test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

EPG Builds - Dead without firing weapons

What do you guys think of the new EPG damage builds? I did a PVP test with a friend of mine and while granted, I wasn't even remotely kitted for PVP, he managed to kill me with JUST particle damage without even firing his weapons.

I would imagine that this would be an excellent option for the Crystalline and probably unstoppable in PVP considering what happened in our tests. And considering that there aren't AFAIK much if any resists available to exotic damage, this is probably the "new way" to play.
When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

Comments

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    What do you guys think of the new EPG damage builds? I did a PVP test with a friend of mine and while granted, I wasn't even remotely kitted for PVP, he managed to kill me with JUST particle damage without even firing his weapons.

I would imagine that this would be an excellent option for the Crystalline and probably unstoppable in PVP considering what happened in our tests. And considering that there aren't AFAIK much if any resists available to exotic damage, this is probably the "new way" to play.

I thought this was common knowledge by now, especially the Crystalline part.

There are indeed not many resistances to exotic damage (wondering if '+ all resistance' also applies to exotics damage?) but are they needed in PvE? They may be needed in PvP but well... do we really need to go there again lol?
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    According to Gampedia, the ResAll modifier only provides kinetic and energy damage resistance, not exotic damage resistance.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Modifier

I normally included a Neutronium Alloy and RCS Accelerator consoles for all my ships before the Conductive RCS Accelerator console was a craftable item. Therefore, all my ships have a Conductive RCS Accelerator [ResAll] console that is at least Mk XII. I find it to be pretty useful especially when shields are drained by Borg spheres or during times when shields have collapsed and I am taking direct attacks to the hull.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yes EPG builds can easily kill things without firing weapons. I mean I only have energy weapons for set bonuses and the rest are torps but I can easily ignore even the torps and still be effective.

Not really any more OP than the bazillion other build choices you can make, and it costs a shed load of resources to get a build that effective.
    I mean with the over-reliance on BFAW spam these days it's refreshing to be able to build something that goes against the grain.

As for PVP.....well we know what state that is in these days so the less said the better...
    SulMatuul.png
  • dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    I've had some fun with exotic damage on my two science toons ever since I finally got the right gear together and worked out a good set of boff powers. My first science toon was a Romulan who mostly stayed in warbirds, which doesn't exactly encourage sci-oriented builds, so that took a while. I've found it's most effective against clusters of weak to moderately strong enemies, but slows down a bit against enemies that can tank the space magic alpha strike because of how long the cooldowns are, even with all the reduction I run. Is there a cap on cooldown reduction?

I think we'll be seeing more gear with resistance to Physical damage coming soon, following up the consoles we got in the latest Time War missions. It'd also be nice if Polarize Hull granted physical resistance.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    What do you guys think of the new EPG damage builds?

I think that the long standing "meta" of spacebar online and BFAW being OP and in need of a nerf is a red herring these days. Which makes the forums even MORE fun to read!

:smiley:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    According to Gampedia, the ResAll modifier only provides kinetic and energy damage resistance, not exotic damage resistance.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Modifier

I normally included a Neutronium Alloy and RCS Accelerator consoles for all my ships before the Conductive RCS Accelerator console was a craftable item. Therefore, all my ships have a Conductive RCS Accelerator [ResAll] console that is at least Mk XII. I find it to be pretty useful especially when shields are drained by Borg spheres or during times when shields have collapsed and I am taking direct attacks to the hull.

"Exotic damage resistance" would be something vastly different than 'kinetic damage resistance.' Exotic is not a damage type, it is a type of ability. That is a similar thing to asking for "weapon damage resistance"; weapons can do all types of energy damage, kinetic damage, radiation damage, 'harghpeng' damage, and more. It is possible to directly buff or resist all weapon damage or all exotic damage, but that is handled entirely differently from how you buff or resist damage types such as plasma or phaser.

There are "exotic damage abilities", which are abilities that are exotic and damage. Nearly all damaging exotic abilities deal kinetic, radiation, or physical damage, but some do other types. As an example, Feedback pulse is exotic damage, but can be any type of energy damage. A Neutronium Armor console will protect you against most exotic damaging abilities, because it has kinetic resistance and resistance to all of the energy types. It will not help you against exotic damaging abilities that deal physical or radiation damage, because those damage types are not in the subset of all damage types that a Neutronium Armor console protects you against.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    There is nothing new about this style of play. I can't search effectively on my phone, but when I get home I can link to a thread about it during the time delta rising was still only on tribble. Some of the sadpandas used exotic particle builds to takeout the three dreadnaughts in borg disconnected elite in record time. And before that people were using them to kill borg cubes in cure space without killing the nanite probes.

