If Crashdragon can do it. So can I.

Comments

• Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    ryan218 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    There's two things that appear to be happening there, the first is lense flare, the second seems to be a small flicker which is caused by the blue glow momentarily reducing. That bit there seems to indicate a drop in power after the power is diverted to the impulse engines. It happens about half a second after the impulse engines flare.

But it dosn't matter really what the warp nacelle is doing as the impulse engines also increase in intensity and flare showing that they are propelling the ship forward. So it could be the artists were glowing every engine port on the ship they could find to sudgest speed or that it's merely an unfortunate blending of lense flare and the normal blue glow of a nacelle that shines out of the rear instead of the sides.

I still think it's the latter.

Edit: I can't find a vid, but what of the other Kelvin ships? They appear ready to make the jump to warp at Starbase One and may be shown manoeuvring as well. How are their nacelles and impulse blocks lit?​​
    I just BigScreened it... The nacelle tips glow, then they spring to warp... Only visible light emissions, not exhaust venting... I think the confusion with the Kelvin, is because of JJ's g0ddamned lensflare looking like an after-burner (clearest in the second of the pictures I posted)

Perhaps the effects guys didn't take Pakled Engineering 101 afterall ;)

I think one thing we can all agree on:

JJ Abrams' lens flare is really frakking stupid. And annoying.
    I'm sorry I missed your post... :blush: Absolutely, there's a time and a place for lens flare, and JJ knows neither the time nor the place ;)

artan42 wrote: »
    TOS is frankly, unreliable as a source of canon as it simply wasn't written to be thus. It's only by filtering TOS stuff through TNG/DS-9/VOY, that the 'accurate' can be filtered from the random :D

You'd get no argument from me there. But I suspect TOS will affect DSC in the same way it affected ENT. Fans won't be able to look past their expectations of it somehow fitting into a series that even TNG didn't bother continuing from.​
    Expecting a series to fit into the series it is a part of, and which the producers specifically chose to make it a part of, is a reasonable expectation ;) As folks have said, we know how Starfleet looked during the time thanks to The Cage. TRIBBLE has that benchmark to aim for B)

So it has to look as primitive as The Cage (lasers?) while looking more modern than Enterprise?

This is the thing: ANY series or film set before TOS can't be a truly accurate portrayal to what we see on-screen in TOS because Braga & co so greatly screwed up the tech in Enterprise. Either way, this new show is going to have to disregard large technological aspects of TOS to keep in line with ENT and provide a show which can use modern show-making technology. The best they can do is to capture the 'feel' of TOS.

And before anyone lights that stake-pile, it shouldn't be very difficult at all to figure out what TOS-tech is complete nonsense - TNG did half that job for us. The rest is figuring out how much contradicts ENT, how much is plausible enough to keep, and where we can justify the disparities (for example, 'lasers' = 'phase pistols').

I'd personally like to see a uniform which combines the utilitarian functionalities of the Cage uniforms and the ENT uniforms.
    In a nutshell, yes...

I watched an advert a while ago, I think it was for house insurance or some such, which had a retro-styled robot 'doing some stuff'. One of the things it did, was to project 3-D holograms from its eyes. It was a huge incongruity to see such an old-fashioned robot doing such a more recent/futuristic concept, but I absolutely loved it, and thought "why couldn't such a robot be able to do such a thing...?"

If TRIBBLE was to use Cage-era tech, all it would have to do, would be to 'update the presentation'. Something like Kirk's 'black wedge' could be shown as having a shifting touch-display, for example. The OutofVerse explaination for the appearance of Klingons shifting between TOS and TMP, was that that (TMP) was how they were always supposed to have looked, but the TV budget never stretched that far. Of course, ENT gave a reason for that difference, which, stupid or not, is now the canon explanation...

