test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the point playing STO on xbox n ps4?

I have both xbox and ps4 but dont see any point or appeal playing STO on them. Who is in the right mind giving up years worth of accumulated goodies and starting from scratch?

Tbh, nothing beat the controls of PC kb and mouse. No xbox or ps4 controller beats kb and mouse.

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,605 Arc User
    The console releases were created for new players, not you.

Not everyone has a gaming PC, some people prefer to play on their couch.
  • stickystickstickystick Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    borg0 wrote: »
    I have both xbox and ps4 but dont see any point or appeal playing STO on them. Who is in the right mind giving up years worth of accumulated goodies and starting from scratch?

Tbh, nothing beat the controls of PC kb and mouse. No xbox or ps4 controller beats kb and mouse.

Silly and pointless thread. not to mention, it looks to have been written by a 14 year old with no thoughts behind it.

Here's some food for thought.

The game was ported over with combat mechanics, controller schemes and a UI tailored for the console and gamepads in mind.

People like me, who can't sit upright in a chair all day playing games, tend to enjoy games when we can lay down in the couch and relax after a day at work.

Some of us may not even be able to sit and play on a computer period, or others just simply can't afford a gaming computer.

I played this game on the PC myself, but being able to lay down on the couch and play beats any mouse and keyboard any day.
  • aliennumber5aliennumber5 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I like it........except when common server maintenance bugs the game to hell and back.
  • morgueragemorguerage Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    I'd rather play on a fresh server + controller more comfortable. I'll use my gaming pc for a game that actually requires that much hardware.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Yeah, the space combat is by and far much better than the other spaceship game I played (Eve). I hated not being able to actually control my ship there. I'm not looking for a battleship to fly like starfighter, that'd be so unrealistic as to be laughable. But being able to push the stick right and it turn right, to jam down the throttle and go faster or slower or even in reverse. It's all so very tactile and satisfying than, say, clicking points in space and hoping you go where you clicked. This is space, not a turn of the century naval sim.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • deathbykarmadeathbykarma Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    I traded in my kb and mouse.
  • loutheloulouthelou Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Because I enjoy it. And I've put over 400 hours into the PC version.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    at the end of the day its a matter of personal choice, some people like myself only have pc's and have never bothered to get a console so naturally play on our pc's, some might have consoles but no personal computer or perhaps have a pc but don't like playing games on it so they only play on their consoles if they have them so they may like the chance to play sto on their console, some might play games on both console and pc but be willing to give up any progress they have made on sto because they prefer the console version and some may prefer to keep playing on the pc because they don't want to have to loose all they have done and start again from scratch.

that's the beauty of computers and consoles you are free to make your own choices about what you have and how and when you use them, very little is mandatory although its getting to the stage where some sort of internet access is almost essential though there are still some around who still don't even have that, I still know of at least one person who owns a laptop pc but doesn't have home internet access at all.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• stickystickstickystick Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    I'm not looking for a battleship to fly like starfighter, that'd be so unrealistic as to be laughable.

unrealistic.

You're playing a Star Trek game, bud. There is nothing realistic about it whatsoever to begin with.

I actually would love a proper chase cam or a 1st person cam on some ships. Especially 1st person cam for fighters/shuttles.
  • jericho447#8216 jericho447 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    it's for people who havn't played the game yet and for those who didn't have a pc to play sto
  • bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User

Lots of people own consoles, but do not own a PC. Or, if they do, its most likely a tablet or Laptop PC with only a basic graphics card incapable of proper gaming.

This game is intended for an entirely new audience on Console, people that have never had the chance to play the game before.

There are LOTS of Trekkies on console you know!

I fall into the latter category of owning an Xbox One, and a basic but decent laptop. The Laptop is good for activities that are not graphics intensive such as Office stuff, and web browsing. It actually gets hot even if I attempt something simple like a flash game. (Candy Crush Saga...its ADDICTIVE!!!).

Also, its now a well known thing that Console releases for gaming are making a LOT more money than PC releases, as the console has a larger audience and for a micro-transaction game, far bigger whales.

XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
  • jargoljargol Member Posts: 13 Arc User

This. Precisely this.
  • fflymaxsterlingfflymaxsterling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Educated people can still use a keyboard and mouse on their console...

• xceptopecxceptopec Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Who is in the right mind giving up years worth of accumulated goodies and starting from scratch?
    No one.

The people playing it on the console are people who don't have a gaming PC to play it on PC.

