Options

so it goodbye to winXP based players as of March 1, 2017

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    funnily enough a few days ago I was looking at 2nd hand laptops with windows 7 for sale in a well known pawnbrokers shop window and remember thinking I wouldn't even buy a 2nd hand machine with anything less then windows 10 installed, it would just be money down the drain IMO.

It is still possible to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This is provided for those individuals who need to use assistive technologies on the premise that the assistive tech hardware did not support Windows 10 when the free upgrade period for the general public expired.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

yes, you can upgrade to Win10. But I think part of the issue with machines with pre-installed Win7 is that most of them can only run other os that are just as old. Win10 wouldn't work on them due to hardware conflicts. Most Win10 upgrades seem to be from Win8 to Win10. Think you can upgrade to Win10 from Win7, but you have to get the middle upgrade to Win8 first. Of course that was the situation when I got my Win10 machine, but that was when Win10 was first released and it required the Win8 upgrade from Win7 first. So I just went and got a new comp instead. Don't know the current setup Microsoft is using, but they may have changed that requirement since.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the 'free' Win10 upgrade just for those with the Win8 os preinstalled on the new computer when they buy it, sort of a pre-buy win10 offer type thing? You were still buying Win10 with the comp, but you had to wait for the release date to install it, so they gave you Win8 on the system until then. I don't recall a truly free offer for the Win10 OS, although since I already had it, I may have just not paid attention to this.

I don't know what makes you think windows 7 pc's would have problems running windows 10, I upgraded 2 windows 7 pc's with windows 10 without any problems on the first day the free offer went live, one was a laptop that originally come with windows 7 pre-installed the second was a desktop that come with no OS installed and I bought a very cheep windows 7 installation disk with activation code to install on it.
    the only stipulation I know of regarding upgrading to windows 10 was that if you had windows 8 installed you had to make sure you had the 8.1 upgrade installed first and that was just like a service pack update.

there was no requirement to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8 before upgrading to windows 10, anyone buying a windows 7 or windows 8 pc before windows 10 was released would not have got a windows 10 upgrade included with the purchase but they would have been able to upgrade to windows 10 for free after the official release like anyone else providing they did it in the first year.
    anyone buying a windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 pc now would need to buy a windows 10 upgrade if they wanted it.

I only had problems with one other pc when I tried to upgrade it to windows 10 from windows 7 but it was a very old laptop that originally had vista installed and though it ran windows 7 ok and actually run windows 10 ok I could not get a windows 10 compatible graphics driver for it so I was faced with a choice keep it on windows 10 but at very low resolution or wind back to windows 7 and make use of the windows 7 compatible graphics driver, I ended up winding back to windows 7.

if you don't recall a truly free offer for windows 10 you must have been sleeping for that first year as I know of many fairly old windows 7 & 8.1 laptops that upgraded completely free of charge during that year.

the laptop I am using now was a few years old when I got it as a hand-me-down from my daughter and I had been using it for about a year and a half with the preinstalled windows 7 it originally come with before I upgraded it to windows 10 for free and its running better now then it was when I first got it, it just seems like you completely misunderstood everything about upgrading to windows 10 so I don't know where you got your information but it was seriously flawed.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    funnily enough a few days ago I was looking at 2nd hand laptops with windows 7 for sale in a well known pawnbrokers shop window and remember thinking I wouldn't even buy a 2nd hand machine with anything less then windows 10 installed, it would just be money down the drain IMO.