All TRIBBLE would have to do, is to show that the time period of ENT was 'contaminated' by the temporal cold war, and it could be argued that anything seen in TRIBBLE (which is more in keeping with the Cage) is simply a restored or untampered time period (essentially, ENT could be wiped from canon, and something restoring more to 'the correct look' could be in place as a restoration B)

Just because something is stupid or ill-conceived doesn't mean it should be struck from canon completely. There are many (myself included) who enjoyed Enterprise. You can't wipe an entire series from canon just because aspects of it broke continuity. If we followed that logic, TNG wouldn't be canon because it changed things from TOS. TOS is a very flawed show in terms of its own continuity, which is why I made my points in the original post. Let's face it, if you struck half the episodes from TOS from canon (cough, Spock's Brain, cough) it would vastly improve the internal continuity of the series.

This is the problem: it's difficult to argue on the side of preserving continuity with a show which regularly violated its own continuity. It's like building a house on shoddy foundations. What made TOS great wasn't its tech or even its continuity, it was the 'feel' of the show. If DSC manages to capture that feel, then IMO they get a little license with the technological standards based on a show which didn't obey its own technological continuity 50% of the time anyway. In contrast, Enterprise did maintain its own internal continuity. I don't care if DSC takes creative license and skips Cage-era tech (given that tech is ditched completely after one episode) so long as they capture the aesthetic and 'feel' of the period.

To put it another way, you're asking to ditch gems like the Augment arc and Unity p1&2 in favour of preserving the sanctity of stinkers like Spock's Brain. ;p In terms of violating canon and continuity, I'd say there's more justification for wiping TOS(!) than any other Trek show. All the Trek shows had terrible episodes which broke canon in some way, but if we wiped them all from canon, we wouldn't have a canon left! :D

They already told for TRIBBLE, they are going the Enterprise series route. They want to use 2016 ideas. Issue is not to get too far advance so it would stick out too much.

Then again, TRIBBLE won't matter much. As their viewing numbers will be low. As double dipping into people's wallets won't help on that. I know I won't watch it at all. I don't feel like feeding greedy pigs.

That's your right, but you can't speak for European audiences (and we actually account for a very large number of ST fans). It's coming to Netflix or to cable TV here which makes it far more worthwhile.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Maybe 'wiped from canon' came over a bit strong... But what they need to do, is to work in a way which shows history moving toward the look and style of TOS, rather than the way of the Kelvin Timeline... I forget the exact quote, but in Trials and Tribbelations, Dax said something about the styles of the era being considered iconic, so they really need to be showing a time where that time is clearly still going to occur. Personally speaking, I think they've shot themselves in the foot, unless they intend being anything other than true to what was seen in The Cage. Although I've never watched an episode of Madmen as it never took my fancy, I've heard that their accuracy to detail even extends as far as matching the weather on a specific day O_O That's the kind of stringency which I think TRIBBLE needs to strive for... B)

They really messed up when they did Enterprise. It should been more "primitive" than The Cage episode. So it would show its leads up to that and TOS. This is the part I hate about the Enterprise Series. They could done the effects in more current like they did with the TOS Remastered, but kept the look. This way it wouldn't stand out.

Way they want to do TRIBBLE. They already already want say we are using 2016 stuff. That already is another let down for the series. More and more I'm glad I'm not paying for it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    That's your right, but you can't speak for European audiences (and we actually account for a very large number of ST fans). It's coming to Netflix or to cable TV here which makes it far more worthwhile.

Is it only for Netflix over in Europe? So you still have to pay for cable and that?

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Maybe 'wiped from canon' came over a bit strong... But what they need to do, is to work in a way which shows history moving toward the look and style of TOS, rather than the way of the Kelvin Timeline... I forget the exact quote, but in Trials and Tribbelations, Dax said something about the styles of the era being considered iconic, so they really need to be showing a time where that time is clearly still going to occur. Personally speaking, I think they've shot themselves in the foot, unless they intend being anything other than true to what was seen in The Cage. Although I've never watched an episode of Madmen as it never took my fancy, I've heard that their accuracy to detail even extends as far as matching the weather on a specific day O_O That's the kind of stringency which I think TRIBBLE needs to strive for... B)

They really messed up when they did Enterprise. It should been more "primitive" than The Cage episode. So it would show its leads up to that and TOS. This is the part I hate about the Enterprise Series. They could done the effects in more current like they did with the TOS Remastered, but kept the look. This way it wouldn't stand out.