These builds have always been around and mostly always viable. It's just now they are getting popular.
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    I remember going up against a premade sadpandas exotic build team years ago. All wells Temporal ships not too long after they came out. It was the king of science lock box ships at the time and several hundred million ec which was a lot back then. The amount of damage and cheese thrown out was unbelievable. Of course they went on with the name 'mirror cheese ' I believe if my memory still intact. Almost impossible to beat.

By the way, what ever happened to pvp in STO? :'( :*
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    By the way, what ever happened to pvp in STO? :'(:*

A toxic pvp community combined with a flagrant disregard by Cryptic to improve the pvp experience, such as making pvp more exclusive for a handful of dedicate PvPers instead of encourging pvp to be more inclusive of new players who can hop in and try PvP out without playing Respawn Simulator 2016.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    By the way, what ever happened to pvp in STO? :'(:*

A toxic pvp community combined with a flagrant disregard by Cryptic to improve the pvp experience, such as making pvp more exclusive for a handful of dedicate PvPers instead of encourging pvp to be more inclusive of new players who can hop in and try PvP out without playing Respawn Simulator 2016.​​

Negative nothing quote "ever happened to it it still here all you have to do is join the organized PVP channel it's been around for eons and there are tons of people ON it and there are tons of people who PVP fight in kerrat everyday.... With PVP in this game you must remember the meta-is totally different than it is for PVe a lot of care Bears forget that and get face rolled within the first couple of seconds ..... Could be improved yes.... I can't believe that they are about to release a game to PlayStation 4 an Xbox one to a group of people (console gamers) who with games like call of duty battlefield overwatch league of legends and the list goes on these guys love their PVP no matter what shape form or look that it may have but no.... These guys still aren't going to address PVP at all they are just going to stay azzhats .... And when those gamers descend upon this game and find out how broken the PVP is ...... nevermind I give up... They need to clean house... With that freaking ******* gecko first on the chopping block..... Six freaking years of broken preview Pvp promises .....you knwo what geko you can sod off!!! Here is an idea as nice as it is to do these voiceovers how about spending that money on programming input and other stuff into the game FFS .......... nevermind just nevermind
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    The old days of Kerrat were fun. It was a Honor to play KDF and escape the respawn inside a mass of Feddies. To escape the respawn point was a battle in itself sometimes. Some of the best brawls occurred at the respawn. Then they changed it. Sadly pvp is too broken in this game and I am too out of it to get back. Too much cheese and to much pay to win. Some of the best players in the game used to be pvp. Some real idiots and some real classy guys. Some chat channel pvping was even better than the ship battles.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    People still PVP in an era when a player can break wind, and kill you without firing a shot? Sounds masochistic.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    As long as your familiar with the damage types for the Exotic abilities being used, most can be resisted or flat out countered (TBR to Pol Hull)..The new Temporal stuff is physical damage and some of those abilities feature a nasty debuff (part of what makes the exotic weapons effective)..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I think a few years back we had a time where science abilities where incredible powerful as well. Peeps probably complained which led to the rather “weak” sci stuff I grew up with in STO.

If now comes a time where sci abilities get potent again then I salute the change. I don’t think a handful of pvp matches should influence the decision making towards the entire game.

As far as PvP is concerned I think it’s time for introduction for some pretty discrete gear and traits that are must have for everybody but which bring everybody to a common ground at the same time. :)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    ...waits for the fawgelisists to arrive and begin the usual 'science OP, plz nerf!' routine

C'mon guys...you know what happens if you praise any ability other than teflon faw
    edited August 2016
    burstorion wrote: »
    ...waits for the fawgelisists to arrive and begin the usual 'science OP, plz nerf!' routine

C'mon guys...you know what happens if you praise any ability other than teflon faw

Most peeps that are good at faw are good at science too.

EPG science attributes are more in fusion with faw builds than a ship’s tac console atm. ;)
    animated.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    EPG builds have worked for quite some time now. Even before Delta Rising. I remember that when I came back after 2 year of absence I got my first Romulan Science character a Dyson Destroyer and used Gravimetric Torpedoes and Gravity Well to blow up stuff. It worked surprisingly well. Maybe then not as good as the Aux2Bat BFAW Cruiser builds that were common pre-DR and all the cooldown reductions, but still effective.

