test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we address the elephant in the room?

molvaniamolvania Member Posts: 7 Arc User
So, can we address the pretty considerable lack of quality in this game? Broken animations, missing animations, insane difficulty spikes and drops, broken textures, boring missions, repetitive missions, padding...

The core mechanics are fine, but so much of it just doesn't work. I've seen people sliding in the reference position during Romulan Mystery, I've seen the Herald knocked through the map on Quo'nos so many times I've lost count. I've had the audio dsync, and I've had missions that border-lined impossible for certain builds... and that's not including the times the AI has just stopped and enemies or companions have just gone completely still. Not lag, just... stopped. Stopped moving. Stopped fighting.

I really, REALLY hoped that the new content would be better, what with the console release. It had to be, right? You have to make an impression. And then I got knocked into a hole in Miner instabilities. There is no escape. No command I can use to get out. I'm literally stuck. It's been ten minutes. The other four players are doing fine, if taking a while. I didn't get knocked through the map. Someone put this hole there. This was a part of the design.

...Why? Just... why? Why is this game so shoddy? Is it really not worth the cost to fix? Because there's fun mechanics and a giant license behind this. This game should be a monstrously successful property that's just... so underwhelming, so broken.

Comments

• Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    Erm... and where's the elephant?
    I came in here for the elephant...
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    You fell into a hole? Cause that's never happened in any other game. /stuck /unstuck or the best.... /killme

http://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_console_commands

Every game has this issue and most every game has commands like these to fix them. SWTOR is the worst in my opinion. I was always getting stuck in cracks in that game.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    molvaniamolvania Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Stuck and unstuck didn't work, not nearly enough movement, and killme just brought up the bug reporting window. So, sorry Kjfett, but you're very, VERY wrong.

Also that doesn't address the thousands of other bugs.
  • Options
    grishimgrishim Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    kjfett wrote: »
    You fell into a hole? Cause that's never happened in any other game. /stuck /unstuck or the best.... /killme

http://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_console_commands

Every game has this issue and most every game has commands like these to fix them. SWTOR is the worst in my opinion. I was always getting stuck in cracks in that game.

Have to agree, every single game I have ever played except MUDD's have clipping issues.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Sinks are very common in MMO's. B)
  • Options
    well...this would be a perfect time to use that bug report windows as you clearly found what we all like to call a bug...not an elephant. It's the bug in the room.

I'm not denying the game has bugs. I just saying that when you find one like this, you should go ahead and address it through the proper channels so they can fix it and posting about it here isn't the proper channel....I believe there is even a sticky that says as much, correct? Bug Reporting = Not In This Sub-forum
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    misterlozmisterloz Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    I'm glad someone else fell into that bloody hole. No elephant in there though.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Not all bugs will get fixed. Just look at the thread about people's ships getting caught inside stars and Taco's response. He basically said they won't do anything to fix the problem because it's too complicated and that the players should just not park their ships beside stars anymore. Defera is a great example of long time bugs that will never be fixed.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I cannot adress the elephant. i dont speak elephant fluently...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,406 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I cannot adress the elephant. i dont speak elephant fluently...
    That's okay, Corporal Chisulo is quite fluent in WestGal.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Is it a pink elephant?
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    What missions are boring?
    What missions are repetitive?
    Where does the difficulty spike/drop?
    Where are the textures broken?

(a) Depends on your opinion. Personally I don't like Coliseum, despite the nice arena fighting part, and consider the rest of that long mission boring.
    (b) Well, the second and third Fed mission seem very similar (down to the same KDF station layout)
    (c) For many it spikes with Delta, and later Iconian and Na'kuhl, when enemies start using annoying abilities.
    (d) I have seen one or two.

However, not all missions will be the same level of quality in any game. And show me a RPG which doesn't have a few "bring me 20 bear pelts" or "deliver letter to guy" or "clear random dungeon" missions. Also, difficulty should rise during gameplay.

Maybe if you (not somtaawkhar-you, the OP-you) find the game as a whole boring, it just isn't for you. I don't like FPS games, doesn't mean they're bad as such.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I agree with the OP lots of annoying glitches and bugs. QC could do with some improvement

Here's you're elephants

https://youtu.be/Pl3YXl_m0uk
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »

I came here to address the elephant so without further adieu

*walks up to the elephant in the room tips his hat and takes a slight bow*

Mr Elephant? how do you do sir
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Not all bugs will get fixed. Just look at the thread about people's ships getting caught inside stars and Taco's response. He basically said they won't do anything to fix the problem because it's too complicated and that the players should just not park their ships beside stars anymore.
    Errr, that's not what he said
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I'm not saying that is a final solution, I'm saying that is a way that a player can IMMEDIATELY mitigate the likelihood of encountering the issue. We OFTEN suggest workarounds during the meantime that we're working on an issue. This was just meant as a lighthearted version of that.
    He is just saying that the problem is more complex than he initially thought and the adequate solution will require more time and work. Not parking right next to stars = temporary workaround, while the problem is worked on.
    (I, for example, never had this problem with getting stuck inside the star in the last year or more.)

• Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    del
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Not all bugs will get fixed. Just look at the thread about people's ships getting caught inside stars and Taco's response. He basically said they won't do anything to fix the problem because it's too complicated and that the players should just not park their ships beside stars anymore.
    I'm not saying that is a final solution, I'm saying that is a way that a player can IMMEDIATELY mitigate the likelihood of encountering the issue. We OFTEN suggest workarounds during the meantime that we're working on an issue. This was just meant as a lighthearted version of that.
    He is just saying that the problem is more complex than he initially thought and the adequate solution will require more time and work. Not parking right next to stars = temporary workaround, while the problem is worked on.
    (I, for example, never had this problem with getting stuck inside the star in the last year or more.)

I hate it when Devs actually engage the playbase on the forums; make a comment in jest and get roasted. It's like the playerbase wants to discourage their interaction. Tacofang was literally trying to get feedback to find and solve a problem and gets roasted when he gives a workaround while working the issue. Then to make matters worse, guys like @nikephorus take it and run with it as proof the devs are incompetent. :s
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

I hate it when Devs actually engage the playbase on the forums; make a comment in jest and get roasted. It's like the playerbase wants to discourage their interaction. Tacofang was literally trying to get feedback to find and solve a problem and gets roasted when he gives a workaround while working the issue. Then to make matters worse, guys like @nikephorus take it and run with it as proof the devs are incompetent. :s

Pretty much why the atmosphere of this forum is quite toxic, i applaud taco for trying to help the players and any of the dev team for that matter, its sad that others see it as a means to stand on their soap boxes and berate a dev who is trying to help.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

He said they wouldn't fix it then told us not to park next to stars in sector space. Go read his comment again. When something is broken in your game you don't tell the players that you can't or wont fix it and to live with it.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,552 Arc User
    Where's my elephant?

https://youtu.be/YaYc5UP8PsI

DOOOOOOMMMMM !!!!!!
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    Well, if people want the quality of any business to improve, the best way to do so would be to support it financially with actual money.

Of course, this also means you don't really have a vote to prioritize development funding- and the business can choose to ignore the players in favor of profits. Perhaps PWE/C would go a long way in giving LTS and Subscribers a new reward by allowing them to choose the current development priorities with a voting system via a poll, but I doubt that will ever happen.

It certainly would foster goodwill with customers and give incentive for people to subscribe to the game, IMO.

That said, masses of people playing for free, whilst adding to the "ambiance" of the game, don't really fill the development budget coffers.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    What missions are repetitive?

While this isn't an endorsement of the original post by any means, I would like to contend that Mission Replay for specific rewards does create a very repetitive gameplay experience.

Finishing up the Kobali set, for instance, can feel very repetitive.

Now, my way of dealing with that is to space it out, take my time and if I do want to hurry up and grind out a set, just do it on a weekend when I know what my goal is.

And a perfectly valid counterpoint is, in other MMOs if I wanted to complete sets, I had to "grind" the same content more often over a longer period of time.

So ... yeah. There ya go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    Well, if people want the quality of any business to improve, the best way to do so would be to support it financially with actual money.
    no argue about that, though I have to add that merely playing the game and thereby keeping it relevant and populated is also a necessary support. Once even the most popular queues only pop every 10 minutes you might have made a nice buck by limiting your game to subscribers only, but they'll be gone too if there is no population.
    Going f2p saved the game from going under, there is no argument to refute that. And the fact that those f2p members can buy game relevant currency from so called whales, is simply genius.
    Say about the lock boxes what you will, but it is a genius method to finance a game like STO.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    no argue about that, though I have to add that merely playing the game and thereby keeping it relevant and populated is also a necessary support. Once even the most popular queues only pop every 10 minutes you might have made a nice buck by limiting your game to subscribers only, but they'll be gone too if there is no population.
    Going f2p saved the game from going under, there is no argument to refute that. And the fact that those f2p members can buy game relevant currency from so called whales, is simply genius.
    Say about the lock boxes what you will, but it is a genius method to finance a game like STO.

Agree with your points- but also there needs to be a way to realign the game again where it makes financial sense, too. They really need to enhance subscriber awards so that it gives continuous incentive to drop money into the coffers, rather than just adding a few "perks" to the game.

That said, I'm not trying to make this a point of contention- the discontent was already caused by the ratio of F2P versus Subs when the game went F2P to begin with. Rather, I'm tossing in the realistic view that "good intention" doesn't keep the lights on. If they're really going to leave the business model in place as it is (F2P hybrid)- then there should be a really definitive reason for people to continue to shell out money in order to bolster the development funding, not just waiting on inconsistent Z-Store purchases to roll in.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    So you found the pit too?
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »

I came here to address the elephant so without further adieu

*walks up to the elephant in the room tips his hat and takes a slight bow*

Mr Elephant? how do you do sir

That was no elephant, Magoo--that was Morn!

boldly-watched.png