test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Klingon warrior in skirt?

Comments

• Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    We are playing a game with faster-than-light ships, lazer/particle Mwgawatt guns and extremely high capacity bstterys, g-force ignoring dampeners, ships shooting artificial mini blackhole gravity wells....
    But eamn it skirt is tooo unrealistic
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Skipped most of the posts but a question for you guys... did any of you notice that the skirts the Duras sisters wore were at least below the knee if not to the ankles / floor?

So where are those skirts for female klingons?
    I'm not sure without checking if the Talaxian skirts are available to Klingon women, but they are long, as are the robes...
  • Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Skipped most of the posts but a question for you guys... did any of you notice that the skirts the Duras sisters wore were at least below the knee if not to the ankles / floor?

If we use Japan as a comparison, Japanese culture retained traditional values for a longer period than most other cultures. Although the process started much earlier, the real modernisation of Japan and changes in the clothing worn by Japanese people only really happened relatively recently. You only have to look at how young Japanese women dress to see how quickly the process has evolved.

Since the TNG era, the Empire has been forced to have more cultural ties with other races/species especially with Humans in the STO timeline and I would guess that traditional values especially with regard to clothing have been diluted by the disruptive influence of Humans. In effect Klingon society is probably entering the equivalent of the 50's/60's and its a case of legs getting longer as hemlines get shorter. The previous centuries where Klingon women dressed in a similar fashion to their male counterparts can thus be view as the Klingon equivalent of the androgeny of our 1920's.

As to where the skirts are .... on earth we had women burning their bra's to protest and achieve "equality", on Qo'nos the women burnt their long skirts.

• Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    The thing about the 60's was that on TV almost every young-ish female was seen wearing skirts/dresses that stopped well above the knee, and as Star Trek was created during that decade it means the females on the show also wore them.

Check out the TOS episode Day of the Dove to see the Klingon version.
  • Options
    thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    Well, it worked for the Scots.

(Well, I guess. I'm not sure they ever conquered anything but part of England.)

They conquered nothing. It was, t best, prolonged guerrilla raid campaign that was soon curtailed. The Anglo-Hibernian borders have remained practically unaltered since the Roman occupation of Britain.

That's by the by, of course. Klingon chicks in battle skirts looks epic.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User

*Frowns*
    Constantly being requested for addition and experimented to see if a stopgap measure with other costumes will work until then. Unfortunately, the closest I've gotten yet for a full-length skirt is actually the Xindi-Officer top, which has that split in the lower half...

Wouldn't have to experiment if they'd just unlock the Robes options, especially the bottoms for Uniforms (and thus BOffs) instead of just Off-Duty...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    Just to share some examples of what's possible with the Odyssey uniform...
    L to R: Cadet, NCO, Vice Admiral, Acting Ensign, Field/Tactical

IMG_0490_zpsq2jbucg3.jpg
  • Options

When patching is done, I'll try to get a picture of one of my crews to add to this; Odyssey uniforms (mostly, I used the WoK belts) with Dominion War/WoK colors (Dominion War black with grey shoulders and the department colors from the WoK era on the chest stripes).
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    mkm1911#2674 mkm1911 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I get what you're saying from the "warrior image" pov, but this is where cannon lore and gaming diverge.

Cannon lore a uniform is a uniform, a person is doing a job for thier world.

Video games are to entertain. The moment I'm not entertained, I start a new game. And looking a the same outfit for years gets boring. So if I need to put a klingon in a miniskirt to make something different, so be it.

Your game is your choice, but I think some people don't care if their game reflects cannon lore or not, only that it entertains.

If you read the background I wrote for 90% of my characters, you'd definitely see that I've created my own cannon and I doubt the writers of ST would like it. Lol. Again, as long as MY game is entertaining to ME, that's all that matters.
    Post edited by mkm1911#2674 on
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    How do we know the TNG KDF doesn't have some people wearing skirts? We've probably seen not even 1% of the warriors in the force.

That's not nearly enough to draw a real conclusion.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    Well, it worked for the Scots.

(Well, I guess. I'm not sure they ever conquered anything but part of England.)

They conquered nothing. It was, t best, prolonged guerrilla raid campaign that was soon curtailed. The Anglo-Hibernian borders have remained practically unaltered since the Roman occupation of Britain.

That's by the by, of course. Klingon chicks in battle skirts looks epic.

Think you need to check history my friend ... at one time Scots controlled the land as far south as Chester. Point to note Hibernia refers to Ireland not Scotland.
  • Options

When patching is done, I'll try to get a picture of one of my crews to add to this; Odyssey uniforms (mostly, I used the WoK belts) with Dominion War/WoK colors (Dominion War black with grey shoulders and the department colors from the WoK era on the chest stripes).
    I really like the sound of the concept, I'll definitely look forward to seeing those B)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2016

This however I concur with. I'd love some longer skirt options pig-1.gif

EDIT:

Until then, skirts always remain a viable choice for every space faring starship captain.

CpF3fgd.jpg​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    2r3imfr.jpg

Standard uniform of a Klingon house in the 23rd century. Sure it's more of a skort than a skirt, but it is mini with "walk all over you" boots. I have no problem with the Bortasqu skirt being a default option starter uniform on a Klingon female, does not "feel" non-canon to me.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Until then, skirts always remain a viable choice for every space faring starship captain.

CpF3fgd.jpg

Ones which vanish off the face of the galaxy from S1 of TNG. Skants anyway, skirts from way back in TUC. Even there, other than Troy and Uhura they're still confined to background characters of little note.

Klingons in skirts I can buy (despite no Klingon uniform having them), Starfleet I can't.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Have you tried the Ocampan outfit?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,666 Arc User

Klingon chicks in battle skirts looks epic.

^^^^^^^

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    There was a game called Parasite Eve.

I remember thinking how 'James Bond Awesome!' it was to have the main character Aya Brea, kicking butt in a fancy black formal dress. 'Epic' is a word that could describe that moment. No harm if the KDF take a page from her book in my opinion.

That said Aya also wore jeans when she was actually planning on going into action. An excellent warrior either way.

Qapla!
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    "The kilt was just for everyday wear in battle we doned the full sequin ballgown to blind our enemies"
  • Options
    jade1280 wrote: »
    "The kilt was just for everyday wear in battle we doned the full sequin ballgown to blind our enemies"

Did that used to come with 'kit modules'? What was the cooldown on that? ;)

Qapla!
  • Options
    wag61283wag61283 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Figure I mention it in case no one had but female Klingons did wear miniskirts in the 23rd century or TOS
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    wag61283 wrote: »
    Figure I mention it in case no one had but female Klingons did wear miniskirts in the 23rd century or TOS

No they didn't. The wore a jumpsuit thing that ended in shorts.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

And it was hot.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    talonxv wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »

And it was hot.

Like a plasma fire! ;)

Qapla!
  • Options
    I was playing the KDF tutorial today just after 'Bringing down the House', and I put B'Ellara in those TOS shorts, thinking of this thread as I did so. :)

The toon I was playing is Talaxian, and has a red/black color scheme for uniforms and ships, which I hope looks both unified and threatening to others. The attitude I was looking for was offbeat and aggressive which is what I imagine any Talaxian would be if they were going to be in the KDF at all. I may have been inspired by the 3rd St. Saints a little bit ...

The Talaxian is a female, but a skirt didn't fit my concept for her, and I don't think I will use skirts any for any of her crew either. I don't know if anyone still cares about this thread, but I figured I would share anyway.

Qapla!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    naxaia_by_marhawkman-dansfwy.png
    Here's my Talaxian tac.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Here's my Talaxian tac.

That is cool. ;)

I need to get a screen shot ....

Qapla!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Ok, I submitted a pic. It's been to long since I did anything with blogs, so this is the link.
    http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/3b/2d/3b2d0974ca824be15eae31bb419e3f641478594737.jpg

Some similarities
    Here's my Talaxian tac.

That is cool. ;)

I need to get a screen shot ....

I could use a refresher on BBCode seems like ...

Qapla!
    Post edited by admiralkogar on
  • Options
    coolbatman wrote: »
    i seem to recall that the TOS klingons wore basically the same uniforn (ala day of the dove) now if you were talking rommie female commanders, look at Ael from 'enterprise incident', besides didn't chief engineer Scott wear a kilt a couple of times ???

Only with his dress uniform, if I remember correctly. (Unlike Worf and Ro, who wore their culture heritage items all the time - Baldric and earring)