test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Solution for "Error 2: File Not Found" ???

So I wanted to start playing STO for the first time ever this morning, but it sure is not going well. I download the first several parts to the game/patch, but now I keep getting "Error 2: File not found" with it restarting every 10 seconds. The patch it is trying to download is ST.66.20161016a.17

What is the solution? Getting very frustrated at this point and am just about to give up.
Post edited by lowleft#8801 on

Comments

• Options
    lowleft#8801 lowleft Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Nobody else has had this problem...?
  • Options
    jadyvarionjadyvarion Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I experience the same problem :'(
  • Options
    Did you find a solution?
  • Options
    rasvajrasvaj Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem ... I have no solution
  • Options
    Well I guess it is at least something to know that others are having the same problem.

I was hoping to play the game tonight, but that is seeming to be something of a pipe dream right now. I have over 15 gigs of several patches downloaded at this point, but now it just errors out immediately.
  • Options
    chaseparkerorionchaseparkerorion Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I'm also having this issue, for some reason I was prompted to reinstall the entire game when I went to log in this morning, now I am stuck on the same issue as described above.
  • Options
    mrmeirwright#4976 mrmeirwright Member Posts: 3 New User
    I'm also having the same problem and reinstalling the game did not solve the issue.

It's not very encouraging for a new player like me to discover that I can't play the game, is it?
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing. New to the game and I just got the Star Trek Attack Wing code for the free STO ship. I was about to drop the $$$ on the Lifetime Membership. Cant even get the game to download let alone play... I'm happy I didn't spend the money on the membership now or I would be really upset!
  • Options
    rasidhrasidh Member Posts: 3 New User
    I havent played this in many years but today I got some ST fever and decided to check it out again BUT:

I have the same issue, same message. I started download from their webpage but then decided to try
    again with steam(didnt know it was at steam first) but it is the same.
    This has to be an issue with their servers and not us. Pls fix it asap.
  • Options
    iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    I played just fine yesterday. When i tried today Arc told me i needed to install STO and now my patch made it to 99% and then this message. Luckily when it restarted it only tried patching that missing 1% but after getting it down to 8k left it now just gives the error message without trying to dl anything.
  • Options
    germandadgermandad Member Posts: 1 New User
    same problem here. arc launcher told me that i need to reinstall STO.
    after that i got stuck in the launcher with the "error 2: file missing" problem.

forced check did not help.
    i'm just trying with "only needed stuff patched" deactivated (don't know how that option sounds in english, in german its "bedarfsgesteuerter patch").
  • Options
    died2kdied2k Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Happening to me too. I've force verified and reinstalled twice, not to mention this is on a fresh windows install. I launched the game with the "-console" command and got the following errors:
    Connecting to patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255
    PatchClientLib: connecting to patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to 208.95.184.30:7255
    PatchClientLib: skipping unneeded autoupdate CrypticLauncher3ST
    PatchClientLib: successfully connected
    AutopatchDialog thread shutting down
    GamePrefsInit: giGamePrefSet now 0
    Displaying status message: Connecting to Account Server
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker0.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker1.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker2.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker3.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker4.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker5.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker6.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker7.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker8.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
    While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker9.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
    Displaying status message: Attempting to connect to controller tracker..
    Displaying status message: Loading launcher
    [1119/153605:INFO:CONSOLE(0)] "Select shard: 0," source: http://launcher.startrekonline.com/static/all/js/api.js(117)
    startPatch, new Startrek:Holodeck
    Connecting with root C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online_en/Star Trek Online/Live
    PatchClientLib: connecting to patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to 208.95.186.243:7255
    PatchClientLib: successfully connected
    Setting view by name (attempt 1): StartrekClientEnglish
    Setting view by name (attempt 2): StartrekClient
    PatchClientLib: Using HTTP patching: server level3.stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com port 80 prefix Startrek
    Loading manifest: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online_en/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.manifest...done
    Loading hoggs...done. (0.39)
    Deleting files...done (0 deleted). (0.00)
    Deleting rogue files...done (0 deleted). (0.00)
    Examining hoggs...done. (0.94)
    PatchClientLib Error: XFER_FILENOTFOUND LightFX.dll
    The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 2
    File not found - Error discovered during a file complete callback.
    PatchClientLib Error: The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 2
    File not found - LightFX.dll
    The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 2
    File not found - LightFX.dll
    PatchClientLib Error: The patchclientlib is returning error code : 2
    File not found
    The patchclientlib is returning error code : 2
    File not found
    Error 2: File not found. Restart in 10.
    Error 2: File not found. Restart in 9.