It is still possible to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This is provided for those individuals who need to use assistive technologies on the premise that the assistive tech hardware did not support Windows 10 when the free upgrade period for the general public expired.

yes, you can upgrade to Win10. But I think part of the issue with machines with pre-installed Win7 is that most of them can only run other os that are just as old. Win10 wouldn't work on them due to hardware conflicts. Most Win10 upgrades seem to be from Win8 to Win10. Think you can upgrade to Win10 from Win7, but you have to get the middle upgrade to Win8 first. Of course that was the situation when I got my Win10 machine, but that was when Win10 was first released and it required the Win8 upgrade from Win7 first. So I just went and got a new comp instead. Don't know the current setup Microsoft is using, but they may have changed that requirement since.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the 'free' Win10 upgrade just for those with the Win8 os preinstalled on the new computer when they buy it, sort of a pre-buy win10 offer type thing? You were still buying Win10 with the comp, but you had to wait for the release date to install it, so they gave you Win8 on the system until then. I don't recall a truly free offer for the Win10 OS, although since I already had it, I may have just not paid attention to this.

I don't know what makes you think windows 7 pc's would have problems running windows 10, I upgraded 2 windows 7 pc's with windows 10 without any problems on the first day the free offer went live, one was a laptop that originally come with windows 7 pre-installed the second was a desktop that come with no OS installed and I bought a very cheep windows 7 installation disk with activation code to install on it.
    the only stipulation I know of regarding upgrading to windows 10 was that if you had windows 8 installed you had to make sure you had the 8.1 upgrade installed first and that was just like a service pack update.

there was no requirement to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8 before upgrading to windows 10, anyone buying a windows 7 or windows 8 pc before windows 10 was released would not have got a windows 10 upgrade included with the purchase but they would have been able to upgrade to windows 10 for free after the official release like anyone else providing they did it in the first year.
    anyone buying a windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 pc now would need to buy a windows 10 upgrade if they wanted it.

I only had problems with one other pc when I tried to upgrade it to windows 10 from windows 7 but it was a very old laptop that originally had vista installed and though it ran windows 7 ok and actually run windows 10 ok I could not get a windows 10 compatible graphics driver for it so I was faced with a choice keep it on windows 10 but at very low resolution or wind back to windows 7 and make use of the windows 7 compatible graphics driver, I ended up winding back to windows 7.

if you don't recall a truly free offer for windows 10 you must have been sleeping for that first year as I know of many fairly old windows 7 & 8.1 laptops that upgraded completely free of charge during that year.

the laptop I am using now was a few years old when I got it as a hand-me-down from my daughter and I had been using it for about a year and a half with the preinstalled windows 7 it originally come with before I upgraded it to windows 10 for free and its running better now then it was when I first got it, it just seems like you completely misunderstood everything about upgrading to windows 10 so I don't know where you got your information but it was seriously flawed.

no, wasn't sleeping that time. Just got mine before the release with the service stipulation that Win10 would be added whenever it finally came out. This was before the official release, so I didn't really pay attention after that point. Still, when I did get mine, it was a win7 to win 8 to win10 situation, which is partly why I broke down and just bought a win8 system with the win10 to be added by Microsoft later on. Things change, and no doubt they changed once everything was released. If my info is out of date, I did mention that what I was referring to was from when I got mine, and that it probably isn't like that now. Especially with comps.
  • Options
    But if you're also referring to an original win7 comp having trouble with a win10 system as being "seriously flawed" information. It's isn't. Most programs, including win10, aren't designed for the older win7 systems. You can upgrade an old computer with new software, but that is essentially a time bomb just waiting to go off. Sure it can be done, but it's not recommended, since the 10 OS isn't really designed for that type of hardware, or rather the hardware isn't designed for the OS. Works better with 10 on it? Great! No what would it do on a computer it is supposed to run on? This is my point. To get the best performance, the hard- and software need to be contemporaries. You can work around this to an extent, but there are always unforeseen issues to be dealt with.

Even with a toy comp or mini-laptop.

I think I said this before: but if it works - USE IT!

All I was discussing were the 'possible' issues and likely outcomes. Will his comp have issues? Most likely. Eventually. At some point. Blah. blah. blah. (Is there really any point in continuing this discussion?)

