test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feedback to Cryptic: Suggestions for next Winter/Summer event

Since this year's Winter Event is coming to an end I thought Cryptic might appreciate some constructive feedback from us. I take it upon myself to thank Cryptic for their efforts on behalf of the community. To anyone posting in this thread, keep it civil and Cryptic is more likely to actually read your feedback.

Personally I will only add one suggestion. There's been some concern over the years over the mechanism of the PvP races, both in the Winter and Summer events, and I won't repeat those concerns here. I will only suggest one simple solution:

* Make all PvP tags unbound and tradable.

This will allow the PvP content to remain unchanged. It will allow people who enjoy the races to do more of them and earn something from their extra tags and it will give less motivated people an alternative way to obtain tags. The metrics will probably show that less people do the PvP content but the total number of races is assumed to be the same or even larger with the added benefit of removing frustration from customers who feel forced to do the races to earn tags. The game economy will have yet another way to grow and a growing economy is good for the game as is also true in the real world. Please consider this change at your earliest convenience unless there are some major caveats that my ignorance make me blissfully unaware of.
---
"-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I see that as a bad idea, as the epohh/monkey you get with tags are random and the outcome of raising is also random you must assume you will possibly be left with the least rewarding epohh/monkey at the outcome.
    the sale of tags would only encourage players to charge grossly unfair and extortionate prices for what amounts to the buyers gaining a random and unknowable reward.
    this smacks to me as gambling maybe gambling for only EC but still gambling none the less.
    this is only accentuated by the fact that some EC might have been gained by the sale of items that were bought using zen and hence real money.
    don't you think that there is enough things in the game that are akin to gambling without adding more to the mix.

if players want epohh enough theres nothing stopping them doing the races even if they only come last they can still easily get the number of tags required to buy the 1 epohh/monkey a day you can start raising anyway.

perhaps if you have more tags then you need you could just lay off the race's and give the not so good racers a chance instead and then they might be more willing to give it a go.

if they dont want to race they cant be all that bothered about getting an epohh/monkey anyway IMO.

why not make it so players can sell their epohh/monkey instead, at least that way the buyer knows exactly what they are getting but if you want to make a killing on the exchange there are many items in the winter and summer event that are saleable anyway so if you have enough tags to last you why not go and do something else instead.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Gambling is the foundation that games like STO is built upon. It allows Cryptic to earn enough money to keep the game running. Binding items is a classic way to increase gambling and grinding and is a natural consequence of this game design philosophy. I can agree with you that I wish things were different but I understand and accept things for what they are in this case.

My suggestion above allows the amount of gambling to remain at a constant level (or even increase for the sake of Cryptic's metrics) but be skewed towards the players who either have better abilities for it or have a higher motivation to do it. Unbinding and monetizing the tags will increase motivation for many players as well as giving an alternative way of acquiring them for people who are less motivated.
    ---
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    1. Fix red and green Epohh trade in.
    2. Increase rewards for Fishing.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    I think its highly likely the devs chose to bind tags so players such as yourself would not monopolise on the race or the tags they reward and just stop racing when you have all you need so others who have lesser abilities don't have to race against players with better abilities all of the time and might have a better chance of winning once in a while.

like I said, if you don't need the tags just go and do something else instead.

• Options
    valarauko43valarauko43 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    As it is now I only need to finish the race 3 times a day. I never need to win. The only gamble is whether I get 100 or 200 marks at the end of the growth cycle. The only time I might even consider buying or selling a single tag is if I had a third place finish and found myself with an odd numbr of tags, but third place is avoidable if there are four players in the race. I just try for last. A question. Can you buy reputation marks with EC? I have only been at this a few years and may have missed the memo. Last question. How does Cryptic profit from players selling tags on the exchange?
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Suggestion for the Summer event? T6 Pilot Corvette and Cruiser, naturally, with enhanced consoles that hopefully address the broken Corvette console.

With the release of STO-console, I'm sure they'll need something T6 Risian so it can be subsequently retired into the awesome new event choice box.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    How does Cryptic profit from players selling tags on the exchange?
    They don't. They profit from the people BUYING tags on the Exchange. The buyers need EC for this and some of them will statistically get that EC through buying keys in the C-store and selling it.

---
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    the sale of tags would only encourage players to charge grossly unfair and extortionate prices for what amounts to the buyers gaining a random and unknowable reward.
    There are no such things as "grossly unfair and extortionate prices," only prices at which someone is willing to buy and prices at which they are not.
    How does Cryptic profit from players selling tags on the exchange?
    How does Cryptic profit from players NOT selling tags on the exchange?
  • Options
    satai07satai07 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    As it is now I only need to finish the race 3 times a day. I never need to win. The only gamble is whether I get 100 or 200 marks at the end of the growth cycle. The only time I might even consider buying or selling a single tag is if I had a third place finish and found myself with an odd numbr of tags, but third place is avoidable if there are four players in the race. I just try for last. A question. Can you buy reputation marks with EC? I have only been at this a few years and may have missed the memo. Last question. How does Cryptic profit from players selling tags on the exchange?

