Options

Starfleet Commander In Chief.

13»

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I always considered "Fleet Captain" being a title of a captain commanding a group of ships. Usually that's what a Commodore is for, but maybe there were different circumstances. Like when Picard or Sisko get to be in charge of a whole taskforce/operation they don't get promoted to Commodore, they're probably Fleet Captains in that instance.
    @angrytarg
    That may be true of commodores in the past. Now (in navys that still have them) they function as one star admirals (more or less) and in Starfleet they function pretty much as regular captians with one ship under their command. Even higher admirals operate the same way. VA Ross has at least two ships (at different times) under his personal command as well as being in command of a taskforce. Not really that much different in terms of authority than Sisko (ho's also had two ships and a taskforce).

As before, Starfleet seems to treat ranks the same way as the game. You get more experience, you get a higher rank. Your job dosn't really change (as evidenced by medical and engineering captians and admirals).
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I always assumed Pike was promoted to Fleet Captain in a mostly honorary gesture due to his injuries, as the Commodore said in The Menagerie "We didn't have the heart to retire him", but there is nothing in canon that says he wasn't promoted before the accident.

They invented a special rank for the poor guy :D. They couldn't even stretch to commodore for him? Even his KT version got that.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    He could very well have been a Fleet Captain before the Delta radiation incident. Remember, he was inspecting a Cadet Vessel. As a Fleet Captain he may very well been in charge of Starfleet Education and Training Command.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Checkof could be introduced as the top admiral, as could Scotty. Going with the entire temporal thing, I wouldn't put it past the devs that your own character from the future has been sent back to be the head of Starfleet in order to make sure that your character developed into them making you the only way the entire temporal thing works out right.