I'm only going by what I've had to deal with. I don't work for Microsoft. I DO build computers in my spare time, since few machines can do what I need them to when dealing with graphic design. But I've stated elsewhere, I'm not a programmer. I take the shortcuts, such as hiring those who know what I don't to do what I need done in order to get my work completed so that players - such as us - can enjoy the other games I deal with (not STO). It's rare that I'll tinker with an old machine that can't do what I need it to. Those tend to get scrapped. Which was happening fairly often before Win10 was released due to the widening tech gaps between tech and OS and how it affects my work.

If he wants to use a win7 on an ancient machine to run the newest version of STO, and he can get more than 1 frame a minute animation sequences, by all means, let him.
  • Options

no, wasn't sleeping that time. Just got mine before the release with the service stipulation that Win10 would be added whenever it finally came out. This was before the official release, so I didn't really pay attention after that point. Still, when I did get mine, it was a win7 to win 8 to win10 situation, which is partly why I broke down and just bought a win8 system with the win10 to be added by Microsoft later on. Things change, and no doubt they changed once everything was released. If my info is out of date, I did mention that what I was referring to was from when I got mine, and that it probably isn't like that now. Especially with comps.

I never ever heard of a "win7 to win 8 to win10 situation" if you could upgrade directly from windows 7 to windows 10 at the start of the offer why should you have needed to go through this rout at any other time during the offer? it doesn't really make any sense.

• Options
    it wasn't available at the start of the offer. It was upgrade from win7 to win8, because win10 wouldn't upgrade from 7 at that time. This was before the actual release... Upgrading required win8 to go to win10 at that time... so it would have been from 7 to 8 to 10, which meant a lot of useless effort. So I bought a win8 to a win10.

I'm tired. you wore me out. -.-
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    it wasn't available at the start of the offer. It was upgrade from win7 to win8, because win10 wouldn't upgrade from 7 at that time. This was before the actual release... Upgrading required win8 to go to win10 at that time... so it would have been from 7 to 8 to 10, which meant a lot of useless effort. So I bought a win8 to a win10.

I'm tired. you wore me out. -.-

sorry you lost me when was it that win10 wouldn't upgrade from 7 because I see the announcement of the windows 10 release way back in January 2015 where it was stated that window 7 would qualify for a free upgrade to windows 10 and that was like the first ever official announcement of the free upgrade offer that I know of.

you can see it in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOk5AeFyqo

although it is a long video you will see the upgrade announcement in the first 15 minutes.

as windows 10 didn't go on general release until July 29th 2015 as far as I can see it was available at the start of the offer, also like I said I upgraded 2 PC's to windows 10 from win7 on the first day it went live July 29th.

• Options
    just telling you what I had to deal with. I got this particular system around November 2014 and use it for non-work. this vid is says it was filmed after that at an event January 2015. It's not exactly information I would have had access to at the time. and so our timeline issue is exposed.

what they discuss would have been good to know.
  • Options
    just telling you what I had to deal with. I got this particular system around November 2014 and use it for non-work. this vid is says it was filmed after that at an event January 2015. It's not exactly information I would have had access to at the time. and so our timeline issue is exposed.

what they discuss would have been good to know.

sorry I'm still confused, if this was the first ever announcement of a free upgrade offer to windows 10 from 7 or 8 what benefit would you have gained by buying windows 8 PC's before that announcement as they hadn't even officially announced the upgrade offer before January 2015 for win8 anyway.

• Options
    doctordnadoctordna Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Linux and Mac OS X users may wish to discuss what options are available to us on our respective forums as any solutions will not be found here.

Discussion started on Wine HQ here for Linux

Wine HQ for Mac OS X here
  • Options
    sorry I'm still confused, if this was the first ever announcement of a free upgrade offer to windows 10 from 7 or 8 what benefit would you have gained by buying windows 8 PC's before that announcement as they hadn't even officially announced the upgrade offer before January 2015 for win8 anyway.

Free upgrade isn't what I had come with my system. It was a paid for upgrade to win10 from win8. A basic package set up BEFORE that vid was made.

didn't I say this? I thought I said this. enough. any confusion left is in what you're adding to what I originally said. the rest doesn't matter.

