Updated System Requirements for Star Trek Online

Comments

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    carter60 wrote: »
    Yup it's dx 10 you can play.

even after march 1?

have a good day

Yes, you will be able to play even after March 1st.

The only thing you can't do is turn on Lighting 2.0 which based on my experience with a 5 year old laptop that only has a graphics core which supports DirectX 10, requires a graphics chip / core that is compatible with DirectX 11.
  • Options
    b4rnhb4rnh Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Well this is me saying goodbye. It's been a lot of fun for the last 3 years, but I can't afford a new laptop for a LONG time. I guess there's no point in completing the winter event now either......
  • Options
    crazyphil487crazyphil487 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Ok so I'm getting the "you're running WinXP and DX9" popup, but I'm using Win10 and, according to dxdiag, DX12. My GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 7800 series running the most recent drivers downloaded via the Display Adapter Properties control panel. The game client is supposed to run in Win8 compatibile mode, but the launcher isn't, and neither is Steam (how I downloaded this install of the game). What's the issue?

System Information
    Time of this report: 12/16/2016, 00:54:51
    Machine name: [REDACTED]
    Machine Id: [REDACTED]
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161208-2252)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: [REDACTED]
    BIOS: BIOS Date: [REDACTED]
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8128MB RAM
    Page File: 4437MB used, 6506MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found

/snip

Also there's no way to select DX 11 or better in my client after a reinstall.

EDIT: Redacted for privacy
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Ok so I'm getting the "you're running WinXP and DX9" popup, but I'm using Win10 and, according to dxdiag, DX12. My GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 7800 series running the most recent drivers downloaded via the Display Adapter Properties control panel. The game client is supposed to run in Win8 compatibile mode, but the launcher isn't, and neither is Steam (how I downloaded this install of the game). What's the issue?

System Information
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161208-2252)

/snip

Ok once your ingame go into option select display then just above the fullscreen/windowed option you will see your directx settings now use that and select directx11 and voila your set.

had to have fleetmate talk me through it also :)
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I saw in the patch notes for today the line "Windows XP users no longer experience a crash when trying to log in." 12/15/2016 Patch Notes

Is this related to the crash on load screen for those who have DX9 issues?

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User

System Information

/snip

Ok once your ingame go into option select display then just above the fullscreen/windowed option you will see your directx settings now use that and select directx11 and voila your set.

Joran, thanks for posting this...

However, I mentioned in an earlier post (not necessarily related to yours above) that I have to use a code in the command line to override the DX9 issue in order to even get past the load screen. Now, I can find the location in the Options menu to tell it what to use, but I am already overriding with the command line... How does this work, given the options you are talking about?

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    crazyphil487crazyphil487 Member Posts: 19 Arc User

System Information

/snip

Ok, it seems that the option to select either DX9 or DX11 is missing on the Steam client all together, so my second problem is solved. And as for the first, there is a whole other thread concerning non-detection of the latest AMD drivers.
  • Options
    bwbriscoebwbriscoe Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Although not technically supported, will I still be able to play on Windows 10 through Parallels on Mac?
  • Options
    rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    Your all in one (ugh who runs these no upgradability?) May also be suffering from less than enough memory(usually Dell(especially Dell) and other brands only include the minimum windows requirement of Ram(memory) to run the pc/laptop. If it can be upgraded that may help. also does the software allow you to share more memory with the vid card as on an integrated thats exactly what happens usualy 256-700 and some odd MB get shared with the GPU on the integrateds.
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!
  • Options
    rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    in otherwords after Anniversary 7, sto closes doors. Cause when 2/3's can't play anymore qwithout dropping 1k or more to update or replace a system that other games run fine on they'll go broke. they did it only took 7 years they found a way to kill STO.
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    No issues with dx11 at all. If anything the game is more stable then before. Win10 upgrade from 8.1 on a quadcore laptop. With believe it or not and AMD Radeon 7640g built in. I have no clue why people are crashing with win10 on AMD's. I know there was a driver issue (crimson?) when 10 first came out but asfik that was fixed by AMD a very long time ago.
    Post edited by ssbn655 on
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    i have a sapphire radeon hd 4870 grapihcs card. will i be albe to keep playing sto?

Guy run this...dxdiag It will tell you what version you are running. Sadly I did some digging and it seems your card will not support 11.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    rjewkes wrote: »
    in otherwords after Anniversary 7, sto closes doors. Cause when 2/3's can't play anymore qwithout dropping 1k or more to update or replace a system that other games run fine on they'll go broke.
    Really, 2/3 of STO players run outdated, obsolete PCs? You know this how? I'll save you the trouble of answering: you don't.

