test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So How Do You Handle Multiple Characters for STO?

Since there was a very nice Black Friday sale on the PS4 last weekend, I have since found myself with 5 T6 ships, having bought a bundle package and only having 4 characters. Have since started a Klingon character to use what I consider the free ship in the bundle and see how the Klingon story is. Been enjoying the Romulan one.

Trouble is I don't have the gaming time to handle all those characters though I really like the ships I have purchased. Nice dilemma to have. :)

I have seen quite a few of you say that you have 10 or more characters. Curious as to how you handle all these characters as there just isn't enough time to play them all. For me at least.

I was figuring on my main Fed Science captain for events, biweekly admiralty/doffing, all types of crafting, including reps. My secondary main Romulan Scientist focusing on story, events, biweekly admiralty and doffing. My remaining 3 alts, play them for a change of pace here and there since I have will eventually have different setups on their T6 ships. Update them on the weekend for admiralty and doffing plus use for storage if needed. Plus they would eventually complete their reps also for abilities. This is definitely a long term. Different from what I am used to playing.

How do you handle the many characters that you have?

Comments

• Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    One at a time... repeat if necessary...
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    well 4 every new ship i created a new toon I got 1 main who is EQed top notch

and the rest is on a personal standart to farm stuff without struggle

switching wich otehr toosn I paly besides my main

exept for events like CCA event I use them ALL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I like replaying the stories once or twice a year and leveling up new characters, so I create new characters and give each one "their" ship. So one captain has an Arbiter, one has a Scryer, one has a Mat'Ha, and so on.

I don't RP but my captains also have themes and matching crew. For example I have a Mirror Universe defector who brought his Paradox and some Mirror officers with him and now is part of Starfleet. The Delta Pack intel boffs were added to his bridge crew to keep an eye on him :)

Aside from a bit of Admiralty grinding and getting free duty officers to feed to fleet projects, most of my characters stay parked while I play the latest character. I don't even bother with Admiralty and doffing every day on them since my play time is worth more to me than the rewards.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Play them all, upgrade one at a time. I visit each one daily. assignments and such. then take out one each day for fun gaming/battles. Next day take another one out. I have Fed, KDF and Rom. 6 total who get my love no less than once a week.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Keep taking the medication!
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I just play whichever character hollers loudest that they want to play.

Sometimes it's a different character every day or the same one, or I don't play at all for awhile. Right now I'm going for the WE ship, so I play my AoY when it's time to race for it, then mostly gonna play my 'new' characters for the FnF race.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    Personally i focus on one or two characters each day and perform maintenance on the rest through doff, admiralty and selected PVE queues to quickly assemble 8.5k dilithium in 15-20 minutes max per character.

I also have a different, very distinct playing style for each of the characters which tones down the repetitive nature of queues and other content.

Not sure if the foundry, player made missions, is introduced on the consoles yet but those tend to be good to pass playing time.

Other than that, the various queues, warzones and battlezones.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    You have to think long term.. on regards levelling them to level 60 and getting through all content and such. Getting them to level 60,tThat is quite easy if you have patience and persistence to login and set the doffing every day or as often as you can. At level 50 there is the Admiralty - which is great. Events help with marks and there are occasionally bonus to skill points during a weekend which which help a lot when doing doffing and missions, . for instance I got 12+ toons.. about 7 of those are now level 60... only 2 of those have I done all missions on. The rest is somewhere in the story I haven't picked up yet.. but I will. None has so far reached tier 5 on doffing.. but getting closer.

I like to run themes on my toons.. so that helps. It becomes like a project, and sometimes unique items come out that help with that theme, ,... I am way behind but I'm enjoying my journey.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I ignore them as much as I can.
  • Options
    nekofury86nekofury86 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Since there was a very nice Black Friday sale on the PS4 last weekend, I have since found myself with 5 T6 ships, having bought a bundle package and only having 4 characters. Have since started a Klingon character to use what I consider the free ship in the bundle and see how the Klingon story is. Been enjoying the Romulan one.

Trouble is I don't have the gaming time to handle all those characters though I really like the ships I have purchased. Nice dilemma to have. :)

I have seen quite a few of you say that you have 10 or more characters. Curious as to how you handle all these characters as there just isn't enough time to play them all. For me at least.