@doctordna had something actually worth listening to:
    doctordna wrote: »
    Linux and Mac OS X users may wish to discuss what options are available to us on our respective forums as any solutions will not be found here.

Discussion started on Wine HQ here for Linux

Wine HQ for Mac OS X here

• Options
    wilusawilusa Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    yeah this is a good thing. XP needs to go away now. Tech moves forward and so should you. Microsoft shot that horse over 2 years ago.
    ee35678e98b44a8e156730c58125ec53.jpg
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Except Win 10 is a malware nightmare and Win 8 is a smartphone port without using Classic Shell.

Win XP was the most stable OS to date, only reason to upgrade was the RAM restrictions.

New is never better in this world.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Free upgrade isn't what I had come with my system. It was a paid for upgrade to win10 from win8. A basic package set up BEFORE that vid was made.

didn't I say this? I thought I said this. enough. any confusion left is in what you're adding to what I originally said. the rest doesn't matter.

You're confused.

Your system likely came with Windows 8 but they included a code or something for a 'free' upgrade to Windows 10. New PC's always do this when the release of a new OS is approaching. When they build the PC's they install the Operating System, box them up and ship them. When MS introduces a new OS, they aren't going to go back and open all those systems and upgrade them, so they just throw in a code to let you do it yourself if you so choose. You purchased a PC with Windows 8 just before the release of Windows 10 so you were given a 'paid upgrade' to Windows 10. It's a common practice with system builders. What you had was different from the free upgrade given out by MS, though you could have upgraded by either method.

There was never a time when Windows 10 required Windows 8 to upgrade, that absolutely never happened. You have always been able to go from 7 to 10.. always. There is also no such thing as 'Windows 7 specific hardware.' Any PC that can run Windows 7 can run Windows 10. In fact if you look, you'll see that Microsoft hasn't even raised system requirements on their Operating systems in over 7 years. The system requirements for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 are all exactly the same. The full hardware driver library from all previous Windows Versions are included in Windows 10. There are a few devices that might be temperamental and require a 3rd party driver, but even those are few and far between.

I build and repair PC's as a side business, I have upgraded literally hundreds of systems from 7 to 10 and never once seen anything you have described.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    Perhaps.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    When Windows 10 was released, anybody with Windows 7 or 8 was given about 1 year to upgrade for free. At least in the US. I know because not only do I build machines, I own a bunch obviously too. There was an annoying "upgrade to Windows 10 today" notification at the bottom right corner of my screen on my computers that I had to disable. You didn't even need to enter a code. It was just part of your normal windows update process. To actually do the free upgrade, you needed to click on the notification and follow the prompts. Which basically means you need to keep clicking "next" until you're with the download and upgrade.

In the case of my Windows 7 computer, I had purchased that specific copy in 2009 and still got a free upgrade. Everyone did.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    When Windows 10 was released, anybody with Windows 7 or 8 was given about 1 year to upgrade for free. At least in the US. I know because not only do I build machines, I own a bunch obviously too. There was an annoying "upgrade to Windows 10 today" notification at the bottom right corner of my screen on my computers that I had to disable. You didn't even need to enter a code. It was just part of your normal windows update process. To actually do the free upgrade, you needed to click on the notification and follow the prompts. Which basically means you need to keep clicking "next" until you're with the download and upgrade.

In the case of my Windows 7 computer, I had purchased that specific copy in 2009 and still got a free upgrade. Everyone did.