Not strictly accurate, I play it on the XB1, enjoying the totally fresh start. I also play on the PC. (same with Neverwinter for the record.) Each has it's own merits and flaws (and I'm not referring to the current lacking content on the consoles), simply play on what you prefer.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    And then there's all the people who play the console version just so they can complain about all the PC stuff it doesn't yet have.
  • wasago02wasago02 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    null
    I played this on pc but must say that on console for me is controlling much beter my opinion.
  • d0nomegad0nomega Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    I don't own a PC, well unless you count my Surface Pro. So it's either my Xbox, PS4 or Wii U and ummm nothing comes to the Wii U lol
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I think that the answer to the thread title is straightforward - the point of playing (on whatever platform) is to provide a relaxing recreational experience.

To address the OP's statement in the first post - this is your own unique opinion and as such can not be broadly applied to every other person on the planet. You state that the kb/mouse combo beats a controller hands down, however someone who has never played any sort of game on any platform other than a console may disagree and state, correctly in THEIR opinion, that the classic PC kb/mouse combo has far too many control options at certain points in gameplay and reduces THEIR enjoyment of the game.

As for the point about giving up all your gear and shiny toys - again this is your own viewpoint, others may well consider that (a) certain items WILL be made available through normal gameplay and events (b) they can live without certain items that are really only the in-game equivalent of bling and (c) the benefits of being able to play on console instead of PC outweigh the need to have all the virtual thingymabobs.

At the end of the day, the issue comes down to personal choice and is only relevant to the individual making that choice - if they want to spend more real life cash to reaccumulate virtual items/wealth then that is their perrogative.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    There's no real reason for anyone who has spent years on the PC version, has most of the C-store stuff unlocked, has an LTS and max level characters all geared out, to ever hop over onto a console version.

But then, it's not made for us veterans, it's made for new people, though personally I'll never understand all this talk of controllers and couches, but that's just my preference, keyboard, mouse, PC, ahhh yeah, nothing beats that.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • yukon101yukon101 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Now that you can play it on console. I'm hoping in the near future I can use my Hotas X Flight Stick for STO pc version. Setting up keybinds on this would be great...
  • stossr2stossr2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I'm playing on console now after 6 years on pc because my friends that played on pc have moved on to different games. Not to mention having everything on pc got really boring.

So I elected to start over and play with my console friends in a game that I don't have the established bank to get my new characters whatever they want.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    yukon101 wrote: »
    Now that you can play it on console. I'm hoping in the near future I can use my Hotas X Flight Stick for STO pc version. Setting up keybinds on this would be great...
    About that.... I once got an Attck 3 joystick to work. Why? For the fun of it! I got a working one essentially for free, so why not?

See here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/896843/xbox-360-controller-keybinds/p9

and here

My research
    Post edited by markhawkman on
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yeah, Steve Ricossa (EP of STO) publicly stated the primary objectve of STO console is to tap a new player base; the console players.

Though some PC STO players switched over because they stated playing STO from a couch with a controller in hand is preferable to playing behind a desk on a PC.
  • n7ltrobbiesan#4337 n7ltrobbiesan Member Posts: 61 Arc User

+1 I used to be a PC gamer but got tired of sitting at a desk, driver issues, and to a degree—changing hardware requirements. Love kicking back on the couch and playing, just more comfortable for me, and slightly less headaches than dealing with PC.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User

+1 I used to be a PC gamer but got tired of sitting at a desk, driver issues, and to a degree—changing hardware requirements. Love kicking back on the couch and playing, just more comfortable for me, and slightly less headaches than dealing with PC.
    I would have just rearranged the hardware. :p You can pc game from your couch if you really want to. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    XBox?
    PS4?
    Thehell is that?
    New beer brand?
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Who is in the right mind giving up years worth of accumulated goodies and starting from scratch?
    No one.

The people playing it on the console are people who don't have a gaming PC to play it on PC.

Actually I went to the console because it is funner there. I still keep an eye on my fleet on the PC but honestly the console is a lot more fun.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

It's all about giving yourself access to as many customers as possible. Some customers only have PC. Some customers only have Xbox One. Some customers only have PS4. Some customers have all three or two of the three. The primary target customer in the case of the console release is new players. So what is the point you ask? Well ask yourself this.

Why does Walmart continue to open stores in China? What's the point, who in their right mind would go to a Walmart in China when there's a perfectly good Walmart down the street here in the US? Well, the Walmarts in China were opened to get new Chinese customers. These customers that didn't have access to the American locations. They weren't opened with the idea that Americans would fly across the pacific ocean to shop in their new stores in Shanghai.

Not a totally clean comparison but you get the idea. The console release isn't there for the maxed out PC players. It was made for new players and cut off players that could bring new revenue streams into the company.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    Personally, it's because I have friends that do not have gaming PCs, and this is the first chance I can play STO with them.

Also, tired of the completely FUBAR economy on PC servers, with everything costing millions of EC.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    I played on Mac. They dropped the Mac client. I don't wish to put emulators on my Mac. So I play on PS4
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.