test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please explain the previous STO costumes.

Comments

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I can't really explain why people wore what they did in the series and films. So there is no way I can explain any of the uniform choices in STO.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    anyhow, my own take of starfleet in my stories, is that being out in space, for months or years....the dress codes are pretty flexible and liberal (look at Troi, until that ole iron butt jalico showed up) and crewmen will customize their looks. Hell, one on ship, the cap I made authorized an optional casual wear option, since 30 years in space is a long time and some comforts are gonna be needed, plus sometimes crew might be called for help during off times, etc.
    And as for Troi, an absolutely ludicrous character pandering to a ludicrous ethic of a ludicrous social ideology... The idea of a starship having a psychiatrist on board, perfect sense... The idea of a starship's captain needing his therapist holding his hand on the bridge, ludicrous... P

If more ships had counsellors with empathic or even better telepathic abilities, then they would be sitting right by the Captain as well. The whole purpose of Troi on the bridge was to give valuable insight into Picard's opponent.
    To which you're then getting into the realm of tokenism due to quotas, a holdover of the Politically Correct rhetoric...

Perhaps it would be easier to just say that only Betazoids can be ships commanding officers, because then they are working on their own insights, rather than the delay created by having them verbally delivered by the counsellor...

The problem is that Deanna was serving dual role as not only the ship's senior psychologist (a role as vital to a closed community as any doctor) but also as an adviser to Picard (a position for which, he had Riker, and the rest of the senior staff... Every minute she spent on the bridge, was time she wasn't holding surgeries and dealing with the psychological well-being of the rest of the crew... The concept was a nonsense one, and examining it in depth, makes the flaws more obvious...

Equally, Ezri was a counsellor, and she was not telepathic, so that's hardly a valid job criteria ;)

What surgeries? TNG is not set in the 20th Century with Lobotomies, Electroshock Therapy, and other brutal psychiatric procedures. Besides a Counselor has never conducted these type of barbaric procedures. They might have been able to recommend a patient for such a procedure, but that is it.

As far as the psychological well-being of the crew, most of the crew has to be psychologically stable to be on the flagship of the Federation. So Troi's only constant patient would be Barclay. So it is likely she has 2 to 3 hours of appointments each day in addition to her time on the bridge which could be anywhere from 0 hours to 4 hours in a day depending on the situation.

Riker and the rest of the senior staff had other jobs beside being an adviser. So every minute Crusher or La Forge was on the bridge was time they weren't taking care of Sickbay and Engineering. If Crusher and La Forge have time to advise Picard and do their main job means that Troi had time to advise Picard and take care of the psychological well-being of the crew as well.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    anyhow, my own take of starfleet in my stories, is that being out in space, for months or years....the dress codes are pretty flexible and liberal (look at Troi, until that ole iron butt jalico showed up) and crewmen will customize their looks. Hell, one on ship, the cap I made authorized an optional casual wear option, since 30 years in space is a long time and some comforts are gonna be needed, plus sometimes crew might be called for help during off times, etc.
    And as for Troi, an absolutely ludicrous character pandering to a ludicrous ethic of a ludicrous social ideology... The idea of a starship having a psychiatrist on board, perfect sense... The idea of a starship's captain needing his therapist holding his hand on the bridge, ludicrous... P

If more ships had counsellors with empathic or even better telepathic abilities, then they would be sitting right by the Captain as well. The whole purpose of Troi on the bridge was to give valuable insight into Picard's opponent.
    To which you're then getting into the realm of tokenism due to quotas, a holdover of the Politically Correct rhetoric...

Perhaps it would be easier to just say that only Betazoids can be ships commanding officers, because then they are working on their own insights, rather than the delay created by having them verbally delivered by the counsellor...

The problem is that Deanna was serving dual role as not only the ship's senior psychologist (a role as vital to a closed community as any doctor) but also as an adviser to Picard (a position for which, he had Riker, and the rest of the senior staff... Every minute she spent on the bridge, was time she wasn't holding surgeries and dealing with the psychological well-being of the rest of the crew... The concept was a nonsense one, and examining it in depth, makes the flaws more obvious...

Equally, Ezri was a counsellor, and she was not telepathic, so that's hardly a valid job criteria ;)

What surgeries? TNG is not set in the 20th Century with Lobotomies, Electroshock Therapy, and other brutal psychiatric procedures. Besides a Counselor has never conducted these type of barbaric procedures. They might have been able to recommend a patient for such a procedure, but that is it.

