test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we address the elephant in the room?

13»

Comments

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    It's actually better than on PC, since it's slightly less possible to pay to win.

If you're looking for good PVP, STO is not the right game for you.

name 5 items that are relevant in PVP that you can't get via playing a f2p account. Forget the 5, name 1.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    It's actually better than on PC, since it's slightly less possible to pay to win.

name 5 items that are relevant in PVP that you can't get via playing a f2p account. Forget the 5, name 1.

T6 Manticore
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

T6 Manticore

He said RELEVANT. Not USELESS.

I'm more surprised anyone is even discussing PVP in STO. I've seen better PVP in Roblox.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »

T6 Manticore

He said RELEVANT. Not USELESS.

I was just being a smarta$$. There isn't anything that a F2P player can't get besides literally that ship (and the T5 version). It WILL take a F2P player longer, and is more annoying due to character limits on one account. A paying member can have way more alts to farm to get dilithium, ec, etc. A lifer gets enough "free" zen to buy 2 T6 ships a year, and can usually farm enough dilithium every 2-3 months (I have 10 alts myself and just doing the DOFF and Admiralty can get 600k - 900k dil a month).

So....RELEVANT item = Time. A paying/lifetime will spend less time, and with boosts will get more from doing the same missions as an F2P. Time = Money.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Have you guys who love pvp and play through arc, tried APB?

I did yesterday. I suck at pvp!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Who plays through Arc?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

So....RELEVANT item = Time. A paying/lifetime will spend less time, and with boosts will get more from doing the same missions as an F2P. Time = Money.

yeah, but you are not locked out, that is the defining part... we had this discussion already some time ago. pay to win literally means that you NEED (no way around) real money to get to the best items in a game.

and by your own logic, f2p only means you pay more, since time =money, therefore more time = more money.

Go pro or go home
  • Options
    Yes. I'm in total agreement with you. I literally was just being a smarta$$. I've been a yuuuge proponent of giving SOMETHING worthwhile to paying players, esp lifers. Right now, it's literally the liberated borg, and the Chimaera/Manticore as exclusive. Since Cryptic is ALL about the money, it boggles the mind why they don't really make it worth the money for a player. I bought a life account years ago, so I have it now and it's fine. But I wouldn't advise anyone to go buy a lifetime account right now, as the game mechanics have improved, I no longer see why it's worth it.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Yes. I'm in total agreement with you. I literally was just being a smarta$$. I've been a yuuuge proponent of giving SOMETHING worthwhile to paying players, esp lifers. Right now, it's literally the liberated borg, and the Chimaera/Manticore as exclusive. Since Cryptic is ALL about the money, it boggles the mind why they don't really make it worth the money for a player. I bought a life account years ago, so I have it now and it's fine. But I wouldn't advise anyone to go buy a lifetime account right now, as the game mechanics have improved, I no longer see why it's worth it.

Why does everybody forget about Talaxians? I would even give you some if I could. :D
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Who plays through Arc?

A lot of people. Mostly those who don't play through Steam. You find out who's doing it from time to time when they post threads on here asking about the "arc rewards" that run for logging in to different games. Those crop up about once a month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2016

it ain't woth it. I think I commented in that thread by saying that the subscribers should get a significant XP boost for specialization and maybe even double the Zen stipend for subscribers (not lifetimers)...maybe even open up subscription for lifers too, so they can get both stipends. That would probably normalize the dilithium exchange again.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited September 2016

it ain't woth it. I think I commented in that thread by saying that the subscribers should get a significant XP boost for specialization and maybe even double the Zen stipend for subscribers (not lifetimers)...maybe even open up subscription for lifers too, so they can get both stipends. That would probably normalize the dilithium exchange again.

I think the way the exchange is going now is perfect for Cryptic, buying Zen with dillithium is discouraged by the high price while people who actually need dillithium get tons of it for their Zen.
  • Options
    qjunior wrote: »
    I think the way the exchange is going now is perfect for Cryptic, buying Zen with dillithium is discouraged by the high price while people who actually need dillithium get tons of it for their Zen.

you are right.

Go pro or go home
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    qjunior wrote: »

Correct. Those asking for normalization of that market are forgetting that they benefit from Zen sales, therefore they are losing on the Dil to Zen conversion so the more Dil it costs per Zen further strengthens their side.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    kjfett wrote: »

Correct. Those asking for normalization of that market are forgetting that they benefit from Zen sales, therefore they are losing on the Dil to Zen conversion so the more Dil it costs per Zen further strengthens their side.

just want to mention, that turnover is a relevant factor here... at a lower rate, you might have a higher turnover rate. In other words, if the prize is too high, less people buy Zen with their dilithium. So even at a lower rate of Zen per dilithium, the turnover might be higher resulting in a bigger gain for cryptic.
    But this assumption is hard to backup without actually having the long term data only cryptic has. But I thought it is worth mentioning.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I suspect the people who have all the data AND benefit from the highest amount of real money entering the system are quite thoughtful about when and how much to goose the exchange rate with events and sales. They could easily take actions that would NAIL the ratio to 500:1... and don't.
  • Options
    galaxicongalaxicon Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »

Just where are these "thousands of bug" that you claim. In the near 6 years I've played, I've barely encountered a dozen!

It all depends on how many times you ran Bug Hunt mission. I am working up to thousands, love that map!

• Options
    galaxicongalaxicon Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I thought we were gonna talk about how the Bajorans are ruining this game....but i guess we're gonna ignore the real issues.

This is the best signature I have seen in weeks, thank you!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    galaxicon wrote: »
    leemwatson wrote: »
    Just where are these "thousands of bug" that you claim. In the near 6 years I've played, I've barely encountered a dozen!
    It all depends on how many times you ran Bug Hunt mission. I am working up to thousands, love that map!
    Make sure to have a willpower buff. Those stupid flying bugs can hypnotize you.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg