test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please explain the previous STO costumes.

Such as Sierra, Antares, and Jupiter.

Comments

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    They exist.
    It was before there was a uniform code with the appearance of the Odyssey uniform variants.
    The game always has had customization as its main selling points so they kept them and the rest.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    A bit off topic, but the tailor, one of the best features off this game. I can always go back to the tailor and remake make character. Did I say always? Always, which game has this?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    fovrel wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but the tailor, one of the best features off this game. I can always go back to the tailor and remake make character. Did I say always? Always, which game has this?

City of Heroes used to have this option. It even had a pack where you could choose which gender each costume was instead of being forced to a single gender like other MMOs. Made it easier to roleplay as Ranma, Mystique, or another shapechanger. Other MMOs would require purchasing a racial respec token to achieve this degree of freedom.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Those were the Starfleet uniforms, with the notion as jonsills posted in your other thread (and as darthmeow notes above) that a captain could set the uniform code for their own ship... Personally, I thought it was a stupid idea, as the idea of a uniform code, is that the uniform be uniform, albeit with variants, such as regular duty, dress, working-dress etc, which the uniform variations of those uniforms never really (to me) had the feel of, neither did they particularly shout 'Starfleet' in their design language... IMHO, they were simply generic sci-fi clothes... The Odyssey uniform, on the other hand, actually has a consistency across the line (again, see your other thread, for the variants which someone else has posted) and which all look like Starfleet uniforms... The other options (I'm loathe to call them 'uniforms') can be customized quite nicely to allow BOFF characters to be civilians, wearing civilian clothes, rather than Starfleet officers... All my BOFFs wear the current and correct Starfleet uniforms, which are still massively customizable within the framework of the listed examples... Some wear tactical uniforms, some of the female officers wear skirts, some are cadets... B)
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    The amount of customization for your appearance and that of your crew and ship, as well as mixing ship types with professions, and the amount of build customization of yourself, crew, and ship, are distinctive differentiators that make STO what it is.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    fovrel wrote: »
    Champions Online, STO's sister game. There are fairly frequent Costume Contests held by various supergroups (the Society of Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen (SODLaG), as often as not), where you can show off your characters and try to win prizes for either originality or conforming to the theme of the contest.

Examples -

Supermanx:
    Supermanx_zpssja0vjkq.png

Liberty Belle:
    Lady%20Liberty%20Front_zps7loh7y2v.png

Happifun Security System X-4:
    screenshot_2014-09-19-20-26-00_zpsad2b115b.jpg

And of course, the Duck Knight:
    TheDuckKnight_zps201f64a2.png​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Personally, I thought it was a stupid idea, as the idea of a uniform code, is that the uniform be uniform, albeit with variants, such as regular duty, dress, working-dress etc.

Which is true of modern militaries, but it wasn't that long ago that officers paid for their company's uniforms out of their own pocket and had tremendous power to customize the look of their command. Its far from without precedent. One sci-fi setting I work with regularly, the captains don't make those kinds of decisions, but the admirals do... so if you know your 'space heraldry' you can immediately identify which fleet someone on the monitor is part of by their livery. 'Hmm, short mantle and bracers over the end of the sleeves. Probably 11th fleet, Admiral Kirolan's people. Remember to say something nice about baseball...'

But to be fair, I had the exact same beef with the Green Lantern movie ;). Having been military myself, I'd probably be ok with a more restrictive game, but on the whole I think opening it up was a good call for the financial security of the product.
    the uniform variations of those uniforms never really (to me) had the feel of, neither did they particularly shout 'Starfleet' in their design language... IMHO, they were simply generic sci-fi clothes...

You've practically made a career out of telling us how incredibly narrow your vision of Star Trek is, so nobody paying attention is surprised you might feel that way :).
    The Odyssey uniform, on the other hand, actually has a consistency across the line (again, see your other thread, for the variants which someone else has posted) and which all look like Starfleet uniforms...

Have to agree. For a more purist player they did a nice job, and the semi-official color guides floating around are really fun to look at if you want to cleave to 'STO canon'. Gives their setting some welcome depth.

Most of my Federation captains and their BOffs subscribe to a uniform dress code, it's just unique to my account. I still color code by department as it makes it easier for me to take in which BOff's gotten where during a fight. I just have some extra colors like purple for my Intel officers and green for the 'chronotactical warfare' branch.
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Alittle off topic but isn't there an official uniform for intel too? Its not listed in the guide but you see Burgess and Vanzel wearing it and they are both Starfleet Intelligence. Its the Odyssey uniform with the black stripe.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    Personally, I thought it was a stupid idea, as the idea of a uniform code, is that the uniform be uniform, albeit with variants, such as regular duty, dress, working-dress etc.

Which is true of modern militaries, but it wasn't that long ago that officers paid for their company's uniforms out of their own pocket and had tremendous power to customize the look of their command. Its far from without precedent. One sci-fi setting I work with regularly, the captains don't make those kinds of decisions, but the admirals do... so if you know your 'space heraldry' you can immediately identify which fleet someone on the monitor is part of by their livery. 'Hmm, short mantle and bracers over the end of the sleeves. Probably 11th fleet, Admiral Kirolan's people. Remember to say something nice about baseball...'

But to be fair, I had the exact same beef with the Green Lantern movie ;). Having been military myself, I'd probably be ok with a more restrictive game, but on the whole I think opening it up was a good call for the financial security of the product.
    All well and good, but that simply does not apply to canon Star Trek, where the uniforms have essentially, always been consistent (other than the occasional Captain's Variant) I can understand it from an MMO perspective of offering players customizing options, but that doesn't make it fit the franchise the game is using, nor does it make those original STO uniforms really fit to Starfleet aesthetics... The Odyssey uniforms, on the other hand, do... B)

You've practically made a career out of telling us how incredibly narrow your vision of Star Trek is, so nobody paying attention is surprised you might feel that way :).
    Yes, it's called 'canon' :tongue:

The Odyssey uniforms look like a plausible evolution from the First Contact uniforms. The original STO ones, frankly, don't, and look more like biker's leathers/Metal Gear Solid stealth-suits ;)

Have to agree. For a more purist player they did a nice job, and the semi-official color guides floating around are really fun to look at if you want to cleave to 'STO canon'. Gives their setting some welcome depth.

Most of my Federation captains and their BOffs subscribe to a uniform dress code, it's just unique to my account. I still color code by department as it makes it easier for me to take in which BOff's gotten where during a fight. I just have some extra colors like purple for my Intel officers and green for the 'chronotactical warfare' branch.
    It's a shame that the actual variants on the color guides aren't available (or are they Fleet unlocks?) such as the pocketed and clearly armored field uniforms, but switching the colors just on the basic components, I find is an acceptable compromise B)

I like the idea of the green, is that from the idea floating round the net of Starfleet Marines having a green uniform division, or the Peter David novel Imzadi, where the Starfleet of that future, wore green uniforms? My Intel-serving officers have the black/charcoal stripe, as worn by Cmdrs Burgess and Van Zyl, where the one who I just have as an engineering BOFF, is in operations gold B)

• Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited November 2016

The Odyssey uniforms look like a plausible evolution from the First Contact uniforms. The original STO ones, frankly, don't, and look more like biker's leathers/Metal Gear Solid stealth-suits ;)

Wrath of Khan uniforms don't much resemble TOS, either. Nor do TNG resemble Wrath of Khan. There's plenty of precedent in canon for new uniforms--especially considering this is thirty-odd years after the last canon entry with the First Contact uniforms--bearing little resemblance to the old.
  • Options

Wrath of Khan uniforms don't much resemble TOS, either. Nor do TNG resemble Wrath of Khan. There's plenty of precedent in canon for new uniforms--especially considering this is thirty-odd years after the last canon entry with the First Contact uniforms--bearing little resemblance to the old.
    That's certainly true B) Personally, I prefer both the appearance of the Odyssey uniforms, and the idea of Starfleet having a uniform uniform policy...

Customization is nice, but (to me at least) there comes a point where I find it immersion-breaking... (YMMV) For example, does someone want to play Star Trek, or City of Heroes, or HALO...

• Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited November 2016

That's certainly true B) Personally, I prefer both the appearance of the Odyssey uniforms, and the idea of Starfleet having a uniform uniform policy...

Customization is nice, but (to me at least) there comes a point where I find it immersion-breaking... (YMMV) For example, does someone want to play Star Trek, or City of Heroes, or HALO...

Personally I prefer Wrath of Khan; it's about the only Starfleet uniform that actually looks like something a rational, professional organization would actually wear. (Well, there's also the Enterprise-era jumpsuits, extrapolated from NASA outfits, but they're not my cup of tea.) The technicolor uniforms from TOS, the various TNG-onward jumpsuits... I just cannot imagine professionals--outside of the entertainment industry, obviously--actually wearing such things.

As for immersion, I've personally got a simple standard: immersion is all well and good, but what's fun is ultimately what's more important in a video game.
  • Options
    The Sierra, Antares, and Jupiter seems to be built to last unlike the official Star Trek uniforms. The official Star Trek uniforms seem to be built around naivety with its lack of protection in a cruel universe while the Sierra, Antares, and Jupiter seem like they can provide some protection against a console explosion.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    Those were the Starfleet uniforms, with the notion as jonsills posted in your other thread (and as darthmeow notes above) that a captain could set the uniform code for their own ship... Personally, I thought it was a stupid idea, as the idea of a uniform code, is that the uniform be uniform, albeit with variants, such as regular duty, dress, working-dress etc, which the uniform variations of those uniforms never really (to me) had the feel of, neither did they particularly shout 'Starfleet' in their design language... IMHO, they were simply generic sci-fi clothes... The Odyssey uniform, on the other hand, actually has a consistency across the line (again, see your other thread, for the variants which someone else has posted) and which all look like Starfleet uniforms... The other options (I'm loathe to call them 'uniforms') can be customized quite nicely to allow BOFF characters to be civilians, wearing civilian clothes, rather than Starfleet officers... All my BOFFs wear the current and correct Starfleet uniforms, which are still massively customizable within the framework of the listed examples... Some wear tactical uniforms, some of the female officers wear skirts, some are cadets... B)

To me, I feel Starfleet is not the army, and even in the older time, like vietnam, some of the boys would alter their uniforms and gear. Hell, in "aliens" the marines did customizing. In Japan, the school kids, not thrilled of uniforms, would customize their own a bit, lil bits here and there in their own defiance.

anyhow, my own take of starfleet in my stories, is that being out in space, for months or years....the dress codes are pretty flexible and liberal (look at Troi, until that ole iron butt jalico showed up) and crewmen will customize their looks. Hell, one on ship, the cap I made authorized an optional casual wear option, since 30 years in space is a long time and some comforts are gonna be needed, plus sometimes crew might be called for help during off times, etc.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Personally I prefer Wrath of Khan; it's about the only Starfleet uniform that actually looks like something a rational, professional organization would actually wear. (Well, there's also the Enterprise-era jumpsuits, extrapolated from NASA outfits, but they're not my cup of tea.) The technicolor uniforms from TOS, the various TNG-onward jumpsuits... I just cannot imagine professionals--outside of the entertainment industry, obviously--actually wearing such things.
    I agree, the Wrath of Khan uniforms were pretty sharp and looked professional, compared to the others... Don't forget, the uniforms were created (not only at Gene's dictations) but also used to easily and immediately convey the character archetype to the viewer... B) IMHO, the First Contact era uniforms convey more of the 'professional standard' that you're saying about the WoK uniforms, and I think the Odyssey uniforms continue that theme B)

As for immersion, I've personally got a simple standard: immersion is all well and good, but what's fun is ultimately what's more important in a video game.
    I was meaning, it breaks my immersion, to be in a social zone and see all sorts of outlandish costumes displayed... Like I said, it's a Star Trek game -- I expect the characters I see to look like Star Trek characters, not garish Space Barbies and HALO wannabes standing around... I just tell myself, like the crewman notes when an AoY character transitions from 23rd to 25th century, that they've come from the holodeck... And before someone pulls an IDIC Godwin, sure, people can dress their characters how they want, that's not what I'm saying... What I'm saying, is that it's a Star Trek Game, not Spaceships and Battles (or any other generic sci-fi theme) and I would have thought that people want to play a Star Trek game, due to wanting to partake in the Trek-verse, so I can't understand why they would want do so in such an out-of-verse context of huge armors and other non-verse costume... ([Edit] They're certainly free to do what they want, I'm just saying that I don't get it, and that I find it immersion-breaking to see...I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to, just that I don't get it, and can't see the point why someone would want to play a Star Trek game without all that goes with Star Trek... YMMV) Yesterday, I saw a character on DS-9, who was clearly intended to represent the appearance of a US Marine in full dress uniform... It looked good, but I did think 'why?' (perhaps Daniels pulled them from the 21st Century rather than the 23rd ;) )

Do I have some characters not in Starfleet uniforms? Yes... three BOFFs who are civilians, rather than officers, but all the 40-something others, including my playables*, are in current game-canon uniforms...

Post edited by marcusdkane on
  • Options
    edited November 2016

To me, I feel Starfleet is not the army, and even in the older time, like vietnam, some of the boys would alter their uniforms and gear. Hell, in "aliens" the marines did customizing. In Japan, the school kids, not thrilled of uniforms, would customize their own a bit, lil bits here and there in their own defiance.
    Is Starfleet a military... That's a whole nother topic for debate ;) I would point out that it is an organization, and organizations like NATO and the US Coast Guard, still expect their personnel to wear uniform and behave in a 'millitary-manner', and Starfleet is clearly along those lines... I've heard that the behaviour of American troops during the Vietnam war, is why the modern US Army is so disciplined -- they don't want to be seen in the same way, nor to let things get that out of hand again in terms of discipline... I hadn't heard that about Japanese school kids, but I know the pressures that they are put under has a massive suicide-rate, which they try to keep quiet ;)
    anyhow, my own take of starfleet in my stories, is that being out in space, for months or years....the dress codes are pretty flexible and liberal (look at Troi, until that ole iron butt jalico showed up) and crewmen will customize their looks. Hell, one on ship, the cap I made authorized an optional casual wear option, since 30 years in space is a long time and some comforts are gonna be needed, plus sometimes crew might be called for help during off times, etc.
    Which is only your take on how you want to make the Verse fit your characters ;) And as for Troi, an absolutely ludicrous character pandering to a ludicrous ethic of a ludicrous social ideology... The idea of a starship having a psychiatrist on board, perfect sense... The idea of a starship's captain needing his therapist holding his hand on the bridge, ludicrous... People hate on Jellico 'because he wasn't Picard'... The man was a Professional, who got the Job Done, who expected the people around him to also Be Professional and Do Their Jobs... He was actually a very good character... Putting Troi back in uniform, IMHO made her a more plausible and serious character B)

As for 30 years in space, I don't know what crazy juice you've been drinking, but unless your characters are all Immortals (or maybe Vulcans :tongue: ) 30 years in space is a bit of an exaggeration ;) In This Game, characters go back to home-base fairly regularly* ;)

*Actually, it might be fun to roll a new toon and see how long it's possible to go without returning to ESD... While levelling up, it's essential every few missions just to get the new ship upon promotion, but after that, in theory, a character need only return to base to customize a new ship, use the exchange, or get new crew members, the missions themselves, can be hailed while in space... I actually try and avoid ESD as much as possible, as the lag I experience there can sometimes be crippling (rather than blaming Cryptic's servers, I'm going to say it could be the loan PC) and massively frustrating to deal with...
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    It's a shame that the actual variants on the color guides aren't available (or are they Fleet unlocks?) such as the pocketed and clearly armored field uniforms, but switching the colors just on the basic components, I find is an acceptable compromise B)
    They are fleet unlocks.

Gotta say, every time I look at you sig, I think "I'm the captain, that's why I get the special chair!"

"Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User
    trekbrony wrote: »

They were the Starfleet uniform from 2386-2409. Then Odyssey arrived in 2410. Only discrepancy is that all NPCs in 2409 episodes/instances are wearing Odyssey too now, indicating a fracture in the space-time continuum.
  • Options
    bergins wrote: »
    They are fleet unlocks.