I know Steam collects client stats, and the launcher and/or other game components may as well. So I'd expect Cryptic has a pretty good idea of how many people this decision will really affect. Since they're making the change, obviously they've concluded that number won't cause a material drop in the player base.

Edit:
    And for those that do need an upgrade, it certainly doesn't cost "1k" for a modern video card that meets the new requirements.

Post edited by gfreeman98 on
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016

System Information

/snip

Ok, it seems that the option to select either DX9 or DX11 is missing on the Steam client all together, so my second problem is solved. And as for the first, there is a whole other thread concerning non-detection of the latest AMD drivers.

You have to log into the game then select options
    You know the little gear on the mini map?

Ok once in there then click on display if it isnt already there by default

Now as i mentioned just above the pull down where you can selected windows or fullscreen
    you should find the directx settings pull down menu, no click on it and select directx 11 , the game will need to be restarted and you should be good to go.
    crm14916 wrote: »

System Information

/snip

But you have to log completley in you cant find those options in either steam or arc , you have to log all the way in.

Note : You have to log completley into the game, you wont find these option in either ARC or Steam.

Joran, thanks for posting this...

However, I mentioned in an earlier post (not necessarily related to yours above) that I have to use a code in the command line to override the DX9 issue in order to even get past the load screen. Now, I can find the location in the Options menu to tell it what to use, but I am already overriding with the command line... How does this work, given the options you are talking about?

Thanks!
    CM

Yeah im not a very computer savvy guy i had to have my fleetmate walk me through it , i got lost a few times and took the right turn at albaqurque a couple time , but once i got the gist of what he was saying it was simple.

Is your physical cards up to date? not really sure but you might ned to replace your physical cards.
  • Options
    seems i cant edit my posts for some reason so will add

You need to log all the way in the game, you wont find those settings in ARC or Steam options.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Edit:
    And for those that do need an upgrade, it certainly doesn't cost "1k" for a modern video card that meets the new requirements.

I suspect that a lot of people running XP are doing so on old hardware that won't support current video cards. (But then it's been over a decade since I've bought a video card. Also, a new system, sans monitor can be had for around $400 pretty easily.)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    swamarian wrote: »
    I suspect that a lot of people running XP are doing so on old hardware that won't support current video cards.
    Video cards have been based on PCI Express for years, and motherboards with PCI Express have been available for over a decade. STO was released in 2010, and the minimum requirements back then were PCI Express GPUs, so there was never any AGP support to begin with. Thus most people playing STO now have a system that should be easily upgradeable just by plopping in a new GPU. And based on the pricing I saw for the new minimum requirements, we're talking about $75 for the low end.

Sure there will be some folks with systems so old they're not worth upgrading, which means they need a replacement anyway. Being able to continue playing STO would be only one of the benefits.

swamarian wrote: »
    Also, a new system, sans monitor can be had for around $400 pretty easily.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    fusionax77fusionax77 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I think the biggest problem is that it comes as a bit of a cold truth for people. Some of STO's playerbase I imagine don't actually play many games at all, at least on PC and probably see no real reason to upgrade when STO runs fine enough on their old Windows XP machine. Heck, it could be running magnificently on those hypothetical (yet probably also still real) rigs with great framerates, but it doesn't make the sting of being forced to upgrade any weaker. While I'm on that tangent, just flat out telling people to upgrade doesn't really help matters, in my experience.

I expect that the ability to switch Lighting 2.0 on and off will eventually just be flat-out disabled and forced on in much a similar manner... And that Nukara won't be touched for months before and afterwards.
  • Options
    Yeah I can relate. My current rig is custom-built, but it's not super extreme top-end. I recently upgraded it based on the price/performance of what was available at the time. It was about 7 years between first build and upgrade.

Part of my reason for upgrading was the impending Win10 update. I would have been happy staying on Win7, but the reality of MS support outweighed nostalgia. Same thing when I upgraded from WinXP to Win7. I ran XP for a good 7 or 8 years before relenting. MS "forced" me to upgrade both times. But the outcome is I have a fully supported, modern system that will last for years to come.
  • Options
    rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    This assuming you used dxdiag.exe or other tool and determined or otherwise surely know your OS supports DX11 (or 12) and card/GPU/IGP supports DX10 or up. (preferably DX11-12 but should work hopefully for your old DX10-10.1 card)
    System tab on Dxdiag shows what your OS supports. Display tab DDI shows what your card/GPU/IGP supports. You also should have updated drivers as possible.

This assumes you can't or didn't move to DX11 and are getting a message regarding XP/DX9 despite not using XP or another non supported system, and having a card supporting DX10/10.1/11 or 12 and having updated correct drivers. If any of the assumptions above is false, this post is not for you personally.