As far as the psychological well-being of the crew, most of the crew has to be psychologically stable to be on the flagship of the Federation. So Troi's only constant patient would be Barclay. So it is likely she has 2 to 3 hours of appointments each day in addition to her time on the bridge which could be anywhere from 0 hours to 4 hours in a day depending on the situation.

Riker and the rest of the senior staff had other jobs beside being an adviser. So every minute Crusher or La Forge was on the bridge was time they weren't taking care of Sickbay and Engineering. If Crusher and La Forge have time to advise Picard and do their main job means that Troi had time to advise Picard and take care of the psychological well-being of the crew as well.
    In the UK, when politicians have open sessions for their constituents, they are called surgeries... The building where a doctor practices medicine, is called a surgery... Swap the word 'surgeries' for 'appointments/sessions' if it helps, sorry for the confusion B)

Mental health on a starship, would be subject to the same pressures as aboard a submarine (ie it really needs monitoring) Dr Crusher was rarely on the bridge, where Deanna was essentially glued to Picard's side, acting solely as his consigliere, rather than being openly-available to the crew for her psychological expertise... Geordi was able to monitor engineering from the bridge engineering console, and any time things got serious, he would always excuse himself to go to where he was needed ;)

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Well I think Troi was a full psychiatrist or psychologist not just a counselor so she would be either a PHD (psychologist) or MD (psychiatrist), leaning towards PHD as she didn't seem overly informed on medical matters.
    I believe that in some instances, someone has to be an MD to practice psychiatry, but that may vary from region to region, and as above, I was using 'surgeries' to mean 'open for clients', not trepanning the crew or subjecting them to the Ludovico Technique ;)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Do we know what the requirements will be in the 23rd, 24th, or 25th Century for these Professions?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Do we know what the requirements will be in the 23rd, 24th, or 25th Century for these Professions?
    I don't think it matters if Troi has a doctorate...

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I looked it up before posting, as I said a psychologist is a PHD (or PsyD) & a psychiatrist is an MD, some "counselors" or therapists only have a Bachelor's degree.

OT: One of the funniest things I ever learned from Lois Lane take the word Therapist & add a space & you have The Rapist.
    It would be interesting to know which Deanna actually was (I'm leaning more towards PhD rather fhan MD)

And yup, Ms Lane certainly has a point :D

• Options
    It matters not one wit, but the speculation amongst the 'monks' was whether she had a PhD or an MD, meaning a Psychologist or Psychiatrist. Do they have the same meaning 300 or 400 years in the future? I mean 'Doctors' bloodlet the 'humors' out of patients in the before times. We don't do that now, do we?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It matters not one wit, but the speculation amongst the 'monks' was whether she had a PhD or an MD, meaning a Psychologist or Psychiatrist. Do they have the same meaning 300 or 400 years in the future? I mean 'Doctors' bloodlet the 'humors' out of patients in the before times. We don't do that now, do we?
    Also given that she was a Starfleet officer, would that even apply to her the same way?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Like I said, I couldn't care less either way, I certainly never raised the subject of qualifications, so why are you trying to make an issue about it?
  • Options
    Who's making an issue? Not I. You are not the one doing all this speculation on degree qualifications, so it is not directed in any way at you.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Who's making an issue? Not I. You are not the one doing all this speculation on degree qualifications, so it is not directed in any way at you.
    Yes you are; Here:

and here:
    The first person to mention the differences in doctorates regarding the issue was azrael, and since you clearly scorn the conversation/musings we were having, I see no reason for you to comment at all, other than to try and be contrary and provoke an argument :-\

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Mental health on a starship, would be subject to the same pressures as aboard a submarine (ie it really needs monitoring) Dr Crusher was rarely on the bridge, where Deanna was essentially glued to Picard's side, acting solely as his consigliere, rather than being openly-available to the crew for her psychological expertise... Geordi was able to monitor engineering from the bridge engineering console, and any time things got serious, he would always excuse himself to go to where he was needed ;)

A major difference between Troi vs. Crusher and La Forge is that Troi takes care of the mental health of patients through appointments while Crusher and La Forge have to be in Sickbay or Engineering in case of some emergency or make sure that someone competent is in Sickbay or Engineering. If Troi needs to head to the bridge for whatever reason, then she can always reschedule the appointment. The only psychological emergencies seem to come from Barclay or after a disaster occurs.