Way they want to do TRIBBLE. They already already want say we are using 2016 stuff. That already is another let down for the series. More and more I'm glad I'm not paying for it.
    I agree, Enterprise did go a little too far technologically speaking, but, I think things could be 'brought back in line' if handled appropriately... (such as how Star Trek Continues does it, or how Prelude to Axanar did it, for example) Technological and social stagnation could certainly be explained could easily be shown by an appropriate event. For example, look at how the space program effectively shut down after the Challenger disaster. Yes, I know that they still send shuttles up etc, but the Drive To Go Further went out of it for a long time. Sure, they're talking about planning Martian missions now, but they should've been doing that twenty years ago... In terms of culture and fashions, while the 80s and 90s had a very distinct flavor, the 00s were pretty half-a55ed in terms of defining themself. If TRIBBLE was to show that the period between it and Enterprise was one of those 'slumps', it should be easy enough to show things as they were in The Cage, and steer things toward TOS...

Now with regards using 2016 stuff... Yes, rumors of using some of the actors to play the younger versions of the characters... That would be using 2016 stuff... As would using the ship designs seen in Prelude, where they took the KT Ships, but put PrimeVerse skins on them, for example... I may be giving them credit where credit's not due, but using 2016 stuff doesn't necessarily have to mean windows on the bridge, and brewerys in the secondary hull ;)
  • Options

Is it only for Netflix over in Europe? So you still have to pay for cable and that?

It depends. If we're talking digital TV, the UK has that free (have done since 2012), but satellite 'cable' is still a paid-for service. I'm not certain what the platform they're releasing it on is over here, but it will likely either be on Netflix or on a TV network. So, if they go with Sky as the network, like they did for Enterprise, we'll need 'cable' service providers such as Virgin Media or Sky TV, while if they go with SyFy, BBC, Channel 4 or Five, it'll be available on the free digital service. Basically, what you call 'cable', we call digital, and what you might call satellite, we call cable (because here there's been a focus on fibre-optic broadband over satellite broadband).

Also, I say 'free'... In order to watch live TV broadcasts in the UK, you pay a sort of tax called the TV License Fee. It's done per household and is paid-for by the rent-payer of the property through the Pay As You Earn scheme (basically, in the UK, HM Revenue and Customs automatically collect your tax through your employer by deducting it from your paycheck.)

I've checked, it's only been confirmed for Netflix so far (which means if it does come to TV, it won't be quickly), but Netflix has so many shows on it anyway that it's worth it over here.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I agree, Enterprise did go a little too far technologically speaking, but, I think things could be 'brought back in line' if handled appropriately... (such as how Star Trek Continues does it, or how Prelude to Axanar did it, for example) Technological and social stagnation could certainly be explained could easily be shown by an appropriate event. For example, look at how the space program effectively shut down after the Challenger disaster. Yes, I know that they still send shuttles up etc, but the Drive To Go Further went out of it for a long time. Sure, they're talking about planning Martian missions now, but they should've been doing that twenty years ago... In terms of culture and fashions, while the 80s and 90s had a very distinct flavor, the 00s were pretty half-a55ed in terms of defining themself. If TRIBBLE was to show that the period between it and Enterprise was one of those 'slumps', it should be easy enough to show things as they were in The Cage, and steer things toward TOS...

Now with regards using 2016 stuff... Yes, rumors of using some of the actors to play the younger versions of the characters... That would be using 2016 stuff... As would using the ship designs seen in Prelude, where they took the KT Ships, but put PrimeVerse skins on them, for example... I may be giving them credit where credit's not due, but using 2016 stuff doesn't necessarily have to mean windows on the bridge, and brewerys in the secondary hull ;)

Another thing we can agree on: Main Guinness-geneering was stupid in '09. ;)

Yep, now everytime I think of 09's engineering, I'm gonna call it Guinness-geneering. At least their at Condition Greene King right now. >:)
  • Options

Yep, now everytime I think of 09's engineering, I'm gonna call it Guinness-geneering. At least their at Condition Greene King right now. >:)

