

s1LmACi.png
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    This leads me to think that for some reason despite my system supporting dx11 and the gameprefs file noting this, the clients seems to think it doesnt.

Yes, There is no option to select dx11 because the client cannot confirm AMD drivers. As long as you do not see the dx11 option it is still running on dx9. In the forum only a minority using AMD drivers are able to run on dx11. So you probably need to find out from those minority which drivers they are using and what is their set up.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    I'm sure Vista won't be to far off before the plug is pulled.
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    just a technical question: Right now i have a Nvidia GTX 970, sometimes my Weapons and other effects disappear (especially in CCA but sometimes even in ISA). Would it make sense to get a better Graphics Card, like a GTX1070 or is it more likely that STO itself is the source of those Problems?
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    just a technical question: Right now i have a Nvidia GTX 970, sometimes my Weapons and other effects disappear (especially in CCA but sometimes even in ISA). Would it make sense to get a better Graphics Card, like a GTX1070 or is it more likely that STO itself is the source of those Problems?

I'm running a desktop Nvidia 780 3GB (DX11 & lighting 2.0) and get a "ship briefly disappears then warps in" animation upon occasion when in combat. Pretty sure our issues are game and not video card related. There's quite a few animations in-game not working properly atm. Both our video cards easily meet the full requirements of the game.

On another note I hope those folks posting about DX11 capable video cards available for $75 will solve all your problems realize that many people game on a laptop so that solution is not applicable.

Personally I do light gaming, doffing and admiralty on a laptop for convenience and comfort, serious gaming on a desktop. I'll most likely need to replace my laptop to meet the new system requirements just for this single game I play. Not complaining, but just saying (as nothing last forever), a reasonable quality discrete graphics laptop is a significant outlay for many, myself included.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    A Gaming Laptop would have a discrete DX11/12 Video Card installed in addition to the built in Intel Graphics.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    A Gaming Laptop would have a discrete DX11/12 Video Card installed in addition to the built in Intel Graphics.
    Yes, they would. Both soldered to the motherboard therefore not upgradable (1) (2)

1. there are a few higher end gaming laptops that allow you upgrade the discrete gpu, but this is very rare.
    2. the point I was trying to make in my previous post was that laptops, by design, are not upgradable, therefore it's a costly proposition if they don't meet spec :)

Post edited by protoneous on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    protoneous wrote: »
    On another note I hope those folks posting about DX11 capable video cards available for $75 will solve all your problems realize that many people game on a laptop so that solution is not applicable.
    Yes, the downside to a lot of laptops is lack of upgradability.
    Personally I do light gaming, doffing and admiralty on a laptop for convenience and comfort, serious gaming on a desktop. I'll most likely need to replace my laptop to meet the new system requirements just for this single game I play. Not complaining, but just saying (as nothing last forever), a reasonable quality discrete graphics laptop is a significant outlay for many, myself included.
    OK, the new requirements say:
    If you are budget conscious, any of the following cards will function...
    Intel G965M Express, or Intel HD Graphics 2000 or better
    G965M Express was available in 2010 and HD 2000 was available in 2011. If your laptop is older than 6-7 years old, then I'm sorry but you really are in need of new hardware.

Post edited by gfreeman98 on
  • Options
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    OK, the new requirements say:
    If you are budget conscious, any of the following cards will function...
    Intel G965M Express, or Intel HD Graphics 2000 or better
    G965M Express was available in 2010 and HD 2000 was available in 2011. If your laptop is older than 6-7 years old, then I'm sorry but you really are in need of a new hardware.
    Ah there's no need to apologize ;) I did say in my original post (emphasis in bold)...
    Not complaining, but just saying (as nothing last forever), a reasonable quality discrete graphics laptop is a significant outlay for many, myself included.
    Also emphasis on discrete. Not everybody wants to game on integrated.

But you're entirely right, 6-7 years and you are in need of new hardware so I've gotten my money's worth (and close to 6 years of STO) out of my current 2010 laptop who's Nvidia Geforce GT 330M 512MB does meet spec but is showing it's age (laptop GPU's often run hotter as well). I look forward to being able to game more often and better on a new one, just not the $1799 Canadian / $1399 US price.

Thanks for reposting some budget cards that will get the job done.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Sure. With all the angst on this topic, I responded so others can see that many older machines will still be usable. It's not like everyone needs to rush out and buy the latest and greatest $3000 graphics card just to be able to continue playing.

And yes, all the old truisms still apply:
    desktop > laptop
    discrete > integrated

But if you do have a laptop with integrated graphics, chances are you're still fine. Just don't expect to be able to run with all the eye candy.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    So I take it there's not going to be any improvements to the god-awful post-patch loading times with DX11? Each new patch causes a complete rebuild of the shader cache, and it's only with DX11 that my Intel GPU starts taking hours (okay, half an hour tops, but still) to sort everything out.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Not trying to necro a thread, but as the last post was only 10 days ago, maybe it's just comatose and not dead...

Anyway, I took the advice of a previous post... I removed the command line code "-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9", logged in using safe mode, set my graphics to DX11, and have been logging in alright for a few weeks now. However, since I did this, I am getting almost constant crashes on load screens... To the point where it's tedious to play anything...

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Crashes or hanging? For the latter there's a solution.

Other than that, not enough info to go on. Suggest you:
    1. Log a Support ticket (from here, not in-game); they may be able to give you useful advice.
    2. Post your system specs & game settings in the Support forum here.
  • Options
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Sure. With all the angst on this topic, I responded so others can see that many older machines will still be usable. It's not like everyone needs to rush out and buy the latest and greatest $3000 graphics card just to be able to continue playing.

And yes, all the old truisms still apply:
    desktop > laptop
    discrete > integrated

But if you do have a laptop with integrated graphics, chances are you're still fine. Just don't expect to be able to run with all the eye candy.
    We had exchanged posts in the previous page. Many thanks for a post that got me doing a little research and comparison, especially the part in bold. I compared the performance of the 6 year old discrete graphics card in my current laptop and a 2 year old integrated card on a planned possible replacement laptop. Integrated graphics have come a long way as it blows my old discrete out of the water (newer discrete graphics are even better).

Here's the comparison gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-330M-vs-Intel-Iris-Pro-HD-6100-Mobile/m7739vsm25925 It would seem in this case the proposed upgrade would most likely result in more eye-candy even though going from discrete to integrated.

Cheers.
  • Options
    imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    @crm14916 Try turning on "Reduced File Streaming" in the Advanced options of STO (then reboot STO). That seemed to fix my crashing at loadscreen problem.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    @imperatorpaveli thank you for the suggestion... seems to have taken care of the problem so far... will post back here if something else goes wrong :)

Anyway, on that note, what does the "reduce file streaming" option do, anyhow?

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    Yes the hanging on map transfer issue was what I suspected.

This was discussed here:
    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13120617
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    I'm returning this thread to the top of the page, in case some people were unaware these changes are happening this week.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    1kgxk3.jpg
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2017
    For those of you who will no longer be with us....

funny-picture-wondows-xp.jpg
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    FWIW, tried DX11 with Wine 2.1-staging (the latest build currently available for PlayOn, they have some issues with autobuilding Wine 2.x) on my Ubuntu box last weekend...

It's still slower than DX 9, but not as much as with 1.9 or 2.0, and Lights 2.0 almost work (they're still nowhere near playable.)

So, I'm not quitting, but I probably won't be playing as much either, not until Wine DX11 is sped up considerably.
  • Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    nebfab wrote: »
    FWIW, tried DX11 with Wine 2.1-staging (the latest build currently available for PlayOn, they have some issues with autobuilding Wine 2.x) on my Ubuntu box last weekend...

It's still slower than DX 9, but not as much as with 1.9 or 2.0, and Lights 2.0 almost work (they're still nowhere near playable.)

So, I'm not quitting, but I probably won't be playing as much either, not until Wine DX11 is sped up considerably.

But does it work at all? I got the 2.1-staging version (was using 2.0 lately) and I still get the same message about my video card stopping to work tomorrow. The card is just an Intel HD 530 GPU integrated with my new i7. It shows that way at the Display options, and it supports DX11, but only DX9 and DX9-EX options available.
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Welp, looks like I'm building my desktop sooner than expected.

This old HP DV7-3165dx ain't gonna cut it anymore.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    starrfirestarrfire Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    My laptop says it has Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. It lists Directx Version: DirectX 12. Today when I went to log in, I downloaded the patch and it said:

"Unsupported video card. You will be unable to play using your current Video Card. Please upgrade your video card to one that supports DirectX Hardware Feature Level 10 or higher. See your Video Card's manufacturer's documentation for information on DirectX Hardware Feature Level Support."

I posted earlier on this thread when it was announced about the changes, and I was told that my laptop should still work. Someone said that DirectX 10 still works and my laptop can use DirectX 10, but I not sure I understand. My computer lists DirectX 12 as being what is on my laptop. Why isn't DirectX12 working if I have it on my computer?

I also tried to download a copy of DirectX 10 and after I went to install it, it said:

"DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary." And then it doesn't let me do anything other than close the download.

I don't know a whole lot about computers, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.
    Can anyone tell me what do I need to change to make STO run again? If there is someway to do it without purchasing a new computer I would really appreciate any help.

• Options
    dartalexizm#8171 dartalexizm Member Posts: 1 New User
    No money for a new video card :( . The video card nvidia geforce 7600 gs. But I have is windows 7 and directX 10.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Wow, the 7600 GS is like the first GPU I ever had on my old Windows XP Media Center Edition desktop PC in 2004/5.
  • Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Well... my 2nd day in windows and the game already crashed. Ty Cryptic.
    Plus, here you can hear the hard disc working (read/write?) too much, that didn't happen on linux.
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Will my crappy dual core 1.8 ghz intel processor still be able to run the game? I'm pretty sure my GTX 260 will be fine, but I'm not sure about that processor, which sucks, because changing that means changing motherboard and RAM too (I have DDR2 cards in my pc). It would be pretty costly for me and I don't have a lot of money for upgrades unfortunately. To make things worse, just recently I had to buy a new PSU, because my old one died. Either way it sucks to be me.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!