Or you get zero marks because your inventory is filled with Cherry and Extreme Lime Epohhs. I have a characters that hasn't been able to turn in an Epohh in a week despite burning six tags every day. If they need room in the store, delete the pup options.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,505 Community Moderator
    I would like to see the Winter Wonderland map accessible year round like the Risa Summer Event map. I seem to recall years ago it being stated that Q's Winter Wonderland was actually on Andoria. That notion seems to have fallen by the wayside. In any event, I would suggest making the Winter Wonderland map accessible from Andoria and Rura Penthe, that way players can have year round access for winter fun the same as they can the summer activities on Risa.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    chucktcchucktc Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    The PvP downhill needs track work. I was disqualified for leaving the track while in the air when making the jump to the lower track, wth? I had landed on the track! Is there a roof on the track, and if so how do the cats stay fair? Also I'm tired of being thrown sideways out of bounds, when landing short, by the ditch. That and the killer lane marker that fails you if you touch it. It's the only one like it on the PvP or PvE races I know.
  • Options
    chucktc wrote: »
    The PvP downhill needs track work. I was disqualified for leaving the track while in the air when making the jump to the lower track, wth? I had landed on the track! Is there a roof on the track, and if so how do the cats stay fair? Also I'm tired of being thrown sideways out of bounds, when landing short, by the ditch. That and the killer lane marker that fails you if you touch it. It's the only one like it on the PvP or PvE races I know.
    True, the track has unnecessarily strict bounds. The jump especially, with the highly unpredictable landing bounce if you land short. What's the point of having disqualifying borders in a canyon anyway? The only part where you could theoretically take a shortcut is in the first corner, otherwise there's always a wall in the way.
  • Options
    I find the best way to handle the "cliff jump" is to jump from the little high point to the right. There is a bump right in front of it that will deflect you, so you just jump over it, too. So:
    1. Out of the gate, jump the rocks.
    2. Drift right, roll when you are lined up with the next rocks.
    3. Run with the rocks, they'll act like a rail, keeping you on track.
    4. Drift left until you are lined up with the bump and the jump, roll.
    5. Jump bump, jump jump.
    6. Drift left until you are lined up with the gap between all the rocks, roll & run straight.
    7. Drift right at the corner, roll toward the gap in the rocks.
    8. Run run run. Grab a flag.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    My suggestion for the next summer event is the same as always:
    Yellow Science Vessel Submarine

My suggestion for the next winter event is the same as alwasy:
    More stuff with ice-skating

Next time you sit on a dev lap ( ;) ) @ambassadorkael#6946, can you get this on track? ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    this is kinda a scary thread.
    See, if they actually look at it, you may find that next year the only thing to do is a "Snowman Staring Contest."
  • Options
    bergins wrote: »
    1. Fix red and green Epohh trade in.
    2. Increase rewards for Fishing.
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    3. Snowman Staring Contest

• Options
    samnun77samnun77 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    It is getting a bit boring...perhaps better to add:

-Ice dancing contest (similar to dancing contest to summer)
    -Snowball fight PvP...NOT boring PvE
    -Fight snow mugatos rather than snowman..like the cave mugato but more expanded.
    -Give out Feenguis ships rather than Breen. Not enough Breen around to make a 6th or 7th go around.
  • Options
    samnun77 wrote: »
    -Give out Feenguis ships rather than Breen. Not enough Breen around to make a 6th or 7th go around.

WTH is a Feenguis?
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    samnun77 wrote: »

WTH is a Feenguis?

Perhaps it's a type of mushroom.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    There are no such things as "grossly unfair and extortionate prices," only prices at which someone is willing to buy and prices at which they are not.

during the winter event the most you can get for 6 tags is an end result of 100 marks, 200 marks or a winter epohh pet I would put the price of 1 tag at around 20EC or 6 tags for 120EC, anything above 25EC per tag or 150EC for 6 tags would be a grossly unfair and extortionate price IMO.
    the return value of marks or pet you are gaining for your EC expenditure simply does not warrant any more then this amount, whats the betting that the EC price for tags far out measures this amount if selling tags was allowed.

the mere fact that some players might not realise they are being fleeced does not give any merit to the comment you have just made.

its not like tags are a particularly rare or hard to get item after all, or for that matter takes any great amount of time for the better players to earn in great quantities.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• Options

during the winter event the most you can get for 6 tags is an end result of 100 marks, 200 marks or a winter epohh pet I would put the price of 1 tag at around 20EC or 6 tags for 120EC, anything above 25EC per tag or 150EC for 6 tags would be a grossly unfair and extortionate price IMO.
    the return value of marks or pet you are gaining for your EC expenditure simply does not warrant any more then this amount, whats the betting that the EC price for tags far out measures this amount if selling tags was allowed.

the mere fact that some players might not realise they are being fleeced does not give any merit to the comment you have just made.
    Yes, well, you and your low opinion on the value of pets would be free to not buy any.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Yes, well, you and your low opinion on the value of pets would be free to not buy any.

my value is calculated on the number of marks cryptic puts on the pets themselves.
    you cannot possibly justify paying any more then the maximum price I quoted for a measly 100 or 200 marks value or the pet that cryptic have placed this value on.