Gotta say, every time I look at you sig, I think "I'm the captain, that's why I get the special chair!"
    Ahh, that makes sense B)

Hee hee, T'Karra has said that before ;)

• Options
    And as for Troi, an absolutely ludicrous character pandering to a ludicrous ethic of a ludicrous social ideology... The idea of a starship having a psychiatrist on board, perfect sense... The idea of a starship's captain needing his therapist holding his hand on the bridge, ludicrous... P

If more ships had counsellors with empathic or even better telepathic abilities, then they would be sitting right by the Captain as well. The whole purpose of Troi on the bridge was to give valuable insight into Picard's opponent.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    The whole purpose of Troi on the bridge was to give valuable insight into Picard's opponent.
    In theory, of course.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    walligig wrote: »
    Alittle off topic but isn't there an official uniform for intel too? Its not listed in the guide but you see Burgess and Vanzel wearing it and they are both Starfleet Intelligence. Its the Odyssey uniform with the black stripe.
    Yeah, it's not drastically different. Just a little bit off.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,455 Community Moderator
    trekbrony wrote: »

Just my opinion, but the Antares would appear to be an evolution or variation on the TOS uniforms, Sierra on the TNG uniforms, and Jupiter on the TWOK uniforms.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I was watching The Cage the other day (well, the episode made from The Cage) and back during Christopher Pike's era there was a woman dressed like Gidget and a guy in shorts walking down the hallway of the Enterprise

Maybe they were off duty. But it was rather jarring.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    I was watching The Cage the other day (well, the episode made from The Cage) and back during Christopher Pike's era there was a woman dressed like Gidget and a guy in shorts walking down the hallway of the Enterprise

latest?cb=20110930172726&path-prefix=en
    You mean those. Yeah the script actually specified they were off-duty.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    And as for Troi, an absolutely ludicrous character pandering to a ludicrous ethic of a ludicrous social ideology... The idea of a starship having a psychiatrist on board, perfect sense... The idea of a starship's captain needing his therapist holding his hand on the bridge, ludicrous... P

If more ships had counsellors with empathic or even better telepathic abilities, then they would be sitting right by the Captain as well. The whole purpose of Troi on the bridge was to give valuable insight into Picard's opponent.
    To which you're then getting into the realm of tokenism due to quotas, a holdover of the Politically Correct rhetoric...

Perhaps it would be easier to just say that only Betazoids can be ships commanding officers, because then they are working on their own insights, rather than the delay created by having them verbally delivered by the counsellor...

The problem is that Deanna was serving dual role as not only the ship's senior psychologist (a role as vital to a closed community as any doctor) but also as an adviser to Picard (a position for which, he had Riker, and the rest of the senior staff... Every minute she spent on the bridge, was time she wasn't holding surgeries and dealing with the psychological well-being of the rest of the crew... The concept was a nonsense one, and examining it in depth, makes the flaws more obvious...

Equally, Ezri was a counsellor, and she was not telepathic, so that's hardly a valid job criteria ;)

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »

latest?cb=20110930172726&path-prefix=en
    You mean those. Yeah the script actually specified they were off-duty.

Also, there were civilian specialists onboard starships and starbases who Star Fleet had contracted/hired for certain missions who weren't required to have a specific dress code.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

To which you're then getting into the realm of tokenism due to quotas, a holdover of the Politically Correct rhetoric...

Perhaps it would be easier to just say that only Betazoids can be ships commanding officers, because then they are working on their own insights, rather than the delay created by having them verbally delivered by the counsellor...

The problem is that Deanna was serving dual role as not only the ship's senior psychologist (a role as vital to a closed community as any doctor) but also as an adviser to Picard (a position for which, he had Riker, and the rest of the senior staff... Every minute she spent on the bridge, was time she wasn't holding surgeries and dealing with the psychological well-being of the rest of the crew... The concept was a nonsense one, and examining it in depth, makes the flaws more obvious...

Equally, Ezri was a counsellor, and she was not telepathic, so that's hardly a valid job criteria ;)

She certainly had a lot of past life experience that would help with her counsellor duties. :smiley: