test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

widening gap - good for the game?

Today I have visited the K13 stations and noted that one can get improved traits for 100k FC and 20k or so Dilithium.
I like the idea of upgrading traits. At the same time I wondered how this would affect the game. btw: I have 18 toons, and at that price I won't be able to upgrade all of them - that's what got me thinking

New Players won't havve the trait - their damage Output/survivability will not Change. The high Price also makes it difficult for many casual Players to get those traits. But if some Players get that trait, the average damage Output may rise -> powercreep is surely followed by harder PvEs. New Players will still do advanced Queues and not do the required damage. Therefore good Players will only do private ones, meaning that pugs will more likely fail.

Imo grinding for better gear keeps us in the game and makes it more interesting. However the high Price makes it hard to get for newer Players. What are your opinions on that? Should the Price stay? Should the game rather Focus on combining skills to improve build rather than do the grind to unlock and therefore be better Thing? Or should there be a unlock that you have to do to join advanced Queues? should the powercreep be ignored and PvEs stay at current Level - or - like some newer PvEs - not the fighting/damage done be so important?
18 characters
KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
TOS: 1 tac
all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
highest DPS: 60.982

Comments

• Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    20k dilith is not hard to earn and the 100k FC is not gonna be a bother either gonna take a couple days yes but super simple and all players have the traits in that store not that they even need em to do well.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I find the expense of much of the new items to be disturbing. Im a casual player with 12 characters and even my 3 " main"s have a hard time finding the resources for some of the new things. Hell,, just when I get enough items to get a rep set, a NEW rep starts and I have to start all over again. Another thing that's bothering me lately is this: Higher Tier gear is expensive, however is it any " better"? I recently spend a couple weeks grinding out to get the Iconian space set on one of my characters. I have to say im NOT impressed. Sure its not MK XIV SUPER AWESOME, but MK XIII Ultra rare should be sufficient for PVE.. well,, disappointment ensues.
    So as not to go off on a tangent,, back on topic,, I'm not sure what Cryptic plans to do about powercreep simply because in the past they haven't done much. Sure, they gave the baddies 3 times the HP, but that was pretty quickly neutralized when the upgrade system was rolled out. Also, lately it seems SOME baddies spam certain abilities that just make missions annoying. So while the min/maxxer can blow through an STF solo in 4 seconds. A Casual player who likes to Enjoy STO dies 3 times. Adjusting baddy HP to give the min/maxxers a challenge, could very well end up chasing away casual players who don't have the time/patience/resources to make all their gear MK XX UBER AWESOME SUPER AMAZING
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    neos472 wrote: »
    20k dilith is not hard to earn and the 100k FC is not gonna be a bother either gonna take a couple days yes but super simple and all players have the traits in that store not that they even need em to do well.

yep - but if you want to upgrade 6 traits on 10 toons, that's 1,2M Dil and 6M fleet credit. And you also have to get consoles...

I am KDF fleet lead and there are maybe 2-3 People donating Dilithium (so currently it's mostly me) - with most Holdings fully upgraded and provisioned it's not that easy to earn FC - unless you donate Dilithium (otherwise projects won't kick off) which no one seems to be willing to do.

18 characters
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    hugin1205 wrote: »

yep - but if you want to upgrade 6 traits on 10 toons, that's 1,2M Dil and 6M fleet credit. And you also have to get consoles...

I am KDF fleet lead and there are maybe 2-3 People donating Dilithium (so currently it's mostly me) - with most Holdings fully upgraded and provisioned it's not that easy to earn FC - unless you donate Dilithium (otherwise projects won't kick off) which no one seems to be willing to do.

my question to you is why in the name of all that is dear would ya do ALL your characters just do the ones that are your best characters even with all my characters I plan on doing 5 at best and even then only ones that actually matter to those characters since getting each and every one is silly like the energy weapon accuracy or defense traits there are just some ya do not need.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited November 2016

my question to you is why in the name of all that is dear would ya do ALL your characters just do the ones that are your best characters even with all my characters I plan on doing 5 at best and even then only ones that actually matter to those characters since getting each and every one is silly like the energy weapon accuracy or defense traits there are just some ya do not need.

Yep. The vast majority of players only bother to get one or two toons up to end game spec. I have 9 toons, only three of which are level 60 and I have only bothered to get all mk XII gear on 4 of them. The rest are basically ones I played around with and use to farm dil or as spare bank space at this point so mk X or XI is plenty for them. They're all good enough to run events on normal so I can get the dil from them if needed, but there's no reason to bother with getting them mk XIV gold stuff like my main toon has built up over the last 1.5 years.

What it comes down to is Cryptic does not design the game with the thought that people are going to play 6 toons and get them all to be ultimate end-game builds. They design it with the average I-have-three-character-slots player who usually only play one of them in mind. Anything beyond that is the customers prerogative.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Never forget...they want you to get your wallet out and buy Zen to exchange for dilithium.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    I am not trying to get all my specs trees maxed out - but strategy was introduced later and I prefer it over Pilot - but had Pilot already. So I Need more xp to get 15 specs points in strategy - and who knows what specs tree there'll be next. maybe something that works fine with my engineers or scis...
    18 characters
  • Options
    edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    Life is choices.
    If you choose to upgrade every alt to max(<things>) that is your choice.
    It is not required to buy anything at K-13.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I am not trying to get all my specs trees maxed out - but strategy was introduced later and I prefer it over Pilot - but had Pilot already. So I Need more xp to get 15 specs points in strategy - and who knows what specs tree there'll be next. maybe something that works fine with my engineers or scis...

The Admiralty system is your friend. Even if you don't have a lot of ships, it's much faster to use it than it is to get spec points through combat, especially if you do the Federation campaign which grants 2 extras with every completion. Hunt down cheap-ish ships from the Exchange to bolster your stable of ships; T5 lockbox ships can be had for a a couple hundred thousand EC on a regular basis thanks to the Infinity boxes. To boost your EC gain to get them, play on Advanced instead of normal; it's not that much harder, but you get a lot more green and blue gear drops that can be recycled for EC (plus you get a decent amount of extra combat and ship XP from playing on it). You shouldn't have much issue with Advanced as long as you have weapons and damage consoles of Mk X purple or higher. On Elite the rewards in XP and loot go up dramatically, but until you have everything at Mk XIV purple or higher the kills take too long to be worthwhile.

Also do all of the Featured Episodes as they come out, and you get one free spec point per week when they are running plus a big XP gain from completing them the first time.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    But if some Players get that trait, the average damage Output may rise -> powercreep is surely followed by harder PvEs.

Oh, I wish.

In STO, powercreep is only followed by easier PvEs.
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    But if some Players get that trait, the average damage Output may rise -> powercreep is surely followed by harder PvEs.

Oh, I wish.

And boredom ...

Qapla!
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

Oh, I wish.

And boredom ...

Qapla!

that'S because PvEs are grinding - you grind to get better stuff to do better in PvEs which you basically do to grind....
    some time ago I used to grind to be able to make good builds and then go into PvP - which was challenging and fun. But PvP is dead and it's onl grinding. Most of the Players I used to Team up with stopped playing.

18 characters
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edrogen wrote: »
    Life is choices.
    THIS^

If you already use a trait as part of your build, then improving it might be worthwhile. But buying it just because it's there? umm.... well it's your resources.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Life is choices.
    THIS^

If you already use a trait as part of your build, then improving it might be worthwhile. But buying it just because it's there? umm.... well it's your resources.

hmm...yes...this Topic is about serious Players getting the Upgrades and casual Players not - therefore the gap will be widening. Not if it'S a wise/neccesary way to spend ressources.
    Some years back the players' DPS probably ranged from 3k to 50k - now from 5k to 300k or so.

