test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

?---???---why are bajorians so bad---???---?

Comments

• Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    And that's excluding the part where they just want to kill as many of them for no other reason, like the Butcher of Gallitep intented to.

I believe you are misremembering your races. It is, in fact, the Bajorans who are inclined towards random acts of aggression. It is the Bajorans - and not the Cardassians - who justify lethal violence by simply saying "He's a Cardassian. That's reason enough."
  • Options

It was still a foreign military occupation, you cannot justify taking someone else's land and then forcing cultural changes onto a people that did not want them.

I believe the American South has made that argument several times unsuccessfully, both with respect to the topic of slavery and the topic of segregation.

One can easily see parallels in the oppressive Bajoran caste system.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    The industrial revolution eventually led to massive increases in overall quality of life and infrastructure, but initially was completely unregulated and led to child labor, mass exploitation, indentured servitude, and massive upheavals in family and community life.

In the long term, labor laws and protections mitigated the initial nightmare of industrialization, but not before some millions of people fell by the wayside

But is it right to force another civilization to follow the same path? The Prime Directive is all about letting different alien races develop differently since a civilization is defined by their own triumphs and mistakes. The Federation believes that diversity is what makes them strong while other civilizations have different beliefs in what makes them strong like unity.

If the Cardassians never interfered with the Bajorans, then the Bajorans could have ended up with a civilization similar to the Cardassians or they could have succeeded in a different way, but we will never know since the Occupation and Resistance have forever changed Bajorans.
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    It's ok, Janeway didn't agree with the prime directive either except when it was to block Voyager from returning home for contrived reasons because she went space crazy.

Considering most Cardassians we see in DS9 are military or from their equivalent of the CIA I actually think that culturally they're a pretty good match up with regular old real life Earth humans. Makes you wonder how extensive those "re-education camps" in New Zealand are and what they do to suppress that aspect of humanity.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »

But is it right to force another civilization to follow the same path? The Prime Directive is all about letting different alien races develop differently since a civilization is defined by their own triumphs and mistakes. The Federation believes that diversity is what makes them strong while other civilizations have different beliefs in what makes them strong like unity.

Prime Directive doesn't apply to Cardassians, and I don't necessarily agree with the Prime Directive.

Purely subjective and hypothetical sidenote: If I see a kid, a teenager perhaps, engaged in activity that will in the near or distant future ruin his life: drugs, minor criminal activity, and so on, I believe intervention is needed and desired. You might turn his life around. You might have no impact and he destroys himself anyway (and possibly others). But if you don't make an attempt, and watch someone sink lower and lower knowing in the back of your mind that you COULD have have helped him, what good are you?

Cardassians intervened in what they saw was a humanitarian necessity, and it was resisted. Then Cardassian civilians were getting slaughtered. Tempers flared, cooler heads did not prevail, and it turned out badly for the Cardassians. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. That's life.

The Federation clearly believes in strength through diversity which explains their severe addiction to the Prime Directive while the Cardassians clearly believes in strength through unity. However, what you are saying is pure speculation about the reason why Cardassians occupied Bajor and if the Bajorans even needed help. Some Cardassians might have had the good intentions of helping the Bajorans become a part of the interstellar civilization, but clearly not everyone did or else it wouldn't have become so bad.

Whatever good intentions the Cardassians might have originally had clearly backfired and devastated both Cardassians and Bajorans in the process. If you can make a race of friendly religious monks into a bunch of violent religious fanatics that believe in "The only good Cardassian....", then clearly something went terribly wrong with the Cardassians' good intentions. The cure was far worst than the disease in this case since nothing good ever comes from violent religious fanatics. It wouldn't have been as bad if the Cardassians let the Bajorans learn from their own mistakes. The Bajorans might have starved and suffered, but it would have been their own choice how they survived and developed as a civilization which is far better than anything the Cardassians did for the Bajorans.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    So, in order to make STO forums better place, should we ban everyone associated to Starfleet Dental?
    It would be suffering for those getting banned, but improvement for those not liking them. At long term, forums would be much more peaceful place.
  • Options
    At long term, forums would be much more peaceful place.

