test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How many R&D packs will you buy for the new T6 TOS Connie?

Comments

• Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    orion0029 wrote: »

I don't play the gamble-box lottery.

Alternatively, I don't intend on spending ****-tons of EC for a single-character single-purchase. So I won't be getting one of these ships.

Shame, I would have liked to fly a T6 connie. :(
    Same here Cryptic has given the big FU to true fans doing it this way.

Ah...no true scotsman fallacy. Yeah FU too. I don't give a flying rat's behind about any of those ToS ships and so they didn't do anything to me (or for me for that matter). Also should I have desired one of those ships, I could just buy it off the exchange if I so choose...and there will be some on the exchange.

That is not a no true scotsman fallacy. Unless I missed another post that you're referring to, At no point does he state or even imply that anybody's argument is invalid because they "aren't a true fan". He isn't even making an argument there, he's just expressing his unhappiness with Cryptic's decision.

Please learn what "fallacy" means before trying to attribute them to others.
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »
    None. I already have the superior Kelvin Timeline spaceships. Why would I want that inferior Connie captained by the guy who isn't Chris Pine?

If I want any of the ships, I'll just buy them off the exchange for EC. I'd rather get them for free than spend Zen on them.​​

Except that's not free. First off, if the ship exists, somebody already spent money on it. And your time has monetary value. How many hours will it take you to grind up the EC to buy this off somebody? Consider that your time, depending on your career and level of education, can be worth anywhere from 4 to 400 bucks an hour. Now, sure, for some people, they want to play the game and have fun grinding up the EC anyways, so great for them. Some of us don't have that luxury, and even for those that do, it is perfectly valid for them to be unhappy about having something they have wanted for a very long time gated behind a mechanic like this.

I also think people are overestimating how available these are going to be. It's a limited time offer. That means the supply is finite, and this is a ship that has been highly desired by a lot of players since the game's inception. It's not like the bug ship or the Annorax, which were off-faction ships with niche appeal.

I genuinely feel like this is a serious TRIBBLE move on Cryptic's part, and I am seriously skeptical as to whether it was even a smart business move. It has severely cooled my excitement about this game and this expansion, and it's made me regret the money I spent on a lifetime sub, and the time I've put into leveling up my fleet. I feel unhappy thinking about this game now. Maybe that'll cool off, maybe it won't, but for the time being, I sure don't feel like spending anything on anything Cryptic wants to sell me, whereas if they'd offered variants of these three ships in a 9 pack on the C-store, (flagship style) I would have bought it in a heartbeat, and been THRILLED to do so.

Instead, I'm disappointed in the devs, disillusioned with the game, outright annoyed at a large section of the community, and reluctant to part with a dime.
  • Options
    The Constitution Class is TOO OLD to be at Tier 6. And TOO SMALL! This makes no logical sense in the game, especially in the context of how the ship tier system works. How in the heck can a Constitution class vessel, that was retired aeons ago, still be flown, let alone out perform an Odyssey, as well as go toe to toe with a Borg Tactical Cube. This is a museum piece! I can't understand how Cryptic would EVER tie their own game mechanics and lore into knots like that.

What gives?

;)

The game is now full of T6 ships that are smaller and older, and the Connie skin isn't the only variant. The Exeter, Vesper, and Excalibur skins are all MODERN STARSHIPS.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    heavensrun wrote: »
    None. I already have the superior Kelvin Timeline spaceships. Why would I want that inferior Connie captained by the guy who isn't Chris Pine?

If I want any of the ships, I'll just buy them off the exchange for EC. I'd rather get them for free than spend Zen on them.​​

Except that's not free. First off, if the ship exists, somebody already spent money on it. And your time has monetary value. How many hours will it take you to grind up the EC to buy this off somebody? Consider that your time, depending on your career and level of education, can be worth anywhere from 4 to 400 bucks an hour. Now, sure, for some people, they want to play the game and have fun grinding up the EC anyways, so great for them. Some of us don't have that luxury, and even for those that do, it is perfectly valid for them to be unhappy about having something they have wanted for a very long time gated behind a mechanic like this.

I also think people are overestimating how available these are going to be. It's a limited time offer. That means the supply is finite, and this is a ship that has been highly desired by a lot of players since the game's inception. It's not like the bug ship or the Annorax, which were off-faction ships with niche appeal.