Since then, there has been some power creep added to make EPG builds more viable. I think the Temporal Specialization was the "final" step to making EPG highly competitive / an equal to the regular beam damage builds.

I think this a good thing. As much as I dislike power creep - it's obvious that Cryptic didn't want to nerf BFAW or Embassy Plasma Consoles and all the surrounding mechanics to bring down their power level, so they had to add somethnig to other options.

I would like to see a few more alternatives and build options brought up to that level. Shield and energy drain, confuse, cannon builds, engineering officer / healer builds. Some of that requires "merely" buffing abilities to the right level, others might require a different mindset for building missions and NPCs and could be harder to achieve.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Ok found the thread as promised above.

Direct quote from one of the more relevant posts within the thread.
    naz4 wrote: »
    Trick is, don't worry about shields and go straight to hull. Right now with all the Sci traits floating about (conservation of energy, particle manipulator etc.), Scis do direct to hull damage better than Tacs (Tacs can still spike better).

Once the normal part of the run is done, drag all three "Boss" ships together, and recipe is as follows:

Sensor stack the target first.

Quantum Singularity manipulation (Rom T5 ability) + Sensor Scan + GW3 (2k/tic with max hit of 7k)+ Repulsors 2 (6k/tic with max hit of 20k) + ISO cannon (1 hit 40k) + Proton barrage (1 hit 10k) + Torp spread 2 (1 hit 2k with gravametric rift 3.5k/tic) + Warp plasma 1 (1.5k/tic) + Iso Charge with max hit of 212k = Chunks of hull ripping off.

You can hit all that in less than 8 secs (Duration of quantum manipulation)....

thats what 1 ship can do. We had 2 ships going at it. Now imagine 5 of this build. No need for dedicated debuffers and damage dealers.

SNB the Hazards on the Undine and FBP on Borg.

PS, the ISO Cannon is the new set power.

Scis have never been as powerful as this in in STO.

edited August 2016
    Ok found the thread as promised above.

Direct quote from one of the more relevant posts within the thread.
    naz4 wrote: »
    Trick is, don't worry about shields and go straight to hull. Right now with all the Sci traits floating about (conservation of energy, particle manipulator etc.), Scis do direct to hull damage better than Tacs (Tacs can still spike better).

Once the normal part of the run is done, drag all three "Boss" ships together, and recipe is as follows:

Sensor stack the target first.

Quantum Singularity manipulation (Rom T5 ability) + Sensor Scan + GW3 (2k/tic with max hit of 7k)+ Repulsors 2 (6k/tic with max hit of 20k) + ISO cannon (1 hit 40k) + Proton barrage (1 hit 10k) + Torp spread 2 (1 hit 2k with gravametric rift 3.5k/tic) + Warp plasma 1 (1.5k/tic) + Iso Charge with max hit of 212k = Chunks of hull ripping off.

You can hit all that in less than 8 secs (Duration of quantum manipulation)....

thats what 1 ship can do. We had 2 ships going at it. Now imagine 5 of this build. No need for dedicated debuffers and damage dealers.

SNB the Hazards on the Undine and FBP on Borg.

PS, the ISO Cannon is the new set power.

Scis have never been as powerful as this in in STO.

The thread in your link is old. In order to be more accurate you should also link feli’s reply to your highlighted post.

Sci powers are good again, yea. Still we have not arrived at a point where they have become too good or anything.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Sci powers are good again, yea. Still we have not arrived at a point where they have become too good or anything.

Yes. I think they've had a decent amount of buffs over the last few years but there are still plenty of BFAW-spamfest cruisers and beamscorts zipping round nuking everything in seconds so i don't think we're near to any sort of balance or where they are better yet.

I mean I might be able to kill a cube in seconds with shield-bypassing exotic damage but I've then got to deal with long cooldowns etc whereas the BFAW guys can just spam all day long and they don't even need to worry about arcs.
    SulMatuul.png
    edited August 2016
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Yes. I think they've had a decent amount of buffs over the last few years but there are still plenty of BFAW-spamfest cruisers and beamscorts zipping round nuking everything in seconds so i don't think we're near to any sort of balance or where they are better yet.