But far more boring.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    starkaos wrote: »

Prime Directive doesn't apply to Cardassians, and I don't necessarily agree with the Prime Directive.

Purely subjective and hypothetical sidenote: If I see a kid, a teenager perhaps, engaged in activity that will in the near or distant future ruin his life: drugs, minor criminal activity, and so on, I believe intervention is needed and desired. You might turn his life around. You might have no impact and he destroys himself anyway (and possibly others). But if you don't make an attempt, and watch someone sink lower and lower knowing in the back of your mind that you COULD have have helped him, what good are you?

Cardassians intervened in what they saw was a humanitarian necessity, and it was resisted. Then Cardassian civilians were getting slaughtered. Tempers flared, cooler heads did not prevail, and it turned out badly for the Cardassians. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. That's life.

I'll agree with you on the prime directive. As we saw in Enterprise ("Dear Doctor"), the Prime Directive was founded as a way to justify killing off an entire species (or rather, having a cure for a species-wide plague, and refusing to provide them with medical assistance).

I will repeat that. They had the cure, they refused to share it. It would have been literally the work of thirty seconds to transmit the information on what the cure was.

It was not quite a direct act of genocide, but the difference is so tiny as to be meaningless.

The Prime Directive, ultimately, is fruit of a poisonous tree. It is what the Federation uses as retroactive back-justification for unethical actions they take. In the affairs of others it both compels inaction (in the case of "Dear Doctor"), and action (in the case of the Kobali), depending on what the person who invokes it wishes to justify. A hypocritical, self-serving highest commandment.
  • Options
    So, in order to make STO forums better place, should we celebrate the end of the new year with good spirits and happiness?.

Fixed that for you!
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Invoking the prime directive in the case of the Bajorans and Cardassians is a red herring. Both civs have been interstellar powers for centuries. In the case of Cardassians, they've been at WAR with the Federation in the past. Thus the PD would only apply if it's a matter of internal Cardassian politics. In the case of the Bajorans, they actually asked for Federation assistance... or at least whatever passed for a Bajoran government did.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2016
    Well I'd do love fixing things, its one of my hobbies!!! Fixing anything related to computers that is...

I remember this one time I was trying to fix a VCR (I know old stuff, was like 8yrs ago) the casing was pure metal, so when I accidentally made a wrong move I slit my hand open... I remember thinking; oh my bageezus I'm dumb!

I guess begeezus sounds like bajorans... I like Bajorans, they remind me of puppies, and I like puppies...

Also I like soup, soup is my favorite food!
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @tunebreaker

Banning people for being in any fleet is ridiculous and not the way any mmo game company that wants to make money would even consider operating. You claim it would lead to peace? Perhaps, but only the peace of the dead. As soon as people realize that they could be targeted based on some petty, arbitrary condition no more valid than "this person disagrees with me, BAN THEM".

My post was entirely based on nabreeki's Machiavellian reasoning. Replace "Bajor" with "STO forums", "Cardassians" with "the powers that be in forums" and "Bajorans" with "Dental" and you'll see our posts are very comparable.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    And that's excluding the part where they just want to kill as many of them for no other reason, like the Butcher of Gallitep intented to.

I believe you are misremembering your races. It is, in fact, the Bajorans who are inclined towards random acts of aggression. It is the Bajorans - and not the Cardassians - who justify lethal violence by simply saying "He's a Cardassian. That's reason enough."
    Except the Bajoran who used this justification got arrested, and called out by another Bajoran.
    The Cardassian who used this justification got a funeral with state honors by the Cardassian government.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Your quotes at the end are hyperbolic and not worth addressing.
    I have no quotes in my replies. If you're talking about the "then, they", it's from canon and not even remotely hyperbolic. In fact, they're confirmed by Cardassians themselves.
    The Cardassians were hard on Bajorans because they knew, collectively, that Bajoran society was doomed. The Hebitians were very much like Bajorans, and the civilization collapsed, wiping out millions (massive change, falling by the wayside, not by conscious choice). The Cardassians, through sheer discipline, rebuilt themselves, and wanted to share that with Bajor. Once Bajor was on the right track, then there could be fraternity and a sense of equality, but until that point was reached (and we never saw that point reached) it's silly to think that the Cardassians would consider the Bajorans as anything but inferior. Absolutely absurd!
    So, it is right to see someone as inferior, to enslave them, to steal their resource for your own gain, to experiment on them, all without their consent, because you went through hardships, because you were once like them and you THINK they MIGHT take the same path of self-destruction as you did, because you FEEL it's for THEIR greater good?

That's playing God in an obvious mean-spirited way.
    But, getting back to the OP, before some keyboard zealotsdecided to derail
    Why? We were having a nice debate here, displaying our ideals and arguing about the views on the Bajorans, which is on-topic. Why stop now?
    That's noble, but that's not what happened to the Bajorans.

A proper analogy would be: You see a kid praying to a God, having a peaceful life, being nice to everyone and greeting you politely.
    You, on the other hand, have been praying to another God with your family, and through various hardships, ended with you losing your faith, all your farm, your siblings turning to fight each other and ending up dead, and your parents resorting to become tyrants.

What is the morally sound option?

-You talk to the kid, telling him to be careful, to not take everything as granted while you tell him your story to make sure the point go through, maybe show him examples of what happened, then you leave him be, but maybe occasionally check to see if he's still going well

-You grab the kid, shake him, invade his house, destroy all the family's religious stuff, tell them you're now their boss and they're inferior and they're gonna do what you tell them to do, torture and kill a sibling after he punches you for messing with his family, steal their earnings and damage their house, sleep with another sibling while telling her that if you give her a child and you have to leave, you're gonna abandon him, experiment on them because you feel entitled to, and when you feel they just won't learn, you just plan to kill them all

Hint: one of them is seriously messed up.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
  • Options

Except the Bajoran who used this justification got arrested, and called out by another Bajoran.
    The Cardassian who used this justification got a funeral with state honors by the Cardassian government.

That's a serious claim - and must be backed up with evidence.

Please provide me with this evidence. A quote from the script where a Cardassian says it, for instance. And, just to make this clear (though I should not have to), a real Cardassian speaking in his or her right mind - not a holodeck illusion, shapeshifter, mirror-universe alternate version, imposter, or victim of mental illness.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Please provide me with this evidence. A quote from the script where a Cardassian says it, for instance. And, just to make this clear (though I should not have to), a real Cardassian speaking in his or her right mind - not a holodeck illusion, shapeshifter, mirror-universe alternate version, imposter, or victim of mental illness.

I'd suggest you watch "Duet", from Season 1 of DS9. Not sure why you even bother to argue if you haven't seen the series concerning the topic.
    And please, no laughable conspiracy theories claiming that all Cardassians in that episode were shapeshifters.
  • Options
    preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Of course we hate them. We hate everything about them. Their superstitions, their cries for sympathy, their treachery, their lies. Their smug superiority and their stiff-necked obstinacy. Their earrings and their broken, wrinkled noses. Dukat was right. He should have killed every last one of them. He should have turned their planet into a graveyard the likes of which the galaxy has never seen. And with your support, we will finish Dukat's Great Work. Those puling animals should never been uplifted to sit at the galactic table with actual people.
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • Options
    psycholandlordpsycholandlord Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    And please, no laughable conspiracy theories claiming that all Cardassians in that episode were shapeshifters.

Cardassians are impervious to changeling influence anyway. It comes with being an intelligent, disciplined people.

Therein lies the tragedy of the occupation of Bajor - it's inhabitants are anathema to those two adjectives, and no amount of good intentions on the part of the benevolent Cardassian people were going to change that.
    4KCfG9C.gif
  • Options

Cardassians are impervious to changeling influence anyway. It comes with being an intelligent, disciplined people.

Too bad you don't have any canonical evidence to back it up. :)
    preechrsa wrote: »
    Of course we hate them. We hate everything about them. Their superstitions, their cries for sympathy, their treachery, their lies. Their smug superiority and their stiff-necked obstinacy. Their earrings and their broken, wrinkled noses. Dukat was right. He should have killed every last one of them. He should have turned their planet into a graveyard the likes of which the galaxy has never seen. And with your support, we will finish Dukat's Great Work. Those puling animals should never been uplifted to sit at the galactic table with actual people.

Ouch! What happened to preaching love, not hate?
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    azrael605 wrote: »
    As soon as people realize that they could be targeted based on some petty, arbitrary condition no more valid than "this person disagrees with me, BAN THEM".

Funny.... MWO's forums seem alive and well despite that....
  • Options
    edited December 2016

How many changelings did you see impersonating Cardassians?
    4KCfG9C.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Even if I know canon sources won't satisfy you and you'll keep moving the goalposts and not accept the description of the guys who liberated the camp:
    Gul Darhe'el
    "Commander, if you'd been there twelve years ago when we liberated that camp... if you'd seen the things I saw... all those Bajoran bodies, starved, brutalized. You know what Cardassian policy was? Oh, I'm not even talking about the murder, murder was just the end of the fun for them; first came the humiliation! Mothers TRIBBLE in front of their children, husbands beaten until their wives couldn't recognize them, old people buried alive because they couldn't work anymore!"

#TASforSTO
  • Options
    edited December 2016

How many changelings did you see impersonating Cardassians?

Nice try, but you'd need to give me a source where it specifically states that for some reason Changelings simply can't assume Cardassian form, despite it having only minor differences from, say, Human or Klingon appearance.

I guess just because I haven't personally seen Cryptic's CEO, they don't have one. Or since I haven't personally met Gene Roddenberry, he never lived. Logical fallacies are fun. :)

Even if I know a canon sources won't satisfy you and you'll keep moving the goalposts and not accept the description of the guys who liberated the camp:
    Gul Darhe'el
    "Commander, if you'd been there twelve years ago when we liberated that camp... if you'd seen the things I saw... all those Bajoran bodies, starved, brutalized. You know what Cardassian policy was? Oh, I'm not even talking about the murder, murder was just the end of the fun for them; first came the humiliation! Mothers **** in front of their children, husbands beaten until their wives couldn't recognize them, old people buried alive because they couldn't work anymore!"

Pretty sure that was just a Changeling impersonating a Cardas... oh, wait...
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Wow.....this thread really seems to have drawn out the true nature of some of the players.
    It's pretty sad that there are so many players in a Star Trek game who are openly willing admit they think genocide against, murdering, torturing and enslaving another group who they seem to be racially inferior is acceptable.
    So many apologists for such brutal behaviour, makes you wonder where their beliefs in the real world lie.
    And if they don't truly believe what they are posting then I'd question their decision to make light of such things so openly.
    All in all I think it shows the true character of certain parties here.
    They are either intentionally trolling or are utterly deplorable people in real life.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Nice try, but you'd need to give me a source where it specifically states that for some reason Changelings simply can't assume Cardassian form, despite it having only minor differences from, say, Human or Klingon appearance.

I guess just because I haven't personally seen Cryptic's CEO, they don't have one. Or since I haven't personally met Gene Roddenberry, he never lived. Logical fallacies are fun. :)

You misunterstand me. I'm not saying it's biologically impossible. I'm saying it wouldn't work, because the Cardassian mind is uniquely Cardassian and no other society can ape that effectively. As I said, discipline and intelligence, not made up physiological differences.

Actually, the impersonating was being done by Darhe'el's old clerk, who had undergone extensive cosmetic surgery to achieve his likeness. He was Cardassian to the bone.

Which is hilarious, given your constant failed attempts to refer to canon you don't understand to make your points.

4KCfG9C.gif
  • Options

You misunterstand me. I'm not saying it's biologically impossible. I'm saying it wouldn't work, because Cardassians are uniquely Cardassian and no other society can ape that effectively. As I said, discipline and intelligence, not made up physiological differences.

There we go, shifting the goalposts again!

Actually, the impersonating was being done by Darhe'el's old clerk, who had undergone extensive cosmetic surgery to achieve his likeness. He was Cardassian to the bone.

Which is hilarious, given your constant failed attempts to refer to canon you don't understand to make your points.

You just proved my point. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Ignore this, quote function is going badly for me!

It was something about just enjoying your end of year weekends. Also Dukat was right.
This discussion has been closed.