This also assumes you MIGHT have a residual, no longer needed command line switch on your launcher, forcing DX9 and/or disabling DX11. This was the reason the post was written (for @crazyphil487 's case /E: also @crm14916 , I see), and the possible reason why only DX9 variants are now shown as an option on STO, however I added more of my newbie personal experience regarding switching to DX11 option on an old laptop with DX10.1 card.

When it's time, people with SUPPORTED card (at or above DX10 so to speak) on SUPPORTED OS, who in the past put a command line/switch forcing DX9 or disabling DX11 in their client, may probably like to carefully remove it from command line, else they won't get an option to set to DX11. You don't have much to lose when you get the note DX9 not supported anymore, once it will not be supported anymore. Still, one needs/may like to consider some things ahead. You may also get an advice ahead from a knowledgeable friend/fleet member or in channel etc. (I am not knowledgeable BTW)

Take notes and screenshots of your settings on both launcher and display/graphics/advanced etc just in case. Some settings you may have to change too.

My personal account on that regard on a low end 10.1 IGP, your mileage may vary.
    This launcher change should be possibly done, just in case, after putting "AUTO" in dx settings in-game so that a check on next game restart is made initially (later the dx11 option should be available for supported cards on supported OS if all goes right), and ...sometimes you sadly need to set your interface resolution scale to a value SLIGHTLY bellow 1.0 (can be done by /renderscale 0.98 for example, or by options -> display) since lighting update (and there seem to be some memory allocation issue), at least my very old low end 10.1 integrated "GPU"/IGP (on win 7 OS) required that, even if not supporting lighting 2.0 at all (as it requires DX11). Another thing - windowed maximized screen might also be needed.

It may take time. Settings might reset and you may get some notes in this regard or minor error-like messages when such/initial setup happens but if all goes right it will continue. Be careful not to set things too high to begin with, and only up carefully gradually. For me, once changed the interface scaling to something slightly bellow 1.0, (e.g. 0.98 or 0.96) and choosing windowed maximized, it runs now pretty much or totally without new issues as far as I know. As always settings are very low for me and lightning 2.0 is not supported in my case - it is only for a real DX11 card+OS.

I am not knowledgeable, but even so, apologizing for not being able to chose the words here well, and for writing in a so lengthy way.
    <fixed a big "oops" in edit, sorry about that>
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I'm gonna miss DX9...if only because some of the eye-searingly flashy ability FX were less eye-searingly flashy on DX9.

Better is not always better.
  • Options
    banshirbanshir Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    i have a sapphire radeon hd 4870 grapihcs card. will i be albe to keep playing sto?

Guy run this...dxdiag It will tell you what version you are running. Sadly I did some digging and it seems your card will not support 11.

It doesn't need to support DX11. It only needs to support DX10 which it does. He's fine.
  • Options
    stan2750stan2750 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Well I am getting ready to buy a new PC Tower. Since my AMD Phenom 2 920 2.8ghz rig just finally died after so many perfect years of service. ):-(

The A10 7800 should be able to run this game fine. I currently run it on a A10 Laptop with R6 graphics... So the Desktop version should be even better with R7. And thats just the integrated radeon R7 graphics.

FYI DX10 has been around since the Radeon HD 3800 series...Correct me if I am wrong, so most mid range graphics cards the last few years should not have an issue.

my core i3 duel core laptop 1.9ghz with intel 4000 graphics also plays STO well.
  • Options
    banshirbanshir Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    stan2750 wrote: »
    FYI DX10 has been around since the Radeon HD 3800 series...Correct me if I am wrong, so most mid range graphics cards the last few years should not have an issue.

HD 2900 was the first DX10 Radeon. I used to play STO with a card I purchased in 2007. That's ten years ago. You seriously would have to go out of your way to buy a $30 card to get something worse than that.
  • Options
    salvation4salvation4 Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    I dont think this move would hurt the player base that much because people would be upgradingtheir systems regularly to keep up with the OS's, latest being 7/8/8.1/10..Yes 7 is light on the system and 10 has issues with itself and hardware..BUT people using XP, man they need to do a massive change because XP support is long gone so is the hardware of that time..Heck my system is obsolete also..In $400 you can get a decent upgrade..

My current system (7 years old in march 2017 but with regular small upgrades).
    Intel Core2Quad 2.66GHz (Obsolete now with 6th Gen i3/5/7 and Kabylake series in bound))
    Intel Desktop Board DG43GT (Obsolete and intel aint making boards no more only the chipset)
    EVM 8GB DDR2 800MHz Ram (Long gone because of DDR3/3L & 4)
    Sparkle GTX560 1GB GDDR5 (Going or gone into legacy although it supports DX12 as per Nvidia)

My system upgrade this month end ($400)
    Gigabyte/Asus H170 series Board (Z170 is way outta budget cant imagine what the X series would cost)
    Intel i3-6100 6th gen (i5 bit expensive for me at near double price of an i3)
    HyperX 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
    Galaxy GTX1060 3GB GDDR5

In the upgrade the GTX1060 costs $200..