Seems that the patch servers are missing "LightFX.dll".
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Here you go guys, I uploaded my LightFX.dll file to Dropbox so you can download it and copy it to your install of STO... once you copy it to the 'Star Trek Online\Live' folder - Force Verify files again:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcyy7jnfua50rix/LightFX.dll?dl=0
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    damosh#3369 damosh Member Posts: 1 New User
    same story. first time player, unable to get the install to work, same file not found error. not encouraging in the least. wasn't able to get it working copying in your LightFX.dll file.
  • Options
    phylok1phylok1 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Same here.
  • Options
    lonewolfa11lonewolfa11 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    getting same error

161120 03:00:44 2 [1] ESC : Unrecognized command: track offer_id:134\nUnknown command \qtrack\q.
    161120 03:00:52 28 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 2\nFile not found - Error discovered during a file complete callback.
    161120 03:00:52 30 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 2\nFile not found - LightFX.dll
    161120 03:00:52 32 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 2\nFile not found
    161120 03:18:17 2059 [1]: HTTP patching problem (BadHttpResponse):
    161120 04:20:29 1 [1] ESC : Unrecognized command: track trans_id:102f27257f7516e2a1993b9a644962\nUnknown command \qtrack\q.
    161120 04:20:29 2 [1] ESC : Unrecognized command: track offer_id:134\nUnknown command \qtrack\q.
    161120 04:20:38 25 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 2\nFile not found - Error discovered during a file complete callback.
    161120 04:20:38 27 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 2\nFile not found - LightFX.dll
    161120 04:20:38 29 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 2\nFile not found
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,656 Arc User
    Sounds like one fo the patch servers got corrupted again. Try setting the proxy to a different country, that might get you a different patch server that doesn't have the issue.
  • Options
    I've tried a force verification, downloaded the lightfx.dll from above. Tried the different proxys. Still not working.
  • Options
    brancox5#2032 brancox5 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Same problem here :/
  • Options
    I'd recommend everyone having the issue open a ticket. More likely to get it fixed quicker then just posting here.
  • Options
    brancox5#2032 brancox5 Member Posts: 3 New User
    How can we do that? I'm kinda new here
  • Options
    https://support.arcgames.com/app/home. On the left side there is the Contact support button. From there you can submit a ticket.
  • Options
    kendolphkendolph Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Same thing - all night :(
  • Options
    rasidhrasidh Member Posts: 3 New User
    Sent ticket, suggest everyone to also do it, the faster it gets fixed.(hopefully)
  • Options
    doombugdoombug Member Posts: 1 New User
    I confirm the very same problem. I started the patcher both from steam and from the explorer (with full administrative rights and compatibility settings to windows 7 and 8). Friends of mine have also reported that the game patching does not work.
    A few years ago, i had also had some issues geting it to work, although i do not know if it was the same error.

I have done a little research into it:

The LightFX.DLL is an alienware driver for keyboard lights. It is used by software to steer the lights of your alienware keyboard / laptop. Installing it on non-alienware systems makes no sense, resulting in standard windows systems not having it. Therefore, the patcher does not find it when requested.

Disabling alienware support by entering "-gfxAlienwareEnable 0" in the launcher options does also not help the patcher missing this file, and shutting down with an error.

It SEEMS, that some of the files have been compiled on an alienware system, this lighting feature has been included and the patcher seems to assume this file would need to exist on every device.

Seems the patcher also urgently needs a "non alienware system" option. ;o)
  • Options
    ethannyteethannyte Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Yep same problem and Have sent in a ticket for it. But as of yet no response. Apparently this has happened before back in 2015 and they had to reboot the server
  • Options
    stokered2stokered2 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I can't access the game either, with Error 2:File can't be found.
  • Options
    Still an issue this morning it seems.
  • Options
    iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    how do you force verify?
  • Options
    mcshave#8571 mcshave Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same here, trying STO for the first time today. Error 2. Good start.

I guess there is nothing to do but submit a ticket and try later.