What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R&D Pack Promotion

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    So THAT'S what those pigs with jetpacks going by this morning was all about. I thought it was just a race or something.

watch your mouth, you racist <censored>! those are tellarites​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    happy squeal!
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    qbecks7 wrote: »
    Are you f*cking serious? There's no way these old, outdated and completely useless ships should have ever reached Tier 6.
    There's no need to do things like that just because some **** are demanding it, intelligent people should know that these ships are far to weak for the 25th century.

You sound Klingon.

https://youtu.be/tMrzdKzQTf8

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Something just occurred to me: Is it April 1st?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Are you f*cking serious? There's no way these old, outdated and completely useless ships should have ever reached Tier 6.
    There's no need to do things like that just because some **** are demanding it, intelligent people should know that these ships are far to weak for the 25th century.

Did you not see the word "Temporal" in there? My guess on it is that the Temporal Agency of the future made these versions for agents to use in those time periods and still have the firepower they need to deal with the threats of their present.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    scarling wrote: »
    LOL Just waiting for the complaints because it's a R&D promo.

Why shouldn't there be? So many of us were hoping that a T6 connie would be tied into the anniverary. Not locked behind a lottery pack.

Happy anniversary - now play our lottery for the most iconic ship in the franchise.

QFT - way to make TOS fans who wanted the ship really bend over for the privilege. Why aren't ALL the iconic hero ships in such packs instead of being in the C-Store, or part of an unlockable grind event?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    scarling wrote: »
    LOL Just waiting for the complaints because it's a R&D promo.

Why shouldn't there be? So many of us were hoping that a T6 connie would be tied into the anniverary. Not locked behind a lottery pack.

Happy anniversary - now play our lottery for the most iconic ship in the franchise.

QFT - way to make TOS fans who wanted the ship really bend over for the privilege. Why aren't ALL the iconic hero ships in such packs instead of being in the C-Store, or part of an unlockable grind event?
    I doubt that an Intrepid Class promo would get the same level of attention and spending.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Well played Cryptic, well played.

Get people desperate for a Connie to sell their souls for a Kelvin version to "make do" and then release the real version a few months later. And to top it all, put it in a lottery with worse odds than the lockboxes. Nice.

What annoys me most is that the dilex was just getting back to sensible prices and then they go shove a firework up it yet again. I get they want to make money I really do but a healthy exchange in favour of dil sellers surely encourages spending to some degree. I know from my point of view I'll never pay full price for a ship at 3000z, but I'd go half n' half on one with a favourable exchange rate.
    Not a chance in hell of that with current exchange prices.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    Dammit -- I, I, have the money for this... I better get a gold ferengi ship after this. ::Uses fire extinguisher on Debit card::
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I actually think this might not be so bad for the dil exchange. It may suck enough out of circulation that dilithium might become desirable again after the promotion ends. Is it really only a 4 day promotion?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I actually think this might not be so bad for the dil exchange. It may suck enough out of circulation that dilithium might become desirable again after the promotion ends. Is it really only a 4 day promotion?
    8/25 - 9/15
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Because not all iconic hero ships have had a CBS rule against their use in the end game. Why is the most immediate response to one of the most frequently created threads of STO the one thing people forget when the news finally breaks.

Yes, we get a T6 Connie, but as with the Kelvin Connie it's a limited release. We could have hoped things would change completely with AOY but it seems a compromise was still necessary.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    I normally do not gamble. I'm not technically opposed to it, I just don't. I might for this.
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    8/25 - 9/15

Interesting, it was changed post article release.
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Aw hell no. Come on, what's wrong with just selling something at a set price?

"Hi, I'd like a pizza for 5 euro"

"Sorry, we only do the chance of pizza for 1 euro"

"What's the chance of winning?"

"0.001%. But it's not gambling because if you don't win pizza you get half a silce of garlic bread and 1 of 400 coupons to a burger"
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Dil Exchange is about to be destroyed. 500:1 in next few hours.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    131vna.jpg
    No charge even...
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Stats?
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    cidstorm wrote: »
    In all seriousness it's question time.

...Only 4 days to get it?...

..Back to partying!

Quite possibly the most worrying detail...I have to hope that, like the bugship, this'll be popular enough to be brought back again. 4 days vs., what, 3 weeks a normal promo runs?
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    valoreah wrote: »
    THey should've put it in the c-store or as part of the Temporal agent bundle not in this lotters. Even IF you sell keys on the exchange it will probably cost far more than 100$. This is an epoc ship, the most requeted ship for years and now its bound to this lottery.or only available for very few players who can affort it.

It should be a given to everyone that this was going to be put into the game in such a way as to maximize profits for Cryptic/PWE. Adding it to the Zen store would have made them a lot less money.

With that said, all of these lockbox/R&D pack ships should be account bound IMO.

A C-Store 3/9-pack, with the full 3/9-pack needed to unlock the TOS skin(s), would have resulted in higher profits than this will.

I was watching for such a pack to happen so I could grab it right away, even though I'm currently not playing STO, but this does nothing to get me interested in logging in again, in fact it makes me less likely to do so anytime soon. First the Nagus fiasco, then the outrageous dilithium costs on the new uniforms, and now this ... Cryptic is doing a great job of spitting on their players right now.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    This is excellent news. I had held off on getting the Kelvin Timeline Heavy Command Cruiser for a couple of reasons (1 to see prices deflate and 2 to see what would happen come September 8).

Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to get this. And viola, my AoY experience is complete.

Oh and PLEASE UPDATE THE FCT THREAD TO REFLECT THIS NEWS!

Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    Did the Connie refit get a facelift as well? Hoping that @crypticttc was able to spruce up the model.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    You've just crossed the final frontier... prime universe faction ships in a prize box... this is a sad day...
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User

You sound Klingon.

No, the basic D-7 hull was still in use during the Dominion War. Klingons are big on re-using old hulls.
  • Options
    roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    I actually think locking the T6 Connie behind the R&D promotion is a GOOD thing, and not just as a revenue system. Let me explain.

- The Constitution is probably THE most iconic shape in Trek, and something desired by many since STO launched. Leading to...
    - If people want something bad, it will be EVERYWHERE. Look at all the JJPrises around and that only resembles the Connie (OK, JJPrise also has it's own fans, but I am pretty sure the majority of JJPrises are wanters of a Connie).
    - If the T6 Connie was made more accessible, it would likely reduce ship diversity in the Federation at Level 50+ (which is pretty diverse, especially compared to the mostly Scimitar using Romulans).

However, there are a few problems with this.
    -Boxed ships (be it Lobi, Lockbox or R&D Promotional) are 1 Char Only, no reclaiming. This really hurts people with multiple chars. Maybe allowing people to buy an account unlock (for let's say 1000-3000zen a ship) of any boxed ship they have unpacked (or at least those with console sets and/or special hangar unlocks) would make it less painful for people who have loads of characters.
    -R&D promotions are limited time, and often never happen again (for example, the Voth Bulwark has never, and never will (most likely, unless they do an Infinity Box style R&D promo), come again) leaving people who joined late, or didn't have disposable income at the time, never having the opportunity to get the ship.
    -I feel like Romulans are being a bit screwed, as they already have a T6 ship (the Malem) that is going to be very similar in look and feel to the one they will get in this pack. Yes I know the R&D pack one will have full Temporal powers and access to the T'liss skin (is the T0 T'liss getting the nice sleek TOS material, or sticking with that weird one it has had since it's creation (same goes for the T3 D7 (and Enemy D7s in missions like Night Of The Comet))?)

sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I was watching for such a pack to happen so I could grab it right away, even though I'm currently not playing STO, but this does nothing to get me interested in logging in again, in fact it makes me less likely to do so anytime soon. First the Nagus fiasco, then the outrageous dilithium costs on the new uniforms, and now this ... Cryptic is doing a great job of spitting on their players right now.

Well, those other two I'd label as exceptional blunders. Here I think Cryptic's just playing by rules we knew existed. Honestly, I think the more interesting question is why didn't Cryptic try a TOS Constitution/D7 RNG pack shortly after these things first started (how far back did promo planning for the 50th anniversary go?)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
    valoreah wrote: »
    THey should've put it in the c-store or as part of the Temporal agent bundle not in this lotters. Even IF you sell keys on the exchange it will probably cost far more than 100$. This is an epoc ship, the most requeted ship for years and now its bound to this lottery.or only available for very few players who can affort it.

It should be a given to everyone that this was going to be put into the game in such a way as to maximize profits for Cryptic/PWE. Adding it to the Zen store would have made them a lot less money.

With that said, all of these lockbox/R&D pack ships should be account bound IMO.

A C-Store 3/9-pack, with the full 3/9-pack needed to unlock the TOS skin(s), would have resulted in higher profits than this will.

I'm afraid some of your information is inaccurate! The fiasco that you are referring to regarding the Nagus T6 ship was a Perfect World deal as far as I know, not Cryptic! And the high dilithium costs for the new uniforms are in response to the outcry from the community in relation to current exchange rate for zen on the Dilithium exchange. i.e. There is far more dilithium available in game now compared to, lets say 3 years ago. So that drives up the price of zen.​​
    Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
    =/\= ========================================== =/\=
    Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
    U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
    =/\= ========================================== =/\=
    Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Figures...

Sorry Cryptic, but I've had to put a severe crimp on my STO spending since buying the AoY Pack.

Looks like I'll be watching yet another ship I would really like to have go flying by, rather than using it.

Dang, I've been waiting for this for SIX YEARS...

But I just can't justify spending more than the cost of a really good meal for two..., on just ONE starship anymore.
    If it had been offered at a set price, I probably could have swung it, but not at what the gambling price will most likely be.

I guess my interest in the game is waning, it is becoming more and more like a money pit, and less and less like a fun pastime.

<sadface>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    cidstorm wrote: »
    8/25 - 9/15

Interesting, it was changed post article release.

ok, well, it will be 495+ for a while then :smiley:
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."