Well, it definitely wasn't probably the best engineering in the world ;)

If they were that tight on budget that they couldn't build a set, I'd have prefered a Horizon-style CG background rather than the lunacy of filming in a brewery and trying to make it 'look all reacter-y'... Perhaps they blew the budget on the interior of the Narada and had to start scouting locations ;)

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    At least it was more industrial looking than the TOS Engineering. I will give it that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

If they were that tight on budget that they couldn't build a set, I'd have prefered a Horizon-style CG background rather than the lunacy of filming in a brewery and trying to make it 'look all reacter-y'... Perhaps they blew the budget on the interior of the Narada and had to start scouting locations ;)

I can see Starfleet's in-universe logic, though. Such an engineering setup surely Fosters good relations! :grin:

Okay, I'll stop with the alcohol puns now. Hey, my Grandad was a Sheffield man, and part Irish, shoot me. o:)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    At least it was more industrial looking than the TOS Engineering. I will give it that.
    Absolutely, but why the question is, why did it have to be industrial at all? Enterprise showed something which had a bit of a submarine reactor-room feel, but still very much Treknowledgy. But using a brewery and liquid turbines? I'm sorry, I know that starships have 'slush-tanks' for the deuterium, but we don't need to be seeing them ;) I could (just about) tolerate the Apple Store bridge (apart from all those slack-jawed officers who kept looking away from their consoles the second anything happened ;) ) but the brewery, that was an ask too much, IMHO ;)
  • Options

I can see Starfleet's in-universe logic, though. Such an engineering setup surely Fosters good relations! :grin:

Okay, I'll stop with the alcohol puns now. Hey, my Grandad was a Sheffield man, and part Irish, shoot me. o:)

Well, my nan was Welsh, and I can sometimes feel a bit sheepish about that ;)

• Options
    I think the Into Darkness take on Engineering was a bit better.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    As in 'better than the last showing', absolutely, but still too many white catwalks for my liking...
  • Options
    edited August 2016

It depends. If we're talking digital TV, the UK has that free (have done since 2012), but satellite 'cable' is still a paid-for service. I'm not certain what the platform they're releasing it on is over here, but it will likely either be on Netflix or on a TV network. So, if they go with Sky as the network, like they did for Enterprise, we'll need 'cable' service providers such as Virgin Media or Sky TV, while if they go with SyFy, BBC, Channel 4 or Five, it'll be available on the free digital service. Basically, what you call 'cable', we call digital, and what you might call satellite, we call cable (because here there's been a focus on fibre-optic broadband over satellite broadband).

Also, I say 'free'... In order to watch live TV broadcasts in the UK, you pay a sort of tax called the TV License Fee. It's done per household and is paid-for by the rent-payer of the property through the Pay As You Earn scheme (basically, in the UK, HM Revenue and Customs automatically collect your tax through your employer by deducting it from your paycheck.)

I've checked, it's only been confirmed for Netflix so far (which means if it does come to TV, it won't be quickly), but Netflix has so many shows on it anyway that it's worth it over here.

Thanks for that, I got a better understanding on how it is over there. We have a PBS channel (I think that is the right channel) where our tax dollars pay for. Rest either you can get from antenna for no cost. Or you can pay for cable or satellite. Then you get into the stuff like Hulu, Netflix, etc. Reason why we still have antenna is cause some places you can't get cable or satellite, or you can't afford to watch it or don't want to pay. So its kinda for the "poor" people to use.

I hope many people over there can enjoy the new Trek series.

• Options
    Actually I think PBS runs mostly through donations. Every once in a while they have a donation drive thing during some special presentation. Watch this thing, and support public broadcasting by calling in and pledging your support. For x amount of dollars you'll recieve this thing related to what we're showing now. X amount gets you something bigger, and the biggest amount nets you everything we offer at the lower tiers.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Speaking of the Narada interior. What is up with some of the decks flooded? That one made no sense. And it wasn't explained on film either. I can understand they had a leak from earlier battles. But yet it didn't show any or talked about how if it did.

Or the catwalks with no railings. So you can fall to your doom or jump on.

