test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE A R&D PROMOTION?!

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    because servers and employee paychecks are not run on sunshine and unicorn f.arts​​

yes thats true. and because the normal game store sales can no longer sustain the game they should sell everything in lock boxes going forward.

and im laughing so hard right now at the peopel who said there would never be an end game connie. poor @thekodanarmada#7342

Not as hard as I'm laughing at all the TOS fanboys who will be falling over themselves at the chance to get a Connie, regardless of how ridiculously remote their chances will be :D

EDIT: And bonus points if, after going through all that effort to get one, it turns out the Connie sucks. What with the design being 150 years old by that point.

who cares of the age? we LIKE the design. we can say the same for tvaros, excelsiors, JJ prise and so on
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    rattler2 wrote: »
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Seriously, I am well aware that these kind of promotions are beneficial to game health. I'm just moderately bothered that Cryptic has broken from their pattern of using desireable Alien designs and have gone and put some of the MOST ICONIC Star Trek ships into a limited time gamble promotion. :(

50th Anniversary of Star Trek coming up. What other ships would you recommend for a Promo event that are as iconic as the triumverate of TOS ships? The Gorn ship wasn't that iconic and only appeared in the remastered version with CGI. Same goes for the Orion ship. The Fesarius would be too big. And I don't think we'll get a T6 Green Hand.

Thing is, does the release of the 'triumverate of TOS ships' have to be a gamble box promotion? Since AOY is full of "temporal shennanegans" they could have easily released the T6 version of the Wells in this promotion, people would have jumped at that one. And since the T5 was a Lockbox ship, the 'butthurt' wouldn't be as bad as it is now.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Because Promo packs are the best way to distribute rare and desirable ships, its not rocket science!

Umm, I think you mean it's the most profitable way to distribute rare and desireable ships. Which, I suppose from PWE's prospective is the 'best' way...

You dont' work for PWE, do you? ;)

(Lol)

Profitable IS best. Not profitable = NO GAME. And yes. more profitable is good. It makes investor happy. Happy investors = more money for R&D...which means more content for us who are mooching off the whales. Thank the whales for paying your share and enjoy the game.

Yes, in theory, increasing profit for PWE would result in larger development budgets for STO, but increasing costs too much on desireable products or even alienating your customers can have a negative affect on profit margins, Cryptic/PWE seems to be pushing the envelope these days in regards to just how much their customers will tolerate.

I hope it doesn't backfire for Cryptic/PWE... :|
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    That depends on the conditions that the IP holders imposed on the release of the T6 Connie.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, and to have this coincide with the R&D Weekend would mean that the R&D Packs would be 20% off and we can have none of that cutting into the oodles of money they are going to make on this.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    As a KDF player, I am thoroughly unaffected by this.

Except for the glorious exchange sales I predict in the near future.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    still mad that they are gonna put it in a stupid promotion pack thanks a lot devs for wrecking the 50th anniversery for me >:(
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    As a KDF player, I am thoroughly unaffected by this.

Except for the glorious exchange sales I predict in the near future.

You mean the K'Tinga doesn't interest you?

I think that's just another examle for why Cryptic keeps favoring the Federation - the Connie is obviously vastly more popular than the T'Liss or the K'Tinga. Popular enough that people rage when they can't have it easy or cheap.

The reactions on the Romulan and Klingon sub-forums or by Romulan or Klingon players in threads like this are... minimal. Though they actually have to go through the same hurdle to get their iconic starship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    You can't win if you don't play.

You can't lose if you don't play.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • warpnugget#0537 warpnugget Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    because servers and employee paychecks are not run on sunshine and unicorn f.arts​​

and yet for years mmorpgs with only a sub as their main source of income made money,go figure...
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User

and yet for years mmorpgs with only a sub as their main source of income made money,go figure...

Yet this game does not rely on subs to maintain it's income. That's the reason they went F2P.

If people really want to **** about microtransactions, then the solution is simple- don't spend the money.

I wouldn't hold my breath, however. :smile:
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.

Yet this game does not rely on subs to maintain it's income. That's the reason they went F2P.

If people really want to **** about microtransactions, then the solution is simple- don't spend the money.

agreed...Therein Lies The Problem thou,why should they change tactics if there are people out there who are paying for it,sad that it has come to this...

if there is someone to blame its us,well not me i havent spent a dime on this game since it went ftp,but the whales are just eating up these new ships just like it was content which it clearly isnt...
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

agreed...Therein Lies The Problem thou,why should they change tactics if there are people out there who are paying for it,sad that it has come to this...

if there is someone to blame its us,well not me i havent spent a dime on this game since it went ftp,but the whales are just eating up these new ships just like it was content which it clearly isnt...

They already changed their tactics, when not enough people spend money for a subscription to this game.

And it's usually a lie that subscription games give you "everything" in the game for the subscription. Most also sell expansion packs, and then your subscription will not give you "everything".

And subscription games have no less interest in making the game grindy than F2P games. The point is that either game model only works if people play regularly. Subscrpition games rely on people staying subscribed so they can grind their uber gear, while F2P rely on some of those people taking money shortcuts or buying other stuff in the game.

The current "tactic" seems to work, and it does because there are enough people okay with spending hundreds of dollars (possibly monthly) on this game, where as it did not work when every player was expected to spend 10 to 15 $ a month on it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    still can't belive they are putting it in the R&D promo pack the more dev blogs I read about it the more madder I get. It just makes me so mad and frustrated >:(

I SO HATE PROMO PACKS!!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    jim625 wrote: »
    still can't belive they are putting it in the R&D promo pack the more dev blogs I read about it the more madder I get. It just makes me so mad and frustrated >:(

I SO HATE PROMO PACKS!!

Welcome to the club, sir. ~she passes you a blunt~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Unaffected? Ha, buying hundreds of R&D Promotion Packs does not seem to be in the realm of the unaffected. More like, 'boy are we going to make a 'sh*t tonne' of money off of this one.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

I SO HATE PROMO PACKS!!

cc-coolfrog.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • exarch1701exarch1701 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I always wanted to get a t6 connie but after reading this STUPID dev blog it's stuck behind this really annoying and very very very very very very limited chance to win R&D promotion

I am so not happy about this stupid promotion thing >:(

Because PWE/Cryptic are a business, and they want to make a boatload of money from people with more disposable income than common sense by pandering to instant gratification and the absurd need of some players to show their proverbial "E-peen".
  • therealmaddmatttherealmaddmatt Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    The T6 K'Tinga is the one I've been waiting on for a loooong time, and if the exchange price for the D4x is any indication, it'll be $124 ($160 for us Canuks), barring the four-and-a-half months it would take to grind up the equivalent amount of pickles.

So much for that.

I suppose there's little wonder why Cryptic is putting these ships in the lobi store/luckboxes, if they have the potential to pull from double to over four times the cash from a given product that way.
    coldnapalm wrote: »

If by mmorpgs, you mean WoW...sure. Pretty much everyone else went to micro transactions. The sub system is dead. People agree with me and will not pay a sub model anymore. And if you are refering to games of the past...yeah...do I even have to explain why that doesn't work?

So what is your issue then? You get a free game. The whales get to happily spend their money for their shinies which isn't really any better then the stuff you get for free playing the game. You get a free game, they get their shinies, cryptic makes enough money to stay open...everyone wins. We go to a sub model and you have to pay, the whales don't get their extra shinies, cryptic doesn't make enough money and shuts their door and we all lose.

there is a difference,i chose not to pay because i hardly login,once a month if im in the mood for a spacebattle,would gladly pay for a sub and would play the game but you dont really get anything do you? aoy was a clusterfuck,players are deranged in thinking that ships equals content.
    so mmorpgs basically got more expensive,on top of a sub i need to fork out 150 bucks for a ship which should be available to sub players? yeah not going to happen...

this is sad and pathetic and worst of all the braindead league of players is to blame for this,this travesty of gambling for shinnies is in here,its in swtor and the damn thing is just a plague,wish i could turn back the hands of time and shoot the pu-to who came up with ftp,if you're mmorpg cant hack it as a sub based online game than just let it die...
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User

First World Problems.

This thread is full of fail.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited August 2016
    valoreah wrote: »

I SO HATE PROMO PACKS!!

Those promo packs and lockboxes are going a long way in helping to keep the game you enjoy running and growing.... just to put things in perspective.

nah,maintaining mmorpgs hasnt gone up in price these past few years,its still the same as it was back in the days when wow came out or maybe i dont know...
    is there some new hidden tax im unaware of?
    why have mmorpgs that are sub based been able to survive?
    and where exactly does it go in?

because i see no content coming out,all i saw was aoy which was a glorified tutorial and some episode missions which can be done in under an hour...apart from that all i see are ships coming out,is there a mental virus going around that makes players think that ships is actually content? if so we need to create a vaccine for it...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    nikephorus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure now that they are releasing the T6 constitution that the entire excuse about cbs saying no was bs.

Actually I think it's because it is coming up on the 50th Anniversary of TOS. So... Special Event thing. And since it is not a C-Store release... I believe a C-Store T6 is still a no go.

Yep - my big complaint though is on the 'limited time' aspect of this R&D promotion. If they just did a '50th Anniversary' Lockbox - eventually we'd see these items on their new 'Infinity Lockbox' paradigm; but with this R&D promotion it's:

"If you want it, you have a little over two weeks, then it's GONE...period." <--- That sucks, and it's particularly 'money-grubbing' as in those two weeks those who really want one (and don't get extremely lucky) will really pay through the nose to get one.

Oh and BTW for all those fans in this game who can GET their Hero ship at T6 and begrudge us old TOS fans who WANT our hero ship with a T6 variant available - and throw out the 'Break Immersion' argument - give me a %$#@! break. This game really broke Immersion in a major way once all the various alien Lockbox ships hit; or if you really want to get technical, when Starfleet 'allowed' us to design our own crew uniforms.

In the end it's a game, and while I don't have an issue with Cryptic making money and charging us to fly the Hero ships of a given series, some of the methods they choose really are unfair to certain cadres of Star Trek fandom - and that's what really sucks.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited August 2016

I SO HATE PROMO PACKS!!

Those promo packs and lockboxes are going a long way in helping to keep the game you enjoy running and growing.... just to put things in perspective.

nah,maintaining mmorpgs hasnt gone up in price these past few years?

,why have mmorpgs that are sub based been able to survive?
    and where exactly does it go in? because i see no content coming out,all i saw was aoy which was a glorified tutorial and some episode missions which can be done in under an hour...apart from that all i see are ships coming,is there a mental virus going around that makes players think that ships is actually content? if so we need to create a vaccine for it...
    ...because i see no content coming out,all i saw was aoy which was a glorified tutorial and some episode missions which can be done in under an hour......

I'm fairly certain that "maintenance" costs have certainly risen over the years...

New content, whether it takes you one hour or one minute to run through, is expensive to produce.

Don't forget, in addition to AoY, STO is launching on XBox and PS4 too. It's not like this was just a few keystrokes here and there in the code to make it happen.

yeah the maintenance costs could go up a bit but so have the subs,and the xbox and ps4 excuse just doesnt fly,lockbox gambling has been going on for years...
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE A R&D PROMOTION?!

Because the current lockbox is currently doing a roaring trade with the other universe version!! One Eleven

It is extremely unlikely that ships like this will ever appear in the C Store. But be forever locked behind the gamble mechanics, as it makes more money.