It is possible that the reason why Troi is always by the Captain's side on the bridge is that she is bored. Besides Barclay, the rest of the Enterprise's crew seem fairly well adjusted and might need only a monthly or annually appointment. So the time when she is on the bridge is her spare time.
  • Options

A major difference between Troi vs. Crusher and La Forge is that Troi takes care of the mental health of patients through appointments while Crusher and La Forge have to be in Sickbay or Engineering in case of some emergency or make sure that someone competent is in Sickbay or Engineering. If Troi needs to head to the bridge for whatever reason, then she can always reschedule the appointment. The only psychological emergencies seem to come from Barclay or after a disaster occurs.

It is possible that the reason why Troi is always by the Captain's side on the bridge is that she is bored. Besides Barclay, the rest of the Enterprise's crew seem fairly well adjusted and might need only a monthly or annually appointment. So the time when she is on the bridge is her spare time.
    That's certainly a fair point, but the rest is purely speculatory, and still doesn't address the point of why a starship captain needs a psychologist on the bridge with them on a near constant basis... Again, it was nothing more than 80s PC quirks, which, in the way it was presented, really was quite silly...

As I said, Picard had other officers whos jobs were to inform him 'of stuff'... Riker literally had no purpose other than to repeat Picard's orders and see them carried out, so he was certainly more than capable of acting as an adviser to Picard...

Equally, for all his character flaws and career apothy, Riker was at least a command-trained officer: His input and perspectives on issues were certainly valuable opinion. Deanna, on the other hand, offered little actual advice beyond a glimpse into an opponent's thoughts, and in instances requiring command--grade input, she was next to useless (such as when the Enterprise hit the cosmic filament, leaving her in charge, with O'Brien and Ro pretty much running the show for her, because she didn't really know what was happening, or how to deal with the situation)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
    And none of this talk about counselors and psychologists/psychiatrists and doctors and "surgeries" and degrees has anything to do with the OP's original question regarding STO uniforms. :/
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    Scorn is not the case at all. I merely pointed out we do not know what any of the requirements would be for this position in an imaginary future time. I have and had no intention of provoking an argument, but your cataloging crusade seems to fit that bill. I apologize if you thought those posts were about you, don't you.

Now as far as uniforms go, I have everyone Cryptic had to offer in the C-Store except the Racing one and would never pay the outrageous Dilithium prices that Cryptic charges for those they recently put in the Dilithium Store. I also own some, but not all, of the Lobi Uniforms as well as all of the Fleet Unlocks (except the K-13 as we have not progressed that far, yet).

When I outfit my crew, they usually get the same uniform, whatever I pick, with the same color. While a few of my Captains have an Odyssey outfit or two in the clothing selector, none use it as the standard uniform. Diplomatic Boffs can be tricky but it is doable.

Exceptions to the same coloring are my Temporal Recruit who, along with the Bridge Officers, use the 23rd Century ones, color coded for the Branch, except the Captain who uses pure White. My Federation Engineering Captain and landing crew have also recently switched over to the 23rd Century Uniforms as well.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    And none of this talk about counselors and psychologists/psychiatrists and doctors and "surgeries" and degrees has anything to do with the OP's original question regarding STO uniforms. :/
    The question had been answered, and the conversation moved on, with absolutely minimal engagement from the OP...
  • Options
    Scorn is not the case at all. I merely pointed out we do not know what any of the requirements would be for this position in an imaginary future time. I have and had no intention of provoking an argument, but your cataloging crusade seems to fit that bill. I apologize if you thought those posts were about you, don't you.

Now as far as uniforms go, I have everyone Cryptic had to offer in the C-Store except the Racing one and would never pay the outrageous Dilithium prices that Cryptic charges for those they recently put in the Dilithium Store. I also own some, but not all, of the Lobi Uniforms as well as all of the Fleet Unlocks (except the K-13 as we have not progressed that far, yet).

When I outfit my crew, they usually get the same uniform, whatever I pick, with the same color. While a few of my Captains have an Odyssey outfit or two in the clothing selector, none use it as the standard uniform. Diplomatic Boffs can be tricky but it is doable.

Exceptions to the same coloring are my Temporal Recruit who, along with the Bridge Officers, use the 23rd Century ones, color coded for the Branch, except the Captain who uses pure White. My Federation Engineering Captain and landing crew have also recently switched over to the 23rd Century Uniforms as well.
    If that wasn't your intention, then I apologize for misinterpreting your tone B)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User

Don't forget that her other purpose is to Kamikazi if all else fails
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    even withing the military today you have variations. I left before the new uniforms came online but for a while, if you were in the navy the summer uniforms ranged from the dress whites (crackerjacks) with the floppy neckerchief to Salt and peppers, (short sleeve white shirts with black uniform pants) to summer whites (white uniform pants with white short sleeve shirt) and beyond that, on ships you added dungaree working uniforms and utility uniforms, and coveralls. all may or may not be prescribed by the CO. now they have variation of khakis, camo fatigues and other types of dress.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    trekbrony wrote: »
    Such as Sierra, Antares, and Jupiter.

Antares was retconed to have been the 'canon' uniform style prior to the Odyssey was released. This is due to it's similarity to the uniforms seen in 'Countdown', the CBS/Paramount team up comic that leads up to STO.

The other Antares versions and all of the Sierra and Jupiter uniforms still exist but now never were 'official' uniforms.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    The question had been answered, and the conversation moved on, with absolutely minimal engagement from the OP...

Yes, many answers have been provided, but since we've not heard back from the OP, we don't know whether he/she has had their question answered to their satisfaction. And I didn't think the conversation was supposed to "move on" in a forum. Isn't that what's called derailing the thread? Shouldn't a new thread be started for new said topic? Don't get me wrong: fascinating stuff that you all are discussing, it's just that it's completely off topic.

Back to it then:
    artan42 wrote: »

Antares was retconed to have been the 'canon' uniform style prior to the Odyssey was released. This is due to it's similarity to the uniforms seen in 'Countdown', the CBS/Paramount team up comic that leads up to STO.

The other Antares versions and all of the Sierra and Jupiter uniforms still exist but now never were 'official' uniforms.​​

I thought it was the Sierra uniform that was retconned as the previous STO canon uniform before Odyssey.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Yes, many answers have been provided, but since we've not heard back from the OP, we don't know whether he/she has had their question answered to their satisfaction. And I didn't think the conversation was supposed to "move on" in a forum. Isn't that what's called derailing the thread? Shouldn't a new thread be started for new said topic? Don't get me wrong: fascinating stuff that you all are discussing, it's just that it's completely off topic.

Back to it then:

I thought it was the Sierra uniform that was retconned as the previous STO canon uniform before Odyssey.
    Two points:

1) The OPs level of return interaction on any of their threads, ranges from minimal, to non-existent. They strike me as someone who starts a conversation, reads the answers they want, and then feels no further need to participate, with even a 'thanks, that answered my question'... I may well be wrong, and to speculate further would be unkind...

2) Your comment about 'conversations not moving on', has the distinct tone of attempting to moderate a thread. You are not a moderator, and the moderators take a dim view of people attempting to moderate in their stead... B)

Good day B)

• Options

Back to it then:

Two points:

1) The OPs level of return interaction on any of their threads, ranges from minimal, to non-existent. They strike me as someone who starts a conversation, reads the answers they want, and then feels no further need to participate, with even a 'thanks, that answered my question'... I may well be wrong, and to speculate further would be unkind...

2) Your comment about 'conversations not moving on', has the distinct tone of attempting to moderate a thread. You are not a moderator, and the moderators take a dim view of people attempting to moderate in their stead... B)

Good day B)

Sorry, I didn't study up on the OP's forum habits before offering my own opinion of the topic. And I've returned to the thread only because I was interested in how others answered the OP... because I was interested in the topic.

Again, sorry, not meaning to impart a tone, as you say. Just asking to stay on topic.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options

Back to it then:

Two points:

Good day B)

Sorry, I didn't study up on the OP's forum habits before offering my own opinion of the topic. And I've returned to the thread only because I was interested in how others answered the OP... because I was interested in the topic.

Again, sorry, not meaning to impart a tone, as you say. Just asking to stay on topic.

No need to apologize B)

Good day B)