• Options
    Mining ship logic?
  • Options
    As in 'better than the last showing', absolutely, but still too many white catwalks for my liking...

Speaking of the Narada interior. What is up with some of the decks flooded? That one made no sense. And it wasn't explained on film either. I can understand they had a leak from earlier battles. But yet it didn't show any or talked about how if it did.

I can't even begin to come up with an answer, it wuite simply made no sense... I think the comics say something about the Romulans messing about with Borg technology, but to be honest, the way they handled all things Romulan in that film was just a pig's ear of a mess...
  • Options

Thanks for that, I got a better understanding on how it is over there. We have a PBS channel (I think that is the right channel) where our tax dollars pay for. Rest either you can get from antenna for no cost. Or you can pay for cable or satellite. Then you get into the stuff like Hulu, Netflix, etc. Reason why we still have antenna is cause some places you can't get cable or satellite, or you can't afford to watch it or don't want to pay. So its kinda for the "poor" people to use.

Oh, I think I misunderstood what you meant by cable! Yeah, in Britain we've just about stopped using aerial TV. Digital runs through the phone lines now because it's a more-efficient signal. PBS sounds a lot like the BBC. In Britain, you pay the license fee to access live TV, but the money goes to our PSB (Public Service Broadcaster), the BBC. I think ITV also gets a little benefit from it, but BBC is the main one. Our phone infrastructure runs along the old telegraph lines, so the whole country has access, since the telegraph system covered everywhere by the 1920s. Digital uses the phone lines instead of aerials, but then you have services like Virgin which can use satellite, but often they upgrade the line to fibre optic and run it through that. Sky and BT use the same lines (BT owns all the phone lines in Britain, so they're OpenReach maintenance service also maintain Sky's connections) while Virgin uses a separate infrastructure.

It is a bit confusing. Basically, Aerial is now defunct. All the VHF channels stopped broadcasting in 2012. Digital runs through the phone lines and is free. Paid TV services also use the phone lines or purpose-built cable, but may also use satellite. All TV sets sold in the UK since 2012 have had to have digital support built-in, and it is very easy to get digital set-top boxes for older TV sets.
  • Options

I can't even begin to come up with an answer, it wuite simply made no sense... I think the comics say something about the Romulans messing about with Borg technology, but to be honest, the way they handled all things Romulan in that film was just a pig's ear of a mess...

Basically, most of the Narada as we see it in 2009 is the result of Borg nano-tech construction (yes, it's a daft plot device, but it's canon). In other words, Borg tech built most of the Narada around the original ship. That drill was basically the only non-assimilated piece of tech on the ship.

You can also thank 'Countdown' (the comic which established this) for STO's mission 'The Vault'. ;)
  • Options

Basically, most of the Narada as we see it in 2009 is the result of Borg nano-tech construction (yes, it's a daft plot device, but it's canon). In other words, Borg tech built most of the Narada around the original ship. That drill was basically the only non-assimilated piece of tech on the ship.

You can also thank 'Countdown' (the comic which established this) for STO's mission 'The Vault'. ;)
    Yup, that's what I thought... ;)

• Options
    edited August 2016

Oh, I think I misunderstood what you meant by cable! Yeah, in Britain we've just about stopped using aerial TV. Digital runs through the phone lines now because it's a more-efficient signal. PBS sounds a lot like the BBC. In Britain, you pay the license fee to access live TV, but the money goes to our PSB (Public Service Broadcaster), the BBC. I think ITV also gets a little benefit from it, but BBC is the main one. Our phone infrastructure runs along the old telegraph lines, so the whole country has access, since the telegraph system covered everywhere by the 1920s. Digital uses the phone lines instead of aerials, but then you have services like Virgin which can use satellite, but often they upgrade the line to fibre optic and run it through that. Sky and BT use the same lines (BT owns all the phone lines in Britain, so they're OpenReach maintenance service also maintain Sky's connections) while Virgin uses a separate infrastructure.