I genuinely feel like this is a serious **** move on Cryptic's part, and I am seriously skeptical as to whether it was even a smart business move. It has severely cooled my excitement about this game and this expansion, and it's made me regret the money I spent on a lifetime sub, and the time I've put into leveling up my fleet. I feel unhappy thinking about this game now. Maybe that'll cool off, maybe it won't, but for the time being, I sure don't feel like spending anything on anything Cryptic wants to sell me, whereas if they'd offered variants of these three ships in a 9 pack on the C-store, (flagship style) I would have bought it in a heartbeat, and been THRILLED to do so.

Instead, I'm disappointed in the devs, disillusioned with the game, outright annoyed at a large section of the community, and reluctant to part with a dime.

Yep, after shelling out for AoY full package, in addition to all the rest for the past 2 years, might not buy anything for quite some time, if ever again, yo.

It's like like the carrot on the fishing pole bit one sees in the old cartoons.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User

Alternatively, I don't intend on spending ****-tons of EC for a single-character single-purchase. So I won't be getting one of these ships.

Ah...no true scotsman fallacy. Yeah FU too. I don't give a flying rat's behind about any of those ToS ships and so they didn't do anything to me (or for me for that matter). Also should I have desired one of those ships, I could just buy it off the exchange if I so choose...and there will be some on the exchange.

That is not a no true scotsman fallacy. Unless I missed another post that you're referring to, At no point does he state or even imply that anybody's argument is invalid because they "aren't a true fan". He isn't even making an argument there, he's just expressing his unhappiness with Cryptic's decision.

OP Most certainly did pose a No True Scottsman fallacy in his original whining post. It seems the person who needs educating is you.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The people Cryptic has to court if they want to keep the lights on won't even blink and an average of $250 per ship that enters the play-space. If anything they'll approve of the relative scarcity and the exclusive appeal of being one of the special few flying the most iconic ship in the game at full butt-kicking power.

The other 93% of the player base doesn't get a vote. No matter how much they stamp their feet. Or bluster. Or threaten to withhold their MINISCULE contribution to the game's income. It is the classic "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it".

Sorry you're not a whale. Enjoy the game made available to you. Or not. But it was never going to ALL be priced for the masses.
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    The Constitution Class is TOO OLD to be at Tier 6. And TOO SMALL! This makes no logical sense in the game, especially in the context of how the ship tier system works. How in the heck can a Constitution class vessel, that was retired aeons ago, still be flown, let alone out perform an Odyssey, as well as go toe to toe with a Borg Tactical Cube. This is a museum piece! I can't understand how Cryptic would EVER tie their own game mechanics and lore into knots like that.

What gives?

;)

The game is now full of T6 ships that are smaller and older, and the Connie skin isn't the only variant. The Exeter, Vesper, and Excalibur skins are all MODERN STARSHIPS.

Obvious sarcasm is obvious. You're batting 1000 this morning pal.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    vampeiyre wrote: »

OP Most certainly did pose a No True Scottsman fallacy in his original whining post. It seems the person who needs educating is you.

He isn't making an argument, dude. The no true scotsman fallacy is "You aren't a real (X), therefore your argument is invalid." He isn't refuting an argument. There cannot be a fallacy in something that isn't an argument. Take a damn course in logic.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    He said specifically that this move was an "FU to true fans" which is most certainly the fallacy in question.

Here is the full quote.

"Same here Cryptic has given the big FU to true fans doing it this way."

That isn't a fallacy. A logical fallacy is a flaw in an argument. He isn't making an argument, he's making an assertion.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

What gives?

;)

Obvious sarcasm is obvious. You're batting 1000 this morning pal.

Sarcasm doesn't necessarily carry well over the internet, and I don't know that poster well enough to infer whether he's being sarcastic or not. I've seen plenty of people making these arguments in earnest anyway.
  • Options
    *plays My Heart Bleeds For You on the world's smallest violen for heavensrun"

What exactly is the point of mocking people that are disappointed? What do you get out of it?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

He isn't making an argument, dude. The no true scotsman fallacy is "You aren't a real (X), therefore your argument is invalid." He isn't refuting an argument. There cannot be a fallacy in something that isn't an argument. Take a damn course in logic.

That's not what a no true Scotsman is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2016

If I want any of the ships, I'll just buy them off the exchange for EC. I'd rather get them for free than spend Zen on them.