I was figuring on my main Fed Science captain for events, biweekly admiralty/doffing, all types of crafting, including reps. My secondary main Romulan Scientist focusing on story, events, biweekly admiralty and doffing. My remaining 3 alts, play them for a change of pace here and there since I have will eventually have different setups on their T6 ships. Update them on the weekend for admiralty and doffing plus use for storage if needed. Plus they would eventually complete their reps also for abilities. This is definitely a long term. Different from what I am used to playing.

I recommend choosing one character you primary, it'd be the one you do the events with, the one you quest and run STF's (PvE Queues) with and so on. All your other characters are considered Alts (alternate characters). If they're low level there isn't too much you can do with them that would make a significant impact to your wallet. However, you can use them (lvl 10-15) to run DOFF mission, Contraband turn in DOFF missions will give you 2,000 Dilithium per day per character, you can farm contraband in rather large quantities with KDF characters, and use it on the same one, or you can sell it (average 20k-30k each) or send to other alts. You can also start R&D research in one specific category such as beams and start pooping out massive quantities of low level purple tactical consoles (once you get the school up high enough purple is much easier) which can net you anywhere from 50,000 to 500,000 EC each.

You can also use these Alts for using Dilithium Claim Vouchers that you get from lockboxes (not sure if available on console), scoring 700 points or more in the mini game will net you 5,000 Dilithium per toon per day.. per voucher. I have 8 toons doing this daily right now, they each still have 40 vouchers, that's 40,000 Refined Dilithium per day. It's the first thing I do when I log in, get onto each one, do the mini game, send the dilithium to my main, this takes about 20 minutes for all 8 characters.

You can also do (not sure what level is required I think 50+) daily Tour of the Galaxy mission when you go to sector space and fly to multiple systems, this should net you around 500,000 EC (if you're slow) up to, I think, 1.5 mill per character, per day. Lastly, you can (as long as you're at least lvl 52) run Klingon Admirality Campaign missions for dilithium, and various others for crafting materials or EC.

There are various other quick activities you can do but this, my friend, is what you do with alts..... well, it's what I do with alts. All of these tasks take no more than about 5 minutes each, with the exception of Tour, it takes 15 minutes. If you really want to level up some alts, wait for a Double XP Event, there is one either this month or next, I have to look at the calendar, and make sure you buy a few more character slots.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I don't. I leveled my Delta and AOY characters just so my main can have everything.

I hope they don't do another one of those I hate replaying episodes 3-4 times...
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Personally I have 5 toons, all past 60, all reps complete, all admiralty complete.
    But thats relatively easy to do really, in a given amount of time.
    The thing is the builds, four of my toons were made because I wanted to make them and had plans for what I wanted to achieve and do etc. The fifth was a delta recruit I sort of felt obligated to make.
    I have always had my main Fed human tac, and he has the most builds, but I aim to have at least one viable competitive build on every toon aside from the delta recruit, I'll get to him eventually I guess, but he has a cookie cutter scim ap build so he can kill stuff just fine to earn that dil.
    Basically I've used the others for dilithium, crafting materials and EC for my main for whatever build is currently tickling my fancy. Then using the overflow and dil/zen to supplement the others so they keep up.
    That's if I'm not grinding for something specific like the phoenix packs, or my recently completed Paradox EC grind.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Well, I usually play only one of my chars actively. The others are in maintainance mode. (admirality, doffing, research and maybe a CCE or event STF).
    I grind the new reputation only with my main. The other chars follow as soon as I can give them sponsorship tokens.

Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

I run one character through the story line then go back and do it on the next an so on. Outside of the daily stuff like dilth refining and amdirality which I do on all of them each day thats how I handle my 12 toons.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I currently have 8 toons. My primary is my FED Tac human(basically me). Rest are there for events/STF etc. I get one of each faction to 60(almost done with my TOS toon), and the rest simply up to 50. Then just cruise.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Thanks for all the responses so far! Lot of different ways for managing. Helps gives me some thoughts for managing my own characters.

Each one of my characters is themed so I think that will help keep the game fresh for the long run as I build things to fit each character for both space and ground. Should be lots of fun!

Just made 50 on a character tonight so got to commission one of those T6s I recently purchased. Double XP starts on the 8th for the PS4.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    I have a main for each faction, and then i have a sci and eng fed. they dont get the love the other three have
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Sadly my free time has become harder to come by. So my alts get zero play. I don't even have time to get on and fill their doff queues. ATM I pretty much just get on, do my Winter race thing, and maybe a couple doff missions on my main toon each day.

Honestly, I'd suggest only having 1 toon. (Though I never seem to follow my own advice on that. I have 8 now. Was going to stop at 5 but then Romulans came... then Delta recruits... then AoY recruits... :s ) There's not really anything you can't do on one toon (except different ships for factions) that you NEED another toon for. Some events you can get the payout of 50K Dil for each toon, which is nice, but then you just end up spending Dil on each toon too; so might just be a wash unless you just make them for EC/Dil generation. Especially with lockbox ships where you only get 1 instead of Account Wide unlocks from the C-store. I have some lockbox ships on alts that made sense at the time, when I played them more, but now it's pretty much a waste. I should have put them all on my main toon.

And the next new game I play (probably Star Citizen?) I'm gonna try real hard to stick to one toon.
  • Options
    tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    True dracounguis, you could really get away with just one character but since I have become very selective in my older years to the types of games I play, based on what is coming out next year 2017, this will be my only game for the next year. So I'm okay with the five characters and after I play the Klingon story, I might sell everything my Klingon character has and delete him or I might not. My Klingon ship was basically a freeable for the bundle purchase I made so if I don't play it down the road, no big deal for me.

If I make any further purchases for this game, it will come from gift money or I buy something Black Friday next year. Most of the ships so far on the PS4 don't interest me, only a select few.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    The fewer the characters you have, the better. If you care about ensuring your characters are well equipped, etc, then this is a must. Keeping up with the latest and greatest in the game requires a lot more work than when the game originally launched. You want them to have great gear, traits, ships, etc? The more characters you have the worse off they will be. Most especially so when you do have that 1 character you use all the time. What happens with the others? They fall behind on being "current" with the power curve.

I have tons and tons of characters, over a dozen. Almost all are from the Pre-DR days where maintaining multiple characters was very easy. In the time after DR it's only gotten harder. I have 2 characters I predominantly play, my original Fed Vulcan TAC and original KDF Klingon SCI. They are easily my best equipped characters with the best ships. The others have fallen behind. The only reason I haven't deleted the rest is nostalgia.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    trekbronytrekbrony Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    I usually play one at a time.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I have 23 characters. They are all level 60, but the majority do not have gear over mk 12 or duty officers that help their builds. They are used primarily for farming purposes and are ignored otherwise.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Got 16 now. Started off with 2 Feds and a KDF when F2P started. Expanded that into one of each character class per race, then Romulans appeared, then I made a few more to fit particular ships and so on, then AOY.

Usually just play a couple of them over a period then switch to another couple as and when I feel like it. All themed in some way and play differently enough for there to be a point in having them. If I was just copying the same handful of builds across the lot I wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    TL; DR

Did anyone say line up all your home computers side by side and slide from computer to computer to play multiple toons at once?
    Or go to a internet cafe and píss people off.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    12+ toons now (depending on if one counts low level box opener, alt account or not), 10 to 12 of which are L60, I've been cycling through them in a set order, doing Doff, Admiralty, Dil Refining, Rep queue for dil, R&D or crafting.

Beyond about 8 toons though, no matter how ultra fast one cycles through that wall of 'admiral paperwork', it's so time consuming when done daily that it takes the fun out of the game and more often then not I quit immediately and switch to another game altogether for the rest of the day.

For normal play, I'd take out the toons without dil to refine on some STFs if the queues aren't completely deserted at the time, or who are after specific marks, or those that have obtained new ships, or ships I miss playing.

From now on having made 2 more brand new toons, I'll have to just give up this absolutely ridiculous clicky-grind and try to just enjoy the game more for what it is.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I have 6 characters 3 main and 3 farmers.
    I concentrated play on each one until levelled up to lv50 after that I play mostly on my 3 mains only really using my farmer alts when there is a mini event like crystalline just so I can get the dilithium for my mains.
    how you handle yours is entirely up to you though.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Poorly.

Though this is just me. I kinda have to be in a mood for certain things, and there has to be something I want on a certain toon. Once that toon gets it, I shelve them until such a time as I want them to get something.

Therein lies my problem. For most of my toons, even some of my old favorites for whom I used to do most things, they've already got everything I feel they need. I don't need every rep full on every toon, for instance, so most have between one and three reps finished. Most of my toons are level 60 already, and the ones that aren't I don't feel a need to play since I don't see what getting to 60 will do for them. Which sucks since I really want to play around with the new Science ships but the toons that use them are otherwise at endpoints. Only my TOS toon sees real play these days. I don't like neglecting my other toons but firing them up just feels like a grind to be grinding and not a fun thing I want to do.