It is a bit confusing. Basically, Aerial is now defunct. All the VHF channels stopped broadcasting in 2012. Digital runs through the phone lines and is free. Paid TV services also use the phone lines or purpose-built cable, but may also use satellite. All TV sets sold in the UK since 2012 have had to have digital support built-in, and it is very easy to get digital set-top boxes for older TV sets.

They went to digital Aerial here. They did that like 5 years ago? Still its broadcast over the air. You had to install new antenna and some times a diverter box.

It would be nice to some better advancement like that over here in the States. Our infrastructure is getting rough over the decades.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

"more primitive" would have made it look primitive by real-life modern standards.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I would say for the "effect"? Even I'm lost on why a ship from that far ahead would have water all in the floor like that. I could understand if they was more aquatic type. Even with Borg tech, that don't need water either. Or all the TNG and Voyager would shown it.

These examples why I gave it a poor Star Trek base/feel rating. Too much that made no sense in all the years of Trek.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2016
    It's a mining ship with walkways juryrigged up over an immense cargobay. As for the water, it's possibly coolant or lubricant for the machinery. I don't know if anybody's been in a mine with heavy machinery, but it's very wet usually.

And Turbine Control is not Engineering. Main Engineering appears in ID.

I'm sure some fan out there could CGI out the brewery for the early scenes (and fully remove Scotty's magic water slide ride) if they so wished. But the real issue of 09 is all the h.acked out, deleted scenes where people are given backstories and motivations and ideas are given exposition.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    While it isn't relevant for canon it may shed some light on the issue: Use "Emergency Powers to Engines" in STO. Look at what happens - your nacelles will glow and power will be diverted to the impulse engines (there's the animation overlay suggesting that). Could something like this have happened here? Who knows...

The nacelles and impulse drive are 2 total separate units. They do not share the same systems. Even the thrusters are not shared with those.

Wrong. Warp Power can be diverted to every subsystem, shields, armour, engines, communications, sensors, the bloody hull plating.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    "more primitive" would have made it look primitive by real-life modern standards.

No not really. Cause if your going to do a Pre TOS or TOS you should make it look like it. The audience will recognize it. Cause it fits the time frame.

You don't do like an "Old West" movie with current stuff. You make it look like it fits and works in that era. And the audience recognize it.

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2016

No not really. Cause if your going to do a Pre TOS or TOS you should make it look like it. The audience will recognize it. Cause it fits the time frame.

You don't do like an "Old West" movie with current stuff. You make it look like it fits and works in that era. And the audience recognize it.

In my (limited?) experience, in the 21st century you do a Wild West movie with old stuff... and then promptly dump aliens or something into it. So, kinda like ENT's Temporal Cold War. :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »

In my (limited?) experience, in the 21st century you do a Wild West movie with old stuff... and then promptly dump aliens or something into it. So, kinda like ENT's Temporal Cold War. :tongue:

f139feec0e657b321bd35e1c6c7f8899_zpsx6xyt0h4.jpg

On the plus side, it did have <3 Olivia Wilde <3 in it...
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    I hope that folks realize that when Discovery hits the TV screens, most of the debate about what's part of the Prime Universe and what isn't, will become moot...

Mr. Fuller has already stated that he is going to incorporate aspects of the movies into his show (which is most definitely set in the PRIME Universe) and the latest teaser seems to indicate just that.

Plus, he is going to attempt to use some of the actors from the JJ-Movies to represent Prime Characters as well.
    B)

Incorrect.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-everything-we-know/

How exactly, does that article repute anything I said?

The teasers alone show aspects of the Sp-Fx from the recent movies being used.

It IS set in the Prime Universe.

And Mr. Fuller is quoted as saying, he would like to use JJ-Trek characters and their current actors in the show.

Your post, just proves my points.

smh
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    Except that KT Kirk is still Kirk.
    But if it is taking part 10 years or so before TOS, the only characters I can think of that might be able to make an appearance would be a younger McCoy while he was still married or even dating. So the possibility of having Karl Urban make an appearance as McCoy is plausible. The rest of the TOS crew... not so much. Now... Pike on the other hand is also just as plausible, and getting the guy who played Pike in the 09 movie would work. Either he or April would be in command of the Enterprise at that time.