test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So How Do You Handle Multiple Characters for STO?

2»

Comments

• Options
    albradburyalbradbury Member Posts: 1 New User
    I play them as the mood takes me. You can have a bit of fun with that actually, playing to suit your mood...

I play my Klingon female thus: Whilst she is generally quite a fair skipper as far as treating her crew okay, being a Klingon, she is imbued with a definite bellicose attitude to mission choices, i.e. on the mission where you are trying to find some Dominion dudes and some Ferengi chick double-crosses you after having got you to salvage a load of stuff in exchange for some info as to their whereabouts, when my Klingon captain caught up with her, the mission gives you the choice to either forgive her and rescue her and her crippled ship, or blow her away. Naturally, my Klingon chick blew her away lol. My Fed skipper on the other hand, being a Fed and - theoretically at least in the Star Trek canon - the good guy, took the more forgiving option.

Similarly, my Klingon chick does not fight 'fair' and is tactically devious, doing things such as luring ground enemies onto mine barriers, set up prior to engaging with a well-placed sniper shot, or in space, cloaking her ship, getting up close and personal, tractor-beaming enemies to a standstill as an opener, dropping warp plasma all around them, then withdrawing past ten km firing torpedoes as she goes and letting that plasma do the damage whilst not even engaged. then it's back in all guns blazing on an already severely damaged enemy. Conversely my Fed characters are a bit more 'Queensbury rules' in their dust-ups. On the face of it, you could argue that makes my Klingon not exactly the most honourable combatant, but I take the view that, to her, victory is everything, fighting well and using cunning is a very warrior-like way of going about stuff, so that's what she does, and after all, the Klingons are supposed to be the bad guys. Similarly, on missions where you have to talk to NPCs and make choices as to your reply, my Feds are always a bit conciliatory and 'Picard-like' with the choice, whereas my Klingon chick picks the blunt and to the point option every time, even though that is often not the best or easiest choice mission-wise. Having said that, I don't sit there at my computer only speaking Klingon to people in some kind of obsessive RP world lol, but just doing a little bit of in-character-like behaviour with STO characters makes things a bit more entertaining.

Less obviously in terms of 'behaviour', my liberated Borg chick character is kind of halfway between those two methodologies, weighing everything up analytically, then choosing the most prudent course, be that 'good' or 'bad' from a moral standpoint, even to the point of navigating around sector space, where she makes a point of traveling the most prudent routes for the the most analytical time spent on doing stuff. Which is of course a very cold and calculating approach to matters indeed, but I reckon that's what an ex-Borg chick (and a few of my ex girlfriends for that matter lol) would be like.

Apart from the fun aspect of doing that sort of thing, it's actually useful when it comes to pvp, since you come up against all manner of tactics fighting against a human opponent, so knowing a few different approaches to how to fight can be a useful thing to have tried.

Above all, I just have fun with my characters and play whichever one I'm in the mood for, never grinding stuff or worrying about daily stuff or whatever unless the mood takes me, after all, it is meant to be fun to play.
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    I've got multiple chars as well. My very first Klingon is my main char, he's got most of the lockbox ships, most upgraded items ect. My first fed and rom chars are also pretty much upgraded and got some equipment to choose from, but not as much as my main, all three are tacs. Then there are a kdf reman engineer and a gorn scientist, which I try and equip with the most useful ground and space items, but they don't receive much upgrades though. And then there are a few more from the delta and AoY events, which I don't play very often really, and they also don't get any special treatment either.

In the beginning, I hated the idea of having multiple alts, but contraband and dil farming can be a thing, when there is plenty if time though. I don't have to play any char, and if I want variety, there is plenty to choose from, prepared for most situations, build to have fun and, except for my first three toons, not to archive top end dps.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    10 toons here.

Thanks to Admiralty and Doffing I manage to keep them in active play with top of the line gear and maxed out attributes (reputs and spec trees). I always see to it that I get the best doffs and ship cards I can afford to keep it that way.

I calculate with roughly 10-20 minutes per toon per day. Usually that’s enough for 1-2 Doffing, Admiralty and Crafting cycles as well 1-2 pve.

My toon gang keeps the limited number of maps we have entertaining for four years by now and ensure me a resource rich time in STO. In short, I can get what I want and I want a lot.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    Whatever floats my boat at the time. i created 4 diverse characters, to suit different moods and playstyles. Currently i'm running my FED & AoY alts are on the winter event, so when winter is over, i'll most likely move to my Reman or Klingon.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Before Delta Rising I had like 6 or 7 toons I got to full level and bought ships like crazy to have em fly. After Delta Rising I deleted about 3 or 4 of them and the remaining toons I have who aren't max level (for post Delta) most likely never will be. I also cut back on my ship purchases because they require to much work to enjoy really.

Out of the three toons I do have at max level, my KDF engie is the only one I've geared up fully ship wise. Since I don't do ground stuff hardly I don't bother with ground gear like I did with the ship stuff. The other two are just sitting around while I play that engie.

Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    aricinaricin Member Posts: 8 Arc User

[/quote]

You can also use these Alts for using Dilithium Claim Vouchers that you get from lockboxes (not sure if available on console), scoring 700 points or more in the mini game will net you 5,000 Dilithium per toon per day.. per voucher. I have 8 toons doing this daily right now, they each still have 40 vouchers, that's 40,000 Refined Dilithium per day. It's the first thing I do when I log in, get onto each one, do the mini game, send the dilithium to my main, this takes about 20 minutes for all 8 characters.

.[/quote]

How do you send Dil to other toons on your account please?
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    aricin wrote: »
    How do you send Dil to other toons on your account please?

List Dil on the Dil Exchange for a very low rate that no one with Zen is willing to buy it. For example, the current Dil to Zen exchange rate on the PC is about 275 to 1 which means people are willing to exchange 275 Dil for 1 Zen. Use an exchange rate of something like 100 or 200; the lowest is 25.

Put up the Dil you want to "sell", then cancel the transaction. Switch to the captain you want to transfer the Dil to. Then go into the Dil Exchange and withdraw.

• Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I have 18 toons, one main and a couple of others who I like a tad more, not by design but how it tunred out to be.

But as others have said, I do what I feel like doing. My main isn't getting that much more, I try to get the more shiny rewards for every toon. When I have time, I do admiralty and doff on all of them, apart from that they are at different places in the storyline, so whatever I feel like playing I will play.

My problem is more "too many ships and I want to get their masteries", so I hardly get to play a "real build", often only a quick and dirty "Tac on a Sci captain with no tac abilities whatsoever" build. I really shouldn't get event ships, they will only lengthen the queue. Of course, everybody flies a different ship in the end, to give variability, and even the builds of alike toons will differ (like one "pure exotic" sci, a Tac/Sci hybrid, stuff like that.

But I like my toons and I am not interested in "farming to get my main better", everybody gets the stuff they themselves earn and no more (except for some starter aid for new toons when they come up, couple of million EC, some dil, some mats to raise the R&D levels). What warmaker said is certainly right, but it is not my goal to get "the top build", I am happy with competitive ones (aka "only players like me" would easily be enough to beat content). And you don't need the newest stuff lifted to epic to do that.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I handle playing multiple captains by devoting 30 hours per day / 8 days per week to play STO.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Except my main 3 chars (fed tac, tosfed sci, kdf eng), most of my alts at this point are serving a sentence imposed on them by the court on the penal ferengi dilithium asteroid :) i have i think 14 now but unless im testing funsie builds, dont tend to actually use them all that much anymore.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I have 16 toons at last count. I wish I could seat them around a conference table at my fleet base.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    6 toons I engage with on most days. 2 are mains, a Tac (FED), and a Sci (FED)

1. Log on for each character (starting with my alts) Admiralty/R&D where needed (Get schools to at least 15)/Quick Doffing session for R&D materials - ESD Space/Sector space just outside Sol System/Bridge doffing for Colonists. Dump everything into my account bank for transfer to either of my mains.

Takes about 45 mins to get through it all.
    Then "IF" I still feel like playing, load up my Main Tac or my Main Sci. And just play what I feel like, or chat around in zone chat.

When there is a Winter event;

1. Log on for each character, doff for Ornaments at SF Academy/ESD/ and Q's WW. Log out.

Takes about 15 mins. Then log back onto my Main Tac or Main Sci, and do Tides when it pops, maybe a winter Invasion queue here and there, and punch some fish in the face.

Go to bed. Go to Work. Rinse repeat.

Then if I'm really lazy, I'll just mess around on my Tac, trying different builds for PVE and what not, no doffing, no admiralty, just playing the game... Or I'll use my main Sci for a little PvP stomping.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User

From now on having made 2 more brand new toons, I'll have to just give up this absolutely ridiculous clicky-grind and try to just enjoy the game more for what it is.

Trying to do the same lately. I've got most of what I need on my mains anyway. So...I may tapper down my resource grinding and just try and enjoy the game more often.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    18 toons here:
    use the daily bonuses. For marks, Admirality xp and so on
    I spend more time doing the admirality than actually playing.

the two Things you Need most is:
    experience (admirality helps as do patrols and borg alerts - remember while one toons is on CD you can Play another one. And Switch back when CD is finished)
    Dilithium - doing the patrols and short missions for easy marks and Bonus can help you if you turn in marks for Dil. But you will always be short on Dil, unless you use some toons as Farmers only
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • Options
    skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I handle playing multiple captains by devoting 30 hours per day / 8 days per week to play STO.

:o:*
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Well, some of my toons are RP characters, based on characters from my own 'verse. With that said, I like to imagine them in the Trek 'verse doing this, that and the other. My Gorn, however, came from one night of watching an old film complete with a car chase, and even the bad guys wearing like pinstripe suits.

Of late, I have been using my AOY toon the most, as she is going for maxing out all the reps and so on, and slowly getting all those sweet account unlocks. Otherwise, playing who/what I want, when I want.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Appreciate all the replies coming in and enjoy reading them.

Four of my captains are currently on shore leave at Q's Winter Wonderland having some rest and relaxation. My Klingon captain has said Bah Humbug and is off looking for some character named Drake.

After the holidays, I gather my captains together to discuss duties for the new year. ;)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    Now with the return of the foundry it's also story time for me.

A blanket and some hot chocolate (sufficient amounts of rum added) and some golden oldie foundry missions which i haven't seen for a while.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.