Except that's not free. First off, if the ship exists, somebody already spent money on it.

But that person isn't going to be me. Therefore, I'm getting it for free. Someone else isn't. But I don't care about them.
    And your time has monetary value. How many hours will it take you to grind up the EC to buy this off somebody?

Maybe a day or two if I decided to start out with 0 EC, depending on my mood, and how volatile the market is. I'm also not desperate enough for a T6 Connie/D7/T'liss to pay Day One prices for them, I'll likely wait for the market to settle down before shelling out large amounts of EC, and even then I might get the T'Liss (if that). I already have a Fleet T5-U K'tinga so I'm not particularly interested in the T6 D7.

But the point is, I have a lot of EC. Even if I didn't want to spend my current capital on one of these ships, I am familiar enough with the exchange and the spending habits of people on the exchange I am quite confidant my net gains would be enough to purchase one of these ships in about a week (two at most).
    Consider that your time, depending on your career and level of education, can be worth anywhere from 4 to 400 bucks an hour. Now, sure, for some people, they want to play the game and have fun grinding up the EC anyways, so great for them. Some of us don't have that luxury, and even for those that do, it is perfectly valid for them to be unhappy about having something they have wanted for a very long time gated behind a mechanic like this.

It's perfectly valid for them to be unhappy, but it's not my problem that they're bad with money (either real or virtual money), and the barrier to entry to getting filthy rich in EC is extremely low. Oftentimes I get rich using other people's EC, not my own.

People said that with the Kelvin Timeline ships too. That it's "overestimated" how available the ships will be and that they'll never be sold on the exchange. But this theory, like that one, will eventually be proven as incorrect.​​
    Post edited by iconians on
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    In making this assertion he is making an argument that there is some grouping of people that are "true fans" this is false therefore it is a flawed argument born from his assertion.

That is literally not how arguments work.

(premises) therefore (conclusion) At most, he has made an assertion. That assertion can be true or false, but even if it's false, and "true fans" isn't a thing, that still isn't a no true scotsman fallacy.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Now I'm wondering... IF I were to get one... maybe I could just swap it for the Sheshar that I want...
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I'll take a T'liss if I find one :D they one of my favs
    If you can put the T'varro and Malem consoles on it, then I too will want one. I wonder if it has a TOS themed Romulan bridge? Might have to go all retro-Romulan outfits if it does.
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering... IF I were to get one... maybe I could just swap it for the Sheshar that I want...

I don't think this is an unrealistic trade. I'm sure there are a more than a few players out there willing to make a 1:1 trade for a T6 Connie/D7/T'Liss.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    "No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion."

Assertion, argument, whatever it is exactly a true scotsman fallacy.

Also, I've been arguing for over 3 decades, I am more than capable of determining what is or isn't one on my own.

You have demonstrated in other threads that you don't even know the definition of the words you use, so I don't particularly care what you think about your ability to argue.

You cannot have a fallacy without an argument, and you can't have an argument that doesn't have a conclusion drawn from premises.

• Options
    redvenge wrote: »
    I'll take a T'liss if I find one :D they one of my favs
    If you can put the T'varro and Malem consoles on it, then I too will want one. I wonder if it has a TOS themed Romulan bridge? Might have to go all retro-Romulan outfits if it does.

I think you can if you got those.

Me, I want the T'liss look, love it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    People, people Channel the invective and hated to Cryptic, not each other. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    "No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion."

Assertion, argument, whatever it is exactly a true scotsman fallacy.

Also, I've been arguing for over 3 decades, I am more than capable of determining what is or isn't one on my own.

You have demonstrated in other threads that you don't even know the definition of the words you use, so I don't particularly care what you think about your ability to argue.

You cannot have a fallacy without an argument, and you can't have an argument that doesn't have a conclusion drawn from premises.

Why am I reminded of this classic?

• Options
    ltminns wrote: »

More to CBS/Paramount, I think...why you think I always refer to them as low life neckbeards?

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

More to CBS/Paramount, I think...why you think I always refer to them as low life neckbeards?

Because you have a poor understanding of how media corporations work?​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options

Because you have a poor understanding of how media corporations work?​​

Yea mean corporations are NOT TRIBBLE*****?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I'm going to say Zero.

Still waiting for the default ship skin customization's on the 31st Century ships..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif