test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Launcher fails to Launch the Game (no more runs on xp)

2»

Comments

• Options
    grayflashgrayflash Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    on windows 10 i have the same problem
  • Options
    the0infamousthe0infamous Member Posts: 528 Arc User
    so is it fixed yet or did i download it for nothing?
  • Options
    carmen2013carmen2013 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    suaveks wrote: »
    For those who managed to launch the game once, and then it keeps crashing, try deleting "cache" folder from your "live" game directory. It that doesn't help, delete ".patch" and "prepatch" folders as well.

It may not work for you, but in my case after deleting the folders I'm able to launch the game again. That said, I have to delete these folders every time only to launch the game, because they're created anew the moment you start the game.
    Thanks mate! Deleting the folders helped me get back in game:) ... As for game quality , I find that if I have Reduced file streaming on and run with a 0.8 resolution scale and just about everything set to min or low I can play quite decently , except for the sometimes long loading screens .
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    carmen2013 wrote: »
    Thanks mate! Deleting the folders helped me get back in game:) ... As for game quality , I find that if I have Reduced file streaming on and run with a 0.8 resolution scale and just about everything set to min or low I can play quite decently , except for the sometimes long loading screens .
    These long loading screens kill it for me. Sometimes everything loads just fine, other times it freezes for a minute or two, and other times it just keeps freezing for a total of 10 minutes or so. I'm not joking. 1min freeze, 1 sec unfreeze, 1min freeze, 1sec unfreeze and so on. This has been happening for me for about half a year now, but not to this extent - the latest patch only made it worse.

So essentially, the game is unplayable for me on this particular machine. Sad, cause I've been playing the game just fine for about 5 years, and only after Delta Rising it all started going downhill when it comes to crashing and performance.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    So essentially, the game is unplayable for me on this particular machine. Sad, cause I've been playing the game just fine for about 5 years, and only after Delta Rising it all started going downhill when it comes to crashing and performance.

So sorry to hear that... I haven't encountered anything as bad as you have right now :neutral:
    If only you could get on for the winter event when it starts , especially now with the whole exclusivity thing going on
  • Options
    dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    I'd try renaming the gameprefs.pref file located in the startrekonline/live/localdata folder. That way your settings reset and it will create a new gameprefs.pref file. Don't forget to make graphics changes when you get in game. If it doesn't work delete the new one and change the name of the old one back. This fixes problems in a lot of games. So this is typically the first thing I try.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
  • Options
    lillyn43lillyn43 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Ok I want to give some input here I do realize it makes sense to upgrade to Windows 7 or better but for some of us at this point it isn't possible due to many reasons . I also want to add that if they haven't excluded Xp and rolled a patch so we may be able to continue to play then we should be able to play they need to fix this issue . I also have the issue I was able to get back on until the most recent update .
  • Options
    smugsuksmugsuk Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    For those who managed to launch the game once, and then it keeps crashing, try deleting "cache" folder from your "live" game directory. It that doesn't help, delete ".patch" and "prepatch" folders as well.

It may not work for you, but in my case after deleting the folders I'm able to launch the game again. That said, I have to delete these folders every time only to launch the game, because they're created anew the moment you start the game.

Furthermore, the game runs like sh*t now. I mean, it was running very poorly for some time now, but as it is, it freezes a lot, the textures sometimes take their time to load, and it crashes way more than it used to.

I'll be changing my rig in several months anyway, but as it is the game is basically unplayable on XP. Although from what I read people on other OS also experience serious issues.

I think it's the 'shaderCacheNvidia.hogg' file specifically that's causing the crashing, or something associated with that file at least. I tried deleting the files in the cache folder individually and it was only deleting that one that allowed the game to load and for me to play. Of course like you said the file is restored each time, so you have to keep deleting it otherwise it starts crashing at the loading screen again.
  • Options
    my xp machine was having all the usual problems, after thursdays (nov10th) patch deleting the cache patch prepatch folders let me log in, was great and I was able to play well for 2 nights with settings at medium, but had a few crashes here and there getting things sorted out. Well it's saturday morning and the game hung trying to beam down to the new featured episodes first ground map and now i can't log back into the program, back to it crashing 2/3 of the way through the cryptic loading screen and deleting folders doesn't help anymore. I can play on linux with wine but I'm new to all that and when I do it's cripplingly slow and graphics are jacked up, all I can really do is set admiralty and refine dilithium. I hope it miraculously starts working again and I can manage to play, hopeful next thursdays patch further improves the situation.

After a patch try to login without deleting anything for the first time. I deleted mine and the game crashed but after a force verify I could get back in without deleting anything . The next day I had to go back to removing patch , prepatch and cache folders though. Hope this works for you too!
  • Options
    dekk01#9572 dekk01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Was running Win7, problem started yesterday. Game freezing at he patch stage. Deleted the 3 folders (cache, prepatch and .patch). Finally got to the Engage stage. Will see if it keeps working.
  • Options
    iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I'm running the game on a Mac under CrossOver (a version of Wine), which is emulating XP, and was seeing consistent crashes early on in the Cryptic loading screen.

Fortunately, a great support guy at CodeWeavers (CrossOver developer) found a workaround: in the STO "Live" folder, copy the file D3DCompiler_42.dll and rename the copy D3DCompiler_47.dll (or if you can get a copy of the _47 file from a Windows 8.1 or 10 system, that may also work, possibly better). That seems to fix the problem, at least when running under Wine. Longer term for Wine users, there will be a problem if they start requiring DX11, since Wine can't support that, at least on Macs.