I even upgraded 2 systems that had pirated copies of Windows 7. It upgraded them to legal versions of Windows 10, so I was pretty happy about that. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Any PC that can run Windows 7 can run Windows 10.

although most of what you said is completely true this is not quite accurate.
    as part of my arsenal of PC's I have a very old laptop that originally come with window vista but i had installed window 7 on it and it was running that fine and although yes it upgraded to window 10 and ran "kind of OK" the graphics driver for the laptop failed to work under windows 10 and as it was "out of date" hardware there is no chance that a windows 10 compatible driver will ever be released.
    this resulted in a choice between running the laptop in very low resolution under windows 10 which was not very nice or rolling back to windows 7 which supported the last graphics driver for that laptop.
    I went with rolling back to windows 7 for that machine.

so its not quite right that "Any PC that can run Windows 7 can run Windows 10" probably more accurate to say that most PC's that run windows 7 can run windows 10.
    I will point out though that this is an extremely unique situation on a very old laptop that was bought before windows 7 was even heard of.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    so its not quite right that "Any PC that can run Windows 7 can run Windows 10" probably more accurate to say that most PC's that run windows 7 can run windows 10.
    I will point out though that this is an extremely unique situation on a very old laptop that was bought before windows 7 was even heard of.

Yeah, probably more accurate to say "any computer designed for Windows 7 will run Windows 10." In your case, you're using a computer that ran Windows Vista, that's going quite a ways back. There will always be exceptions and while you might be able to install the old driver in compatibility mode while disabling driver signature enforcement, it's going to be tough.

To be honest, I really don't deal with stuff that old anymore, if someone had brought me that computer, I would have just advised they scrap it. You're a more patient person then I. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Yeah, probably more accurate to say "any computer designed for Windows 7 will run Windows 10." In your case, you're using a computer that ran Windows Vista, that's going quite a ways back. There will always be exceptions and while you might be able to install the old driver in compatibility mode while disabling driver signature enforcement, it's going to be tough.

To be honest, I really don't deal with stuff that old anymore, if someone had brought me that computer, I would have just advised they scrap it. You're a more patient person then I. :)

that's nothing I also have a even older thinkpad that only runs XP but the thing is I like to keep a back up for emergency's and a backup for my backup.
    I spend a lot of nights in work and when I say work I use that in the loosest term possible out of 12 hours there I probably do 3 hours actual work so I need something to keep me going and if I didn't have a laptop I would go crazy.

I cant really see the point in having multiple up to date laptops sitting around gathering dust but to have a couple of old models that are just about capable of doing a bit of browsing and watching a DVD doesn't seem so bad and its not like they cost a fortune, the xp laptop cost £20 and the vista laptop I installed windows 7 on was a cast off from my daughter I managed to nab.

they are just something I can fall back on if my windows 10 machine goes the way of the dinosaur until I can talk the misses into allowing me to buy a new one.

but you are spot on when you say "any computer designed for Windows 7 will run Windows 10." that's for sure.

• Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    wombat140 wrote: »
    Thanks @wendysue53 and @jaguarskx .

So if the card [Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family] does indeed support DX10, then why am I getting the warning message saying that it doesn't, and do I need to worry about it?

You have to manually switch your game to use DX11 in the display options. Otherwise it complains every time you start.

Sorry, I'm back. There isn't an option for DX11, only DX9 and DX9En or something like that (can't remember and game is in a sulk right now owing to a Foundry bug). Does that mean that it doesn't support DX11 after all, or does it mean I need to install a driver or something like that - if so, what driver and how?
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Except Win 10 is a malware nightmare and Win 8 is a smartphone port without using Classic Shell.

Win XP was the most stable OS to date, only reason to upgrade was the RAM restrictions.

New is never better in this world.

Um Windows 7 is way more stable than XP ever was.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Thanks @wendysue53 and @jaguarskx .

So if the card [Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family] does indeed support DX10, then why am I getting the warning message saying that it doesn't, and do I need to worry about it?

You have to manually switch your game to use DX11 in the display options. Otherwise it complains every time you start.

Sorry, I'm back. There isn't an option for DX11, only DX9 and DX9En or something like that (can't remember and game is in a sulk right now owing to a Foundry bug). Does that mean that it doesn't support DX11 after all, or does it mean I need to install a driver or something like that - if so, what driver and how?
    Could be. You can get updated drivers from the manufacturer's website. If it still doesn't have option for DX11 with latest drivers, it's probably not supported.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2016
    Stock Windows 10 doesn't run fine on PCs with crapware intalled on them that come with Windows 10. I should know, I have a Toshiba that refuses to go to sleep due to some dumb Microsoft service after I decided to go pure Windows 10 instead of the Toshiba crapware version.

Having said that, If your computer ran Windows 7 fine, then it most certainly can run Windows 10 fine. I have a Windows Vista computer downstairs running Windows 10 without issues and this laptop I'm using now came with Windows 7 and also runs it without any issues. Yeah, you might need to figure out some obscure driver here and there (SD card readers, drive fall sensors, special function keys defaulted to media keys), but once you find it the first time, you know where to get it or kept a copy after you had the problem the first time.

If you hate all the preinstalled "apps" I can guide you to info to remove them, but you'll have to do it with every major release of Windows 10. As for the snooping, I can only help you with Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise.
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    This is really too bad. I am not a rich man and today the game runs just fine on my old computer. This machine has served me well since 2007 and I play this game because it is free to play. I guess this is game over for those of us living pay check to pay check. If I get some money and buy a fancy computer will the game look better? Will this game stop lagging? I sure won't be able to spend that money on products in the free game, so Cryptic says, pay out or get out poor man, we don't need or want you here.

By the time I pay my rent, heat, lights, and internet, I have just enough to eat. If I had Vista, my computer would still need a video chip. People are saying, you loser Windows 10 is free. No I have XP so not free for me. I have an old computer that runs this game and people are saying this is a good thing because they have fat wallets?

I never came here to complain about lagging or issues. I guess this is not a complaint so much as an observation.
  • Options
    satai07satai07 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    This is really too bad. I am not a rich man and today the game runs just fine on my old computer. This machine has served me well since 2007 and I play this game because it is free to play. I guess this is game over for those of us living pay check to pay check. If I get some money and buy a fancy computer will the game look better? Will this game stop lagging? I sure won't be able to spend that money on products in the free game, so Cryptic says, pay out or get out poor man, we don't need or want you here.

By the time I pay my rent, heat, lights, and internet, I have just enough to eat. If I had Vista, my computer would still need a video chip. People are saying, you loser Windows 10 is free. No I have XP so not free for me. I have an old computer that runs this game and people are saying this is a good thing because they have fat wallets?

I never came here to complain about lagging or issues. I guess this is not a complaint so much as an observation.

Sorry about your situation hotfrostworm. I work in IT, and I would say don't be too hard on cryptic. I support about 30 applications and none of them run on Windows XP any longer. It's just too difficult at this point to incorporate new features (including basic stability) on the modern OS platforms while retaining compatibility with XP. It's a numbers game. They know how many users are running computers with XP.

This could also be a case where Cryptic can't maintain support do to changes Microsoft has made in current Windows versions. It might be out of their hands.

Suggestions - Used PC's are dirt cheap. Check Craigslist, Newegg, Woot, and Amazon for refurbs. Craigslist might be your best bet. You might be able to find a freebie.
  • Options
    greygorlandomisgreygorlandomis Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    satai07 wrote: »
    [...]
    Sorry about your situation hotfrostworm. I work in IT, and I would say don't be too hard on cryptic. I support about 30 applications and none of them run on Windows XP any longer. It's just too difficult at this point to incorporate new features (including basic stability) on the modern OS platforms while retaining compatibility with XP.[...]

Indeed, there are good arguments why Cryptic would not support XP and Direct3D9 any more.

However, it is fair to point out that even a small game like Star Conflict manages to offer a native Linux port...

Exact point made weeks ago,

But it continues to loop back to and be clouded by those fans of Microsoft insisting we just upgrade to the newest version.

We are not defending continued use of Microsoft XP, even if it was one, if not the only version of Windows Microsoft ever created that was even moderately capable of Gaming and respecting Personal Privacy at same time..

It is just people, who moved beyond Microsoft's OS wanting to continue to play this game...