I placed the price of 25EC as the maximum as the results are unpredictable but if we work out that 6 tags is valued at an average of 150 marks by cryptic then you cant surely believe that 150 marks is worth any more then 150EC or 1EC per mark if you like.

• Options

my value is calculated on the number of marks cryptic puts on the pets themselves.
    you cannot possibly justify paying any more then the maximum price I quoted for a measly 100 or 200 marks value or the pet that cryptic have placed this value on.

I placed the price of 25EC as the maximum as the results are unpredictable but if we work out that 6 tags is valued at an average of 150 marks by cryptic then you cant surely believe that 150 marks is worth any more then 150EC or 1EC per mark if you like.
    Don't you know there are pets in this game that sell for tens of millions? Put 3-4 zeroes at the end of your estimates and you're in the ballpark.

Of course, the actual market price would depend on how much people would farm them to sell. Still, seeing as the most likely payout of the race is just 2 tags, I can't see a lot of people bothering to race for under 25k a tag. That's like what, one or two pieces of vendor trash off a random space battle.

You seem to think EC is worth a lot more than it is.
  • Options
    plagis34plagis34 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Some changes I would like to see:

1. Fix the cherry epohh redemption.( I am sure this will be done, but since they didn't manage to get it done during the event it needs to be said)
    2. I would like to see the pets removed from both the winter/summer races. If you enter a race, your pets disappear and cannot be re-spawned until you finish. Players have the whole zone to run around with pets out, they don't need to be in the races as well.(this will make more sense after my next point)
    3. In the spirit of all things Q, I would love a bit of mayhem and make the winter race a random animal/creature race like the ones that Q transforms you into.( this is why no pets- what a mess that would be trying to keep straight).
    Plus, it would be a nice change from all the macro-pounding, bunny-hopping goofs.
    Or just make us all flopping gummy fish, and have us try to make it over the first cliff.That would be funny.
  • Options
    ketwolski#6374 ketwolski Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Would it be weird if they swapped the events one year? Have Q run a summertime event somewhere and winter on Risa?

Building sand-snowmen on Risa and watching Q wear singlasses while drinking from a coconut sounds like a fun way to mix things up
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Loved the addition of Klingon Ice Fishing this year! Was a lot of fun and one of the more hysterical activities in the game. Very nicely done, thank you.

One small change would be to move the location of the pie eating contest. I still notice getting thrown into combat while stuffing my face if the village is under attack.

a good place would be at the gazeebo or closer to the entrance of the gingebread village

Have to agree the ice fishing was a riot enjoyed it alot and look forward to doing it again next year :)
  • Options
    Would it be weird if they swapped the events one year? Have Q run a summertime event somewhere and winter on Risa?

Building sand-snowmen on Risa and watching Q wear singlasses while drinking from a coconut sounds like a fun way to mix things up

It would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Don't you know there are pets in this game that sell for tens of millions? Put 3-4 zeroes at the end of your estimates and you're in the ballpark.

Of course, the actual market price would depend on how much people would farm them to sell. Still, seeing as the most likely payout of the race is just 2 tags, I can't see a lot of people bothering to race for under 25k a tag. That's like what, one or two pieces of vendor trash off a random space battle.

You seem to think EC is worth a lot more than it is.

what other pets sell for is of no consequence as they cannot be bought for tags that cryptic have placed a value of 0EC on and other pets cannot be exchanged for marks, besides this is not the pets you are selling anyway only the tags you require to start raising the pets and as gaining the tags is the quick and easy part and raising them to whatever level you require takes some days I feel its hardly fair or justified to compare winter epohh or summer monkeys with any other types of pets in the game to judge a value, far better to judge their value or the marks they are worth as I did in my last comment.

still if you do not feel guilty in selling them for more and other players are gullible enough to pay it that between the two of you, I am just stating my estimation of the value of tags based on game dynamics.

if you think it justified that a player that buys 6 of your tags for 150k EC will spend a week raising it and probably walk away with 100 marks that's your lookout and I pity anyone who buys from you.

• Options

It would be awesome.

OMG! That would be the coolest thing (no pun intended)! Risa covered in snow. Freeze the ocean. The PVP race could become a rocket sled race around the powerboard track. Enable shooting while flying the floaters to make the snowball fight more interesting.
    GrWzQke.png