18 characters
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    If it gets problematic they will just nerf it to the ground like they did with rep passives.

I say let K13 run its course (suck dil out of pockets) then we will see.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Once you have some key lock-box space traits, you're not gonna be using K-13 traits anyway. They're a nice intermediate fill for people who never get zenni-grade stuff, but they're still the masses having a chance to catch up, not the apex predators pulling further away...
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Seriously? 100K FM per trait?

On Tribble, it was a more reasonable 20K FM and 3,400 Dil; which was consistent with other upgrades from previous holdings. I'm hoping this is a bug like the 100K FM training manuals were...
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    As a casual player who is on the fence about joining a fleet or not, I am not overly concerned. But I do hope that new elite ground missions will not as tough or tougher then MIE. I have seen many Romulans and Na'khuls needing to be shot as many as 5 times with Boolean Gun before finally dying.

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    the thing that is disturbing is that to gain any of it one is once again forced to join a fleet. Cryptic once again creating an elite class vs the casual player
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    Life is choices.
    THIS^

hmm...yes...this Topic is about serious Players getting the Upgrades and casual Players not - therefore the gap will be widening. Not if it'S a wise/neccesary way to spend ressources.
    Some years back the players' DPS probably ranged from 3k to 50k - now from 5k to 300k or so.

Obvious troll is obvious, seriously.
    Your original post complained about not being able to upgrade 18 alts, that's not serious.
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    the thing that is disturbing is that to gain any of it one is once again forced to join a fleet.

I don't see an issue with that. This is a multi-player game so expect some perks on joining social groups. A casual player can still join a fleet anyway. There is nothing "elite" about players in fleets.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    the thing that is disturbing is that to gain any of it one is once again forced to join a fleet. Cryptic once again creating an elite class vs the casual player

and this a bad thing why?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    fluorescentblackfluorescentblack Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Wider gaps are good as long as the gap expanses are mainly skill based. This is the single thing this game seems to be missing instead focusing on grinding with a pay for convenience option. Overall I believe the grind and pay is linked well but the satisfaction for an awesome accomplishment that is not grind based is from what I can tell non existant.

Double S ranking an entire Armored Core or Ace combat game, Golding all licenses in a Gran Turismo Game with all aids off. These kind of accomplishments where you actually did accomplish something are not in the game at all. I am suspect that the better you do overall the faster you gain special points and level up, so again. It's the grind based play and while we all accept it some more than others there are far better models that can be applied.

By all means point out any non grind based accomplishments or accolades already in game.

I wanted to add that I am aware and occasionally practice my own rewarding play choices such as flying T3 ships and whatnot.
    Leader of The Temporal Guard and Temporal Defence Force
  • Options
    ryghanryghan Member Posts: 138 Arc User

Who says Casual Players can't join Fleets? I'm a casual player and in a Fleet - I know several others who are both as well. There are Fleets out there that don't require you to be "hard core"; it isn't like in so many other MMORPGS where you *HAVE* to be hard core to reach end game and play it.....

Any "Elite Class" in STO is, imho, *not* because of Fleets...

• Options
    fluorescentblackfluorescentblack Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    You don't need to join fleet. All the content can be completed on elite mode without any fleet stuff (This could be one of those piloting a T3 just because things). For me it's better to be in a fleet but it is far from required.
    Leader of The Temporal Guard and Temporal Defence Force
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,052 Community Moderator

Not entirely accurate. I'm pretty casual and I'm in a fleet. Just gotta find a casual fleet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Life is choices.
    THIS^

Obvious troll is obvious, seriously.
    Your original post complained about not being able to upgrade 18 alts, that's not serious.

Did I? Not really - I wrote that that got me thinking. And yes, I will not be able to upgrade all - hence the gap between my main and the lower toons will widen - but the same holds true for new Players and pros - as I wrote in the OP

18 characters