As I tried to explain earlier, most of these "fire at will spam fest" cruiser use potent sci abilities and stats on their own. It’s part of the the reason why they are so good. ;)
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I mean I might be able to kill a cube in seconds with shield-bypassing exotic damage but I've then got to deal with long cooldowns etc whereas the BFAW guys can just spam all day long and they don't even need to worry about arcs.
    Try not to limit yourself by judging powers as good or bad. Use them in sync. Different abilities thrive on different foes, that’s good the way it is. :)

If I bring one of my 100k sci ships in ISA I might end up doing only 1/3 sci and 2/3 conventional weapons damage there. If I take the same build into CCA it’s the other way around. Still, 100k is 100k.
    animated.gif
  • ray339ray339 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Epg builds are just LOL!
    They are way too strong.. my science has an epg build and i tested those new temp ops bo abilities and its quite easy to do 350k crits on a cube in ISA.. as i said.. as a science player so now imagine a tac with a gdf and alpha..
    Its the debuffs which are quite op (minus 160 resistance alone with rapid decay and sensor scan/fire on my mark).. additionally there are no phys. resistances except some low traits and one console of a mission.. anyways.. u can have as much resistance as u want.. youll get debuffed to hell with all those TRIBBLE..
    In PvP it destroys the last of the gameplay.. there are a couple of old pvpers still playing and a lot of new people who try PvP and then there are players who use the new stuff..
    Even on a cruiser with 100k+ hp and 87%+ all dmg resistances i can get onehitted by those phys. ****..
    But hey you could so something if you arent disabled the whole time caused by the temporal shipspecific disable TRIBBLE..
    So how do get new people into PvP when you can oneshot a pvp newbie with 200k physical crits with of course 100% shield bypassing..
    Tell me what you want but this stuff is completly broken in PvE AND PvP!
    Once you had to time everything but now its just spamming buttons..
    And there are no cooldown problems with epg builds since you can use krenim bridge officers, highly specialized starship trait etc..
    Its everything possible but hey and that is sad!
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Like previous people have said, EPG builds are absolutely no worse than the BFAW spam fest going on. It pretty much has the same shield bypassing potential with the use of plasma exploders.

Cryptic turned the exploders into burst damage consoles instead of DoT's, but IMO that just made things worse. And the irony is they later fixed the bug that caused those consoles to proc simultaneously anyway, which they kinda should have done in the first place.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    But epg stuff is more powerful if used right.. especially because nearly all of them have debuffs additional to the massive damage...
  • yoda2005yoda2005 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    Aahm...sorry mate but EPG in PvP is WAY more powerful than FAW.
    s7CQHZ3.jpg
    Yoda.. i have to add that faw in PvP is nearly useless.. :)
    Just take the new reputation active with a lot of points in epg.. you can oneshot a complete premade if you hit them all -_-
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    In terms of PVE, I think EPG based builds are in a good place. Not really as potent as other builds, but getting close up there (no I do not count FBP+FAW threat builds as "pure EPG" builds). If there are any really OP skills for PVE IMO, it's FBP and it's interactions with other traits and some consoles.
    "If there are any really OP skills for PVE IMO, it's FBP and it's interactions with other traits and some consoles."
    Because 350k crit with one ability (entropic redestribution 3) which u can spam every 15 seconds as a SCIENCE captain isn't op indeed.
    Additional there are even more spam abilities for aoe and single targets.. massive debuffs.. and dont forget the new reputation active ability which does so insane unreal damage..
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    A 350k crit in PVE isn't sustained DPS. From all the parsing I've done and the parsing I've seen, e30ernest is right ... in terms of PVE, exotic builds are competing with beam builds. Making the meta expand as there is now more alternatives.

PvP, which is the other half of what you're talking about ray339 is something else entirely. But in PVE, the builds are not overpowered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    ray339 wrote: »
    "If there are any really OP skills for PVE IMO, it's FBP and it's interactions with other traits and some consoles."
    Because 350k crit with one ability (entropic redestribution 3) which u can spam every 15 seconds as a SCIENCE captain isn't op indeed.
    Additional there are even more spam abilities for aoe and single targets.. massive debuffs.. and dont forget the new reputation active ability which does so insane unreal damage..

That is 350k every 15s if you can stack entropy within that time period. With the current state of affairs in PVE, good luck doing that consistently.

If you are going to look at things in the ideal scenario (like you are doing with Entropic Redistribution above), then there are many ways to hit over that in shorter time intervals. But things are hardly ideal in any match (PVE or PVP).