You really want to change the monitor only if you are going the 1080P/1440 route..STO needs to evovle to keep up with other titles..My personal opinion really.. :)
    Adrian-Uss Sovereign NCC-73811 (LVL 65 FED ENG) UR/E MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (April 2012) (Main)
    Adu-Uss Firefox NCC-93425-F (LVL 65 FED AoY ENG) UR/VR MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (July 2016)
    Jean-Uss Seratoga Ravenna (LVL 60 FED Delta ENG) UC/R MKVI Bajoran Escort (April 2018)
    Dubsa-RRW Mnaudh (LVL 50 FED allied ROM Delta ENG) Warbird (May 2018)
    Marop-IKS Orunthi (LVL 50 KNG Delta ENG) BoP (May 2018)
    Kanak'lan-TRIBBLE (LVL 65 DOM Gamma ENG) TRIBBLE (June 2018)
  • Options
    salvation4salvation4 Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    As for DX, I saw DX11 in February 2010 with rebellions Aliens Vs Predator..Its been close to 7 years since and we have moved thru DX11.1, DX 12 and now DX12.1..So its only logical for cryptic to bring STO into the DX11 realm otherwise they'll be to far behind to even catch up with the trail end of line games..
    Adrian-Uss Sovereign NCC-73811 (LVL 65 FED ENG) UR/E MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (April 2012) (Main)
    Adu-Uss Firefox NCC-93425-F (LVL 65 FED AoY ENG) UR/VR MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (July 2016)
    Jean-Uss Seratoga Ravenna (LVL 60 FED Delta ENG) UC/R MKVI Bajoran Escort (April 2018)
    Dubsa-RRW Mnaudh (LVL 50 FED allied ROM Delta ENG) Warbird (May 2018)
    Marop-IKS Orunthi (LVL 50 KNG Delta ENG) BoP (May 2018)
    Kanak'lan-TRIBBLE (LVL 65 DOM Gamma ENG) TRIBBLE (June 2018)
  • Options
    bwbriscoebwbriscoe Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    What about Windows 10 through Parallels for Mac?
  • Options
    revsmithrevsmith Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    capemike4 wrote: »

Guess that's my only viable option, at present...; this PC just turned 3 years old in September, and I've been playing STO since that time...; upgrading the card isn't an option, as the PC has an integrated card, and, as my Austistic Spectrum Disorder prevents me from any kind of meaningful employment, aside from Seasonal work(if I'm lucky), I can ill-afford a new PC for the foreseeable future unless this one fails....

Thanks, and I'll just have to see what I can do....

Having built in graphics usually does not precude adding a video card, I did on my AMD win 10 box and it improved things greatly. Just find out waht bus (slots) you have and install the card.

• Options
    whitewarlock1whitewarlock1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I'm kinda scratching my head at this point (I did post in the graphics section of the tech support forum a month or so back about the problem but have got nowhere).

Am running Windows 7 premium on a Intel I5-2500 chip with Radeon HD7850 graphics card and 8GB of RAM. And keep getting the popup about my system not supporting DX11 on the launcher. Except I regularly play Final Fantasy XIV in Dx11 mode so go figure. I'm not running any command prompts on the launcher and on the display options screen there is no option above the windows/fullscreen option where I am lead to believe the dx9/dx11 choices ought to be. The gameprefs file in the STO localdata folder notes that DX11 is supported by my system. I have tried a temporary upgrade to Windows 10 and no joy and fresh clean installs of both graphics drivers and STO itself have likewise produced no luck.

Anyone got any ideas what on earth is going on?
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    I'm kinda scratching my head at this point (I did post in the graphics section of the tech support forum a month or so back about the problem but have got nowhere).

Am running Windows 7 premium on a Intel I5-2500 chip with Radeon HD7850 graphics card and 8GB of RAM. And keep getting the popup about my system not supporting DX11 on the launcher. Except I regularly play Final Fantasy XIV in Dx11 mode so go figure. I'm not running any command prompts on the launcher and on the display options screen there is no option above the windows/fullscreen option where I am lead to believe the dx9/dx11 choices ought to be. The gameprefs file in the STO localdata folder notes that DX11 is supported by my system. I have tried a temporary upgrade to Windows 10 and no joy and fresh clean installs of both graphics drivers and STO itself have likewise produced no luck.

Anyone got any ideas what on earth is going on?

Read the popup more closely. It's more likely that your game is currently set to use DX9, and the launcher is telling you to change it (which it will do anyway on the 15th).

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg